AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2014-05-08, 00:22   Link #1
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

New shoujo~ish anime that guy can watch

Any suggestions on some shoujo~ish anime that i won't have to pull out my hair watching it? Romance mostly, i guess.Or the other way around, a shounen one but girls will enjoy watching.

Best to be within last 2-3 years. Something like the recent Noragami, Inari Konkon, or Nisekoi but don't have to be limited to that kind of settings
Old 2014-05-08, 00:51   Link #2
Darthtabby

Are you watching this season's Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii (The World is Still Beautiful)? Some of the fourth wall breaking in the first episode can be a bit cringeworthy, but its become very good in the last few episodes.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 01:07   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

The currently airing Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou is the most effeminate seinen show I've ever seen. lol...

I think Servant x Service would appeal to anyone in a gender sense...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 04:12   Link #4
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
I'll suggest Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, it was a pretty enjoyable one for me from 2012.

Technically Josei, not shoujo, but I'll put a suggestion for Chihayafuru here just in case . I mean it has romance, but it's quite the focus...
Old 2014-05-08, 05:48   Link #5
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

I hopes you guys know the consequences of recommending the wrong shows...?

I will have to endure myself through the season, while pretending i can't get enough of it. So please, please careful with what you picks... x(
Old 2014-05-08, 06:08   Link #6
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i like Servant x Service aswell
Old 2014-05-08, 06:19   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a good pick. Shoujo ingredients, shounen tone.

Bunny Drop is josei, but that would also be a good one.

Kimi ni Todoke is very shoujo, but very sweet and nice. You might try a couple episodes and see if you like it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 06:29   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I found Kamisama Hajimemashita very entertaining.
Old 2014-05-09, 03:37   Link #9
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii is definitely interesting.... (actually i lied, but love Nike as a main lead, so could follow the story)

Will go for Servant x Service and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun next just because they were recommended twice. Usagi Drop meanwhile already a masterpiece, so won't need to mention it
Old 2014-05-11, 03:37   Link #10
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

She found Servant x Service boring and already watched Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun....

Any other suggestions
Old 2014-05-11, 07:44   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

What about the other suggestions we've already given you? I'd second Chihayafuru and Usagi Drop, though both are technically josei.

Ever watched Nodame Cantabile? How about that? Saiunkoku Monogatari? Hataraki Man?

I'll also recommend the four OVAs that constitute Otona Joshi no Anime Time if you're open to a more serious show. The stories range from funny to wry to sad to disturbing.
Old 2014-05-11, 12:24   Link #12
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
What about the other suggestions we've already given you? I'd second Chihayafuru and Usagi Drop, though both are technically josei.

Ever watched Nodame Cantabile? How about that? Saiunkoku Monogatari? Hataraki Man?

I'll also recommend the four OVAs that constitute Otona Joshi no Anime Time if you're open to a more serious show. The stories range from funny to wry to sad to disturbing.
It's a bit difficult because i don't have a list of anime that i tried / watched to show you guys

Tried Nodame Cantabile, Kimi ni Todoke and Chihayafuru but not quite enjoyed them. Already watched Usagi Drop and as mentioned, was a real masterpiece, too bad it could not be longer (the manga.. i assumed it was another series).

OVA will be too short so i will prefer if it's a series. And the problem with older shows like Saiunkoku Monogatari or Hataraki Man is it's fairly difficult to find now (unless it was on free on Crunchy Roll or something without me realising it).

Seems there was really lack of anime falling into this category? Cause Spring 2014 alone gave me 3 decent shows at Noragami, Inari Konkon and Nisekoi, so i thought shoujo romcom like that was much more abundance
Old 2014-05-11, 13:06   Link #13
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

I'm not sure if it's considered "shoujou", even though its art style firmly belongs in that genre. Otome Youkai Zakuro was a surprise hit for me back in 2010. It's a "historical" fantasy set in an alternative Meiji era Japan. It's also equal parts comedy and romance. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already done so.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Benibana no Otome Uta

Am I a flower, a butterfly, or a demon?
Ah! Should I no longer be concerned about my body or this world?
What I wield is not rouge, but a piercing blade.
Would you be so kind as to give me plenty of praise?

I am a blooming flower, happy about my blooming, too.
Ah! However, a flower must scatter away at some point.
I can sever my fate, but cannot sever that child's life.
If I should have killed, only more infernal torture will await me.

I am a withered flower, the flower bud of a demon.
No matter how hard I try, I cannot stop my being dyed crimson.
To me, neither the rouge nor that child is needed.
Someday, please kindly allow me to change back into a flower bud.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-11, 13:57   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
She found Servant x Service boring and already watched Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun....

