AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2003-12-10, 01:36   Link #101
Alcy
Left! Right! Seven! Cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
If the Japanese get krn manga translated, they would have to read the opposite way~ since krn is like english, left to right. hahaha thats funny, i can imagine japanese ppl going "i cant believe Seoul Pop flipped the manga!! And wat kinda name is 'Namato?' its supposed to be 'Nam Ho'!!"
WOw, that would be funny to see. XD XD And the funniest part is, I think I came across a Tokyopop version of a Korean series and it was flipped to read in the Japanese direction! XD
Alcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-10, 02:13   Link #102
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcy
WOw, that would be funny to see. XD XD And the funniest part is, I think I came across a Tokyopop version of a Korean series and it was flipped to read in the Japanese direction! XD
o_O u sure!?! TP cant be THAT stupid!! haha what is the author's name and wat title is it??? If you know i mean...
Old 2003-12-10, 02:38   Link #103
Alcy

Quote:
o_O u sure!?! TP cant be THAT stupid!! haha what is the author's name and wat title is it??? If you know i mean...

It was a while ago, I was thinking about picking up something that kinda looked good...I could be wrong about it being flipped but I don't think so. It was probably I.N.V.U.....I actually decided against it since I really don't know anything about Korean culture or language and figured it might confuse me, though I might pick up Under the Glass Moon...
Old 2003-12-10, 03:11   Link #104
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
It was a while ago, I was thinking about picking up something that kinda looked good...I could be wrong about it being flipped but I don't think so. It was probably I.N.V.U.....I actually decided against it since I really don't know anything about Korean culture or language and figured it might confuse me, though I might pick up Under the Glass Moon...
of course i can answer any cultrual or humour questions. ^^
but really we should open a new forum for this when it comes up.
Old 2003-12-10, 17:18   Link #105
Alcy

Quote:
of course i can answer any cultrual or humour questions. ^^
but really we should open a new forum for this when it comes up.
Aww, thanks! Yeah, this thread did get pretty hijacked. *laughs*
Old 2003-12-12, 04:30   Link #106
Ace_of_Hearts
Inactive Member

I don't know about Tokyopop. They massacred the Initial D series. They changed their names, which isn't bad normally but when they even massacre the names, there's a problem. They also changed the story. Now that's bad. I don't know about Tokyopop's other mangas but because they ruined Initial D, I'm not really big on them.
Ace_of_Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 03:57   Link #107
hyung-nim
manga maniac

dang, ADV manga was kool while I read the Azumanga Daioh, but it broke my heart when they changed the Bruce Lee gag into some Van Damn gag... Damn, they ALMOST kept it original, but had to screw it up right there. haha, hey snoopy, when are you gys coming up with more "Midori no Hibi" chapters? I can't wait. It's just too damn good. ^_^
hyung-nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-15, 11:40   Link #108
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyung-nim
dang, ADV manga was kool while I read the Azumanga Daioh, but it broke my heart when they changed the Bruce Lee gag into some Van Damn gag... Damn, they ALMOST kept it original, but had to screw it up right there. haha, hey snoopy, when are you gys coming up with more "Midori no Hibi" chapters? I can't wait. It's just too damn good. ^_^
wat a lame name, wat if ure one of the youngest here? ure wat 18? lol jk
Old 2003-12-15, 20:30   Link #109
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Midori won't be released again until Christmas. But there'll be enough in that update to make up for the lack lately.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 19:54   Link #110
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I like Tokyo Pop the best. Viz is UBER annoying and so is ONE comics. First of all Viz charges WAY to much for their manga, and they screw up what the characters says, such as spelling. For Di Gi Charat they say meow instead of nyo and the spell her name Degiko instead of Dejiko. And ONE comics discontinued WEED. That pissed me and quite a few other ppl off.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 20:01   Link #111
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
I like Tokyo Pop the best. Viz is UBER annoying and so is ONE comics. First of all Viz charges WAY to much for their manga, and they screw up what the characters says, such as spelling. For Di Gi Charat they say meow instead of nyo and the spell her name Degiko instead of Dejiko. And ONE comics discontinued WEED. That pissed me and quite a few other ppl off.
Actually Kenshin's pretty cheap ($8). As for the meow/nyo thing, I guess they were trying to edit way too hard while localizing it ^_~ As for Dejiko, I can see if they did Digiko, but degiko is just kinda weird O_O
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 20:48   Link #112
maxthelostboy

Look what viz did to galazy express 999 manga! Gave up on it $16 copies. FLipped ugh good things those days r gone but i want a rerealse of galazy express 999 unflipped and $10 copies like all viz's new manga. Also why is ranma and inu yasha still flipped?
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 21:36   Link #113
Alcy

Actually, I've seen a lot of spelling mistakes, and a few bad romanizations from Tokyopop.

