AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-16, 14:19   Link #201
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It wasn't just the death game, though, remember? Kirito had to remind Klein back in the first episode, before the death game became apparent, that enemy attacks didn't actually hurt.
Never said that the VR tech doesn't look realistic, and being the first of its kind means that nobody has seen anything like it before, Klein's reaction is completely normal.

That said, that's hardly the same as being so realistic that it rivals real life.

Quote:
And then there were the more comical aspects, like when Asuna walloped Kirito for groping her. He wasn't taking any actual damage there, but he certainly looked like that he felt that blow.
I chalk that one up to artistic license, one which was taken quite a few times in the anime.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 01:21   Link #202
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Moving this from the image thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
I would have to disagree, but my knowledge only stems from SAO-Anime version.

From what I recall from Episode 1 or 2 was it, they said that the machine analyzed their "body" when they first made an account to play. Thus, this would suggest that even if 10 years pass, they would still look like what they looked like 10 years ago when the machine first analyzed their bodies.

The only thing that I would deem possible is if they programmed an auto-aging tool that uses your base figure as a starting point, and applies some kind of algorithm to age you in-game.
Well, MY point was that in the two years they were logged in, due to the circumstances their malnutrition and their atrophy would prevent their bodies from growing/changing much, if at all, so as far as this topic goes (whether Asuna's measurements in-game match her real-life measurements) their in-game avatars are still the same/very similar to their real life bodies, so there isn't any real need for the technology to apply such an algorithm.

Though it really wouldn't surprise me if Kayaba programmed something like that in there...
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 01:36   Link #203
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Best Place In The WORLD
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Moving this from the image thread...



Well, MY point was that in the two years they were logged in, due to the circumstances their malnutrition and their atrophy would prevent their bodies from growing/changing much, if at all, so as far as this topic goes (whether Asuna's measurements in-game match her real-life measurements) their in-game avatars are still the same/very similar to their real life bodies, so there isn't any real need for the technology to apply such an algorithm.

Though it really wouldn't surprise me if Kayaba programmed something like that in there...
I think we were just looking at the problem from different angles. I was more so referring to his comment about whether or not your in-game avatar would match your real life body as it aged, and in this case, it would not. Your point is simply that they're pretty close as of right now due to extenuating circumstances. So we're just talking about two different things. However to expand upon this:

My perspective was simply from that of a programmer who would have programmed the game (not knowing that people would be trapped, etc.).

A few things to consider:
Programmers probably didn't program that in because people would be allowed to CHOOSE their own appearance in game. Now, the only way they would be asked to program an aging algorithm is if at the time of "choosing" your appearance in game, you had to choose an "age" to represent yourself as well, such that as you "grow older", whether that be in real life terms or -virtual game- terms, your stats would "mature" in some form or another. Otherwise, your in-game appearance would simply just be what you chose it to be when you first made your avatar.

Programmers didn't know people would be trapped, or that their REAL appearances would be forced on display. As such, the only way they would spend time programming such an aging algorithm is if there was an in-game mechanic related to aging...or if Kayaba secretly implemented it himself for pure shits and giggles. [Why did you do that Kayaba? I don't know, I can't seem to remember].
__________________
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 09:32   Link #204
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
I think we were just looking at the problem from different angles. I was more so referring to his comment about whether or not your in-game avatar would match your real life body as it aged, and in this case, it would not.
The SAO story arc of the anime itself answered the question as to whether their in-game appearance would match any real life aging. It doesn't. We know this because Kirito's hair was long when he removed the helmut after waking up but moments earlier during his final seconds in-game, it was still the original shorter length.

I apologize for jumping into your conversation like this. But I thought I'd remind you of something you two might have forgotten.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 13:35   Link #205
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Best Place In The WORLD
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The SAO story arc of the anime itself answered the question as to whether their in-game appearance would match any real life aging. It doesn't. We know this because Kirito's hair was long when he removed the helmut after waking up but moments earlier during his final seconds in-game, it was still the original shorter length.

I apologize for jumping into your conversation like this. But I thought I'd remind you of something you two might have forgotten.
No worries, it's fine if you want to chime in, though I don't exactly want to be rude, but could you maybe take a look at our posts again before jumping the gun . Reason being, I already said what you stated, and I was talking about a different point/we were discussing a different aspect.

