AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-11-11, 12:13   Link #161
Tasuke Shichiri
♥Mikuru Asahina♥
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UMATILLA, OREGON
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
If it were true, that would be interesting, but that's not really a factual portrayal of the status of anime in Japan. Apart from Studio Ghibli and various exceptions over the years, most anime produced in Japan either targets the youth market or targets subcultures that are not considered mainstream. Claiming anime is Japan's "preeminent Audio/Visual storytelling medium" is an extreme stretch considering reality.

well, if nothing else, it has certainly been the nation's most creative and sophisticated form of A/V media by far.
further, whether anyone is aware of it or not, Anime, at it's best, has, more often than not,
"out-HOLLYWOODed" TOHO studio's best attempts at a coherent motion picture experience by no mean degree.

sad to say, the Japanese, or, at least TOHO studios, seem to lack the capacity
to produce a live-action film experience that one can actually take more
than half seriously at very best, and Storytelling technique is, IMHO, the prime culprit behind it all...
__________________
♥Mikuru Asahina♥
Tasuke Shichiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 13:32   Link #162
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke Shichiri View Post
sad to say, the Japanese, or, at least TOHO studios, seem to lack the capacity
to produce a live-action film experience that one can actually take more
than half seriously at very best, and Storytelling technique is, IMHO, the prime culprit behind it all...
Why limit yourself to TOHO?A lot of internationally acclaimed japanese live action movies are not from TOHO, I'm no expert but Shochiku
comes to mind.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 21:05   Link #163
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I would say you could make the argument a little more realistically for manga, which has greater reach, wider demographics, and greater influence.
Manga does that in Japan; and mostly because of diversity. In the rest of the world, the popular titles are every bit as niche as anime, and that same diversity doesn't exist. The existence of salaryman or golf manga don't count for anything when we're talking about global reach.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 21:24   Link #164
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

The strength of this influence has fallen off quite a lot, and the places where they were successful are better at it now than Japan is. Anime and manga are distinct exceptions although I think that Korea is catching up strongly.
Are there Korean animation that has the potential to stand toe to toe with today's Japanese anime?
__________________

darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 21:31   Link #165
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 8
No, but Manhwa to Manga may, at least to the older reader.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 21:39   Link #166
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Are there Korean animation that has the potential to stand toe to toe with today's Japanese anime?
In anime, not yet. However, there are more and more shows which are largely made by Korean animators. You can just check the end credits to see just how many Korean names are listed. In particular, I've noted the work of DR Movie in Madhouse productions. But because original anime production takes a lot more infrastructure, it should still take Korea a long time to catch up.

Domestic manga (or manhwa) production is a lot easier, so Korea (and the rest of east Asia) are much closer to Japan here.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 08:40   Link #167
jal90
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
It is a great article but I found a little disagreement about the definition of the terms. That is, if we can accept that the definition of "cartoon" has changed over the years or decades due to the influence of television, it is equally valid to consider "anime" as an equivalent to "Japanese animation" or "animation mostly produced in Japan" according to the usage of the word in the Western context, even if it clashes with its original meaning. And therefore, neither the Japanese guys nor the American otaku were factually wrong if we consider this premise.
jal90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 13:37   Link #168
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jal90 View Post
It is a great article but I found a little disagreement about the definition of the terms. That is, if we can accept that the definition of "cartoon" has changed over the years or decades due to the influence of television, it is equally valid to consider "anime" as an equivalent to "Japanese animation" or "animation mostly produced in Japan" according to the usage of the word in the Western context, even if it clashes with its original meaning. And therefore, neither the Japanese guys nor the American otaku were factually wrong if we consider this premise.
I mostly do it to prevent confusion.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.