AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-15, 04:37   Link #401
com_gwp
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by balu01 View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask this:
Could someone summarize what was left out from the LN in the 2nd anime episode? Or which parts of the LN should I read if I'm interested in these missing parts? Thanks in advance!
The episode basically covers the [Aria in the Starless Night] side-story, a separate chapter from the novelization, but you can still find it on bakatsuki. Since they're probably not going to cover it, you might also want to check out the [First Day] chapter in vol 8 that covers an event between episode 1 and 2.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 04:38   Link #402
Rovert10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by balu01 View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask this:
Could someone summarize what was left out from the LN in the 2nd anime episode? Or which parts of the LN should I read if I'm interested in these missing parts? Thanks in advance!
Head over to Baka Tsuki and look in the side stories for the series
It's called Aria in the Starless Night.

Basically it skipped over Asuna's depression and suicidal tendencies before meeting with Kirito.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 07:44   Link #403
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
There's going to be a horde of critics walking in next week proclaiming: who cares about Sachi anyway? Why should we care?
Yeah. Most definitely.

"There wasn't enough time for us to grow attached to her" or "Why should we share about a character that was introduced at the beginning of the episode only to die at the very end?"

Or maybe not. Who knows.

I liked episode 2, but I hope episode 3 (RNR) will be much better.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:58   Link #404
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Ep2 could've been much better, but that's not even why I'm worried about the following episode.

Sure, a lot of things could've been done better, but in retrospect, this was a story that they could had chosen to skip altogether. And while it misses out on a lot of touches on Asuna's story, it really depends on one's perspective. In the original first vol, those crazy elements were stuff that were kept missing from Kirito's view for a long time until they've become more acquainted. There are other opportunities to revisit it, and while it may not be as detailed as the light novel, it's fine.

Ep3, coming off an Aria adaption was my main issue going through a chronological adaption of SAO, in that a RDR follow-up from an episode where Kirito had pretty much reaffirmed his 'Solo' status would... be awkward? To say the least.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:01   Link #405
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
The big problem is that even the LN never told us how he got from Aria-Rondo-Monochrome to the Black Cats. Which itself, I suspect in the rewrite would be a whole arc - or even three arcs side by side - Kirito's post Monochrome separation from Asuna, his loneliness period Arc, the Black Cats arc, and finally, the Red Nose Reindeer arc. Hopefully too, after that, we'd get the 50th floor arc, and maybe another bridging arc that brings us to Black Swordsman.

As for the anime itself, I do agree it would be quite awkward to see RNR- since I cannot see how they can compress Kirito is lonely, the Black Cats fulfilled his loneliness, he grew close to Sachi as a substitute Imouto and his Red Nose Reindeer madness in one episode, without making it rushed as hell, and alot of viewers going WTF just happened? Did they did a Campione and animated a whole volume into one Episode? (Yes, I know, RNR is shorter than Aria, and only a part of a larger volume.)

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-07-15 at 09:27.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:11   Link #406
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
The big problem is that even the LN never told us how he got from Aria-Rondo-Monochrome to the Black Cats. Which itself, I suspect in the rewrite would be whole arc - or even three arcs side by side - Kirito's post Monochrome separation from Asuna, his loneliness period Arc, the Black Cats arc, and finally, the Red Nose Reindeer arc. Hopefully too, after that, we'd get the 50th floor arc, and maybe another bridging arc that brings us to Black Swordsman.
That's a problem with the source material itself. Even for stuff that we're informed about, more than half of them are nothing more than passing mentions of a story untold.

Which was perfectly fine, given the original design of the way SAO told its story in a main plot, fragments of other self-contained stories, and stuff that are good for flashbacks. ( like RDR, damnit!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
As for the anime itself, I do agree it would be quite awkward to see RNR- since I cannot see how they can compress Kirito is lonely, the Black Cats fulfilled his loneliness, he grew close to Sachi as a substitute Imouto and his Red Nose Reindeer madness in one episode, without making it rushed as hell, and alot of viewers going WTF just happened? Did they did a Campione and animated a whole volume into one Episode? (Yes, I know, RNR is shorter than Aria, and only a part of a larger volume.)
Couldn't had said it better.

And why I vehemently continue to oppose a chronological adaption of SAO, especially in the context of RDR. At least with a flashback, you'd have the benefit of the narrator (Kirito, in this case) at least 'padding' his flashback with 'I got lonely' without needing to actually show how that happened to him.

While there are ways to actually show Kirito going through a phase of loneliness in a short amount of time ( I dunno, have him showing some jealousy of Kline's strongly bonded guild ( via a 800 word essay? ), or simply have him in a hobo-like situation for a few minutes where he's alone in the darkness of dungeons while it rains and stuff, it would be hard to actually convey effectively.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:20   Link #407
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Hm. I wonder what parts of RNR will get cut? Cutting away any of the parts will reduce the impact significantly (or will it?), unless they were to condense it to the extreme.. Eh. :/
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:29   Link #408
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Hm. I wonder what parts of RNR will get cut? Cutting away any of the parts will reduce the impact significantly (or will it?), unless they were to condense it to the extreme.. Eh. :/
Same, for me the real test of the adaptation will be how well they handle RNR, which unlike Aria, is something that deals with the core of Kirito's character.

Unfortunately I have to echo Nightengale's fear, I just don't see a way for them to effectively deal with a time jump and the abrupt change in direction (huh what? didn't that guy just went all badass I IZ SOLO? and he's already going I AM RONERY??? ) in a single episode. Personally i thought the end of ep.2 was perfect for them to hop back to SAO proper, and deal with RNR as a flashback instead.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:31   Link #409
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
There's very little room to cut RNR. On the other hand, it could also be him seating besides a campfire on Christmas, talking to Klein before his insane attempt to revive Sachi about Sachi and the Black Cats.

