AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-06, 22:26   Link #1561
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
For you guys:
__________________

Deal with it!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 15:31   Link #1562
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Well, I thought this show was a disappointment in the first few episodes, but the show got a bit better in the third arc and the quality massively shot upwards in the final arc. Even without reading the source material, I feel that more could have been shown about the characters, such as the AST, particularly Origami and Mana. Is there really nothing to Origami other than her stalker-like creepy love behaviour and hatred for spirits (Efreet in particular?). Mana was also kind of just there, and although she brought up some interesting points (such as how both real siblings got hazy memories of their past), it never really got developed.

The plot was rushed, until the last two arcs. Although it's probably because they were rushing to Kotori's arc (and I can see why Kurumi's arc would be a bad place to end), I thought that they could have paced it a bit better. Things just moved a bit too quickly, in my opinion.

Fortunately, most of the comedy hit it's mark, so as a love comedy, it was a decent show. I'll definitely look out for season 2.
Series over all thoughts. Trying to be not to be biased over all I think I would give the Series a rating of 75/100 I feel there were some major pacing issues, an over use of some pretty bad "jokes" (Ai, Mai, Mii, I'm looking at you), many of the characters come off as a bit generic with little in the way of motivation.

That being said having read the novels it fails as an adaption. Too many Important parts of the characters backgrounds have been cut such as the talk about Shidou's adoption in volume 1 as it explains the source of his motivation for helping the Spirits, most of the AST parts that show that they know killing a spirit is next to imposable and their job is to do little more then contain them and try to make them leave. The fact that Yoshinon is in fact a second personality that Yoshino made to control her powers because she is afraid of hurting other people. Some of the more odd things about Reine such as her claiming to have not slept for 30 years after eating(yes she chews them) a bottle of "sleeping pills". The full events of Origami's dream of the death of her parents where she see what she believes is the Spirit mocking her as she lies broken looking at the charred remains of her parents.
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 16:12   Link #1563
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Series over all thoughts. Trying to be not to be biased over all I think I would give the Series a rating of 75/100 I feel there were some major pacing issues, an over use of some pretty bad "jokes" (Ai, Mai, Mii, I'm looking at you), many of the characters come off as a bit generic with little in the way of motivation.

That being said having read the novels it fails as an adaption. Too many Important parts of the characters backgrounds have been cut such as the talk about Shidou's adoption in volume 1 as it explains the source of his motivation for helping the Spirits, most of the AST parts that show that they know killing a spirit is next to imposable and their job is to do little more then contain them and try to make them leave. The fact that Yoshinon is in fact a second personality that Yoshino made to control her powers because she is afraid of hurting other people. Some of the more odd things about Reine such as her claiming to have not slept for 30 years after eating(yes she chews them) a bottle of "sleeping pills". The full events of Origami's dream of the death of her parents where she see what she believes is the Spirit mocking her as she lies broken looking at the charred remains of her parents.
While you have a point on the rest of that, the last part about Origami's dream is nitpicking.

The staff was already extremely hard-pressed for time to make it to the end of novel volume 4 (and thus not screw us with a cliffhangar ending >.>) thus why sho much had to be cut out. (though it probably would have helped to not sacrifice important novel material for the anime-original episode 6) The point that Origami hates spirits for killing her parents was well-enough made and didn't need the elaboration (and thus wasting of time for material) of the spirit seemingly mocking her about it.
And leaving out the thing about Reine and her sleep-deprivation, while it would more-definitively explain something to the viewers, seems rather insignificant compared to the more-important stuff that got left out like Shidou's adoption.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 17:28   Link #1564
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
For you guys:
NSFW worthy? XD
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 18:15   Link #1565
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
While you have a point on the rest of that, the last part about Origami's dream is nitpicking.

The staff was already extremely hard-pressed for time to make it to the end of novel volume 4 (and thus not screw us with a cliffhangar ending >.>) thus why sho much had to be cut out. (though it probably would have helped to not sacrifice important novel material for the anime-original episode 6) The point that Origami hates spirits for killing her parents was well-enough made and didn't need the elaboration (and thus wasting of time for material) of the spirit seemingly mocking her about it.
And leaving out the thing about Reine and her sleep-deprivation, while it would more-definitively explain something to the viewers, seems rather insignificant compared to the more-important stuff that got left out like Shidou's adoption.
I might concede you have a point had the ep that it was shown in not had yet another unneeded Ai,Mai,Mii joke that cover the same time it would take to you know show the dream even the condensed version of it in the BD would have been ok IMO but the aired version fails to convey just how traumatic it was for her and shows they were personally killed by a spirit and were not just collateral damages of the fire it caused some what justifying her views.

As for Reine it's not the sleep deprivation that is important but how it started 30 years ago(you know when the first space quake hit) and is one of a string of things that point to her not being quite normal since eating a whole bottle of sleeping pills should kill a person, just like her tea with enough sugar in it to put someone in a diabetic coma (which they did show)
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 18:33   Link #1566
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
I might concede you have a point had the ep that it was shown in not had yet another unneeded Ai,Mai,Mii joke that cover the same time it would take to you know show the dream even the condensed version of it in the BD would have been ok IMO but the aired version fails to convey just how traumatic it was for her and shows they were personally killed by a spirit and were not just collateral damages of the fire it caused some what justifying her views.
Still a bit of nitpicking there. They didn't need to elaborate more on how traumatic it was, so this boils down to "which do you like and which do you hate; jokes or trauma" thing rather than a failure on part of the staff.

