AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-01-10, 05:26   Link #1121
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Sailor Nukem Moon Forever.

But, she is "the one".
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 06:45   Link #1122
T-6000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But, she is "the one".
Oh dear god, I got that song stuck in my head! IT'S KILLING MY BRAIN CELLS!!!!!

But back with the new Anime, I wonder if any NA company has any interest in dubbing the new anime for the U.S. Market? Maybe even have an airing on Toonami?
__________________
T-6000 is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 07:09   Link #1123
xizro345
King's Justice
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
They didn't say they're following the manga though?
What they said, literally, is that it's a completely new adaptation of the manga.
Old anime was also an adaptation of the manga in question.
Very loosely based, also had a couple arcs that didn't exsist at all.
I personally would have preferred another take, with same characters, personalities, etc, but with a new story.
Basing it on the manga means bad things in my book.
To be more direct: don't base it on the original work. Also keep Takeuchi far, far away from it. Sadly she'll surely have some sort of creative control.
xizro345 is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 07:11   Link #1124
Faerie
Headless
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
Oh my god, some real news. Did I wake up in a parallel universe or something!?
Though I'm not hot on that staff list at all. Precure's character designer would've been fine, but it's scriptwriter?
Oh well, guess we'll have to see, but my hype is still dying a slow, painful death at this moment in time.
__________________
Faerie is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 09:02   Link #1125
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Very loosely based, also had a couple arcs that didn't exsist at all.
I personally would have preferred another take, with same characters, personalities, etc, but with a new story.
Basing it on the manga means bad things in my book.
To be more direct: don't base it on the original work. Also keep Takeuchi far, far away from it. Sadly she'll surely have some sort of creative control.
Look, stop overreading every word, it's getting on my nerves.
Adaptations range from inspirations to direct translation and nothing in producer's statement or in any of my posts indicated the level of faithfulness.
People are way too quick to read too much into what should be a very simple message just because they want it happen their way too much. Some want the manga translated, some want something like PGSM, but if you want something that just uses the characters, maybe you aren't looking to watch Sailor Moon at all.
Daniel Lind is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 10:14   Link #1126
Horse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Not the most exciting staff announcement. Now where are my Blu-rays of the old show?
Horse is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 12:15   Link #1127
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
Since this is an entirely new adaptation, I'm guessing they'll be selecting new VAs so they get their share of the spotlight?
That is possible even though I don't mind that happening.
__________________
Ichuki is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 12:29   Link #1128
xizro345
King's Justice
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
People are way too quick to read too much into what should be a very simple message just because they want it happen their way too much. Some want the manga translated, some want something like PGSM, but if you want something that just uses the characters, maybe you aren't looking to watch Sailor Moon at all.

In my honest opinion, the series shouldn't be remade in any form at all. And not because of quality or anything else, but because I think the series (including the manga) hasn't aged well at all, and also was, IMO, very flawed (even if I enjoyed the series during its original run - ending up getting the entire manga and the original 4 illustration books, plus assorted merchandise -, I was annoyed at some of the choices even back then).

From a business point of view it makes pretty much sense, as the brand is still very strong, as the sales of the manga show. In my own view though, the series had only the merit of showing that you could market a magical girl show to girls and not only children. It also helped the career of several people (Ikuhara among others). Story and character wise, it wasn't very good to begin with (of course that is my own personal opinion). The question I ask myself is: why should I watch this series in 2014 again? What is its strong point? Difficult to say at the moment, but I'm pessimistic, as Toei has left its most experimental period way behind.

Despite my strong distaste for the Pretty Guardian series (acting, production values and story are laughably bad) it actually tried to do something different with the characters and the overall story, and that's what I'd like to see.
Heck, I'd like to see, for example, the original draft of Ami instead of the "normal" character (she was supposed to be an android then due to some editor suggestions, Takeuchi rewrote the character).
I'd go even as far as to ditch the original VAs, though I doubt that's going to happen.
xizro345 is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 12:39   Link #1129
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
why should I watch this series in 2014 again?
For the same reason people watch colorized versions of old classics? Because you want to introduce your children (or grandchildren) to the anime classics you grew and can't make them watch the original series because it is not to their image quality standards? Because you are a completionist? Because it is a complete train wreck and you can't avert your eyes?

