AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-20, 23:20   Link #1261
sasuke706
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Why do you want two different translators to translate the same volume...? I believe Mizuho already stated it'd pretty much only be vol.6 and onward, and apparently there's already a good chunk of vol.6 translated/being translated and edited.

I personally prefer to read a volume of a novel translated by the same person rather than any mash-ups as well.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 00:08   Link #1262
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amnesia: Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
Why do you want two different translators to translate the same volume...? I believe Mizuho already stated it'd pretty much only be vol.6 and onward, and apparently there's already a good chunk of vol.6 translated/being translated and edited.

I personally prefer to read a volume of a novel translated by the same person rather than any mash-ups as well.
Okay, to clear something up the final one is Xena work. The reason for 2 translators is to improve the accuaracy since not everyone is perfect. Also it is your choice to read it or not since it is your life not mine.
__________________
Patron God of NTRed

Last edited by cramped; 2013-03-21 at 00:48.
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 00:12   Link #1263
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atop a hill of words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
Why do you want two different translators to translate the same volume...? I believe Mizuho already stated it'd pretty much only be vol.6 and onward, and apparently there's already a good chunk of vol.6 translated/being translated and edited.

I personally prefer to read a volume of a novel translated by the same person rather than any mash-ups as well.
It's kind of like why there are multiple translations for the Bible, the Vedas, Friedrich Nietzsche and Maxim Gorky. Different translators may have a different focus in their translation, hence causing slight differences from translation to translation.

Just take the example of cramped/Xena: cramped is more literal, he just translates what's on the page. That's a good foil to my style, where I just take in entire paragraphs at a time and start rearranging them so they don't read like a 3-year-old's Lego fiasco. Which is why he starts first, and then I edit - the core meaning is established first, and then we work with that so it sounds okay.

This isn't necessarily bad - different perspectives do give way to new knowledge. In our case it's actually critical. Without cramped to stop me going wild you'd be wondering who actually wrote the story four paragraphs in.

It only really gets shitty when people starting swinging their literary schlongs about and start going "my translation is better than your translation" like two kids who never grew out of their blind-father-worship phase.
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 00:22   Link #1264
sasuke706
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramped View Post
Okay, to clear something up the final one is Xena wok. The reason for 2 translator is to improve the accuaracy since not everyoe is perfect. Also it is your choice to read it or not since it is your life not mine.
Two translators working on the same product isn't the issue. Working together helps get more ideas across in how to better word a sentence, phrase terminology, among other things. I meant two translations completely independent of each other, which would be inconsistent in the above areas. My issue was the whole 'two people have shown interest in translating the novels together but let's go vote to get a third independent translator as well xD'. I believe Mizuho's even shown disinterest in novels being translated, which raises further question if anything. I personally get disinterested in translating anything myself whenever there's competition to translate something or if it's already translated decently.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 01:09   Link #1265
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atop a hill of words.
Hoo-ah there, soldiers. Chill heads, please.

I can see where you're coming from. I think what we (me and cramped) both meant to say was that we didn't mind this -uh, competition? Should I even be calling it that?- thing.

For myself, I stick by the idea that different translators can bring out different parts of the story.

But I can see why that request to join the poll came off as awkward - admittedly I had to intentionally not think of it that way.

Okay, case closed.
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 02:52   Link #1266
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: (◣_◢)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
Two translators working on the same product isn't the issue. Working together helps get more ideas across in how to better word a sentence, phrase terminology, among other things. I meant two translations completely independent of each other, which would be inconsistent in the above areas. My issue was the whole 'two people have shown interest in translating the novels together but let's go vote to get a third independent translator as well xD'. I believe Mizuho's even shown disinterest in novels being translated, which raises further question if anything. I personally get disinterested in translating anything myself whenever there's competition to translate something or if it's already translated decently.
Keyword personally. ITS YOU NOT THEM. Please stop being a dick. This is why translators leave. This is why translators don't appear. Its people like you that ruin it for the rest of us.
__________________
Drkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:22   Link #1267
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 大陸の片隅
Good luck to those concerned. If it helps, Asvarre's naming theme sounds British-inspired (Guinevere was a dead giveaway).
__________________
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:28   Link #1268
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amnesia: Thailand
That one is not much a problem though, but the ones that need attention is the Zhcted and Brune's since it seems like the author throw in about 2-3 nationalities in there. Anyway thanks for the concerns!!!!

OK for the 2 post above, CASE is CLOSED!!!!!!!!! no more drama, but if there is one I will embrace it with open arms since I love dramas lol!!!!!!!
__________________
Patron God of NTRed

Last edited by cramped; 2013-03-21 at 03:30. Reason: Amnesia
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:30   Link #1269
sasuke706
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Keyword personally. ITS YOU NOT THEM. Please stop being a dick. This is why translators leave. This is why translators don't appear. Its people like you that ruin it for the rest of us.
I wasn't trying to be a dick (guess it's hard to tell since I have a no-emoticon policy), just honestly curious why it was brought up literally right after a progress update. I don't think I was particularly rude to either translator (can't say I wasn't to Fenrisulfr though), and I apologize if I came off offensive to either of them. Just seemed a wee bit rude to me how it was worded and timed. If they're fine with it, it's all good and dandy; it's not like I won't to encourage them. Everyone has their own motivations for translating, after all. But yeah, like Xena said, there's not really much left to discuss about this. To provide a (hopefully) final closure to this, if you have further issue with what I said, PM me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramped View Post
That one is not much a problem though, but the ones that need attention is the Zhcted and Brune's since it seems like the author throw in about 2-3 nationalities in there.
Too true. I have hard times finding the origins for some of his names. Like ジスタート is never something I would have spelled as Zhcted if not for the author being kind enough to throw a bone.

