AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-08, 21:28   Link #61
Key Board
Donut

^ But it does have familiar elements.
it, does, but I don't think it has enough

Konami approves of the direction MercurySteam has taken, and Konami says it's Castlevania. It doesn't get any more clear than that.
Video game companies have a history of doing that. They are not always right.

Lords of Shadow plays nothing like Gears of War.
It plays like Rygar

You might as well complain why you have to fight skeletons over and over again in the previous titles.
I would rather fight skeletons over and over again.. at least there's more variety in their behavior.. and familiarity
Old 2013-06-08, 21:39   Link #62
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
It plays like Rygar

You might as well complain why you have to fight skeletons over and over again in the previous titles.
I would rather fight skeletons over and over again.. at least there's more variety in their behavior.. and familiarity
No, it plays like the classic Castlevania titles, which served as the inspiration. The only difference is that it's in a 3D environment and the combat system has much more depth.

Variety in behavior? Lords of Shadow has the most variety in enemy attacks and in terms of combat. This is not even up for debate.
Old 2013-06-08, 21:41   Link #63
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Quote:
it, does, but I don't think it has enough
Let's see we got Alucard, Trevor Belmont, Simon belmont, we got gothic castles and architectures and it had some of the classic castlevania enemies such as zombies, the butchers, werewolves and vampires.

Quote:

It plays like Rygar
Yeah, no. Like blackbeard says, it plays like the old classicvanias and we got castlevania 64 and lament of innocence to prove that lords of shadow's combat is not a copy cat of God of war.

Quote:
LOL! Many of lords of shadow's enemies had variety and different behavior especially in paladin mode. Also each enemy had different strengths and weaknesses you need to know like old castlevania games in order to easily beat them. Also, Lords of shadow's combat allows freedom and complex enough like those in darksiders and a devil may cry game.
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 21:56   Link #64
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow a reboot done right.

Finally get to play as Dracula with all his badass powers

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-06-08, 21:56   Link #65
Key Board
Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
No, it plays like the classic Castlevania titles, which served as the inspiration. The only difference is that it's in a 3D environment and the combat system has much more depth.

Variety in behavior? Lords of Shadow has the most variety in enemy attacks and in terms of combat. This is not even up for debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
Let's see we got Alucard, Trevor Belmont, Simon belmont, we got gothic castles and architectures and it had some of the classic castlevania enemies such as zombies, the butchers, werewolves and vampires.

Yeah, no. Like blackbeard says, it plays like the old classicvanias and we got castlevania 64 and lament of innocence to prove that lords of shadow's combat is not a copy cat of God of war.

LOL! Many of lords of shadow's enemies had variety and different behavior especially in paladin mode. Also each enemy had different strengths and weaknesses you need to know like old castlevania games in order to easily beat them. Also, Lords of shadow's combat allows freedom and complex enough like those in darksiders and a devil may cry game.

Exactly... it doesn't play like the old N64 games, It plays like Rygar

by variety I mean a skeleton that jumps around, a skeleton that fences, a skeleton that serves curry, a skeleton that thinks its the masked rider

finally.. remember that my complaints were directing against the 1st Lord of Shadows. Not Mirror of Fate. Mirror fate was a step in the right direction as far as homages go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

I hope he has the classic hellfire and teleporting special move.
Old 2013-06-08, 22:06   Link #66
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Exactly... it doesn't play like the old N64 games, It plays like Rygar

by variety I mean a skeleton that jumps around, a skeleton that fences, a skeleton that serves curry, a skeleton that thinks its the masked rider

finally.. remember that my complaints were directing against the 1st Lord of Shadows. Not Mirror of Fate. Mirror fate was a step in the right direction as far as homages go.
You misunderstood Vladrave. He's saying that Lords of Shadow didn't copy God of War's gameplay style. In a 3D setting, it plays very much like Lament of Innocence of CV 64, which came before God of War. Your Rygar claim is unfounded and baseless.

Those are different skeletons you speak of. And Lords of Shadow has those variations as well.

Mirror of Fate plays very much like Lords of Shadow 1, except it's on a 2D plane.
Old 2013-06-08, 22:27   Link #67
Key Board
Donut

ok.. look..

I've played lament of the Innocent. I've played C64. It reminds me more of Rygar. Just Youtube Rygar Legendary Adventure or Rygar Muscle Impact.

