AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-27, 02:26   Link #1841
garbage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
is it me or is this show starting to get weird ? or maybe ridiculous in its characterization, plot progression.
- anime only viewer here

seems also replies have dropped off considerably, I guess a lot of people have already bailed out.
__________________
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 03:47   Link #1842
hawkeyesvn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for complaints:
I'm glad now you understand why manga readers couldn't take this anime seriously after what they'd done to Alibaba's character development. Making original end is not something unusual but they should have done it according to the character's development, not something completely out of place just because they felt that the character is too mature and logical for the series!
__________________
hawkeyesvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 08:44   Link #1843
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
is it me or is this show starting to get weird ? or maybe ridiculous in its characterization, plot progression.
- anime only viewer here

seems also replies have dropped off considerably, I guess a lot of people have already bailed out.
Like many have been saying, the anime straight-up did a character assassination on Alibaba's personality.
It's not just a matter of "The Anime has an original ending so he's different" or "The plot is changed to fit the anime style" it's pure and simply that they are making Alibaba out to be a character that he is not and to be honest it's actually a bit disgusting. Not to mention that Aladdin's role in the whole thing feels severely downplayed even though he is THE main character.
So it's reasonable that manga readers and anime-only viewers alike are bailing on it.

Having an original plot/ending in an anime adaptation is one thing...but changing a main character's personality completely like that is downright criminal.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 10:16   Link #1844
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
I won't fault the manga readers for hating on it. Had I read the manga, it's very likely I'd be in their camp, maybe not due to the rushing, I like it when the pacing is good, but diverging from the plot and making characters different from how they were in the original work, I can understand that.

I don't think the animators (or better put, the screenwriters) are "dumb" though. At worst, they either weren't properly informed, or felt the need to appeal to some kind of "common" interest. You know, like how in old RPG's there was a tendency to have spiky-haired angsty protagonists with dark and troubled pasts. I put the "common" inbetween quotes because reality shows that creators often do not know what it exactly is about a work that makes it sell. Stay safe, stick to the things you "know" will work, copy the successful cliches, and avoid being "different". Basically it's capitalism at its best. And we all love living in a capitalist world, don't we?


Of course, that's just me theorizing about it. Either way, it's impossible for the changes to be made "for no particular reason".
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 10:57   Link #1845
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I won't fault the manga readers for hating on it. Had I read the manga, it's very likely I'd be in their camp, maybe not due to the rushing, I like it when the pacing is good, but diverging from the plot and making characters different from how they were in the original work, I can understand that.

I don't think the animators (or better put, the screenwriters) are "dumb" though. At worst, they either weren't properly informed, or felt the need to appeal to some kind of "common" interest. You know, like how in old RPG's there was a tendency to have spiky-haired angsty protagonists with dark and troubled pasts. I put the "common" inbetween quotes because reality shows that creators often do not know what it exactly is about a work that makes it sell. Stay safe, stick to the things you "know" will work, copy the successful cliches, and avoid being "different". Basically it's capitalism at its best. And we all love living in a capitalist world, don't we?


Of course, that's just me theorizing about it. Either way, it's impossible for the changes to be made "for no particular reason".
Thing about that is Alibaba's past is dark and troubled, but he moves on. He learns from his mistakes and becomes stronger for it. This just made him weak. If they wanted more dark and troubled Alibaba then they shouldn't have rushed the series, because that was Alibaba in the Baldad arc.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 11:01   Link #1846
DmonHiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Romania
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
GodDAMN it... they totally ruined Alibaba. Man, what happened to "his Ruhk is so pure"?
What happened to him fighting back on the curse? What happened with him learning from Kasshim?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 14:14   Link #1847
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portugal
Age: 28
Can't really say much else that hasn't been said before... Alibaba just feels too out-of-character for me to take his "fall" seriously.
And if I hear him saying "Kassim!" one more time, I'm gonna flip tables.

Good grief.. what a way to ruin a perfectly good show.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 03:11   Link #1848
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Thing about that is Alibaba's past is dark and troubled, but he moves on. He learns from his mistakes and becomes stronger for it. This just made him weak. If they wanted more dark and troubled Alibaba then they shouldn't have rushed the series, because that was Alibaba in the Baldad arc.
That doesn't really contest my point. I didn't say "character with a troubled past", I said "spiky-haired angsty character with a troubled past". Ok, so Alibaba isn't really spiky-haired, but this anime version of him seems to completely adhere to the "angsty" part (I know this goes against what I said a couple weeks ago, but I'm allowed to change my opinion right?).

Of course I can only theorize, but at the very least I believe that the screenwriters did have a reason for doing this, a reason that is born from capitalism, most likely.

That doesn't mean you're not allowed to hate that decision, of course you are.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 10:17   Link #1849
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
That doesn't really contest my point. I didn't say "character with a troubled past", I said "spiky-haired angsty character with a troubled past". Ok, so Alibaba isn't really spiky-haired, but this anime version of him seems to completely adhere to the "angsty" part (I know this goes against what I said a couple weeks ago, but I'm allowed to change my opinion right?).

