AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 03
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 49 22.17%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 39 17.65%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 52 23.53%
7 out of 10: Good... 46 20.81%
6 out of 10: Average... 18 8.14%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 6 2.71%
4 out of 10: Poor... 6 2.71%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 5 2.26%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-22, 03:10   Link #181
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
This was a rather poor episode.

The creators should have explained, how Kirito met up with the guild and why did he suddenly decide to join up with them when he was a loner in the previous two episodes. The pacing was extremely rushed, jumping months between every scene. I can understand that Kirito got attached to the guild's members during that time, but we only saw like two scenes with them, so I could hardly care about their deaths.
The trap scene was also way too rushed. Then before it took an effect on him, they immediately jumped another half a year and who knows what happened during that time?

It'll be laughable if Sachi is going to have a huge impact on Kirito's life after this, and yet we have only known this 'important' character for a single episode

Visals, BGM and the VA's were great as always, but the lousy script and the bad directing pretty much ruined the whole episode.

4/10
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:12   Link #182
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: At the darkness beyond time.
its really that problematic the time skip, this is nothing so unusual in anime/manga, its true that in LN we always have insight from the protagonist or the narrator,nut not the case in the other 2 formats,one example is both FMA animes wich were like this in their first episodes(mostly the first anime), and certainly this isnt at the level of complexity of baccano!.
__________________
zeniselv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:14   Link #183
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I liked the episode.

The only 2 major beefs I had with this episode, is firstly, I do think that the transition to RDR from Beater is still a little bit off. They've kept a degree of consistency stemming from Kirito's lingering inner troubles ( regret of sorts ) that kept Kirito being an awkward soul, but it still felt a little bit jarring.

Secondly is the fact that the episode showed way too much restraint for an emotional piece. This is a personal opinion, but I thought that given the scope of drama that they wanted to cram into one episode, it lacked the 'execution of emotions.'

Maybe it would've been different from the source material, but I personally did feel that if they dedicated just a few extra minutes towards padding in more moments like Kirito bawling his heart out at the very final scene or at least screamed like a madman when Keita jumped to his death... it could've amplified what was a rather subdued episode of emotional heart-tingling.

When it comes to emotional episodes, it is my feeling that the smallest things make all the difference. This episode did some things really well ( like ending the episode of Sachi's final words, etc )... but they could've been a lot more impactful.

Eg. a few seconds of a scene showing Kirito (with dead eyes) walking back to Keita alone, while Keita was all happy. Something like that would've been really powerful.

It's too bad that SAO deaths occur with the bodies vanishing. Otherwise, the scene above with Kirito carrying Sachi's dead body would've been perfect. >:3

Even if it would've been extremely extremely awkward if Kirito kept a coffin of Sachi's corpse laying around... hoping for the revival item to work... <.<
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:18   Link #184
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philippines
Did a marathon of two episodes. Felt somewhat rushed but it's good. I am guessing the staff want to get to the meat of plot.

Oh, the irony. Kirito has the knowledge to help them yet that same knowledge will get him ostracized. I am beginning to think those who are prejudiced against beaters are too dumb to live. I mean its life or death in this game. Having knowledge about this game would be huge asset.
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:25   Link #185
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Oh, the irony. Kirito has the knowledge to help them yet that same knowledge will get him ostracized. I am beginning to think those who are prejudiced against beaters are too dumb to live. I mean its life or death in this game. Having knowledge about this game would be huge asset.
Beaters hogs that knowledge to themselves without sharing. Prejudice is only natural.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:34   Link #186
palaboy7878
Being an Airhead
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: At my House
Send a message via Skype™ to palaboy7878
It's rather dissapointing....Asuna didn't show up T_T
__________________
=To be frank,Maintaining this Cute and Fluffy image has gotten...Quite Tiresome..=
palaboy7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:37   Link #187
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Beaters hogs that knowledge to themselves without sharing. Prejudice is only natural.
But still, Kirito has shown there are beaters who would help them. It would be wise just to try to enlist those kind of beaters to help them. But then again, I would agree that finding beaters like Kirito would be too idealistic.
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:43   Link #188
woebegoneknight
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Anime-only viewer here, never heard of the LN, haven't even read any particular hints about the future of the show. "Oh well, I guess they want to get to the meat of the plot," doesn't make any sense to me, because this appears to be the meat of the plot, and I wouldn't have known otherwise short of that comment.

This show is pretty awful so far. These points were mentioned in various posts, but here again, for good measure:

Ep.2 ending, Kirito is going loner. Ep.3 beginning, he's joining a guild, smiling around other people & such. What happened? Wait, he's level 40!!!?

Where's that cute, awesome swords-girl that Kirito seemed to have a connection with last ep?

Floor 28? Holy cow, that was a lot of boss fights & such they skipped over. I mean, look at how much drama just went into the Floors 1->2.

