AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-07-24, 02:42   Link #221
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Truth being told, if that coven of demons came to the Memorial Services to rant and rave, I would be SO happy if people got rigthteously enraged and covered the grass in the teeth of these mangy cur.

Better yet: Why the fuck don't they post security that can at the VERY least firmly (screw "politely" with these beasts) tell them to go away if they came to stir up trouble?

Surely The First Ammendment ("Freedom of speech) is not so ironclad in America that Respect For The Dead can be ignored?

Can it?
Old 2012-07-24, 02:44   Link #222
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

From the Southern Poverty Law Center (that tracks hate groups):
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...baptist-church

It is essentially just one extended family with occasional extra froot loops. A cult around the personality of its leader.

One of the nice things about the First Amendment is that it makes it so much easier to play "Spot the Loony". They out themselves for us.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-07-24 at 02:56.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 02:45   Link #223
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Truth being told, if that coven of demons came to the Memorial Services to rant and rave, I would be SO happy if people got rigthteously enraged and covered the grass in the teeth of these mangy cur.

Better yet: Why the fuck don't they post security that can at the VERY least firmly (screw "politely" with these beasts) tell them to go away if they came to stir up trouble?

Surely The First Ammendment ("Freedom of speech) is not so ironclad in America that Respect For The Dead can be ignored?

Can it?
They can only get so close, but it is close enough that their yells can be heard and some will see the signs when going to and from the funeral site.
Old 2012-07-24, 02:53   Link #224
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
So it was quoted in tvtropes (before they got all conservative and right winged to avoid offending the coservative), "The Ku Klux Klan does not acknowledge ANY connections to the Westbro Baptist Church."

Wow, Even Evil Has Standards indeed!! Takes a special kind of monstrousness to disgust monsters like the Klan!!
Wow, so even the Klan hates them . Wow, that's just incredible (in a bad way).
Old 2012-07-24, 09:30   Link #225
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
He apparently had been spiraling into this for months based on the amount of planning, yet no one near one seemed to notice anything amiss.
I think it is quite difficult to believe in this age of cheap telecomunications that his father, mother or tutor did not notice something amiss. I also think even someone like him had at least one non-virtual friend (due to the unconfirmed rumours that somebody opened the theater backdoor for him) Therefore I rather think those around didn't care at all for his state of mind and maybe even encouraged his murderous thoughts (if they ever found him, the guy that opened the door is a bigger monster/coward IMO). The USA culture encourages individuality to an extreme where no one knows his neighbor face and I could bet most USA citizens will close the door on the face of a neighbor that musters the courage to ask for a little help.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-07-24 at 10:12.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 10:15   Link #226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I think it is quite difficult to believe in this age of cheap telecomunications that his father, mother or tutor did not notice something amiss. I also think even someone like him had at least one non-virtual friend (due to the unconfirmed rumours that somebody opened the theater backdoor for him) Therefore I rather think those around didn't care at all for his state of mind and maybe even encouraged his murderous thoughts (if they ever found him, the guy that opened the door is a bigger monster/coward IMO). The USA culture encourages individuality to an extreme where no one knows his neighbor face and I could bet most USA citizens will close the door on the face of a neighbor that musters the courage to ask for a little help.
I think.... you're conflating some issues there probably from peering into the US from outside. But it is quite easy in the US to present one face to the public and have quite another in private or among like-minded folks. It is quite easy to be amongst a crowd and be totally isolated. I can have happy conversations with mom on the phone and still be in serious financial or emotional trouble. She lives 3000 kilometers away...

Also.... many/most people can act odd, aloof, etc at times so unless someone is wiping drool in their hair or speaking gibberish, "average people" will not tend to assume the worst. We'll probably find out that fellow students, teachers, neighbors may have individually noted little oddities... but then lots of people are odd sometimes, so one brushes it off. The gun range owner Holmes sent an application to tried to call him several times and thought the voicemail recording was weird but blew it off because lots of people have broken/messy voicemail greetings.

And I'd have to say except maybe for some situations most people will still help... the tendency not to render aid more often happens in a crowd and that is a fairly universal human trait (someone else will step in so I don't have to... maybe).
Old 2012-07-24, 10:46   Link #227
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
....many/most people can act ...
Indeed, human beings can put their minds into disguising their inner turmoil, but why would this guy go to such lengths? One thing is to have problems but work them out as an adult and another one is to be in a situation where you see no exit at all (which, if this guy is sane, is the kind of situation that would trigger such behavior).

