AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-06, 19:52   Link #1301
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
The anime never mentioned about Maou's long life-span so far isn't it? If that's the case, is it really okay for us who read the manga and novel to just casually mention it here to the anime-only watchers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 20:05   Link #1302
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
No it hasn't been mentioned (yet), so it's going to be considered a spoiler. Edit your posts, boys!

Reckoner: The term used in the novel I think is Mazoku (hahaha, brings back Slayers memories doesn't it?), which IS a blanket-term for all non-human magical races. So a werewolf or a faerie will still be called a demon by a human, because the average human in this world doesn't see the difference.
__________________

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2013-02-06 at 20:22.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 20:08   Link #1303
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
it should have been establish in ep4. this is really a poor choice by the director to exclude this piece of info.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 20:55   Link #1304
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Given that the Mage Girl (Onna Mahou Tsukai) is more correctly traslated as Woman Witch the fate of most human magic users might not be too good or very long.
The literal translation of onna mahou tsukai (女魔法使い) is "female magic user." There is a specific word for witch in Japanese, majo (魔女), which the show does not use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Reckoner: The term used in the novel I think is Mazoku (hahaha, brings back Slayers memories doesn't it?), which IS a blanket-term for all non-human magical races. So a werewolf or a faerie will still be called a demon by a human, because the average human in this world doesn't see the difference.
For comparison, the Japanese word for those evil spirits from the Christian Hell associated with Satan, is akuma (悪魔). Of course, English use of the word demon is wider than that narrow meaning, though modern uses pretty much always have an evil connotation.
__________________
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 20:57   Link #1305
zRichard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Safe from the BETA
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it should have been establish in ep4. this is really a poor choice by the director to exclude this piece of info.
That Demon Queen is not human?
__________________
zRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:01   Link #1306
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
That Demon Queen is not human?
Oh, so being a non-human immediately grants you longer life-span?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:08   Link #1307
zRichard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Safe from the BETA
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Oh, so being a non-human immediately grants you longer life-span?
It's a possibility to have in mind. It's fantasy setting, what's so strange about long lived demons?
__________________
zRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:09   Link #1308
XFire
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In between the Light and Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
That Demon Queen is not human?
No, she just looks like it. Head Maid and
Spoiler for spoiler:
are from the same clan.

Edit: I worded that wrong. I meant its easy for viewers of the anime (and readers of the manga, to be honest) to think of her as "human" despite being called Maou until they hit you over the head with her age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Oh, so being a non-human immediately grants you longer life-span?
Yes. Remember in the beginning how she told Hero she had been waiting a long time? She meant over 150 years since she decided she wanted to meet Hero. Various adaptions show her watching him growing up through a crystal ball, talking about how she wants to meet him.
__________________
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:10   Link #1309
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portugal
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
That Demon Queen is not human?
In all fairness, there's not much "demon" about her. Even the horns were removable...
And I have to agree with Obelisk, just because she's a supernatural entity it doesn't mean that her lifespan is longer. Usually demons live longer, but they usually don't behave like a teenage girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Yes. Remember in the beginning how she told Hero she had been waiting a long time? She meant over 150 years since she decided she wanted to meet Hero. Various adaptions show her watching him growing up through a crystal ball, talking about how she wants to meet him.
I remember this scene in the anime.. except it stopped at "I've been waiting for a long time.". Which in turn says wonders about the adaptation since it keeps forgetting to mention these tidbits of information and manga readers end up spoiling it without noticing.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:17   Link #1310
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
It's a possibility to have in mind. It's fantasy setting, what's so strange about long lived demons?
Possibility isn't a confirmation. That's what I was talking about: how the anime didn't mention it explicitly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Yes. Remember in the beginning how she told Hero she had been waiting a long time? She meant over 150 years since she decided she wanted to meet Hero. Various adaptions show her watching him growing up through a crystal ball, talking about how she wants to meet him.
Look my friend, I read the manga too. But for anime-only watchers, they won't know until it's mentioned. And "a long time" is pretty vague in itself.

@Dark Faith
Thanx for stressing my point.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:35   Link #1311
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it should have been establish in ep4. this is really a poor choice by the director to exclude this piece of info.
Did you mean that by the time the novel/manga gets to where the anime is at ep.4, this piece of information should've already been conveyed? If so, then yes, if I remember right that shouldn't strictly be spoiling according to the forum's rules. BUT, it should be put behind the spoiler tag and labeled properly, because it's a comparison between a source material and and the anime. Pure spoilers aren't allowed to exist in the first place.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 22:32   Link #1312
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Did you mean that by the time the novel/manga gets to where the anime is at ep.4, this piece of information should've already been conveyed? If so, then yes, if I remember right that shouldn't strictly be spoiling according to the forum's rules. BUT, it should be put behind the spoiler tag and labeled properly, because it's a comparison between a source material and and the anime. Pure spoilers aren't allowed to exist in the first place.
oh absolutely, it was when the HM was asking why the Hero didn't go see DQ even through he was back.

Spoiler:

a huge difference form the anime as the anime was making the Hero out to be another or the wishy-washy male lead.