But yeah, no worries man, it's a discussion forum, so all discussion is welcome! Just please read a little bit more next time to factor in our points, thanks :].

edit:
Oh and Happy Belated Birthday!
__________________
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 16:26   Link #206
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
No worries, it's fine if you want to chime in, though I don't exactly want to be rude, but could you maybe take a look at our posts again before jumping the gun . Reason being, I already said what you stated, and I was talking about a different point/we were discussing a different aspect.

But yeah, no worries man, it's a discussion forum, so all discussion is welcome! Just please read a little bit more next time to factor in our points, thanks :].

edit:
Oh and Happy Belated Birthday!
Sorry about that. I had followed your posts in the episode thread before the subject was moved over here. I guessed I forgot some of what you discussed in there when I jumped over. My apologies. No harm intended. Hopefully none done either.

Thank you for the belated birthday wish!
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 11:55   Link #207
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Just tossing this out there.

We know that after the SAO incident none of the actual player killer ever faced justice with the government virtually glossing over it and pushed all legal responsibility of the entire thing onto Kayaba the original creator that trapped everyone in that situation.

However Death Gun doesn't have that excuse now so the question still remains If it's proven that Death Gun is somehow killing people in real life via a VRMMO can he be brought up on charges?

Would new laws have to be written for his crimes since he isn't even in the same room as his victims?
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 12:10   Link #208
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Just tossing this out there.

We know that after the SAO incident none of the actual player killer ever faced justice with the government virtually glossing over it and pushed all legal responsibility of the entire thing onto Kayaba the original creator that trapped everyone in that situation.

However Death Gun doesn't have that excuse now so the question still remains If it's proven that Death Gun is somehow killing people in real life via a VRMMO can he be brought up on charges?

Would new laws have to be written for his crimes since he isn't even in the same room as his victims?
I think that if it's proven that he willingly caused the deaths of those people they could prosecute him without any changes in existing laws.

Whatever he is doing it interferes directly with the player, he's not simply killing a character on screen. In fact he isn't killing characters at all. He wasn't even near Zexceed when he died.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 12:14   Link #209
DMurphy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post

However Death Gun doesn't have that excuse now so the question still remains If it's proven that Death Gun is somehow killing people in real life via a VRMMO can he be brought up on charges?

Would new laws have to be written for his crimes since he isn't even in the same room as his victims?
I'd watch an anime about the prosecution team working on that case, tbh.

I don't think new laws would have to be written, because there's already provisions in the law for murders committed without the murderer's presence: By poison, for example, or by disease, or by assassin.

The biggest barrier would probably be that a defence team might push for a jury (or lay judge line-up, since this is Japan) of older, less technologically savvy people, so that they could essentially manipulate the jury along the lines of 'well, who could expect this to happen? Nobody, that is who. It is a mystery. A terrible mystery. So mysterious' while the prosecution is essentially fighting against the jury's biases.

... Which, tbf, is something done a lot in trials anyway, especially trials with a large media presence, because the larger a media presence of a trial, the more a defence team can shove and whine to try to get an 'unbiased' jury, which almost always means a jury which is biased in favour of the defendant. N-not that I'm thinking of a specific trial or anything.
__________________
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 07:09   Link #210
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
I think the main problem with the SAO PK is that they (and everyone inside the game) had basically no way to obtain tangible proof that killing someone in game would kill them IRL. For all they knew Kayaba could have just told them a lie to scare them.

If prosecuted they could tell that they didn't believe people were dying IRL and there wouldn't be any way to prove the opposite.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 01:14   Link #211
snivell
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
They technically didn't kill anyone, you did killed their character inside of a virtual world causing them to die. Causing no laws to come into play. I'm not sure if it would work that way but its my best guess.
__________________
I animate, draw, watch anime, and other nerdy stuff.
snivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 05:02   Link #212
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by snivell View Post
They technically didn't kill anyone, you did killed their character inside of a virtual world causing them to die. Causing no laws to come into play. I'm not sure if it would work that way but its my best guess.
That's like saying "they didn't kill anyone, they just pulled a trigger..." The difference is, we know how guns work. And more importantly, that they work at all.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.