AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-28, 20:22   Link #141
Doria
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I think the Japanese word is ambiguous. It just means incident/crime/etc. But without prior knowledge of the novels, there's no way to know from the title that it refers to a murder, so whoever TLed it that way is using the short story title, rather than the Japanese itself.

As for the second word, it's kind of general, encompassing inside/within/etc., but since it's referring presumably to the safe areas of the towns (or I guess? other inhabited places), then saying "incident/crime inside" makes it sound like it's an emotional crime of some kind. Like a crime of the heart...

EDIT: But to answer your question, if you're happy with what you're watching, there's no real reason to switch due to either of those translations per se.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 20:24   Link #142
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
What's the point in houses? Lets say they started the game in 2022 dec 2, and on 2023 dec 24 they were on level 49 (maybe higher). 1 year to get to floor 49. ~8 days a floor. Is it worth to spend money on a house? and I'm pretty sure it's floor restricted which means if you bought a house at level 30 you need to go back to level 30 to live (shown in episode 4).

I put dec 2, 2022 instead of oct 31, 2022 because it took them more than a month to even find the boss door.

How does the pk system work? Kirito mentioned green they turn orange if they pk. 1-2 days gets you back to green. Is there a red? Kirito had a teleport to bring the orange guild to jail, how long do they stay in jail? What happens when green kills an orange/red?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

Spoiler for more details on weapon skills:
If is something like RF online where you need to attack with 2 handed weapon in order to learn 2 handed weapon skill? If that's the case why didn't anyone just train with dual wield in the first place? I don't see how 1hand + shield would be better then dual wield. Shield can block but dual wield can parry(in some games).
__________________
ZGMF-X10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 21:29   Link #143
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
What's the point in houses? Lets say they started the game in 2022 dec 2, and on 2023 dec 24 they were on level 49 (maybe higher). 1 year to get to floor 49. ~8 days a floor. Is it worth to spend money on a house? and I'm pretty sure it's floor restricted which means if you bought a house at level 30 you need to go back to level 30 to live (shown in episode 4).

I put dec 2, 2022 instead of oct 31, 2022 because it took them more than a month to even find the boss door.
You can quickly teleport between any floor that's been unlocked. Even the low level people can visit any town without danger after the high level people kill the appropriate boss. So even if the front line is on the 70th floor, having a house on the 50th floor isn't really an obstacle. It's not like the commute is any longer because it's just a teleporter. So houses are chosen based on how much they like the neighborhood and boring normal considerations like that. The people who really want to stay on the front lines at all times would just camp in the field anyway. Although they might have a house to go back to when they want a break.

Quote:
How does the pk system work? Kirito mentioned green they turn orange if they pk. 1-2 days gets you back to green. Is there a red? Kirito had a teleport to bring the orange guild to jail, how long do they stay in jail? What happens when green kills an orange/red?
Your cursor turns orange when you attack a green player. It stays orange for a few days to mark you as a criminal. You don't have to kill them them to turn orange, just attack them at all. Attacking an orange player is equivalent to "self-defense" so there is no penalty for it and you stay green. There is no red cursor, it's just the nickname the players use for murderers. Incidentally, attacking people in towns is mechanically impossible: the game just doesn't let it happen.

"Jail" is not actually a game mechanic, it's just a place the players have designated to house criminals. There's a huge guild on the lower floors called the "Aincrad Liberation Army" that was created to clear the game in the beginning but quickly gave up and instead devoted itself to running the lower floors like a government. Distributing food and whatnot to the players who choose not to fight at all. They also run a prison, which is where Kirito sent the criminals. So, basically they'll never get out unless they escape, since the people hiding them there are other players, who obviously don't like them much. They might even be accidentally killed, depending on what happens with the guards.

Quote:
If is something like RF online where you need to attack with 2 handed weapon in order to learn 2 handed weapon skill? If that's the case why didn't anyone just train with dual wield in the first place? I don't see how 1hand + shield would be better then dual wield. Shield can block but dual wield can parry(in some games).
You can't raise the dual wield skill because there's no skill for it. It's just not programmed into the game. Dual wield may be better, but it's simply not an option for the players. You can swing around the swords, but your attacks won't do any significant damage without using the pre-programmed Sword Skills, and since there are no Sword Skills for dual wielding it's completely useless.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 21:35   Link #144
Deltaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
What's the point in houses? Lets say they started the game in 2022 dec 2, and on 2023 dec 24 they were on level 49 (maybe higher). 1 year to get to floor 49. ~8 days a floor. Is it worth to spend money on a house? and I'm pretty sure it's floor restricted which means if you bought a house at level 30 you need to go back to level 30 to live (shown in episode 4).

I put dec 2, 2022 instead of oct 31, 2022 because it took them more than a month to even find the boss door.

How does the pk system work? Kirito mentioned green they turn orange if they pk. 1-2 days gets you back to green. Is there a red? Kirito had a teleport to bring the orange guild to jail, how long do they stay in jail? What happens when green kills an orange/red?




If is something like RF online where you need to attack with 2 handed weapon in order to learn 2 handed weapon skill? If that's the case why didn't anyone just train with dual wield in the first place? I don't see how 1hand + shield would be better then dual wield. Shield can block but dual wield can parry(in some games).

For first question, you need to sleep somewhere, because game is using your brain as controller, which basically means you are living so you need to sleep, and you can rent room in one inn, but it gets more expensive. If you buy house, in longterm it gets cheaper, and you can decorate it in almost anyway you want (mentioned in novels).

Second question, you turn orange if you kill someone yes, or even attack, if you commit alot of kills in SAO you turn red, which probably takes forever to get back to green. Jail is monitored by mass guild, I won't spoil anymore on that yet, other than that their methods can be kinda rough. And if Green kills orange/red, nothing happens to them.

