AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-02-15, 12:15   Link #2421
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@Key Board

Nobody is saying that people should give up on their feelings for another at the first sign of difficulty or a little bit of opposition/competition. But there does come a point where it's quite obvious that your feelings for that other person aren't going to be reciprocated.

Hikari and Akari never reached that point, but Chisaki has (when it comes to Hikari). That's a key difference.

Look, do you really think its impossible for people to get over unrequited love? Do you really think it's good for people experiencing unrequited love to just stay in that position indefinitely?

Because honestly, that's the impression I'm getting from you and Miraluka. Don't you think at some point a person should push themselves to get over it and move on? Or do you think it's better to be like Aquarion EVOL's Zessica?
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 12:21   Link #2422
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
True, Hikari will not sway from Manaka and Chisaki knows it.

I don't think she'll try to seduce Hikari, but she's not going to force herself to forget him either.
As GE so eloquently put it, feelings are not like an on/off switch.

I'd say there's a 75% Chisaki ends up staying single, though.

The wild card in this equation is probably Kaname. He has a... dark side to him, and I feel he might react the wrong way to things.
Kaname might regret saving Tsumugu, but he know that was the right thing to do, if he didn't that before I doubt he'll do something similar now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple R
No, I'm being realistic here. You're just being overly optimistic about the degree of unrequited love that most people can handle before it causes serious problems for them.
If it didn't happen with a more serious situations like it was with Akari why should it happen now?

Quote:
That depends on how you interpret certain scenes and pieces of dialogue.
That's why I see you're going pessimistic .

Quote:
No, I'm not. You're neglecting the material because it's inconvenient to your argument. But the material is completely on-topic here and valid, because it's the material (how Chisaki's body is changing and what that means) that prompted the bit of dialogue between Chisaki and Tsumugu that I quoted before.
The whole point of the episode was that despite Chisaki sees herself as grown up, everyone has told her that her mental age is pretty much the same. She got old but her mind didn't but she realized more about her feeling and isn't pained by them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Key Board

Nobody is saying that people should give up on their feelings for another at the first sign of difficulty or a little bit of opposition/competition. But there does come a point where it's quite obvious that your feelings for that other person aren't going to be reciprocated.

Hikari and Akari never reached that point, but Chisaki has (when it comes to Hikari). That's a key difference.

Look, do you really think its impossible for people to get over unrequited love? Do you really think it's good for people experiencing unrequited love to just stay in that position indefinitely?

Because honestly, that's the impression I'm getting from you and Miraluka. Don't you think at some point a person should push themselves to get over it and move on? Or do you think it's better to be like Aquarion EVOL's Zessica?
I told you before not everyone acts the same way before the same situations. I didn't say it's impossible, but you shouldn't expect them to get over it as if changing clothing.

Look at Chisaki, she knows she won't be loved back but she isn't derailing her life, just because now she isn't thinking on the next love alternative it doesn't means it's over for her.


You said it yourself at some point but that is up to those people, not you, not me.

PS: EVOL was a mess to me, but I can see what Okada can do when her wangst skill isn't restrained by the director from the staff.
__________________
Your last hope!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 12:29   Link #2423
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I really don't get why you guys keep bringing up Akari. Her situation is radically different from Chisaki's, or even Hikari's.

You do realize that one of the first times we see Itaru (if not the first time), it's him locking lips with Akari, right?

How the heck do you see "unrequited love" as an issue here?

The Itaru/Akari issue was not an "unrequited love" issue. It was a star-crossed lovers issue exacerbated by a guy understandably still bearing the hurts from losing his first wife. It's a totally different issue.


If anything, Akari speaks to the the value of moving on - as she relates to Itaru. Itaru could have refused to accept his wife's passing, and stayed a lonely widower the rest of his life. Instead, he moved on, and he has a beautiful new family to show for it.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 12:33   Link #2424
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
What probably contributed to this impression is how the episode started and ended with Chisaki's flashback. The first cour never explained why she liked Hikari (it only gave us some half-hearted explanation along the lines of "I'm in love with the Hikari who is in love with Manaka"). Now we're in the second cour, Chisaki already confessed and five years have passed. Suddenly, we're presented the whole depth of her love for Hikari. It's no surprise that for the viewer, her feelings come across as even stronger than in the first cour.
Well, for me this becomes a narrative mistake. You can't build up a character and her relationships over a certain explanation ("I'm in love with the Hikari who is in love with Manaka") and then after 19 episodes changing it radically (if that was the intent, for now it's hard to tell). You can't if you care about coherence. If you don't care then the next episode we could expect everything