But hey, if you tell me you do know your neighbors and you have ask for help from them in the past I am in the wrong, since as you say I do not live in the uSA (nor have any intention of doing so).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 11:11   Link #228
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
The USA culture encourages individuality to an extreme where no one knows his neighbor face and I could bet most USA citizens will close the door on the face of a neighbor that musters the courage to ask for a little help.
You realize you're just picking a fight with that statement right? While you're certainly welcome to your anti-US sentiments, your statement is as ignorant as if someone claimed that all the drug violence and government corruptions in Mexico is due to the Mexican culture too.

And yes, I know my neighbors just fine, so does everyone I know. And yes, I'll actually help the neighbor that comes to my door for help, even if it's you.

...which to you must mean that we people in the USA are a bunch of morally corrupt and selfish egotistical maniacs

Quote:
Indeed, human beings can put their minds into disguising their inner turmoil, but why would this guy go to such lengths? One thing is to have problems but work them out as an adult and another one is to be in a situation where you see no exit at all (which, if this guy is sane, is the kind of situation that would trigger such behavior).
feel free to google psychopath and figure out what they are.

and then realize that 1-2% of the entire human population are psychopaths.
kyp275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 11:49   Link #229
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

The question at large remains. Why are there people who succumbs to their baser instincts while majority can keep those in check ? Are their mental reasonings weaker or are they born inherently evil ? How can we identify and help them if they refused to be helped before they tipped over the edge ?
Old 2012-07-24, 12:12   Link #230
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
His mother pretty much indicated that she thought something was wrong when early reports of his arrest was out.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 15:26   Link #231
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
blatantly dangerous weapon? sorry to bust your bubble, but Holmes did not have any "assault" weapon, just a regular pistol, shotgun, and a semi-auto rifle (which btw, actually means it's not an automatic weapon). The only thing he had that was blatantly dangerous was the explosives he cooked up himself in his apartment.
Civilians should only have access to slow firing weapons that can shoot no more than 6 rounds per clip. Shotguns and semi-automatic weapons should be off limits.

Civilians should also be restricted to only one gun so that they can't stock pile weapons and sell them off illegally, or use them on massacres.

If the shooter has great accuracy and can kill with each shot fired then limiting the rounds per clip and increasing reload times would save more lives.

These are all common sense regulations, a gun should only be used as means of intimidation and for hunting purposes only. The range of weapons that can currently be bought legally simply imply violence.
Old 2012-07-24, 16:01   Link #232
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Civilians should only have access to slow firing weapons that can shoot no more than 6 rounds per clip. Shotguns and semi-automatic weapons should be off limits.
LOL, so what, only muzzle loaders? also, you have no idea what semi-automatic actually means right? you realize anything with a "clip" is at least semi-automatic?

Quote:
If the shooter has great accuracy and can kill with each shot fired then limiting the rounds per clip and increasing reload times would save more lives.
Watch less TVs and movies.

Quote:
Civilians should also be restricted to only one gun so that they can't stock pile weapons and sell them off illegally, or use them on massacres.
Once you figure out how to make sure criminals can't get their hands on the hundreds of millions of existing weapons in the US (and the virtually unlimited international arms market), then you can start talking.

Quote:
These are all common sense regulations, a gun should only be used as means of intimidation and for hunting purposes only. The range of weapons that can currently be bought legally simply imply violence.
LOLWHUT? you realize that's a felony right? do you even know anything about gun laws?

No wait, no need to answer, the sheer ignorance from your post speaks for itself.
Old 2012-07-24, 16:10   Link #233
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
The question at large remains. Why are there people who succumbs to their baser instincts while majority can keep those in check ? Are their mental reasonings weaker or are they born inherently evil ? How can we identify and help them if they refused to be helped before they tipped over the edge ?
well it would be nice to just put all my answers together in one word and say its becuz of willpower (or lack of it) but that would be too easy.
apparently he was influenced by the joker, i dont know much about him, other than the older shows, not the movies.
if people like the joker, ask why he's so likeable.
why was the joker the deranged person he is?

if this guy just simply wanted to watch the world burn becuz he was in a bad situation, he is the worst ragequitter possible.
and that pic of him looks like he's just high out of his mind.
Old 2012-07-24, 16:12   Link #234
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
LOL, so what, only muzzle loaders? also, you have no idea what semi-automatic actually means right? you realize anything with a "clip" is at least semi-automatic?
You are right, I am not very knowledgeable on guns, nor do I care to know, what I care about is that you are able to shoot a lot of bullets in a short time and that you have to reload constantly.

Quote:
Watch less TVs and movies.
I am just depicting the worst case scenario.

