AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-30, 16:34   Link #1
Lockgar

Done with code geass, what anime should I watch now

First I would like to say Hello to everyone here. I've actually been using animesuki for years, but only recently decided to post this.

So I am done with Code Geass, and even though it had its flaws, I did enjoy it. Mainly because I love gaint Robos . Not to mention it held my interests at times, but at other times made me ask why I was even watching it. "r2 episode 20-21 " Overall though, I liked it. So if I liked that, what else do you think I would like?

One thing I do not want to see again, is an ending 3/4 the cast dies. Unless they had it coming . Prior to Code Geass I saw about 4 animes in a row with this ending, and was woundering if that was the new trend. I actually thought in code geass
Spoiler for Code geass:
. Needless to say, I found it odd that the majority of the forums where about who would end up shagging who ?

So what anime would you suggest after that series.

Giant Robo is a + but it doesn't have to be. If the show is good enough. I would lean towards anything that doesn't have a massive death count of the main cast at the end "random henchmen mooks or anyone who had it coming, that's fine, just not something like zeta (Zeta was awesome btw)". I actually don't mind if its violent.

I would like to stay away from Romance, slice of life, animes, those tend to bore me. Unless it has Giant robots, or some other awesome niche that is to insure explosions or hilarity.

Last edited by Lockgar; 2008-09-30 at 16:37. Reason: more info
Old 2008-09-30, 16:45   Link #2
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

First try Gun X Sword (Directed by the same director as Code Geass)

You seem a bit more old school...
If not that do a google on these ones:

Overman King Gainer
Getter ROBO
Mars Daybreak
Outlaw Star
Godannar
Duel

These are all non-death count friendly I suppose…
Old 2008-09-30, 17:10   Link #3
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
First try Gun X Sword (Directed by the same director as Code Geass)

You seem a bit more old school...
If not that do a google on these ones:

Overman King Gainer
Getter ROBO
Mars Daybreak
Outlaw Star
Godannar
Duel

These are all non-death count friendly I suppose…
Ok, sure, I'll give those a try. I have seen outlaw star, and enjoyed it . Yes, I would have to agree with the Old school comment. Especially before the large fluctuation of school life animes.

Side note, I wouldn't mind newer animes though.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Lockgar; 2008-09-30 at 18:00.
Old 2008-09-30, 19:55   Link #4
blewin

Eureka Seven - quite a refreshing take on mecha, got a deep plot and great characterisation with some hilarious moments. Don't worry, nobody dies.
Old 2008-09-30, 22:08   Link #5
Lockgar

Yes, I watched that one too, and it was pretty great. I would list all the animes I've watched, but can't remember them off hand, if I see the name I know though.

I don't mind if some characters die, I mean more like, if 1/2 of 3/4 of the cast die. " When I say cast, I am not including the villians, since thats mandatory, and they generally had it coming."

I want to avoid another depressing ending, after 4 in a row. "not including code geass."
Old 2008-09-30, 22:19   Link #6
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Well, to point out the obvious ones,
Fooly Cooly- hillarious, random, mecha, great music, nobody dies
TTGL- overrated, but still a great mecha series that is epic, few people die
Full Metal Panic!-people tend to not die, hillarious, pretty nice action
Cowboy Bebop- *warning episodic* great series in general
Ghost In The Shell- I've only seen the movies so far, but it is very interesting with nice Action, strange characters, a tad bit confusing though

Those are a few that I could point out at the moment.
Old 2008-09-30, 22:48   Link #7
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Last Exile
Trigun
FLCL
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Cowboy Bebop
Scrapped Princess
Old 2008-09-30, 23:16   Link #8
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
Well, to point out the obvious ones,
Fooly Cooly- hillarious, random, mecha, great music, nobody dies
TTGL- overrated, but still a great mecha series that is epic, few people die
Full Metal Panic!-people tend to not die, hillarious, pretty nice action
Cowboy Bebop- *warning episodic* great series in general
Ghost In The Shell- I've only seen the movies so far, but it is very interesting with nice Action, strange characters, a tad bit confusing though

Those are a few that I could point out at the moment.
damn, a little too obvious, since I've seen all those. Good list though.

Last Exile and scrapped princess, hmm, I'll look those up. I actually started scrapped princess, but complete forgot about it after watching 3 episodes. I tend to do that with series. Hellsing, I stoped at episode 6 and forgot to continue. Same with Excel Saga.......
Old 2008-10-01, 00:00   Link #9
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
TTGL- overrated, but still a great mecha series that is epic, few people die.
Come again?

If you haven't try Macross Plus, less romance than other parts of the Macross franchise, relatively few deaths (if it can even be pluralised), and as usual, great Macross action.

You've probably already seen them, but Top wo Nerae and its sequel are two that I always have to recommend to any fans of older mecha. (Though Top wo Nerae 2 was released pretty recently, so enjoy the great production values )

EDIT: Strictly speaking, these are like a few of wingdarkness' recommendations in that they're not really similar to Geass (nothing is, really. [Luckily?]), but you might enjoy them for other reasons (plus the few deaths clause.)
Old 2008-10-01, 00:26   Link #10
neothe0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockgar View Post
I would like to stay away from Romance, slice of life, animes, those tend to bore me. Unless it has Giant robots, or some other awesome niche that is to insure explosions or hilarity.
Zettai Karen Children. Not enough people are watching this show, so join us
Old 2008-10-01, 03:23   Link #11
Aquillion

Quote:
One thing I do not want to see again, is an ending 3/4 the cast dies.
I recommend Space Runaway Ideon. I assure you, no "3/4th of the cast dies" ending in that one.
Old 2008-10-01, 06:29   Link #12
Droplet
ヘ( ̄▽ ̄ヘ)(ノ ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
First I would like to say Hello to everyone here. I've actually been using animesuki for years, but only recently decided to post this.