Anyways, to me it's more like that Chisaki is keeping going back to square one because of Hikari. I mean, it's a while that the show gave us this duality between Hikari and Tsumugu telling Chisaki the complete opposite.
Chisaki has been always contrary to Tsumugu's statements about her, even before the time skip. It's just that before the time skip it was showed in a positive way, she acknowledged them, but after the time skip she didn't take them in that way anymore, the truth is she didn't take them at all. Like she was in denial. This last episode she didn't even hear his thought. So on this front I think that the show is portraying this idea that she is resisting to Tsumugu's advices and everything behind them.
On the other side she has Hikari that keeps telling her the opposite. So to me this dichotomy has always been like Hikari being the one who says what she want to hear and Tsumugu the one who says what she needs to hear.
That is more consistent if we think that it's not just Chisaki that doesn't want to change, but even Hikari. So his affirming how she hasn't changed implies that he, and so their common reality, hasn't changed. What about Kaname that instead is living under the same roof with Chisaki? Is he totally misunderstanding what he sees?

So it's not unlikely that Hikari is unwillingly keeping her from go ahead, and each time she feels uncomfortable she just needs to hear Hikari's words. Because those are the words she want to hear!
If we look closely what is the sole thing that really didn't change? her feelings for him! So in a way her feelings are what are keeping her to square one. Because everything changed but those. Or, from another angle, they are not changing because they are the last anchor to her past, so letting them go would mean acknowledging the change she fears so much.
That's what I got from the show so far and so that's why I consider her moving on, letting him go, meaningful and a necessity.
Obviously the show could go anywhere, but honestly I'd feel, ehm, "disoriented" if she'd end still stuck on Hikari. And that has nothing to do with Tsumugu and his relationship with her.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 12:40   Link #2425
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post

So it's not unlikely that Hikari is unwillingly keeping her from go ahead, and each time she feels uncomfortable she just needs to hear Hikari's words. Because those are the words she want to hear!
If we look closely what is the sole thing that really didn't change? her feelings for him! So in a way her feelings are what are keeping her to square one. Because everything changed but those. Or, from another angle, they are not changing because they are the last anchor to her past, so letting them go would mean acknowledging the change she fears so much.
That's what I got from the show so far and so that's why I consider her moving on, letting him go, meaningful and a necessity.
Obviously the show could go anywhere, but honestly I'd feel, ehm, "disoriented" if she'd end still stuck on Hikari. And that has nothing to do with Tsumugu and his relationship with her.
I totally agree. Very well said.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 12:49   Link #2426
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Yep, it's just like Arya said. In the end, it's really more about her fear to change than her feelings for Hikari, which are merely a consequence of her real problem.

That's why it's obvious that if she doesn't mange to move on, this will be depicted in a negative light, just like in Zessica's case. Let's hope she will find the strength to face reality instead.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 13:01   Link #2427
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I personally expect all the characters will have positive ends as so far most of the character development that has taken place in the series has been positive, despite set backs from time to time.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 15:27   Link #2428
Raine721
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Is it just me that even though what tsumugu said is a confession but at the same time it's really not? I mean it's not blatant but we all know for sure now that he likes her. Then again, I have a feeling he won't ever pursue her in order to maker her his. Knowing her situation of Hikari and kaname, I think he'd just want to stay the way they are.
Raine721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 15:37   Link #2429
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Anyways, to me it's more like that Chisaki is keeping going back to square one because of Hikari. I mean, it's a while that the show gave us this duality between Hikari and Tsumugu telling Chisaki the complete opposite.
Chisaki has been always contrary to Tsumugu's statements about her, even before the time skip. It's just that before the time skip it was showed in a positive way, she acknowledged them, but after the time skip she didn't take them in that way anymore, the truth is she didn't take them at all. Like she was in denial. This last episode she didn't even hear his thought. So on this front I think that the show is portraying this idea that she is resisting to Tsumugu's advices and everything behind them.
Well this time only reason she didn't Tsumugu's advice is because she fell asleep so i don't think she's resisting. Rather the conversation suggested she was actually perfectly willing to accept how much she's changed, and it was Tsumugu that initially shot her down telling her that she should stop trying to be an adult. I think what she said showed that she's still worried that changing will mean she loses people precious to her. That's totally understandable considering what one particularly traumatic change resulted in, and what another threatens to do. But I wouldn't say she's in denial: Just very apprehensive. It's not as simple as being for or against.