Any other suggestions
Ahhhh... You're looking for a show to watch with your girlfriend? Or at least a female friend.

Hmm, well it depends on what the girl likes. Everyone has different interests, and it's hard to pick something based on just gender. I'll do my best though.

Cross Game and other works by Adachi should work well. They are shounen, but lots of girls like them. Usually have strong female characters as well. Cross Game in particular, it's a baseball romance.

Crest of the Stars is another shounen that has some good appeal to women. It's a space opera, well done with strong male and female leads.

Otome Youkai Zakuro is an action adventure romance shoujo. Might be a good pick.

K-On is a slice of life shounen known to have a lot of crossover appeal to girls. All about a girls band.

Clannad and Clannad: After Story is a romance drama that probably has cross over appeal.

Madoka Magica is a seinen Magical Girls series. Very good. Should probably have crossover appeal to girls. Especially if they liked Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon itself isn't a bad choice, it's shoujo but has some crossover appeal to guys because of the action.

Maison Ikkoku is a seinen romance. Old, but still very popular. Appeals to women as well as men. A romance between a young widow and a new college student. The first dew episodes does have a young woman (minor character) walking around in a see-through nighty for a few scenes. Doesn't really happen again after the first few episodes. Starts off a little slow, but continues to improve and has one of the strongest finishes to a romance that I have ever seen.

Can you give us some more details on what you are looking for?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2014-05-11, 21:31   Link #15
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

As mentioned, the problem with older anime, is it would be really difficult to find (and it's likely that i already heard about it). So I prefer one in last 2-3 years

It's just a friend, so if anything too smutty, it gonna get awkward. I guess standard romcom, with 70% comedy /action~ish, and 30% romance are the easiest options. Something along the like of Inu Yasha, except i don't like any of Rumiko's heroines so will avoid it if i could. Good story aside, as long as it has a respectable main characters and likeable heroines, i'm ok with standard shoujo pacing and storyline. Reversed harem without a clear winner, however gonna bug me a bit so i will like to avoid that also.

On your recommendations: K-on, Clannad, Madoka Magica.... they are too mainstream, so of course i already knew about them!! As mentioned earlier Crest of the Stars and Maison Ikkoku would be out of it. Cross Games, thought and carefully considered about it, but my childhood was haunted by Adachi work so don't want to watch it.

Otome Youkai Zakuro and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou will be next on the list to check out
Old 2014-05-12, 01:21   Link #16
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
the problem with older anime, is it would be really difficult to find
Not really. Unless you have internet access issues.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 04:09   Link #17
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Not really. Unless you have internet access issues.
I have more internet access than i need. But i don't know the kind of sorceries which you are talking about
Old 2014-05-13, 09:46   Link #18
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Would Clannad: After Story be a good idea?
Old 2014-05-13, 15:21   Link #19
IceHism

Quote:
Would Clannad: After Story be a good idea?
Let's see.

Romance? Check
Shounen that girls wouldn't mind watching? Check
Heartwrenching emotions, great plot, and likable characters? Check

I'd say if you have seen the first clannad, Clannad After story is a must watch as after story is considerably better than the first one.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 18:41   Link #20
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Quote:
I have more internet access than i need. But i don't know the kind of sorceries which you are talking about
I think he means that most older anime is easily available on the Internet.

For example both the old series I recommended are on youtube:

Crest of the Stars
(Japanese)
Maison Ikkoku (Japanese and English)

That said, if you want something more modern:

A Certain Scientific Railgun S (the second season) should probably a good bet (the first season has several lesbian jokes that can get rather wearisome, and might not go over with a girl - depending on the girl). You don't really need to watch the first season before the second. That might be mainstream to you though.

Chrono Crusade would be an older one that should go over pretty well. Last Exile as well.

Fullmetal Alchemist (which I sure you already know of, but still it does have a lot of fangirls so a decent choice for watching with a girl I guess).

Perhaps Kotoura-san or Hyouka? Perhaps Bodacious Space Pirates if you'd like some action adventure. Maybe Free! if you can endure male eye candy.

Your request is still rather vague on what you want, and more focused on what you don't want. So I'll just give you a list that seems to be around what you are asking for:

Ano Hana
Silver Spoon
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Minami-ke
(4 seasons worth)
Tamako Market
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Kokoro Connect
Tari Tari
Ano Natsu De Matteru
Hanasaku Iroha

Hopefully some of those you haven't already seen.