If your answer is none of the above, I guess there is no reason at all.
mangamuscle is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 15:06   Link #1130
maximilianjenus
[E]
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
But you are assuming it will be a lot like the 90s series, we have no idea how will they adapt the manga, they could do a one coeur rush job thru the first arc , they can do a dark/edgy version of sailor moon, they could do a version more focused on martial arts. SM was a relatively generic mahou shoujo series so they can just keep the generic elements and go anyway they want.
i assume it will be something similar to saint seiya omega.
maximilianjenus is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 16:00   Link #1131
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I'd go even as far as to ditch the original VAs, though I doubt that's going to happen.
Well that's interesting, I strongly doubt they're going to keep the original VAs, I'm not sure why you're so sure they'd want to.

Also Toei just get done producing Kyousogiga , so it's not like they're out of talented staff.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 17:54   Link #1132
Casshern
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by APNki View Post
Casshern is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 18:01   Link #1133
Faerie
Headless
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
Gee, why are you even in this thread if you don't like the show and aren't interested in a remake? O_O Maybe I'm not understanding your point...

Oh well.

@Maximilianjenus: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Sailor Moon wasn't generic for it's time at all. The complete opposite, it was very different from normal magical girl shows back then... I'd like them to use this project to be innovative compared to today's standards whatever they chose to do.
What I absolutely don't want is for it to turn out anything like Precure or One Piece, which unfortunately is exactly what is on the staff's resume. That has me worried.
__________________
Faerie is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 19:43   Link #1134
ukulelembo
Detective
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Very interesting reading:
http://snowdrop.hellolace.net/inform...ngavsanime.php
ukulelembo is offline  
Old 2014-01-10, 23:31   Link #1135
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Is it July? Too lazy to read the pages. No teasers yet?
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2014-01-11, 00:15   Link #1136
Sakuya
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United States
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
Is it July? Too lazy to read the pages. No teasers yet?
No teasers yet of any sort yet. Just announced the names of director and scriptwriter and they had worked on shows like One Piece and Precure.

I agree with what someone mentioned, rather than a fully faithful adaptation of the manga, I'd want to see them do something new and innovative to renew the genre just like how the original anime pretty much got the ball rolling on what is now known as the magical girl genre. I liked what PGSM did with the story even though it wasn't executed very well; it added something new to the story but yet still retains the main story and feel of the manga.
Sakuya is offline  
Old 2014-01-11, 00:19   Link #1137
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
No teasers yet of any sort yet. Just announced the names of director and scriptwriter and they had worked on shows like One Piece and Precure.

I agree with what someone mentioned, rather than a fully faithful adaptation of the manga, I'd want to see them do something new and innovative to renew the genre just like how the original anime pretty much got the ball rolling on what is now known as the magical girl genre. I liked what PGSM did with the story even though it wasn't executed very well; it added something new to the story but yet still retains the main story and feel of the manga.
I don't actually mind as long as my Mamoru and Usagi is present.
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2014-01-11, 09:46   Link #1138
ukulelembo
Detective
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I agree with what someone mentioned, rather than a fully faithful adaptation of the manga, I'd want to see them do something new and innovative to renew the genre just like how the original anime pretty much got the ball rolling on what is now known as the magical girl genre.
I think that the story of the original manga is dark and timeless enough to receive big attention even in these days. It's just about series direction. Personally I expect faithful adaptation with slight modernization and maybe some new audio-visual ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I liked what PGSM did with the story even though it wasn't executed very well; it added something new to the story but yet still retains the main story and feel of the manga.
Are you sure about this? Because I'm not.
ukulelembo is offline  
Old 2014-01-11, 12:41   Link #1139
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
I wonder what modern touches the series will have. The most obvious is that everybody will have cellphones (android most likely) and dvd/bluray players in their homes. The other great change is that japan's economy is past its apex.
mangamuscle is offline  
Old 2014-01-11, 12:49   Link #1140
maximilianjenus
[E]
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Gee, why are you even in this thread if you don't like the show and aren't interested in a remake? O_O Maybe I'm not understanding your point...

Oh well.

@Maximilianjenus: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Sailor Moon wasn't generic for it's time at all. The complete opposite, it was very different from normal magical girl shows back then... I'd like them to use this project to be innovative compared to today's standards whatever they chose to do.
What I absolutely don't want is for it to turn out anything like Precure or One Piece, which unfortunately is exactly what is on the staff's resume. That has me worried.
I am not sure if i mentienod hnk in my post there anyway, yeah, I meant generic for today's standards, even if it was innovative 20 years ago.
maximilianjenus is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.