Hey, Klein's still alive?! What happened... Oh, we get nothing.

Klein's guild fighting some other guild... Wait, is there PVP in this game? That wasn't touched, have these players been killing each other for loot/XP this whole time? Oh... you're not going to tell us.

Where's the cute swords-chick from the opening?

DEMON SANTA!!!! THIS SHOULD BE EPIC, OMGGgg.... Never mind, I guess. No epic demon santa battle for me. Really? We spent more time this ep fighting treasure chest guards than we did fighting the crazy demon santa.

Aaaannnd... Kirito's back in loner mode, we know nothing else about the rest of the world except for the fact that Klein's alive, so this episode literally might as well not have happened. He was in loner mode at the end of last episode, I-saw-somebody-die-so-don't-get-attached-to-anyone mode at the end of last episode, and we knew nothing about Cutey McSword at the end of last episode either.

Jeeze, and I thought I had enough to bitch about at the end of last episode. I'll probably keep watching for a little bit because the setting has some potential, but yikes, this has not been good.
woebegoneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 03:43   Link #189
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
I thought this was a good episode. I think they overdid it by beating us on the head with the "you won't die" talk and it turns out that they all die in the way. Their death didn't sadden me (maybe perhaps that death by pickaxe, ouch), but their effect on Kirito did. It was sad to see Kiro trying to protect them and ended in failure and probably will drive him to be more loner.

Still, I kinda failed how exactly is his fault though. The Black Cats were dead because of their stupidity...
The scene where he tells them not to open it was supposed to be longer. They had time to argue about it. Kirito could have told them he'd already fought in that dungeon as part of the clearing group and found it to be full of traps, but didn't because he didn't want to reveal his level.

This ep didn't hit me as hard as the novel. I guess partly because I knew precisely what to expect, partly because of pacing. Mostly pacing. I knew they'd all die from the beginning.

Also, they didn't have Argo in Aria, but they show her now? The hell?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 04:04   Link #190
Methias
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by woebegoneknight View Post
Anime-only viewer here, never heard of the LN, haven't even read any particular hints about the future of the show. "Oh well, I guess they want to get to the meat of the plot," doesn't make any sense to me, because this appears to be the meat of the plot, and I wouldn't have known otherwise short of that comment.

This show is pretty awful so far. These points were mentioned in various posts, but here again, for good measure:

Ep.2 ending, Kirito is going loner. Ep.3 beginning, he's joining a guild, smiling around other people & such. What happened? Wait, he's level 40!!!?

Where's that cute, awesome swords-girl that Kirito seemed to have a connection with last ep?

Floor 28? Holy cow, that was a lot of boss fights & such they skipped over. I mean, look at how much drama just went into the Floors 1->2.

Hey, Klein's still alive?! What happened... Oh, we get nothing.

Klein's guild fighting some other guild... Wait, is there PVP in this game? That wasn't touched, have these players been killing each other for loot/XP this whole time? Oh... you're not going to tell us.

Where's the cute swords-chick from the opening?

DEMON SANTA!!!! THIS SHOULD BE EPIC, OMGGgg.... Never mind, I guess. No epic demon santa battle for me. Really? We spent more time this ep fighting treasure chest guards than we did fighting the crazy demon santa.

Aaaannnd... Kirito's back in loner mode, we know nothing else about the rest of the world except for the fact that Klein's alive, so this episode literally might as well not have happened. He was in loner mode at the end of last episode, I-saw-somebody-die-so-don't-get-attached-to-anyone mode at the end of last episode, and we knew nothing about Cutey McSword at the end of last episode either.

Jeeze, and I thought I had enough to bitch about at the end of last episode. I'll probably keep watching for a little bit because the setting has some potential, but yikes, this has not been good.
1. Kirito is a loner, that is why he showed an awkward face when they invited him to the guild. Him joining the guild just means he doesn't want to be a loner, but because of circumstances, he rather be one.

2 Honestly at this point, I think you're better off writing your own novel. The LN didn't feautured all the level's bosses, and had a timeskip too, so basically the anime is doing rather well. I think you're complaining at the wrong things =/

3. the cute chick with swords, yes please remember her beautiful name, Asuna. Serisouly, you expect each episode to feature each character and give them development? =/

4. The Klein part fighting off the 3 parties was skipped, but I think that is the least of the problem here right? And not telling you the first time it shows up doesn't mean it's bad, it just means that maybe sometime in the future it will happen, geez impatient aren't we?