As one of the previous poster said, the director is trying too hard to make MMY into S&W S3. This is unfair to fans of both series.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:11   Link #1313
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
1 thing I like to point out about those 200 ships getting sunk.
ITS EFFIN GIANT SQUIDS, EVEN IF YOU HAD 200000000 boats, it wont do sht against em. No way you can have naval advantage unless you had torpedoes, which do not exist in this series btw. So yea wasted lives

Noticed another thing
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Macroeconomics
Spice and Wolf - Microeconomics

Never been a better time to be a Business Major
__________________
Epicness

Last edited by Polarpew; 2013-02-06 at 23:32.
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:26   Link #1314
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
I watched Gasaraki more than 10 years ago and I remember that it had its fair share of action you could expect from a mecha. Chihayafuru is about a game, it's fun by pure nature. Could you say the same about Utakoi?

It sounds to me that you are simply less interested in macro economics than the other two themes. The show being boring to you because it's about boring stuff. But if that's not the case, and you are into economics and social development, what would be a better way to execute the exposition?
Everyone in my anime club found gasaraki boring. Karuta is a game that I don't understand a single bit. I haven't watched Utakoi but if that is a well made show it should be interesting despite whatever material it is.

There is a whole trope called "mundane made awesome". If they can make writing and walking look awesome, it is inexcusable that they make economics and social development looks so boring. Heck my econ 101 (macroeconomics) class is more fun than MaoYuu. At least my class have charts

It is about the atmosphere, as I simply don't feel any urgency in MaoYuu. Like I said, the negotiation scene can be made plenty of fun, thru the use of music, camera angle to build tension but I got nothing in that scene.

Lots of you keep on saying "it can't be help as they only have 12-13 episode". It is not an excuse as they could simply end the anime in an earlier plot point. I didn't watch the source material so I can't say much, but it seems to me that the imminent battle looks to be important. Maybe they could use 12-13 episode and end it there?
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:55   Link #1315
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The anime never mentioned about Maou's long life-span so far isn't it? If that's the case, is it really okay for us who read the manga and novel to just casually mention it here to the anime-only watchers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong .
They did state in the anime that the reason he isn't getting close to Maou is that he knows he will die before her in the anime at least implying she is natrualy longer lived as realisticly he has next to no chance of dieing in battle (the manga makes it less vague by stateing she will out live him because he is human) even the novel and manga don't get into the details at this point.
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 23:58   Link #1316
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Quote:
It is about the atmosphere, as I simply don't feel any urgency in MaoYuu. Like I said, the negotiation scene can be made plenty of fun, thru the use of music, camera angle to build tension but I got nothing in that scene.
We don't need ZAWA ZAWA or Jojo levels of emotional exaggeration for Maoyuu, thank you very much.
I think the production team is going for a down-to-earth storytelling here.

Quote:
Lots of you keep on saying "it can't be help as they only have 12-13 episode". It is not an excuse as they could simply end the anime in an earlier plot point. I didn't watch the source material so I can't say much, but it seems to me that the imminent battle looks to be important. Maybe they could use 12-13 episode and end it there?
My guess is that the story will be so open-minded at that point that closing the series there would be ARMS shooting itself in the foot with a nuclear missile.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:15   Link #1317
fukarming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
We don't need ZAWA ZAWA or Jojo levels of emotional exaggeration for Maoyuu, thank you very much.
I think the production team is going for a down-to-earth storytelling here.



My guess is that the story will be so open-minded at that point that closing the series there would be ARMS shooting itself in the foot with a nuclear missile.
There is a pretty big gap between Jojo level and the current MaoYuu. I doubt I am the only person who found MaoYuu boring and forgettable.

I can't say much since I don't know about the source material. But I am in the camp believe that original material/ending is better than rushing but faithful. I will probably revisit this topic after the whole series is over.....given I stay until end........
__________________
They came first for sharks fin,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sharks fin.
Then they came for foie gras,I didn't speak up because I don't eat foie gras.
Then they came for Toro (bluefin tuna) sushi,I didn't speak up because I don't eat sushi.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:17   Link #1318
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
The more I think about it the more sense it makes that for this kind of adaption they should have gone with the gender-swap (and giving the male lead to Shimono Hiro),posibly exluding the two little maids.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:20   Link #1319
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
They did state in the anime that the reason he isn't getting close to Maou is that he knows he will die before her in the anime at least implying she is natrualy longer lived as realisticly he has next to no chance of dieing in battle (the manga makes it less vague by stateing she will out live him because he is human) even the novel and manga don't get into the details at this point.
Two members said “no”, then you come and said “yes”. Aarghh! Which one is right? I guess I have to rewatch the episode again later to refresh my mind.

EDIT: Re-watched the episode. And yes it's implied but I think it's still a weak reference to her long life-span. Why didn't the anime producer made Hero say it clearly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
We don't need ZAWA ZAWA or Jojo levels of emotional exaggeration for Maoyuu, thank you very much.
I think the production team is going for a down-to-earth storytelling here.
Read fukarming’s post carefully. “the use of music, camera angle to build tension” not necessarily have to equal JoJo’s exaggeration style. Some dialogue scenes can be both calm and engaging. It all depends on good execution. Have you seen dialogues in Tarrantino movies like Inglourious Basterds or in Wachowski’s The Matrix or maybe dialogues in Death Note and Code Geass? (just to give you obvious examples).
__________________

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-02-07 at 00:53.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 00:21   Link #1320
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
The more I think about it the more sense it makes that for this kind of adaption they should have gone with the gender-swap (and giving the male lead to Shimono Hiro),posibly exluding the two little maids.
I love those 2 girls.

I don't find the series boring at all. I'm an anime-only viewer.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.