To learn sword skills, you first have to have the skill for it, you need 1 handed sword skill to learn sword skills for that and so on, if you don't have using your example, dual wield skill, you can't learn dual wield sword skills, and if you don't have dual wield skill but still take two weapons on your hands, system doesn't recognize the other sword, so it just comes in your way because that.
/5am answer times.

Edit: and it seems i got beaten to it, oh well
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 00:52   Link #145
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Do the players actually need to eat/drink?
Do they get physically tired? Like can they all run all day w/o getting tired like most mmorpgs?(They probably get mentally tired since they needed to sleep)
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 00:52   Link #146
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
"Jail" is not actually a game mechanic, it's just a place the players have designated to house criminals.
However, NPCs will attack orange players if they tries to enter a town, which means they don't have access to the teleport gates and have to either walk from floor to floor or use expensive teleport crystals.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 01:11   Link #147
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Do the players actually need to eat/drink?
Do they get physically tired? Like can they all run all day w/o getting tired like most mmorpgs?(They probably get mentally tired since they needed to sleep)
They don't need to eat since their bodies are presumbly being fed through IVs in hospitals, but the game gives them the feeling of "hunger" so it's very uncomfortable not to eat for a long time. So they eat.

They don't get tired physically.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 02:01   Link #148
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
You do, however, experience mental fatigue, which is why you need to sleep.

Also, thre's a sensation of fatigue when you do anything in game. So sleep is required to stay sane.

Also, sleeping in a house you own, with doors you can lock, prevents you from getting PKed as you sleep. It's also a good base for sundry errands - there's a reason all Skyrim players WILL buy that house in Whiterun. (Apart from Jarl Balgruuf being a bro.)
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 02:03   Link #149
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
There's no way to break into a room at an inn either though, so you don't need a house to sleep in peace.

Normally speaking, you can't be killed in town at all so you might think sleeping in the street is safe, but apparently they can drag you outside of town and stuff (there's an anti-harassment feature where you can prevent people from touching you, but you have to turn it on yourself, so it's useless while you're asleep).
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 03:38   Link #150
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Basically, wait for ep 5; it will really explain why you need to have a house.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 09:17   Link #151
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
<...>Second question, you turn orange if you kill someone yes, or even attack, if you commit alot of kills in SAO you turn red, which probably takes forever to get back to green. <...>
No. Your cursor will stay orange even if you kill someone.

Red is only used for hostile mobs, with the intensity of the red depending on the mob's level relative to yourself.

(for the non-mmo savvy people, a "mob" is how creatures/monsters are usually called)

Spoiler for PK-ers in the novel:
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 11:11   Link #152
Deltaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
No. Your cursor will stay orange even if you kill someone.

Red is only used for hostile mobs, with the intensity of the red depending on the mob's level relative to yourself.

(for the non-mmo savvy people, a "mob" is how creatures/monsters are usually called)

Spoiler for PK-ers in the novel:
Oh, must have missed that myself, it has been kinda long since I did read SAO last time.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 17:03   Link #153
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
No. Your cursor will stay orange even if you kill someone.

Red is only used for hostile mobs, with the intensity of the red depending on the mob's level relative to yourself.

(for the non-mmo savvy people, a "mob" is how creatures/monsters are usually called)

Spoiler for PK-ers in the novel:
Did they MPK then? But one is called Red-eyed Xaxa, with Red-eyed probably a title given by others because he had red eyes from PK, so there are inconsistencies due to all the side stories.
Why would PoH&co have orange cursors? In The Black Swordsman Kirito said orange will turn to green after a day or two, by the same logic red turned to orange after a while?
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 17:06   Link #154
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
He probably just had red eyes. Maybe some kind of colored contacts item.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 17:29   Link #155
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He probably just had red eyes. Maybe some kind of colored contacts item.
Nah eye color is customizable. Along with hair color and style. It's pretty much the only thing players can change about their appearance after Kayaba forced them all to assume their RL appearance.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 18:07   Link #156
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Nah eye color is customizable. Along with hair color and style. It's pretty much the only thing players can change about their appearance after Kayaba forced them all to assume their RL appearance.
But you still need to have an item to be able to do it.

Spoiler for Aria in the Starless Night Light Novel Quote:
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 21:02   Link #157
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
I assumed he just had red goggles, although an eye-color changing item also makes sense. He had the same kind of nickname as Kirito's "The Black Swordsman" based on his appearance. Which only makes sense really, since other players can't see your name when you're not in a party so a notable appearance becomes more famous than your name. "The Rat" is another example.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 21:15   Link #158
vansonbee
❤Nishino Tsukasa❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CA
Can players kill each other? Just saw episode 3 and if they can, is there a plenty?
__________________
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 21:19   Link #159
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
...just watch episode 4. Answer: yes.

They can only attack each other outside of town though, so it's not like everyone's in constant danger. And if you want to have a non-lethal fight you can challenge someone to a duel which under game mechanics lets you win without killing. This is what happened in episode 3, although they didn't show that for some reason.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 01:58   Link #160
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Did they MPK then? But one is called Red-eyed Xaxa, with Red-eyed probably a title given by others because he had red eyes from PK, so there are inconsistencies due to all the side stories.
Why would PoH&co have orange cursors? In The Black Swordsman Kirito said orange will turn to green after a day or two, by the same logic red turned to orange after a while?
No. By the same logic orange stays orange. There's no "becoming red" mechanics-wise. No matter how many people you kill your cursor stays orange.
The game doesn't care whether you just slapped another player or killed him. In both case you're an orange-cursored aggressor; nothing more, nothing less.
Red cursors are only used for hostile mobs. Players can only have green or orange cursors.

"red players" is a term used ingame to describe pk-ers. It does NOT mean that they have red cursors however.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
q&a

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.