AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-02-06, 18:44   Link #2101
Raine721
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I don't see her pairing in shows surprising either, it depends on how you view their interactions in different situations. People will interpret it differently and for me, they give me a certain hunch/intuition whenever they interact. I guess you just need to look at it how it already is instead of trying to twist everything around to curb your interest. It's easier to accept and move on in the end. I'm glad that each episodes give us a little surprise at the end to keep us interested.
Raine721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 18:59   Link #2102
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Around episode 4 and 5, Chisaki was obviously bonding with Tsumugu while Manaka wasn't as invested in a mutual sense, getting offended with him (i.e. tsundere) while she had zero regard for Kaname. The 'pairings' aren't just pull out nowhere based on twists, there're good reasons for the characters to grow into that direction. ManakaxHikari was obvious to me, not denying Chisaki and Manaka had crushes, but those were more narrative hurdles for them to notice who they are better with. Kaname's Nice Guy attitude ruled him out with Chisaki.

This show is a coming of age (and has been obviously this even before Okada came out clean), so the 'end game' pairing (if it exists) it'll be the one that matures the person and has basis of mutuality. Kaname had nothing to offer to Chisaki in her gruelling battle to adulthood. And, specially, there's nothing Chisaki can offer Kaname for this.

Again, I do not see any of the Mari Okada pairings in shows mysterious or surprising. Sometimes disappointing in how they were handled (Evol).
I'm not denying that it hasn't been developed well and indeed there were a lot of hints in hindsight for how it's turned out now. But if you were to tell me that ChisakixTsumugu would've been the end pairing after I had watched Episode 5, I'd probably think "This guy's gone insane".

Predictable? Sure, as long as you think anything can happen...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:06   Link #2103
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Well I still can't guess how it will end so for me it's not predictable.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:19   Link #2104
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm not denying that it hasn't been developed well and indeed there were a lot of hints in hindsight for how it's turned out now. But if you were to tell me that ChisakixTsumugu would've been the end pairing after I had watched Episode 5, I'd probably think "This guy's gone insane".

Predictable? Sure, as long as you think anything can happen...
You're trying to compare an outcome 5 episodes in, but now this show is 18 episodes in with the character arcs already introduced. Once the character arcs are introduced, the romantic part is just a part to contribute it. A character does not bend their personality to fit a pairing of choice, at least not in good writing.

I do not think "anything" can happen that seems to be an exaggeration. Plot wise, sure there can be twists, but in seamless (so far) character arcs (which involves romance, of course), eh... completely doubtful. Sayu and Hikari would not fall madly in love with each others, for instead. At least if you want to keep credibility as writer, they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorodri100 View Post
thess what are the pairings for you??
Hikari and Manaka are clearly the main "pairing", if you will. Tsumugu and Chisaki the secondary one which was hinted and set up early but solidified more clearly after the timeskip. I wish and I want for Kaname and Sayu to have a chance of happening, but it's becoming doubtful for the lack of time

Note they can end in tragedy. No one is saying it'll be a happy ending.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:21   Link #2105
Birdway
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Tsuki View Post
Manaka losing her ena, if Hikari didn't appear Manaka would have died.

The next episodes are going to be interesting. And Manaka losing her Ena, could this mean maybe a possible Tsumugu x Manaka pairing?

The things Hikari said in the first season (him imaging manaka an tsumugu swimming away together) and how he talks about it like it already happened.

I think maybe it is going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Manaka ends up with Tsumugu. After this episode I think that possibility is very big. Mark my words.

I'm not shipping anyone, but I think a lot of things would make sense (first season) about how Hikari was talking in a way as if he was telling a story about a girl who he loved but she fell in love with someone else.

Edit: there are a lot of hints to support this theorie:

- Manaka was very interested in the land people.
- The first school day how dressed in the school uniform of the land people
- Her speaking to Chisaki about her feelings for Tsumugu.
- And maybe later we get know what her real feelings are (example wanting to be with tsumugu who is from the land)
I agree with you, I almost forgot the lines and the same was for the manga, it seems Hikari had to let her go, maybe she died but since this show isn't about deaths maybe is other kind of 'lose' and this is no coincidence, I'm interested to know if Manaka's return will affect Tsumugu, if someone can make the guy be more emotional(aka not the robot of the second half) I think that is no other than her.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Around episode 4 and 5, Chisaki was obviously bonding with Tsumugu while Manaka wasn't as invested in a mutual sense, getting offended with him (i.e. tsundere) while she had zero regard for Kaname.


