AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-04-10, 09:51   Link #1
klansm

Send a message via MSN to klansm
Tip: avoid the saveas screen and increase download speed of the oficial BT client

Hi,

I used to have two problems with the oficial version of bittorrent:

1) I share my computer with my sister, so I always ask her to put the bittorrent downloading while she is not using the internet. The saveas screan always change when the torrent file is bath (more then one file on it) and if confuses my sister a little.

2) When i'm downlading big files (more then 2 gb) the download rate is sucks. I was thinking the it was becouse of the up load rate was too high.

So... hear are the solutions i found:

1) To avoid the "save as", i just use the parameter --saveas <directory>

2) To gain more download rate, i had fixed the up load rate at 80% of my maximum up load rate: 10 kb/s, for this I used the paramter:
--max_upload_rate <rate>

So, I opened the regedit (i'm using the windows xp) and changed this value:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\btdownloadgui.exe\s hell\open\command]
default = "C:\Arquivos de programas\BitTorrent\btdownloadgui.exe" --max_upload_rate 10 --saveas C:\videos\New --responsefile "%1"

Where "Arquivos de Programas" is your 'Programs files' folder.

Doing this, every time you open an .torrent file, it will automatically save the file at 'C:\videos\New' AND it will fix the upload rate at 10 kb/s.

Doing this, I could experiment higher download rate with big files.
But, becouse I used to share some downloaded files with the others Animesuki friends , doing this it would only share the files that where AT the 'C:\videos\New'.
So, to handle this desire to share, I added an 'Share' option to the menu, when we right click on a bittorrent file.

To do this, I created two keys: 'share' and 'command':

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bittorrent\shell\share]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bittorrent\shell\share\command]

And edited the default option:
default = "C:\Arquivos de programas\BitTorrent\btdownloadgui.exe" --max_upload_rate 10 --responsefile "%1"

Doing this, when I whant to share a file, I just right click on the .torrent file, and choose the 'share' options the will apper and I 'save' it where the file is. And I still got the upload rate fixed.

I hope this information would help someone

That's all,
Eduardo.
(brazilian)
klansm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 11:58   Link #2
klansm

Tip: avoid the saveas screen and increase download speed of the oficial BT client

ps: I had posted it at other forum, but I think it suits better here.

Edit by Mod (xris): Once was enough!

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-10 at 12:21.
Old 2004-04-10, 13:27   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Being that I'm on Freebsd I'm encountering the same problems with the 3.4.1 client myself. Regardless of how many seeds are on, I'm getting flat out hammered on my uploads, but my download rates are horrid. I end up uploading about 6-10x's as much as I download. Not that that is a bad thing, but I'd prefer to do that AFTER I've downloaded the file. Otherwise it takes 5x's longer than it should just to download the file. I don't mind seeding at full capacity once my download is complete, but it kinda sucks that I can jump on a torrent and begin hours before someone else and yet finish after them.

I've watched the tracker before and it amazes me to realize that other people are flying by me as I slowly creap along on the download while uploading like a madman to others who in turn pass me on the download. There has to be some way to adjust the graphical bit torrent client in freebsd to make it more download friendly during the time when I'm initially getting the file, then very upload friendly when I'm done downloading and I can seed to my hearts content. Do you know of a way to do that in freebsd? I'm guessing freebsd uses the same bittorrent gui client as linux, so if you need a reference, look at the linux client.
Old 2004-04-11, 08:34   Link #4
klansm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Being that I'm on Freebsd I'm encountering the same problems with the 3.4.1 client myself. Regardless of how many seeds are on, I'm getting flat out hammered on my uploads, but my download rates are horrid. I end up uploading about 6-10x's as much as I download. Not that that is a bad thing, but I'd prefer to do that AFTER I've downloaded the file. Otherwise it takes 5x's longer than it should just to download the file. I don't mind seeding at full capacity once my download is complete, but it kinda sucks that I can jump on a torrent and begin hours before someone else and yet finish after them.

I've watched the tracker before and it amazes me to realize that other people are flying by me as I slowly creap along on the download while uploading like a madman to others who in turn pass me on the download. There has to be some way to adjust the graphical bit torrent client in freebsd to make it more download friendly during the time when I'm initially getting the file, then very upload friendly when I'm done downloading and I can seed to my hearts content. Do you know of a way to do that in freebsd? I'm guessing freebsd uses the same bittorrent gui client as linux, so if you need a reference, look at the linux client.

On my connection, the maximum DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD rate are: 25Kb/s and 14Kbs.

I had read somewhere that if the bittorrent is using all the upload_rate, some 'packages' necessary for comunications between you and those who have the parts you don't have yet, aren't send well. It could make senses since if you're using all the upload_rate for seeding the file, all packages that your machine need to send will be more difficult send them.

When i'm downloading big files, I noticed that may up_load gots high really fast but my download didn't and staied at about 6..8... Kb/s. Using that theory I tried to decrease (20%) of the upload rate and see what's the result, and doing that I got better download rate.

Well, I don't know if that theory is wrong or not, but after doing that my download rate increased.

But I don't know how to do that on the Linux version.