AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Total Eclipse/Muv-Luv

Notices

Old 2013-07-18, 07:51   Link #1161
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
STOP HACKING MY PC AND PREREADING MY FICS!!! ...either that, or you must know one of the Sestina sisters and are actually hacking my brain.

Seriously, you guys are one step ahead of me in my story alreayd, which is why I have to keep changing it...
Actually, Scarlet Sisters are my other waifus, so yeah.

Keep wearing that tinfoil.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 10:04   Link #1162
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

So, do you guys think that Muv-Luv is one of the harder type to write a fanfic? I mean, it is just barely under Gundam UC, where most of the time writing a serious fic, you have to re-create almost everything!
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 07:11   Link #1163
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
So, do you guys think that Muv-Luv is one of the harder type to write a fanfic?
- It's hard to write a fanfic NOT involving original characters when people die left right and center. No, seriously. I know lots of purists crack it when someone puts in OCs in their fics, but a lot of stuff in ML either requires you pay VERY close attention to details when writing about existing characters (like making sure it's not only plausible, but that they're actually still alive when you write about them).

It's just easier for me to write OCs in my ML fic because none of the original characters are alive or existing at that time. Plus, they don't have plot armor--You know Takeru's survived Operation Ouka and Yuuya didn't (--or did he?). But for all you know, the original character I'm talking about right now will have her head CHOMPED off in the next installment after landing her UCAV.

On the fanfiction thread sometime back, somebody suggested that Kouki might have been inspired by Kambayashi Chohei's Yukikaze novels. I didn't put much stock in that until I did a search on the Japanese WWII Destroyer Yukikaze (Which the aircraft in Yukikaze is named after):

- The WWII Yukikaze is a Kagero-class destroyer. The Novel Yukikaze is a Super Syplh--a fighter originally based on a modified F-15 design
- The Muv-Luv Japanese version of the F-15 Eagle is F-15J "Kagero".
- ML Wiki mentions 12 Kagero were initally builts for production. In the Yukikaze Novel, only 12 Super Sylphs exist.

...hmmmm...coincidence, or is my Tinfoil hat on too tight?
Old 2013-07-20, 08:22   Link #1164
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Wow, killing your own character? That is one crazy thing! - But after all, Muv-Luv is ludicurios! Who would have though that combining Sim Dating with Sci-fy Military would made a great hit!
Also, when I mentioned that Muv-Luv fic is hard to write, I also mean it's hard to enjoy. Even Muv-Luv itself is not a passing thing! Whether you are reading, playing or watching it, you must take time to think and wonder, both during and after.
Old 2013-07-20, 08:32   Link #1165
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

What I find annoying about the fanfic scene is that so far as I can see, maybe only three guys aren't doing Peggy Sue. And they're all here: Sasahara17, Alastor Mobius Toth and Me.

Sasahara's doing a Frontier/Total Eclipse cross, AMT's doing a TE AU, and I'm doing an OC-centric fic best described as Malaysian Hornets in Action.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 09:28   Link #1166
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Have just reading your fic and leave a review! I must say that this and "Muv-Luv: Comet" are welcoming fresh spring wind!
Also, these hardness I wrote before, they didn't mean anything bad! They are just the obstacles I encountered while writing my Code Geass/Muv-Luv fic. These (and my twin's broken arm) are the reason I put it in histatus and instead experimenting with a LBX-style Extra fic. Just wish that I have someone to guide me...
Old 2013-07-20, 12:17   Link #1167
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Quote:
So, do you guys think that Muv-Luv is one of the harder type to write a fanfic? I mean, it is just barely under Gundam UC, where most of the time writing a serious fic, you have to re-create almost everything!
Quite the opposite actually; since so many things are unclear, I have greater freedom in implementing certain changes the way I see them, and not the franchise. Hence, there are quite few changes from presumed Muv-Luv lore, but even so, the lack of information makes it probable that said changes could look like I wanted them, if Muv-Luv ever covered them...

In short, I find it great, because I can combine my own take on cannon, and add my own elements, without too much fuss, simply because there are so many things we don't fully know.

As for killing your own OCs - it's kinda like God Complex. You created them, and you have the power to kill them whenever you want. It's as close to playing God as you can literally get. And like wave, I'm not particularly shy about killing my own characters to make a point. Or worse, since Bishop from Comet would probably be better off dead, than alive.