Bad romanizations/name issues I can think of offhand:

-In Clover, "Suu" became "Sue", which confused most readers- in the library copy I borrowed, someone wrote the hiragana 'su-e' over it thinking that was her name.

-Also in Clover, "Oruha" inexplicably became "Ora".

-In Wish, "Kouryuu" became "Koryu", while it's correct by certain romanization systems, it is confusing to see it without the lengthened vowel sound.

-In Chobits, the name Sumomo was translated to Plum. While correct, it was inconsistant, since most Japanese names do have a meaning to them, and are rarely ever translated. Curiously, an email address coming from that persocom contained "sumomo" instead of "plum". Also, like above, Chii was cut off as Chi.

In previous posts in this thread I've also listed other kinds of mistakes companies are notorious for (such as printing errors). Sometimes a translator makes an error in story, too-for example, in Paradise Kiss, Isabella is labeled as a dragqueen in Tokyopop's description. Volume 3 or 4 proves this to be false, Isabella is a pre-op transsexual. "...when I was so obviously a girl on the inside".
Old 2004-01-07, 13:27   Link #114
tsuki_desu
Hidden in the darkness...

Quote:
Actually, I've seen a lot of spelling mistakes, and a few bad romanizations from Tokyopop.
Same here. But I don't really care cuz at least I can understand it. I can read japanese, it's just that I don't understand most of wat i'm reading.

Oh! And haven't you noticed how sometimes they change the titles? Like Catcher in the horoscope became Zodiac P.I. when it got translated. I liked the other title better....

Last edited by tsuki_desu; 2004-01-07 at 18:13.
tsuki_desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 15:34   Link #115
Chib and Aima

Send a message via AIM to Chib and Aima Send a message via Yahoo to Chib and Aima
Post Help me!

I'm doing an asignment for my General Business class and I kneed to know Who started TokyoPop, How it got started, Why it was started, When it was started, Where it was started, and what dificultys offored while starting.

It's due 1/15/04 here and right now it's 1/8/04. Please help me. The only information I can find I have to pay for.
Chib and Aima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 16:53   Link #116
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Pay for? Why don't you just email them and ask? :P
I'm sure their not to busy to not answer a few questions for a fan. Just be tactful and polite...
Old 2004-01-13, 00:02   Link #117
Chib and Aima

Send a message via AIM to Chib and Aima Send a message via Yahoo to Chib and Aima
Exclamation AHHH I hate time

AHHHH!!!!! I've E-mailed thim awhile ago, but they havn't responded. Since they havn't responded by know I doubt they're going to respond.

this really sucks. I'm the same as out of done and I don't even have all the information I kneed much less a visual that would really help.

If anyone knows anything, PLEASE help me.
Chib and Aima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 13:56   Link #118
Reina

Hmm..

Actually, I translate commercial manga, and I always have a big problem with things like names, and sound effects.

As far as names go, if they are just katakana-versions of English names, I change it to the English spelling. Also, I have had one case where I had to change a name, because it became a bad word in English when romanized.. (>_<) Otherwise, I just leave it the way it is.

And for sound effects, I try my best to translate them into English, but many times it's really impossible. There aren't enough sound words in English... Fortunately, my company leaves the Japanese versions in there too, so anyone who can memorize 46 katakana characters can still read them.

Anyway, the preferences of the average customer is a lot different than those of people who really like manga and are willing to learn a little japanese.. so a lot of companies are forced to kind of dumb-down their translations to get a wider market.

Another thing, English is a lot more wordy than Japanese, so to say the exact same thing is nearly impossible, because of space issues. That's why a lot of English manga seems really vague, because a lot of nuiance doesn't get through..

Anyway..

Reina
Reina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 14:44   Link #119
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Hmm..
Another thing, English is a lot more wordy than Japanese, so to say the exact same thing is nearly impossible, because of space issues. That's why a lot of English manga seems really vague, because a lot of nuiance doesn't get through..
This is where perhaps the companies need to make sure they get in good editing staff - which I've heard isn't happening in some companies (no point mentioning which ones... ), and in my experience some stuff could really need tightening down on. It's possible for a good editor to find better ways of wording stuff and keeping the meaning in than a lesser one would. But I'm just nit picking now, so no worries. I've seen some bad scanlations in my time..... ugh.

And on sound effects... well I'm sure "fffwahhhoghzthgajothjinosthrgth" is better than a load of Japanese symbols :P
Old 2004-01-14, 23:08   Link #120
Carrackus

Send a message via AIM to Carrackus
WOW! Long thread got through half of it!

The way tokyopo did GTO isn't that bad, I'm hooked on that one.

I see where everyone is getting about TP's Initial D. I just found out how many editing stuffs and tone of the manga was sort of changed in the american release. I knew abuot the name changes already, but i didnt know what anyone was talking about till i got ahold of some volumes.

ADV did a really good job on both Azumanga Daioh and FMP.

my 2 cents
Carrackus is offline   Reply With Quote