Last edited by sasuke706; 2013-03-21 at 03:42. Reason: adding reply
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:33   Link #1270
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 大陸の片隅
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramped View Post
That one is not much a problem though, but the ones that need attention is the Zhcted and Brune's since it seems like the author throw in about 2-3 nationalities in there. Anyway thanks for the concerns!!!!
The pain is understandable. But, if you think that's bad, you don't want to run into his other works. The nationalities involved in those are horribly vague at best. So...I guess that's one way of counting yourselves lucky?

There are some name etymology dictionaries or something of the sort available online; again, if it helps any, those might be useful. I got the name 'Lyudmila' off of one of those things, which turned out to be the right name for Mila. Just a suggestion you are free to do with as you please.

Good luck and godspeed! I know a lot of people are looking forward to both your efforts, but don't let the pressure overwhelm the task at hand.
__________________
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 05:43   Link #1271
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atop a hill of words.
Hahaha! Some pressure is good, without any someone with my kind of personality would still be on his butt somewhere still grinning stupidly at his CH translations!

And if you're the same Hemisphere I think you are, boy do you sound different here XD
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 10:03   Link #1272
Fenrisulfr
The Hobo Swordsman
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
@sasuke, Whoa I didn't think it would become such a big deal, also I didn't hear mizuho say that, sorry -_-. Well I figured Xena was only doing vol6 so mizuho could the rest unless they were permanently translating the whole series, either way I should also apologize to xena and cram, gomen OTL. Btw sasuke about reading everything by one translator, I also think that is much better, but vol 1-5 were machine translated by a different person. Now that I think about it, it's also weird people want eden translated by mizuho when it's already being translated...anyways sorry to anyone I may have unintentionally offended, I was just excited that mizuho might pick it up, he's an awesome translator. -fen
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 10:42   Link #1273
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 大陸の片隅
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenahortCharybdis View Post
Hahaha! Some pressure is good, without any someone with my kind of personality would still be on his butt somewhere still grinning stupidly at his CH translations!

And if you're the same Hemisphere I think you are, boy do you sound different here XD
I suppose that's a nice way to get motivation going. It's also a great way to challenge yourself and build up your skills, definitely. On the flip side, though, begging for translations, when done too much, might bog down motivation for those concerned. So hopefully that doesn't happen.

I just remembered it right now, but since you guys are just in Chapter 2, it would probably be a moot point to bring up. But I also wish you guys luck with the weapon names, along with the names of food and other such "miscellaneous" terms used (I'm actually hoping that you guys discuss the author's fervent use of names and terminologies in some manner in your translation complaints mentioned earlier, because I think it's worth some degree of discussion at the least). How you guys are going to translate "that ship"'s name has me intrigued, though, since that one is in Chapter 2 if I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
@sasuke, Whoa I didn't think it would become such a big deal, also I didn't hear mizuho say that, sorry -_-. Well I figured Xena was only doing vol6 so mizuho could the rest unless they were permanently translating the whole series, either way I should also apologize to xena and cram, gomen OTL. Btw sasuke about reading everything by one translator, I also think that is much better, but vol 1-5 were machine translated by a different person. Now that I think about it, it's also weird people want eden translated by mizuho when it's already being translated...anyways sorry to anyone I may have unintentionally offended, I was just excited that mizuho might pick it up, he's an awesome translator. -fen
Well, excitement can get to us all, and can get us carried away sometimes. Hoo boy, I can attest to that myself. The goodwill and intention were sincere though, so if anything, don't berate yourself too hard.
__________________
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 11:10   Link #1274
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amnesia: Thailand
Mwahahaha, I finished rawing ch.1 now I will enter a dormant state for a while.
Plus; Mommy Limlishia why a bear plushy for a charm of all things!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't get what are you intending to do at all!!!!!!
__________________
Patron God of NTRed

Last edited by cramped; 2013-03-21 at 11:18. Reason: laughing my arse off
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 11:34   Link #1275
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atop a hill of words.
And I'm still stuck at Pg7/11. It's a store and more!

Hang in there guys...

Trust me, Hemisphere we have complaints on lots of aspects of the writing now that we're actually going through it. For all you know the complaints section might end up as long as the chapter!

Kidding, but you get the idea...
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 20:11   Link #1276
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Anyone still want me to provide chronological scripting of the events? Or will they wait for Xenahort/Cramped translation?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 01:46   Link #1277
Shinon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kuou Academy
^ i dont mind
__________________
Shinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 05:29   Link #1278
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amnesia: Thailand
Hmm, archmage you read from the CH one right? If so have you encountered one that is over ch.2 of vol.6? Pray enlighten me then. XD
__________________
Patron God of NTRed
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 11:48   Link #1279
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramped View Post
Hmm, archmage you read from the CH one right? If so have you encountered one that is over ch.2 of vol.6? Pray enlighten me then. XD
There is a guy translating V3, but I haven't looked if it is finished yet.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 18:13   Link #1280
Athena
The Power of One
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
Hey guys a translator named mizuho/sinemerald on sakurahonyaku wordpress is having a poll on what to translate next and madan ou is one of them, it's a close tie between madan and eden so if anyone loves this series and have some free time then join the poll xD
This thing is basically about who spams the most. I stopped following the count.

And I start to wonder whether Zhcted was invented as the author smashed his hand on the keyboard. Seriously, how the hell do you manage to think of a name like that. =_=
__________________
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.