As for the fics, I agree with Goose that there's a gross over-representation of "One More Loop" fics. Some of them can be good (Breaking the Tide comes to mind - at least what's written so far), but most are completely the same pastiche of "go back, try again, try to avert deaths of particular characters". I'm kinda saddened that nobody tried to fix (yet) Alternative's horrible, horrible ending, which basically undid the entire growth and evolution of Takeru in exactly 5 minutes.

Of course, part of the issue is that only the most hardcore fandom section (I'm looking at us, Muv-Luv wiki) knows enough of side-stories to write fanfics about them.
Old 2013-07-20, 16:07   Link #1168
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@Alastor Mobius Tooth: You got that right! But the question is: How many hardcore fan are there, and how many of them write fanfic? I mean that Muv-Luv isn't the most well-know VN franchise ("Fate/" is!) Most of them just playing Unlimited/Alternative and a few more at the best. Maybe a large collabration would work, like the whole Muv-Luv Wikia! Hope that someday we would see about The Day After or even Faraway Dawn!
Anyway, does anyone know the key to a battle scene (TSF or GR?)
Old 2013-07-20, 20:00   Link #1169
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer
Wow, killing your own character? That is one crazy thing!
- No it's not. In the Alternative/Unlimited Universe, this stuff happens on a regular basis. I'm saying that OCs, they don't have the sort of plot/timeline armor that main established characters do. The OCs I write are the main characters in their story but would be disposable sub-characters to the main plot. EG whatever happens to them does not affect the main established story (This is why my fic hasn't had any established characters turn up yet. the stuff they're doing isn't that big a deal---yet.).

I mean honestly (to use an in-universe non-fic example), we all thought Latrova was dead back in Kamchatka, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
What I find annoying about the fanfic scene is that so far as I can see, maybe only three guys aren't doing Peggy Sue. And they're all here: Sasahara17, Alastor Mobius Toth and Me.
- Jesus, my characters and fic are that bad?

Also, Malaysia has both Fulcrums and Hornets IRL, would be interesting to see how that works in MuvLuv.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2013-07-20 at 20:45.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 21:13   Link #1170
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Goose probably meant in terms of officially published fanfictions (i.e, on FF.net, or SpaceBattles).
Old 2013-07-20, 22:07   Link #1171
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Anyone ever dream about a fic about the battle on the Moon, before BETA landing?
Old 2013-07-20, 23:28   Link #1172
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
- Jesus, my characters and fic are that bad?

Also, Malaysia has both Fulcrums and Hornets IRL, would be interesting to see how that works in MuvLuv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Goose probably meant in terms of officially published fanfictions (i.e, on FF.net, or SpaceBattles).
What AMT said.

As for the Fulcrums... No comment.

Quote:
Anyone ever dream about a fic about the battle on the Moon, before BETA landing?
No, but it might be interesting, in the Dog Life & Dog Style War Is Hell We are all fucked sense.

If you have the idea, write it out.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 23:31   Link #1173
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

2 months later i'm still stuck writing for what ever happens in korean peninsula but i know already what i have envisioned in the end...

-Type 94 X-7 will be povital to the development of Takemi(Additional variants like Type-T, Type-S, Type-D and stronger base variant Type-R and Type A)

-Takatsukasa Kyoko will earn experience that will allow her to survive the Battle of Miho Bay in the future

-Yuuhi will be able to pivot her position as the next shogun due to manipulation of what happened during the Battle of Pyongyang.

-Increase of Morale in Eastern Front as the Battle of Pyongyang is the only recorded victory of terrans vs BETA even though the victory is almost Pyrrhic (out of 30000 troops deployed by both UN, Japan, COSEAN and China only 8000 Survived and only 137 TSF survive out of 459 deployed). Despite of the victory they will not be able to halt BETA movements and Japan will still be invaded despite the valiant efforts of many Eishis and Soldiers. However this proved Royal Guard's pilot pedigree surpasses world class as they were able to tilt the battle with mere 16 TSFs of F-4J and a single experimental unit. This signifies that Japan is now true world power resulting to more influence in UN in an international scale including Japan's increasing influence in COSEAN and Oceania and it is somewhat made americans wary. this victory ensured that Japan is pivotal as it has strategic importance to world wide defense Network and eventually as emerging battlefront against BETA.

-A Hero is reborn during the Battle of Pyongyang. He will be promoted to be a non-inheritance Vassal of the Shogun and will become Meiya or Kyoko's fiance' though he already promised Yuuhi.