If you still don't agree? fine.. we shall agree to disagree

I've never played Gears of War, but I know it was a third person shooter.
I've rented God of War once and it was a nice game. Did compare Lord of Shadows to God of War? ::checks::.. no, but I guess that would be the first thing that comes to a person's mind nowadays. (note: I think Lord of Shadows could benefit from faster pace combat like God of War or Ninja Gaiden)

Also.. I have to stress something in case someone misunderstands. Being similar to another game is not necessarily a terrible thing. You have to start somewhere. What I hope is they develop their own soul afterwards. (just keep the outwards castlevania flavor)

Finally.. as i said, I think Mirror of Fate is a good step forward concerning homages.

But it really plays awkward in 2D
Old 2013-06-08, 22:35   Link #68
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I've rented God of War once and it was a nice game. Did compare Lord of Shadows to God of War? ::checks::.. no, but I guess that would be the first thing that comes to a person's mind nowadays. (note: I think Lord of Shadows could benefit from faster pace combat like God of War or Ninja Gaiden)

Also.. I have to stress something in case someone misunderstands. Being similar to another game is not necessarily a terrible thing. You have to start somewhere. What I hope is they develop their own soul afterwards. (just keep the outwards castlevania flavor)
The God of War comparison was more to show that Lords of Shadow didn't copy anything. Castlevania has been around since 1986, and Lords of Shadow paid tribute to the games that stemmed from that era.
Old 2013-06-08, 23:06   Link #69
amaterasu4
I'll be a fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

Yes this is definitely a reboot that got it right unlike... that game with Donte the Demon Killer... ugh
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 23:07   Link #70
Key Board
Donut

I admit that I've said things that have derailed my own points into something unrelated

what I should have said is this:

I want more castlevania homages
I like what Mirror of Fate did. It brought back belmonts, more traditional sub weapons, more traditional enemies, and castle exploration.

and then I should have stopped. But I didn't.
Old 2013-06-08, 23:16   Link #71
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I like what Mirror of Fate did. It brought back belmonts, more traditional sub weapons, more traditional enemies, and castle exploration.
Lords of Shadow had a belmont - it was Gabriel Belmont, who is now Dracula in this game. It also had the holy water and daggers as classic sub weapons to use. And of course the castle was a big part of the game's chapter progression.
Old 2013-06-09, 01:01   Link #72
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I haven't played the first LoS yet. How good is it?
Old 2013-06-09, 01:18   Link #73
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
It would be better if you would decide for yourself
Old 2013-06-09, 01:21   Link #74
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
It would be better if you would decide for yourself
Well then, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go look up prices!
Old 2013-06-09, 01:51   Link #75
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

There is always rentals lol
Old 2013-06-09, 01:56   Link #76
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Unfortunately Blockbuster is pretty much dead in my part of NC. Gamefly is an option. Maybe the demo is still on PSN?
Old 2013-06-09, 03:17   Link #77
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

I dunno. But the game is only 20 bucks now when i checked out Amazon. I don't think it's a bad price right now considering the game is 20 hours long for a Hack n' slash game.

To be honest, it would be best if you would wait for the Ultimate edition and play it on your PC:
Old 2013-06-09, 06:57   Link #78
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Is there anything that would indicate Alucard as a playable character? That would be so awesome. Imagine flashing over the streets in wolf form. Maybe Mercurysteam are going to pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 on us, but I doubt it. The most likely thing to happen in that regard is probably to have Alucard as unlockable character once you beat the game.
Old 2013-06-09, 08:28   Link #79
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
It's definitely worth checking out. And as said already, you can find it cheap now. Good bang for your buck is the incentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Is there anything that would indicate Alucard as a playable character? That would be so awesome. Imagine flashing over the streets in wolf form. Maybe Mercurysteam are going to pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 on us, but I doubt it. The most likely thing to happen in that regard is probably to have Alucard as unlockable character once you beat the game.
Dracula will be the only playable character throughout the campaign. At best, Alucard will be an unlockable character after beating the game. This is Dracula's story, and thus they really wanted to concentrate on him and his closure.
Old 2013-06-09, 08:55   Link #80
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
The thing is, I don't really see the point in concentrating on the closure of Dracula, if this Dracula is one in a different dimension. I mean, the LOS saga doesn't play in the same universe as the previous Castlevania games. So essentially, they are introducing a new character and try to hype the fact that this is going to be the last chapter in his story, when really, it's the only one we'll see.

Spoiler for Lords of Shadow 1:

Maybe there was more about Dracula in Mirror of Fate, but I haven't played that one and doubt many people have.