Quote:
Kaname's Nice Guy attitude ruled him out with Chisaki.
Being a good guy is a curse it seems.

Quote:
This show is a coming of age (and has been obviously this even before Okada came out clean), so the 'end game' pairing (if it exists) it'll be the one that matures the person and has basis of mutuality.
This is your view/interpretation, though.

Quote:
Kaname had nothing to offer to Chisaki in her gruelling battle to adulthood. And, specially, there's nothing Chisaki can offer Kaname for this.
How do you know? You're not Okada.
__________________
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:24   Link #2106
ices
Monadically Happy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monadic Container
Now, after this episode, this chart becomes relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
Meanwhile, NagiAsu Love chart v2

ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:25   Link #2107
Birdway
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
Now, after this episode, this chart becomes relevant.
Except for the bottom. Manaka will troll everyone .
__________________
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:26   Link #2108
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
You're trying to compare an outcome 5 episodes in, but now this show is 18 episodes in with the character arcs already introduced. Once the character arcs are introduced, the romantic part is just a part to contribute it. A character does not bend their personality to fit a pairing of choice, at least not in good writing.

I do not think "anything" can happen that seems to be an exaggeration. Plot wise, sure there can be twists, but in seamless (so far) character arcs (which involves romance, of course), eh... completely doubtful. Sayu and Hikari would not fall madly in love with each others, for instead. At least if you want to keep credibility as writer, they won't.
Well if you were just saying Okada is predictable when it comes to pairings after the 18th episode of a two cour series, I suppose I can agree with you on that.

It looks like I was just misunderstanding what you were saying.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:33   Link #2109
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Being a good guy is a curse it seems.
Being a Nice Guy (tm) is not a good thing. I prefer if Kaname is a better man than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
How do you know? You're not Okada.
I am watching this show and, thus, I am watching the characters interact.

Kaname's hung up on childish feelings because he refuses to grow up. Feelings that are making him stagnate and hurting him over nothing because it's been abundantly clear that they are one-sided. Chisaki's never show to do anything for him. Chisaki's feelings and relationship with Tsumugu helped her to become an adult. Both Tsumugu and Chisaki do mutual things for each other. Unlike the one-sided relationships Chisaki had with Hikari and with Kaname.

She feared new situations, turned away from the surface for comfort on her easy bubble of friends, isolating herself. Ending up with Kaname or Hikari would be returning to her childhood state (aka regressing). Sayama can be an option, though. I admit this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well if you were just saying Okada is predictable when it comes to pairings after the 18th episode of a two cour series, I suppose I can agree with you on that.

It looks like I was just misunderstanding what you were saying.
Okada has pet choices too, all I was saying the romance-flags were raised fairly early and once the character arcs got introduced, more or less, we can see the direction they could take.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Flower; 2014-02-06 at 19:53. Reason: No need for such "gentle jabs"....
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:42   Link #2110
Birdway
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Well, lets see if Kaname will be more perseverant with Chisaki and perhaps be a bit more forceful ... but wait, wasn't Kouichi the nice guy from Hanasaku?
__________________
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:43   Link #2111
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Damn, just as I was really liking MiunaXHikari, then they steal Manaka away from the Sea God. If she wakes up fully, that pretty much is the death knell for that pairing, considering Okada's original works has the final pairing pretty much set in the first episode. But it ain't all bad, as I really like HanaKana anyways. XD

But if something appears, another is lost? I just hope all that means is that Manaka's ena is being transferred to Miuna, otherwise Miuna might very well be the next sacrifice lols.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:45   Link #2112
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Well, lets see if Kaname will be more perseverant with Chisaki and perhaps be a bit more forceful ... but wait, wasn't Kouichi the nice guy from Hanasaku?
He'll be sent to bed early without dinner. Children have a curfew. Kouchi was the main guy and his relationship wasn't hopelessly one-sided.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:47   Link #2113
Birdway
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Anything can happen with Okada though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak"
...Just when I thought I had this show pegged down, I get another curve ball straight to the face.

What I'm dying to know is why this is all happening. Just what the hell is going on down there? What did Manaka's sacrifice even accomplish? What is Uroko trying to achieve? Why Miuna of all people? Is Hikari still related to all this like we speculated when Uroko hinted at him being someone's descendant? Is it a coincidence that Hikari woke up during the Tomoebi? Is it a coincidence that Akira broke a fever at the same time Miuna discovered her ena? So many questions...
This.
__________________
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:48   Link #2114
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamoto, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
...Just when I thought I had this show pegged down, I get another curve ball straight to the face.