-The results of this event will eventually lead the whole Kobuin Household(Except Yuuhi) to be massacred in 1998 BETA attack on Kyoto. Though it seems Yuuhi knows something about it.
maxxus0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 00:31   Link #1174
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Finished this bit. Very tough to write up because I had to fact-check both the ML wiki and wikipedia on a subject that has very little info currently existing. Will try to put up more but the next bits will be very difficult and tentative.
Quote:
Burkhart decided she would check the UCAV in depth much later as she retraced her steps. None of the other techs seemed to notice her, heavily involved as they were with TSF landing preparations. Elle wondered if Icon Flight had been recalled as well, and whether the surviving BETA they encountered would follow them back to the Pit. The concerns she had considered while in Phantom Arc's control pod now came out.

What is Wilkes doing? Elle continued up the stairs to the white tiled room she originally met Wilkes in. The empty room and hallway greeted her with silent disdain. Burkhart then realized that she'd not asked Min-jae where the Colonel's actual office was.

"Far end of right hallway."

Elle spun around. Speaking behind her was the same young man who'd served Wilkes his meal earlier. He was still wearing the same clean white suit, and wore a dour frown on his face. As if he was being forced to give Burkhart these directions.

"Thanks," Elle responded.

The young man turned away, not making reply.

Burkhart noted the young man's response, which seemed to fit her initial suspicions that most of the people in the Pit were strangely hostile in some way or other. Elle slowly walked down the hallway as she thought of some of the more general oddities. The door to Wilkes' office was open, and the Colonel was at his desk. Lumumba was there as well, but Burkhart could not hear what the two were plotting. Plotting? She wondered why the thought came to her head. Somethign about seeing Lumumba and Wilkes together raised alarm bells in her head. Elle debated whether or not to knock when the two suddenly turned to look at her.

"Sir." Elle snapped to attention.

"Burkhart." Wilkes frozen smile was as unmoving as ever. "Close the door when you come in."

Elle nodded, politely shutting the door. A firm click, and all of a sudden the outside noises were cut off. Soundproofed, Elle realized. Whatever Lumumba and Wilkes were discussing was no secret. But now...

Colonel Wilkes quietly opened his desk and fished out a handgun. A Colt 45 pistol, Standard US Government issue to officers. Along with it he produced a loaded magazine. Lumumba stepped to one side as Wilkes loaded the magazine into the weapon.

"Your thoughts?" Wilkes asked as he gently placed the gun on the table, safety off. A click as he pulled the trigger back before leaving it. The barrel pointed straight at Burkhart.

"On Icon Flight, or the UCAV sir?" Burkhart responded, almost automatically.

"On Icon-1."

Burkhart's skin grew cold. Lumumba stood with arms crossed, looking at her as intently as Wilkes. For a second, she saw a glimpse of fear in Lumumba's eyes as he coldly glared at her. Both seemed to suspect her of something, but Elle could not determine what. The Colonel waited for her response a few seconds before opening a file folder that sat on his desk.

"Wade James Walker. Civilian TSF test pilot." Wilkes began reading from the file in his hand, but it seemed to Elle that it was all for show. Wilkes must have known the file by heart. "He was a test pilot for McDaell Doglam and Northrock for the YF-17 and YF-23 projects. Stayed with McDaell-Doglam. After Boening's acquisition he was transferred to Phantom Works and then to us."

What are they getting at? Burkhart wasn't sure where this was leading. "Never met him, sir."

Wilkes' death grin looked almost comical as he raised both palms in the air and shrugged. "Well, I find that hard to believe after you saw his corpse pulled out of Icon-1 this morning."

Elle tried to keep a poker face but couldn't help wincing at the revelation. The unmoving pistol on the desk seemed to threaten her even further. "I didn't know, sir."

"You either really don't know or you're the damn best actress I've ever met, Lieutenant Burkhart." Wilkes reclined in his chair with arms folded behind his head, but the gun remained on the table. "I really can't tell. Can you tell, Lumumba?"

The other man remained silently uncomfortable.

Wilkes' deaths-head grin hissed. "Tell her."

"Wilkes, this is serious."

"This isn't about trust Lumumba," The Colonel gave Lumumba a glare, the frozen smile reminding Elle again of sharks.

