AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-07, 03:59   Link #1
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Chkdsk trouble

So my laptop has been telling me to run Chkdsk for a while now. I schedule the task to take place (I've used both the windows interface and the command prompt), but every time I restart my machine windows loads normally and I don't get any signs of chkdsk running. How can I get chkdsk to run properly?

A few details: I'm running Windows Vista. I also have a dual boot system using GRUB, the other OS being Ubuntu 9.04. I don't know whether or not that could be interfering with chkdsk running.

I'm happy to furnish any other details you guys find relevant.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 06:54   Link #2
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Have you tried a boot up the system from the CD drive using the Windows installation disc? That'll allow you to run CHKDSK from there (assuming that the hard drive either uses FAT32 or NTFS).
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 07:00   Link #3
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
So my laptop has been telling me to run Chkdsk for a while now. I schedule the task to take place (I've used both the windows interface and the command prompt), but every time I restart my machine windows loads normally and I don't get any signs of chkdsk running. How can I get chkdsk to run properly?
I have the same problem with my netbook.

Yes, there was an option where we could assign a schedule to do CHKDSK but it still random does the work...

So I use Iorbit's Disk Check to do the extra checking for disk errors when i want it... its free. And it lots of features.. especially my favorite the Disk Defrag...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 10:01   Link #4
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Have you tried a boot up the system from the CD drive using the Windows installation disc? That'll allow you to run CHKDSK from there (assuming that the hard drive either uses FAT32 or NTFS).
If I once had the windows install disk I've long since lost it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I have the same problem with my netbook.

Yes, there was an option where we could assign a schedule to do CHKDSK but it still random does the work...

So I use Iorbit's Disk Check to do the extra checking for disk errors when i want it... its free. And it lots of features.. especially my favorite the Disk Defrag...
Might give that a go.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 10:15   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
I have not looked in a while, but isn't it possible to run chkdsk from the prompt if you boot into Safe Mode? You might check to see whether your Windows installation comes with a utility to burn a replacement disk, too.

It's pretty unlikely your Ubuntu installation affects this at all. Since you have Ubuntu though, you could see if you have the ntfsprogs package installed and use ntfsfix on the Windows partition. Ntfsfix will clean up the stuff it can handle, then mark the partition to tell Windows to run chkdsk against it when you next boot.

9.04 is pretty old. Since it was not a release with "long-term support," it reached end-of-life in October, 2010. Nevertheless there is still an available copy of ntfsprogs that is packaged for 9.04 here. You can download the package from that page (choose the one that matches your architecture), then install it from the command prompt with "sudo dpkg -i ntfsprogs-blahblah.deb". "Blahblah" in your case will probably be "2.0.0-1ubuntu2".

If I were you, I'd get a copy of Kubuntu 12.04.1, the current "long-term" support version and install that. It will be supported until 2017. Kubuntu will look more familiar than the current vanilla Ubuntu releases which use the new "Unity" desktop environment. Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop which has been my favorite for years.
__________________

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-07 at 10:40.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 10:35   Link #6
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have looked in a while, but isn't it possible to run chkdsk from the prompt if you boot into Safe Mode?

It's pretty unlikely your Ubuntu installation affects this at all. Since you have that installation, though you could see if you have the ntfsprogs package installed and use ntfsfix on the Windows partition.

9.04 is pretty old though. It reached end-of-life in October, 2010, but there is still an available copy of ntfsprogs that is packaged for 9.04 here. You can download the packages from that page, then install it from the command prompt with "sudo dpkg -i ntfsprogs-blahblah.deb". "Blahblah" in your case will probably be "2.0.0-1ubuntu2".

If I were you, I'd get a copy of Kubuntu 12.04.1, the current "long-term" support version and install that. It will be supported until 2017. Kubuntu will look more familiar than the current vanilla Ubuntu releases which use the "Unity" desktop environment. It uses the KDE desktop which has been my favorite for years.
I haven't been using my Ubuntu installation for a long time, which is why it hasn't been upgraded. I'm open to upgrading my linux installation, but I have a feeling I should deal with my HDD problems first (I'd want to change my partitions around a bit).

But just to confirm, will using ntfsfix in Ubuntu mean I won't need to run chkdsk? In that case that seems like a good solution.

I did try running chkdsk from the command prompt in Safe Mode, but I still got a message telling me I needed to restart my computer. With the same result.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 10:41   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
But just to confirm, will using ntfsfix in Ubuntu mean I won't need to run chkdsk? In that case that seems like a good solution.
I updated my post while you were replying. Ntfsfix will do what it can to clean up the NTFS partition, then mark it so Windows will run chkdsk against it when you next reboot.

Still I'm surprised Windows is still complaining after you ran chkdsk from Safe Mode. I believe you need to include the "/f" switch to make it "fix" whatever problems it finds. If you don't do that, it will just check the disk but not actually fix any problems it finds. Fixing a mounted filesystem is always a bit tricky. I only ever do things like that when I've booted from a CD or USB drive. But I recall running "chkdsk /f c:" back in the day and it didn't seem to break anything.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 11:23   Link #8
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I updated my post while you were replying. Ntfsfix will do what it can to clean up the NTFS partition, then mark it so Windows will run chkdsk against it when you next reboot.

Still I'm surprised Windows is still complaining after you ran chkdsk from Safe Mode. I believe you need to include the "/f" switch to make it "fix" whatever problems it finds. If you don't do that, it will just check the disk but not actually fix any problems it finds. Fixing a mounted filesystem is always a bit tricky. I only ever do things like that when I've booted from a CD or USB drive. But I recall running "chkdsk /f c:" back in the day and it didn't seem to break anything.
I ran "chkdsk C: /x" (and also /f and /f /x)while I was in safemode. It still asked for a restart, after which nothing happened (no chkdsk ran).

It's not that chkdsk is throwing back errors at me. It's simply not running period. I don't get any of the usual messages you'd expect chkdsk to give. I'm just getting normal startups.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 16:38   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

I did try running chkdsk from the command prompt in Safe Mode, but I still got a message telling me I needed to restart my computer. With the same result.
Interesting.. I encountered this option a lot but never chosen it and goes for the normal mode.. Now I know!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 16:55   Link #10
Random32
Also a Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
If I once had the windows install disk I've long since lost it.
You can create a repair disk from Windows.
-Windows 7 has the feature built in, Start>"Backup and Restore" (search)>Create System Repair Disk (left panel). If someone you know has a Win7 machine, that repair disk should work for your purposes.
-Vista does not have the feature built in as far as I know. They were going to add it in SP1, but didn't, idk if SP2 added it. So, try this http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...very-disc.html
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.