Of course I can only theorize, but at the very least I believe that the screenwriters did have a reason for doing this, a reason that is born from capitalism, most likely.

That doesn't mean you're not allowed to hate that decision, of course you are.
Actually it still doesn't make sense because Alibaba was angsty during the Baldad arc, until he grew up and realized that sitting around mopping and feeling sorry for yourself doesn't solve anything.

So again if they really wanted that type of Alibaba they should have slowed down. Besides after that Baldad arc Hakuryuu's character filled the role of the angst muffin.

So yeah if they handled it properly they could have gotten their angst character.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:51   Link #1850
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
Actually it still doesn't make sense because Alibaba was angsty during the Baldad arc, until he grew up and realized that sitting around mopping and feeling sorry for yourself doesn't solve anything.

So again if they really wanted that type of Alibaba they should have slowed down. Besides after that Baldad arc Hakuryuu's character filled the role of the angst muffin.

So yeah if they handled it properly they could have gotten their angst character.
Note that this isn't MY logic:

If you want to make lots of money really quickly, you have no time to be thinking about stuff like that. You also can't take risks by focusing on needless things like "character development" and such. Consistent characters are much better.

Again, not MY logic.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:51   Link #1851
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Note that this isn't MY logic:

If you want to make lots of money really quickly, you have no time to be thinking about stuff like that. You also can't take risks by focusing on needless things like "character development" and such. Consistent characters are much better.

Again, not MY logic.
Oh I understand, and I do believe that was their logic, but it still doesn't make sense.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 17:58   Link #1852
chaos_animagic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Poor Magi... got butchered so badly (the cutted story line, animation cutboards, character personality changes....)

For this, I'll rate Magi anime a 4/10 (just because I still enjoy the manga, otherwise it'll be 2/10)

All I been doing now is watching the anime in KMplayer and skipping it by 5 sec just to "skim" though the anime... no real point in watching it fully, LOL.

BTW, Magi anime ends at episode 25 right? so next episode is last?
(doubt there'll be any more seasons afterward tho...)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:40   Link #1853
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Magi season 2 according to duckroll this fall lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...5#post52129755

Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:44   Link #1854
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
The CM after the episode revealed Adventures of Sindbad officially becoming a serialization starting in May, in Weekly Shounen Sunday!
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:44   Link #1855
mistress_kisara
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Magi season 2 according to duckroll this fall lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...5#post52129755
Is this true? Why did they need to butcher Alibaba's character if they were going to have a 2nd season in the first place?
__________________
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:50   Link #1856
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_kisara View Post
Is this true? Why did they need to butcher Alibaba's character if they were going to have a 2nd season in the first place?
Butcher? Yoshino probably thought he was improving him!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:52   Link #1857
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Magi season 2 according to duckroll this fall lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...5#post52129755

more liek fuck yeah

It might be a poor adaptation that completely went off the rails towards the end, but I've no doubt enjoyed the anime. Glad there's going to be a season two; hopefully some of the backlash against the first season will convince them to be more faithful to the manga this time around.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 03:54   Link #1858
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Based on this week's ep, the summary for the final ep and the manga, I'll be making my own predictions of how the finale will play out:

Spoiler for Episode 25 predictions based on anime and manga knowledge. Spoilers abound.:
Oh hey, I guessed most of the finale's events correctly. lololololol

So yeah, it ended nearly exactly as I predicted save for no second maharagan after Zagan. This anime original arc is actually not bad, but the key to enjoying it requires ignoring Alibaba's character development. Yeah... Yoshino could've done this arc without fucking up Alibaba's character. Didn't he have enough suffering emo Kaji character from GC? That, and not knowing how the battles in the manga plays out. In short, sucks to be a fan of the manga.

Besides that, the production values are really disappointing. I prob wouldn't have minded it that much a few years ago but now... Plus this meant to be Shogakukan's anniversary celebration title right? Where did the budget go or is A-1 just that bad at scheduling? Sakuga porn moments were so few for a title that just begs to be given beautiful action. =(

I'll admit that I did enjoy this 25 episodes despite everything. It's just... not the anime that Magi truly deserves. Can they please put Yoshino in charge of some shallow tit-fest and get someone else to handle the sequel?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic101701_1.gif
Panel taken from here (NSFW-ish). Translation/type by some /a/non.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 04:32   Link #1859
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
I can't wait to see her animated
Spoiler:


But at the same time, I'm affraid that they will ruin her image...
Spoiler:
__________________
Hiroshi Amearai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 04:35   Link #1860
mistress_kisara
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
I'll admit that I did enjoy this 25 episodes despite everything. It's just... not the anime that Magi truly deserves. Can they please put Yoshino in charge of some shallow tit-fest and get someone else to handle the sequel?
Yeah! GTFO Yoshino!!
__________________
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.