Quote:
Once you figure out how to make sure criminals can't get their hands on the hundreds of millions of existing weapons in the US (and the virtually unlimited international arms market), then you can start talking.
You can start off by being unable to buy 15 weapons at once and then driving down the border or handing them to your homies.

Quote:
LOLWHUT? you realize that's a felony right? do you even know anything about gun laws?
No wait, no need to answer, the sheer ignorance from your post speaks for itself.
Couldn't think for a second what I tried to imply with that word before mouthing off? Intimidation as a means of self defense. As in, get the fuck out of my house before I blow your head off.
Old 2012-07-24, 16:24   Link #235
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I also wonder about this. I've read a few stories about people who went on killing rampages, and the things that they complained about in their own lives weren't so different from the experiences that I've had in mine. What led them to cross that border and take it out on others, usually before turning the gun on themselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I don't understand it either. My take on this:

people who live in societies have developed mental inhibitions against seriously harming other people in any but the most extreme situations. It's possible that mental illness has prevented these inhibitions to form in some individuals, or a life of physical and mental abuse has worn these down. I'd consider this type fundamentally different from the rest of society.

However it is often easier to simply circumvent these mental inhibitions by detachment and dehumanization of the targets. It's a fairly common method used in warfare and gang violence. A self absorbed introvert individual like Holmes who failed his studies, isolated himself from society, and lost himself in fantasies and substance abuse, may have been able at some point to simply stop seeing others as real people. An anger/power fantasy could then simply replace his previous ambitions and become his new goal in life.

A problem I have with this theory is that most individuals in such a situation would turn that anger inward and start showing self-destructive behavior without targeting others.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:27   Link #236
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post

A problem I have with this theory is that most individuals in such a situation would turn that anger inward and start showing self-destructive behavior without targeting others.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I would've gladly provided him with a razor.
Old 2012-07-24, 16:29   Link #237
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
You are right, I am not very knowledgeable on guns, nor do I care to, what I care about is that you can shoot a lot of bullets in a short time and that you have to reload constantly.
If you don't care to educate yourself on a particular subject, then perhaps you shouldn't spout off on what is appropriate or not.

Quote:
I am just depicting the worst case scenario.
No, you're depicting an impossible scenario. Not even Hathcock himself can go out and get one shot kills on a bunch of moving targets. Real life isn't like in video games or movies, bullets don't usually hit their mark, and rarer still would one be enough to kill a person.

Also, the worst-case-scenario in this particular incident would've been if Holmes didn't use any guns at all and choose to use his explosives.

Quote:
You can start off by being unable to buy 15 weapons at once and then driving down the border or handing them to your homies.
yea, because that's how criminals do it right? spend tens of thousands in legitimate gun shop getting registered weapons instead of, I dunno, getting them on the cheap from their fellow criminals?

Quote:
Couldn't think for a second what I tried to imply with that word before mouthing off? Intimidation as a means of self defense. As in, get the fuck out of my house before I blow your head off.
No, I don't try to assume to know what other people thinks, nor did you hint at anything about home-defense in any case. Also, it's actually a terrible home defense tactic, you should really stop believing stuff you see on TV.

I'm all for debating sensible gun control policy with people who genuinely wants to, but people like you who doesn't have an inkling of how it is in reality and don't care to know? you're no better than those NRA folks who think everyone should have a gun.
Old 2012-07-24, 16:45   Link #238
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Well, if he somehow finds his was to the inmate general population, I don't think he'll last long.

Aurora shooting suspect James Holmes jailed in solitary: ‘All the inmates were talking about killing him’

Quote:
On the suspect’s first night in jail, other prisoners serenaded him with a chant of “kid killer” — a reference to the fatal shooting of a 6-year-old girl.

“All the inmates were talking about killing him,” Wayne Medley, 24, said as he left the facility. “Everyone was looking for an opportunity. It’s all they could talk about.”
Endless "He dyes his hair, we should ban dying hair!" Soul
Old 2012-07-24, 16:54   Link #239
flying ^

Newsflash

New, fresh-off-the-press stats just days after the Century 16 Theater incident...

Quote:
Between Friday and Sunday, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people who wanted to purchase a firearm — a 43 percent increase over the previous Friday through Sunday and a 39 percent jump over those same days on the first weekend of July.
Quote:
The biggest spike was on Friday, when there were 1,216 checks, a 43 percent increase over the average number for the previous two Fridays.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 17:03   Link #240
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post

New, fresh-off-the-press stats just days after the Century 16 Theater incident...
That is because of what happened in Castle Rock Colorado a few years back.
When the SCOTUS declared this:

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po.../28scotus.html

After that decision many Liberals here in CO went from anti-gun to pro-gun overnight.