AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-04-11, 15:25   Link #1
Zem

Question how to "salvage" an incomplete download

Hi

i have some incomplete torrent downloads, that will most likely never complete:

Since I use incremental file creation, all the blocks are in a random order in the files, so the files are unreadable for most purposes

Is there a tool that will reorder all these chunks and fill the missing parts with zeros?

For a batch download, several files could be rescued completely this way. For a video or audio file, I could at least watch part of it.

I tried opening the download in azureus, which by default uses non-incremental file creation, but later learned that azureus simply ignores blocks that are in the wrong order. So the only result was that some blocks got overwritten, and the file size increased

The only other way I could think of that might work would be to make a private tracker, change the torrent to use that tracker, share the incomplete download in that tracker and download it with another client that has incremental file creation dissabled.

Is there an easier way to do this?

thanks for any help
Zem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 15:50   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

What client did you start the download with? BitTornado provides a "Finish Allocation" button to let you re-order and pad the file so it is in the correct order and size. However I don't know if it can pick up a download started with another client as I have no idea how it tracks where the pieces are downloaded to.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 16:51   Link #3
Zem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
What client did you start the download with? BitTornado provides a "Finish Allocation" button to let you re-order and pad the file so it is in the correct order and size. However I don't know if it can pick up a download started with another client as I have no idea how it tracks where the pieces are downloaded to.

Ah, so thats what this Button does!
I started the download with abc, which has this button too, but it did not seem to do anything when I tried it. I will try again, or try switching clients.

Sorry for asking such a simple question, would probably have been better in the "download problems" forum but i thought i would need an extra tool for this
Zem is offline   Reply With Quote