What I'm dying to know is why this is all happening. Just what the hell is going on down there? What did Manaka's sacrifice even accomplish? What is Uroko trying to achieve? Why Miuna of all people? Is Hikari still related to all this like we speculated when Uroko hinted at him being someone's descendant? Is it a coincidence that Hikari woke up during the Tomoebi? Is it a coincidence that Akira broke a fever at the same time Miuna discovered her ena? So many questions...
This!

I can't stress this enough. Generally speaking this series has been a tough show to "peg down". A few people have guessed a few things correctly, but the eps continue to surprise most viewers over and over again while drawing a good many of them further into the storyline.

It's kinda for this reason that I have been hesitant about predictions (both my own and others'), though of course I have periodically been swept up by the storyline and eagerly indulged myself in speculation even though I am one of the lowest % guessers for these kind of things.

In other words, for me this is a great series to engage me so much. There is a reason why it, together with Mikakunin and Inari Konkon, is among my Rank A series this season, after all!

Gotta say that this ep in many ways had some of the most beautiful scenes in and of Shioshishio. The scene of Hikari speaking with his father was very moving, as was the scene of Miuna's in the school. Just lovely.

As for Uruko, he and his actions continue to be very mysterious and difficult to relate to - and it is this more than anything else that is my favorite quality of his. He is well presented as being "other", as refecting an angle of things that has its own logic and priorities and that simply is very hard to make sense of - as befits a deity.
__________________
Flower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:48   Link #2115
Raine721
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Well, lets see if Kaname will be more perseverant with Chisaki and perhaps be a bit more forceful ... but wait, wasn't Kouichi the nice guy from Hanasaku?
Kou and kaname might be similar but they're still very different. Again, Okada's pairing is really based on interactions and situations, it's not like a system that a nice guy won't ever end up with the heroine or the bad guys always get the girl kind of thing.
Raine721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:51   Link #2116
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Anything can happen with Okada though.
Okada is Gainax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
As for Uruko, he and his actions continue to be very mysterious and difficult to relate to - and it is this more than anything else that is my favorite quality of his. He is well presented as being "other", as refecting an angle of things that has its own logic and priorities and that simply is very hard to make sense of - as befits a deity.
Uroko's obvious displeasure and sadness is very intriguing. Do I also detect some bitterness he's just a 'scale'?
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:52   Link #2117
Birdway
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine721 View Post
Kou and kaname might be similar but they're still very different. Again, Okada's pairing is really based on interactions and situations, it's not like a system that a nice guy won't ever end up with the heroine or the bad guys always get the girl kind of thing.
The thing is Kou barely interacted with Ohana after she left the city and the majority of the public brushed him off as a romantic interest trough the series until the end .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Okada is Gainax?
The old Gainax or the no-longer-Gainx you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Kouchi was the main guy and his relationship wasn't hopelessly one-sided.
He wasn't he was left on the city and was comedic relief trough the series and...

Quote:
and the majority of the public brushed him off as a romantic interest trough the series until the end.
__________________
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:54   Link #2118
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine721 View Post
Kou and kaname might be similar but they're still very different. Again, Okada's pairing is really based on interactions and situations, it's not like a system that a nice guy won't ever end up with the heroine or the bad guys always get the girl kind of thing.
Being a nice guy isn't the same as being a Nice Guy. Tsumugu is a nice guy, but he's not acting like a Nice Guy. I was hoping the capitalization made it clear.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:57   Link #2119
Raine721
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
The thing is, Kou barely interacted with Ohana after she left the city and the majority of the public brushed him off as a romantic interest trough the series until the end.
I know what you mean, even so i tend to had the hunch not because they didn't interact much but basing it more on what they had and her interaction with other guys.
I've never seen so much love arrows in an anime like in nagiasu before but I'm keeping an open mind so that I won't be disappointed haha! I want to know more about the sea village more than anything though.
Raine721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 19:58   Link #2120
Birdway
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine721 View Post
I know what you mean, even so i tend to had the hunch not because they didn't interact much but basing it more on what they had and her interaction with other guys.
I've never seen so much love arrows in an anime like in nagiasu before but I'm keeping an open mind so that I won't be disappointed haha! I want to know more about the sea village more than anything though.
I'm doing the same .



Btw, so much intrigue going on, probably the best episode of the second half so far, props to the guy who was in charge of this episode!!
__________________
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.