5. For the santa battle, it wasn't written in the light novels too, so blame the author.

and this episode serves as a character development episode, albeit a little bit poor because of the time constraint, nonetheless it is important for the main character's character development that I'm sure will come in play somehow.
Methias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 04:21   Link #191
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Opening scene was a total deja vu to .hack//
Kirito seems to be doing just fine on his own.
Reunion with Klein was kinda flat. Kirito is one weird guy.
He doesn't like guilds or parties, but joins one anyway. His strategies are pretty unusual.
Just can't figure him out. He keeps to himself, but helps others when needed.
Going to a higher floor was a really bad idea. That trap came with a high price.
I think I get it now. Kirito avoids others because he always gets them killed...
He took Sachi's death pretty hard.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 04:27   Link #192
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Just finished watching, not bad.
The thing that really stood out was how big the differences between levels are. Lv. 48 Kirito onehits the guards while ~Lv. 30 or so guild member dies from one attack.

Santa looked bad, where was his bag with presents? I always envisioned him with a big belly, A-1 crushed my childhood dream

The drama with Klein was a bit too much, instead of crying he should have just looked at Kirito with serious eyes, that'd be enough.
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 04:28   Link #193
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I'm usually not as harsh on the criticism as a lot of people here , but even I have to admit that the pacing was much too quick this episode. To be honest, though, although people were saying it was obvious, I didn't expect them to die because Sachi appeared in the OP, so I was shocked and saddened when she died.

They managed to convey all the information they needed to give this episode. From my perspective as an anime-only watcher, the staff is still handling most parts except the pacing well enough. I'll just be optimistic and assume they'll allow us more time to emotionally digest bigger things the further they go through the story.

I actually liked Sachi's design and her archetype, and Hayami Saori is a great VA, so I'm really sad that she's gone. But maybe that being the biggest impression I had says enough about how this episode was done. Despite the slight negativity though, I think it's still good compared to an average episode in an average anime. I just expected more of SAO, so I'm a bit disappointed.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 04:55   Link #194
Azure King
Snr Spammer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
felt rushed... way too rushed
i didn't felt like the build up for the sachixkirito was enough and the death scene for the party was plain
i'm a non-LN reader so i don't know what suppose to happen before or inbetween and it makes me feel lost when watching this series and i can't help comparing this series to ./hack

4/10
Azure King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 05:05   Link #195
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure King View Post
...i can't help comparing this series to ./hack
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 05:14   Link #196
konart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, RU
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
srsly, yeah... The only common thing here is the fact that this is a game too.
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 05:27   Link #197
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Imagine what would happen if it turned out that the people who died in the game didn't actually die in real life but were simply disconnected from the game and woke up in real life. The people in the game wouldn't know that this was the case since they would have been shut away from the news in the real world. The one who got to the final floor would wake up in bed only to realise that the cake game is a lie.
If that's the case, why isn't the government just unplugging them? The fact that they're still in the game only makes sense is if Kayaba was telling the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I'm surprised no one commented on how n00bish it was to rush in and open a treasure box sitting in the middle of an empty room

And it's quite shocking that some of them died from just a hit or two. That was one of the deadliest trap rooms a DM/GM can put in a paper and pencil RPG game.
They did say they were going to a dungeon on a higher level -- i.e. one that's above their level.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 05:34   Link #198
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The girl's bathroom
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
As a reader of the novels I was very disappointed.

It felt way too rushed for an arc I thought should have had a single episode devoted just to the demise of the Black Cat Guild and another episode about Sachi's final words later on.

And the whole fade to black with the Nicholas fight was another punch in the face.

I can only hope the show gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
They did say they were going to a dungeon on a higher level -- i.e. one that's above their level.
They went to the dungeon in level 27 where the front line was only on 28.

Very foolish for players who had barely hit level 20.
__________________

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 05:42   Link #199
Starlightz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Okay I've just watched the whole episode. Seeing RNR is only 1 ep, I expected it to be rushed, but after watching it, I understand why LN readers (who probably also expected things to be cut) feel disappointed. The episode was like a summary of its original LN version: while it contained enough details from summary, it missed out the emotional bits - which in turn lower impacts of the story, the most blatant ones would be:

- No background introduction of the first meeting between Kirito and the Black Cats.
Spoiler for first meeting in LN:

While in anime, it looked like Kirito was just playing along as he got into the happy mood of the Black Cat. Things became somewhat one-sided. I don't know if I'm not observant enough, but if I didn't read the LN, I probably won't see much emotional attachment between Kirito and the BCs (with exception of Sacchi) other than guildmates.

- Lack of depiction Kirito mindset in the episode
Spoiler for Kirito mindset:

In anime, we only know Kirito was in grief. There wasn't any depiction of his grief level, with the exception of one single thought "If I go alone, I'll probably die" and his soulless eyes after getting the item. Skipping the result of the boss fight didn't help, either. As others have said, it lacks of impacts.

So all in all, an episode that would have been able to bring viewers to the verge of tearing up became a "ok, that was sad"
Starlightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 06:06   Link #200
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightz View Post
I understand why LN readers (who probably also expected things to be cut) feel disappointed.
I can asure you, if you're only watching the anime without the background knowledge from the LN it's an even bigger disappointment
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.