Quote:
As for Reine it's not the sleep deprivation that is important but how it started 30 years ago(you know when the first space quake hit) and is one of a string of things that point to her not being quite normal since eating a whole bottle of sleeping pills should kill a person, just like her tea with enough sugar in it to put someone in a diabetic coma (which they did show)
It sounds like you're assuming that all that actually means something plot-wise, but these look like simple quirks of her character. If they have any plot-relevance or character plot-relevance, they can always point them out later. But covering the pills thing would only have served to eat up more of the extremely limited time the staff had to cover other things.

Of course, we're all assuming that certain points like Shidou's adoption weren't intentionally left out so that they could be delivered in a more emotionally/dramatic way some time in season 2. After all, it seems like they were planning on making a season 2 right from the beginning. (they certainly didn't wait to see how the BD/DVD sales did) So I'd wait on majorly judging the material placement/inclusion until we see the "whole" thing. (which is another reason why I don't believe in the three-episode rule)
__________________

Last edited by Shinji103; 2013-07-07 at 18:46.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 04:24   Link #1567
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
New post for week-long space.

For those who didn't see it in the novel thread (or intentionally avoid the novel thread to avoid spoilers), we finally have somebody posting Newtype magazine's popularity polls (link courtesy of cloud04):

http://seventhstyle.com/2013/07/13/d...larity-charts/

Nice to see that DAL's popularity continues across the board in Japan.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 05:37   Link #1568
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
As I see it, the anime is trying to do too many things at once, and it never fully address the basic premise of the show.

It's like watching an alien invasion movie and it never talked about why the aliens are so interested in Earth. What exactly happened 30 years ago? Why are the Spirits there in the anime? Where did they come from? What are their purpose? The anime introduced the concept that spirits would cause a spacequake when they arrive, yet it completely ignored that whenever the anime like. Who oversees Kotori? Who oversees the AST military people? I dunno. I had all these questions during the early parts of the anime and thought the anime would gradually explain things. Maybe I was expecting too much.

It all just seems like a cover for a harem anime and all I got from it is "Shidou is a Spirit magnet". Even Infinite Stratos, being a generic harem anime with mecha suits, felt more satisfying.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 10:46   Link #1569
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
As I see it, the anime is trying to do too many things at once, and it never fully address the basic premise of the show.

It's like watching an alien invasion movie and it never talked about why the aliens are so interested in Earth. What exactly happened 30 years ago? Why are the Spirits there in the anime? Where did they come from? What are their purpose? The anime introduced the concept that spirits would cause a spacequake when they arrive, yet it completely ignored that whenever the anime like. Who oversees Kotori? Who oversees the AST military people? I dunno. I had all these questions during the early parts of the anime and thought the anime would gradually explain things. Maybe I was expecting too much.
You are expecting too much. Way too much.

The base materials, the novels, aren't finished yet. They don't even look to be done anytime soon. (there are at least two more volumes coming out) So of course there will still be questions in the anime; the story isn't done even in the novels. (though some of your questions have been answered in the novels)

Of course, the fact that there's a second season on the way should have told you that.

What kind of story answers all the questions and mysteries before even the halfway point?
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 22:13   Link #1570
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24



Where is Origami?
__________________

Deal with it!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 23:27   Link #1571
XFire
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In between the Light and Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post



Where is Origami?
In Shidou's bathro..... Nowhere, why do you ask?
__________________
XFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 22:18   Link #1572
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
It seems the official fanbook will feature:
Spoiler for space:


and more.
__________________

Deal with it!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 00:46   Link #1573
Mystic_Vegetto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Is that the book that comes out at the end of this month?
__________________
Mystic_Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 09:41   Link #1574
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
One week to go before the release of BD/DVD volume 2.

Honestly, I expected sales to dip a bit since volume 2 isn't supposed to have Director's Cut bonus scenes, but Ami Ami is sold out of pre-orders for all versions of volume 2.

EDIT: Actually, CD Japan says volume 2 has the "uncut version" of episode 3.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 16:05   Link #1575
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
One week to go before the release of BD/DVD volume 2.

Honestly, I expected sales to dip a bit since volume 2 isn't supposed to have Director's Cut bonus scenes, but Ami Ami is sold out of pre-orders for all versions of volume 2.

EDIT: Actually, CD Japan says volume 2 has the "uncut version" of episode 3.
Just as planned.
__________________

Deal with it!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 11:38   Link #1576
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Just as planned.
Could you plan all of this a bit faster please? I'm waiting.

Endless "Impatient" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 17:03   Link #1577
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Could you plan all of this a bit faster please? I'm waiting.

Endless "Impatient" Soul
I said long time ago each volume will include DC for each episode/arc, some dissmised it sayin it only will be only the first two episodes. Now, blogs from Japan are confirming my obvious guess.
__________________

Deal with it!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 01:41   Link #1578
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Spoiler for Scene added to episode 3:
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 08:46   Link #1579
Yoxall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
The long awaited Kurumi and Kotori dakimakuras are coming soon!!

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

imo Black Dress Kurumi > Gothic Lolita Kurumi. And dat Kotori pantsu.
__________________
Avatar made by Kaigan and Signature made by Rikikai

Last edited by Yoxall; 2013-07-29 at 20:50.
Yoxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 08:49   Link #1580
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ente Isla
*nosebleed

^and then they decide to make a threesome with shidou
__________________
Friendship and Rivalry. These two have it
Bakaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, harem, romance, sci-fi, tsundere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.