I can see it now. Some critics are going to come and argue that the entire first half of SAO feels fragmented- and ALO is a far more cohesive plot. Which it is- this is perfectly true. Hopefully though, it might bring more people to read the LN to find out what got axed from SAO's anime, which I fear would be quite a good deal.

On the other hand, the First Volume main arc, and Volume 3 and 4 would likely receive quite faithful adaptations. Especially if Fairy Dance got 9-12 episodes.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:33   Link #410
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Well yea, because it IS fragmented, since that's how Kawahara wrote it
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:37   Link #411
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Same, for me the real test of the adaptation will be how well they handle RNR, which unlike Aria, is something that deals with the core of Kirito's character.

Unfortunately I have to echo Nightengale's fear, I just don't see a way for them to effectively deal with a time jump and the abrupt change in direction (huh what? didn't that guy just went all badass solo last episode, but he's already lonely this episode??? ) in a single episode. Personally i thought the end of ep.2 was perfect for them to hop back to SAO proper, and deal with RNR as a flashback instead.
Exactly.

I concur. No matter how we look at it, it's going to lose a good bit of effectiveness and impact. I guess we can hope that the adaptation doesn't butcher it too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
There's very little room to cut RNR. On the other hand, it could also be him seating besides a campfire on Christmas, talking to Klein before his insane attempt to revive Sachi about Sachi and the Black Cats.

I can see it now. Some critics are going to come and argue that the entire first half of SAO feels fragmented- and ALO is a far more cohesive plot. Which it is- this is perfectly true. Hopefully though, it might bring more people to read the LN to find out what got axed from SAO's anime, which I fear would be quite a good deal.
That sounds like a very good idea.

Uh. I don't like the sound of that. At all. If that does happen, the anime will effectively be a means of advertising the novels, which is something that doesn't sit well with me. I want a good adaptation, not some advertisement. :/
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:38   Link #412
Rovert10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Guess all we can do is wait and see...
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:46   Link #413
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Well yea, because it IS fragmented, since that's how Kawahara wrote it
If GGO and Mother's Rosario get's an anime (and Mother's Rosario, which IMO is the BEST SAO Volume yet deserves a full season) , I think that many would argue that SAO sequels feel more coherent, though less ambitious than SAO- and would say that's a good thing because the original SAO felt like precisely the kind of premise which a Shounen Long runner would take 100 episodes minimum to animate well.

The fragmented nature of SAO does bring quite alot of issues into writing large scale SAO Crossovers or fanfics set in Aincrad, unfortunately.

Though of course, Kawahara did acknowledge that if he was to tell the whole tale, it'd have taken years of writing.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 09:52   Link #414
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
I'd love to see Mother's Rosario gets animated(though I still don't think there's enough materials there for a full cour ), The end of RNR and Rosario are easily the two most emotional moment for me in all of SAO, genuine man-tear jerkers
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 10:17   Link #415
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I'd love to see Mother's Rosario gets animated(though I still don't think there's enough materials there for a full cour ), The end of RNR and Rosario are easily the two most emotional moment for me in all of SAO, genuine man-tear jerkers
For me, it was the end of RNR, closing scene of ALO, Closing scene of GGO (since I could relate to Sinon in terms of being socially out of place when I was younger) and the greatest was the End of Mother's Rosario.

I think the Pre GGO sidestory, GGO, Calibur and Mother's Rosario should be enough to fit two cours, or at least one and a half cours. Of course, they might make Mother's Rosario a movie instead.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 15:59   Link #416
maelstormCaT
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Heh, my prediction on the 2nd episode was dead on. Though I admit it does missing something, it's still a good episode nonetheless. I like it.

I don't mind they tweaked Aria a bit. That story isn't part of the novel after, just a side story outside of the novel. It even have some inconsistencies with the vol.1 material; Asuna did not show much interest to Kirito until floor 40 or so. If they animate Aria properly, it would contradict that fact. So I'm actually fine with how they handle episode 2.

For RNR, there are 2 ways they can animate this in 1 episode.
First is to do it in a flashback mode, where Kirito himself remembering the story just before he face off with Nick the Apostle. Ending the episode with him walking away from the fight, throwing the item to Klein.

The other is to do it like the light novel, with the timeline keep going back and forth between past and present.

It would be tricky, but it's doable...
we'll just see how it'll go.

Last edited by maelstormCaT; 2012-07-15 at 16:13.
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:06   Link #417
Deltaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 21
Just make Klein shine in next episode like he does in novel and I'm happy, I don't mind if they omit something from Kirito's side really, but if they just leave Klein to just be there....
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:11   Link #418
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
Just make Klein shine in next episode like he does in novel and I'm happy, I don't mind if they omit something from Kirito's side really, but if they just leave Klein to just be there....
But if they were to omit something from Kirito's side, the impact would be lessened (let's just assume it would). So, I'd rather they sacrifice Klein's moment in order for it to retain its effectiveness. But hey, who's to say they can't do both?
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:22   Link #419
Deltaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
But if they were to omit something from Kirito's side, the impact would be lessened (let's just assume it would). So, I'd rather they sacrifice Klein's moment in order for it to retain its effectiveness. But hey, who's to say they can't do both?
What I really hope to see is only limited to Klein's talk at that freaking ant pit ( oh and that we actually see his guild), and his boast before holding that green/orange guild with his own.

Anything else is just bonus for me.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 18:14   Link #420
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space Battle Cruiser Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
What I really hope to see is only limited to Klein's talk at that freaking ant pit ( oh and that we actually see his guild), and his boast before holding that green/orange guild with his own.

Anything else is just bonus for me.
I'm surprised that no one has been wondering about the lack of Klein in the last episode...but Ep. 3 should fix that. :3
__________________
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.