AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2004-04-10, 13:55   Link #1
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
help, my fansubs got deleted!!!!

Well, here is my problem, recently I get some fansubs deleted for no reason, that happened to me before but since i put the windows xp firewall it stopped. now is happening again, here are the specs:

Hard Drive: maxtor 6Y080L0 77Gb

Processor:Intel pentium IV 2.67 GHz

Video card: ati radeon 9600

Conection: ADSL 128/64

the HD is partioned in two, one of 10GHz and other of 66GHz, i lost one GB don't know why but thats not the problem...

actually when i was going to see the properties to see the mark of my HD it apears that rundll32 couldn't run because the file "framedyn.dll" couldn't be found, but windows opened the properties windows anyway...

oh and the files that get deleted are always in the root directory in D: harddrive, if i put them in a folder the are a little more "safe" (i got one entirely folder deleted, but before putting the firewall)

sorry if this has been answered before, but all the threads i serched were more like "i can't delete the files " instead of files disapearing...

Thanks in advance
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 14:22   Link #2
KiNG

If someone really hacked you (which I very doubt), and deleted your files, you should be more careful. Now you're saying that you set up a firewall, and then your files didn't get deleted, so... Also make sure to update your Windows XP through Windows Update.

Now... You can try Recover My Files to recover your deleted files.
KiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 16:11   Link #3
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
If you're overclocking, make sure your PCI bus stays at 33mhz FSB. Otherwise, alot of controllers cannot handle higher frequencies above the standard. It can cause alot of corrupt and missing files.

I highly doubt someone would hack you and only remove some anime files. If anything, they'd want to snoop around for important files and if they don't find any, they'd usually destroy your windows directory.
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 20:22   Link #4
mantidor
the Iniquitous

thanks a lot for your replies

I didn't think that it was a hack neither, but when i put the firewall and it stopped i thought that was it! now is happening again so maybe it wasn't the hack at all...

Im not overclocking, but am not sure, how could I know it??
Old 2004-04-11, 20:35   Link #5
KiNG

If you don't know, then you're not overclocking. If you want more information about overclocking, then run a search in Google, there are plenty of sites. Anyway, have you tried Recover My Files to recover your deleted files?
Old 2004-04-12, 04:21   Link #6
box-chan

first- you're always gonna lose some HD space when you format a drive, this is where the file table/ file system /swap resides. that is normal as far as I know, unless you had that space to begin with and then it <YIKES!> vanished. if thats the case, uh-oh.

As a tech guy the best advice I can give is this: Invest in a good hardware router. especially is you suspect foul play online.

WinXP has an OK firewall, but software is always the last ditch effort in network security. Get a router that will let you block unused ports and secure your xDSL connection.

the only other thing that springs to mind <baring any OC of your system> would be signs of an imminent HD failure. Run a scndisk, making sure to do a physical scan if your data is getting bunked. This isn't the end-all solution wise, but sometimes you can rope off a few bad sectors until you can replace the drive. (and if it is bad, replace it).

this will also make sure you don't throw more files into the black hole on your drive (yes, you'll lose that space it fences off). one question- did it stop after you removed files from the drive? did it start back up after a certain space was taken up?
box-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 20:25   Link #7
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by box-chan
first- you're always gonna lose some HD space when you format a drive, this is where the file table/ file system /swap resides. that is normal as far as I know, unless you had that space to begin with and then it <YIKES!> vanished. if thats the case, uh-oh.

As a tech guy the best advice I can give is this: Invest in a good hardware router. especially is you suspect foul play online.

WinXP has an OK firewall, but software is always the last ditch effort in network security. Get a router that will let you block unused ports and secure your xDSL connection.

the only other thing that springs to mind <baring any OC of your system> would be signs of an imminent HD failure. Run a scndisk, making sure to do a physical scan if your data is getting bunked. This isn't the end-all solution wise, but sometimes you can rope off a few bad sectors until you can replace the drive. (and if it is bad, replace it).

this will also make sure you don't throw more files into the black hole on your drive (yes, you'll lose that space it fences off). one question- did it stop after you removed files from the drive? did it start back up after a certain space was taken up?
WinXP is ok for its integrated firewall as box states. But Once SP2 comes out in the following months there will be a drastic change to it. Like Box's advice get a hardware firewall. For a last resort get ZoneAlarm.

With my encouters with Maxtor drives I am not very impressed. I had 2 maxtor hd get corrupted and i had to reformat my comp etc. I was not very pleased with maxtor but I heard good things about Western Digital. I had a Western Digital HD for about a year and I saw no change in performance. If you are a hardcore on hardware getting a Seagate HD is nice. Many hardcore OCers buy Seagates and WD's.

Quote:
oh and the files that get deleted are always in the root directory in D: harddrive, if i put them in a folder the are a little more "safe" (i got one entirely folder deleted, but before putting the firewall)
Sounds like a trojan to me. Run some Antivirus and do a nice scan on the drive. Maybe something that scans for trojans.
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 01:15   Link #8
box-chan

Well let me say this, and its strictly my opinion (based on my experiences):

Whenever I build out new systems for clients I use western digital or IBM drives when possible. <And props to NarutoFan for beating me to this> I have had to RMA 7 maxtor drives with my vendors that were less than a year old- and some clients thought they could throw it in "on the cheap." um, NO! Turns out they spent more money in the long run with my service call and replacement install than if they had just picked up a WD or called me to begin with. I always use WD, they are SOLID from my experience, and the SATA drives are simply a JOY to use if your mobo supports it.

Personally I have had 3 maxtor drives fail on me, and one situation was thankfully in a mirrored array but still, not a good track record.

for the possibility of a trojan I would say look into either f-prot or norton antivirus: both companies update frequently with f-prot having a price point advantage.
box-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 23:55   Link #9
mantidor
the Iniquitous

thanks again for your advices!!!

im very doubtful about the trojan/virus/hack. Im running norton antivirus also...

I think the problem is in the HD, maybe i didn't noticed exactly when the erase of the files stopped and when it begun again, but is always if the file is in the root directory D.

The files disappeared this last time when i erased some other files wich were in D also, so im guessing is the HD afterall...

great avatar box-chan! im an obsessive invader zim fan.
Old 2004-04-14, 04:55   Link #10
KiNG

Recover My Files?
Old 2004-05-01, 13:50   Link #11
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNG
you insisted long enough, so I tried it... but the damn program only lists the files deleted and ask me to pay if I want to recover them, great work, bastard program I only wanted to know the names of my deleted files and not recovered them

Sorry, but I m a little altered (almost suicidal) 'cause suddenly I got MANY fansubs deleted, the eps of moster, bakuten, all marimite, wolf's rain etc.etc.etc. ;_;_;_;_;_;_;

damn, I tried another program, Handy recovery, who actually recovers the files but they were beyond help, I got like 14 Mb of each ;_;_;

Finally I got some CDs and soon I'll buy DVDs so every single damn ep downloaded goes to burning

It takes me almost a day to download an single episode, it would take me the whole month to recover the lost ones ;_;

Anyway thanks to you all for your help and advices, I really, really appreciated, thanks a lot