"All right. All right, goddamnit." Lumumba responded, guardedly choosing his words. He fixed Burkhart in his view, as if wishing he had a gun pointed at her. "Min-jae told you this is part of a new initiative, Lieutenant Burkhart. What do you think that is?"

It's not just weaponry. Elle tried counting off the things that were possible. The links that Phantom Arc had with the TSFs then made her wonder. Although TSFs were the main spearhead of anti-BETA operations other combat units from ships and tanks to infantry still played a part. "You're planning to use the Phantom Arc UCAV as a battlefield control post?"

"Well, that's just one part of it." Wilkes gave a knowing glance back at Lumumba, who now seemed to relax. "Decentralized battlefield information networks are one thing we're working on."

"Some of the project's secre--compartmentalized information haven't been revealed to anyone outside of the Pit. Not even to Boening proper or Phantom Works HQ." Lumumba crossed his arms, still wary of her but no longer seeing Elle as a threat. "Someone's been leaking some of that information to Japan. Maybe even the US Government or even some foreign powers. We don't know who."

A spy? Burkhart felt like she was walking on eggshells. The gun on the table became even more of a credible threat. "Why Japan?"

"Mitsuhishi Heavy Industries ATD-X Shinshin." Lumumba responded. He saw the blank look in Burkhart's eyes and began to explain: "The Japanese are interested in developing a fourth-gen TSF, and the Shinshin test unit is it."

"Shinshin also happens to be using some of the same stuff that we're testing." Wilkes' eyes sharpened. "It's essentially a carbon copy of what the Icon machines have in them."

"Maybe it's just a coincidence?"

The crackling noise Elle heard was Wilkes' knuckles tightening.

"Enhanced sensors. Proprietary multi-targetting software. Self-repairing control systems. As well as some other things I am NOT allowed to tell you at this point." The Colonel's low baritone was a growl. "Coincidence? Like hell."

"There's a reason Phantom Works' hangars are underground. Neither the US government or the UN know what we're working on." Lumumba continued.

"As it stands, there's only two people in the Pit that I THINK can't be a spy. Lumumba's one," Wilkes looked Elle in the eye. "You're the other."

"Did Wade Walker know the spy?" Elle cautiously stepped forward, all too aware of the gun on the table.

"Maybe he did. Or maybe he was the spy." Wilkes made no move to retrieve the weapon. "We'll never know now."

A lump in Burkhart's throat. "How did he die?"

"Wade was Icon-1's pilot." Lumumba answered. "Icon-1 executed extreme-G maneuvers and Wade broke his neck."

"And then the autopilot kicked in." Elle mentioned it as fact, but doubted the two men believed it any more than she did. Lumumba remained silent, save for glancing between the two officers.

"This isn't about trust, Burkhart. The purpose of our test pilots is to fine-tune these TSFs and their systems." Finally, Wilkes took the gun from his desktop. A click as he disengaged the trigger, then slid the magazine out. Smile, leer or grimace--Elle could never tell what the colonel's fixed grin truly represented. "When I told you to monitor the pilots? I didn't mean just while flying your UCAV. Are we clear?"

Elle understood what the Colonel meant. She would be spying on the test pilots for him. "Clear, sir."

"Dismissed." He put the pistol back in its drawer. "Both of you. Get the hell out of my office."
...you like to watch, don't you?
Old 2013-07-21, 01:55   Link #1175
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

i just need to post this!!!

Now we need a vocaloid in muv luv!
maxxus0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 02:21   Link #1176
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxus0923 View Post
i just need to post this!!!

Now we need a vocaloid in muv luv!
Why the hell we need a cyan-haired idol in a world full of creppy monster?
Old 2013-07-21, 02:42   Link #1177
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Quote:
Why the hell we need a cyan-haired idol in a world full of creppy monster?
- Macross parody jokes.
Old 2013-07-21, 03:17   Link #1178
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
- Macross parody jokes.
Idol waifu Mabu-ravus when?

柚香マイワイフ!<3
issuzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 03:46   Link #1179
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this is an odd crossover.

A Muv Luv x Strike Witches fanfic.
Old 2013-07-21, 03:50   Link #1180
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
- Macross parody jokes.
Sorry, haven't watch them yet!
Anyway, this is an odd question, but what do you guys think is the reason Muv-Luv isn't as famous as some other VN franchise (No, I don't aim to Nasuverse)?

Last edited by Fireminer; 2013-07-21 at 04:15.

Tags
fanfiction, harem