So I am done with Code Geass, and even though it had its flaws, I did enjoy it. Mainly because I love gaint Robos . Not to mention it held my interests at times, but at other times made me ask why I was even watching it. "r2 episode 20-21 " Overall though, I liked it. So if I liked that, what else do you think I would like?

One thing I do not want to see again, is an ending 3/4 the cast dies. Unless they had it coming . Prior to Code Geass I saw about 4 animes in a row with this ending, and was woundering if that was the new trend. I actually thought in code geass
Spoiler for Code geass:
. Needless to say, I found it odd that the majority of the forums where about who would end up shagging who ?

So what anime would you suggest after that series.

Giant Robo is a + but it doesn't have to be. If the show is good enough. I would lean towards anything that doesn't have a massive death count of the main cast at the end "random henchmen mooks or anyone who had it coming, that's fine, just not something like zeta (Zeta was awesome btw)". I actually don't mind if its violent.

I think you should watch something less serious. CG R2, while enjoyable, is leaves you a bit breathless with its space, imo.

or something totally random, like excel saga, but it's not a casual anime viewer would usually like to watch.
Old 2008-10-01, 13:41   Link #13
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
I recommend Space Runaway Ideon. I assure you, no "3/4th of the cast dies" ending in that one.

I know who Yoshiyuki Tomino is , so thats not much better ether.

Zettai Karen Children? OK, I'll give it a try. I should probably finish excel saga.
Old 2008-10-01, 14:28   Link #14
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I'm pretty surprised no one even mentioned the gundam series as that would be the first thing most people would say when someone says mecha.

You could also look into Evangelion and RahXephon if you want.
Old 2008-10-01, 16:54   Link #15
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
I'm pretty surprised no one even mentioned the gundam series as that would be the first thing most people would say when someone says mecha.

You could also look into Evangelion and RahXephon if you want.

Well, I think I implied I was familiar with the gundam series. I can actually name those. I actually haven't finished some of them....... I should do that.

Mobile suit Gundam (never actually watched every episode, Kept skipping due to circumstances, and playing games based on it didn't help, but I know the start, middle and end...)

Zeta Gundam (Arguably one of my favorites of the franchise, despite the high body count near the end)

ZZ gundam (I actually have to finish this one, got to epsode 20)

08th ms team (Saw it on tv when toonami was actually good, but apparently they cut out an entire episode?)

0080 and 0083 (What weird shows, won't have minded if 0083 actually went longer....)

G gundam (My other favorite of the franchise, its over the top cheesy is what I loved, I swear it was a parody, how does the power of love create a beam, and why is it shaped like a heart? Is that a horse? how does a person's "fighting spirit" make the gundam stronger? WHO CARES!!! Made me love Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann even more .

Gundam Wing (because G gundam wasn't gay enough, but in this series, it got to uncomfortable levels, great action though, the plot ended up becoming similar to, I know, you know, that I know, that you know, that I know your plan, but overall, it had the Nataku suit, which is my favorite suit of all time, and it was the second gundam series I ever watched.)

Gundam Seed (because Gundam wing wasnt gay enough, the cast of mangirls will be a stain in my mind forever, no amount of fan service will change that, but at least they didn't act it "all the time". The character art for the women was fine, wouldn't that be freaky, if the guys looked like girls, and the girls looked like guys. I actually enjoyed the story "since I loved the original" but stopped after episode 23, not because it was bad, but because I forgot to keep watching, so i never watched Destiny ether, I did enjoy the robots fighting a lot in that series. I heard it got worse after episode 20 something, I really need to finish it.)

00 Gundam (Because gundam Seed wasn't gay enough, but this time, they manage to mix things I hated in seed "Character design for males characters, with things I hated in Wing "How half of them acted". + points for making the main character from a nation completely unused in anime, middle eastern, but it doesn't help that he really doesn't look the part at all. "O you have brown hair, you must be middle eastern ".... I got to episode 6 because more wasn't out at the time, and forgot to get the rest.)

Maybe that will help a bit?

Last edited by Lockgar; 2008-10-01 at 17:53. Reason: Grammer
Old 2008-10-01, 16:58   Link #16
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

No one suggested Gundam because Gundam usually ='s DEATH...Lots of it usually...

Lockgar, Now stop playing around...You gotta enuff suggestions, so get that bittorent revved up and start watching non-death mecha ;P
Old 2008-10-01, 17:00   Link #17
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Haha I see what you mean, Just look up Evangelion and RahXephon and you might enjoy them

@wingdarkness : haha so true
Old 2008-10-01, 17:08   Link #18
Lockgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
No one suggested Gundam because Gundam usually ='s DEATH...Lots of it usually...

Lockgar, Now stop playing around...You gotta enuff suggestions, so get that bittorent revved up and start watching non-death mecha ;P
Yes, gundam loves snuffing its characters .

Heh, ok, ill get right on that, but you can never have enough suggestions.
Old 2008-10-01, 19:31   Link #19
blewin

Quote:
Yes, I watched that one too, and it was pretty great. I would list all the animes I've watched, but can't remember them off hand, if I see the name I know though.

I don't mind if some characters die, I mean more like, if 1/2 of 3/4 of the cast die. " When I say cast, I am not including the villians, since thats mandatory, and they generally had it coming."

I want to avoid another depressing ending, after 4 in a row. "not including code geass."
ah!! I forgot another awesome mecha anime: Zegapain. It's pretty emotionally gushing and very mysterious too. Must watch till ep 4 to get some idea on what the story's about. It's got a hopeful ending despite the seemingly oppressive atmosphere.
Old 2008-10-08, 22:07   Link #20
Tier3

Bokurano, very unique... Go watch it!
Closed Thread