Quote:
On the other side she has Hikari that keeps telling her the opposite. So to me this dichotomy has always been like Hikari being the one who says what she want to hear and Tsumugu the one who says what she needs to hear.
That is more consistent if we think that it's not just Chisaki that doesn't want to change, but even Hikari. So his affirming how she hasn't changed implies that he, and so their common reality, hasn't changed. What about Kaname that instead is living under the same roof with Chisaki? Is he totally misunderstanding what he sees?

So it's not unlikely that Hikari is unwillingly keeping her from go ahead, and each time she feels uncomfortable she just needs to hear Hikari's words. Because those are the words she want to hear!
If we look closely what is the sole thing that really didn't change? her feelings for him! So in a way her feelings are what are keeping her to square one. Because everything changed but those. Or, from another angle, they are not changing because they are the last anchor to her past, so letting them go would mean acknowledging the change she fears so much.
That's what I got from the show so far and so that's why I consider her moving on, letting him go, meaningful and a necessity.
Obviously the show could go anywhere, but honestly I'd feel, ehm, "disoriented" if she'd end still stuck on Hikari. And that has nothing to do with Tsumugu and his relationship with her.
The subtle dichotomy between Tsumugu and Hikari is important to note, but I don't think her change is quite as black and white as whether it's square one or not. The truth is, there's no button that will magically allow her to just stop having feelings for Hikari. And the fact that it's unrequited is not enough to change her feelings because if it was she wouldn't have had feelings for him at the beginning of the show: She's under no illusions about the fact that it's unrequited. For Chisaki to get over Hikari (assuming she needs to) requires a change in perspective on how she views her feelings for Hikari. The show has been very ambiguous on what that perspective currently is which suggests to me that even she doesn't know yet whether it's changed or not.

Moreover, what exactly is the relationship between changing and her unrequited love? Does she need to accept that she's changed or does she need to actually change? The latter I don't think is true since the episode seemed to hinting that she's already changed. But if she needs to accept that she's changed then the only application of that here would be to either realise that the age gap is an inevitable barrier (which doesn't seem to be the case, imo) or to realise that her perspective on Hikari has already changed so technically she's not stuck at square one: she just hasn't realised she's already at the finishing line (moreover, she's forcing herself to keep liking Hikari so she doesn't have to accept change, rather than the other way round).

Now ultimately I think it would be better off for Chisaki to follow Tsumugu's advice (Well I think we all do) but it's important to note that Hikari's new found philosophy isn't entirely wrong. As far back as at the end of episode 5, Hikari commented on how Akari still seemed like a child when she was crying her eyes out at Miuna. He's also made similar comments about Miuna and Sayu, so I think the story is somewhat backing him up on his philosophy (Not to mention that he himself is living proof that things don't always change). So in regards to the dichotomy between Hikari and Tsumugu, I think Hikari is leading her astray or anything. I think they both represent a spectrum rather than a clear cut choice and it's up to Chisaki to figure out where she lays.
__________________
MyAnimeList
Avatar - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Signature - Gundam Reconguista in G
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 18:53   Link #2430
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well this time only reason she didn't Tsumugu's advice is because she fell asleep so i don't think she's resisting. Rather the conversation suggested she was actually perfectly willing to accept how much she's changed, and it was Tsumugu that initially shot her down telling her that she should stop trying to be an adult. I think what she said showed that she's still worried that changing will mean she loses people precious to her. That's totally understandable considering what one particularly traumatic change resulted in, and what another threatens to do. But I wouldn't say she's in denial: Just very apprehensive. It's not as simple as being for or against.
I was focusing more on the show's direction, that this time avoided to show how she would have reacted to Tsumugu's advice, but all in all we could optimistically agree on that maybe she is/was starting to not resist anymore, but I guess the point of her falling asleep was exactly to let the matter pending.
About the rest I almost agree in general, it's just that I felt more a feeling of resignation from her words, she seemed to think she had already lost what was meaningful for her. That is still acceptance, so that was fine for me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The subtle dichotomy between Tsumugu and Hikari is important to note, but I don't think her change is quite as black and white as whether it's square one or not. The truth is, there's no button that will magically allow her to just stop having feelings for Hikari. And the fact that it's unrequited is not enough to change her feelings because if it was she wouldn't have had feelings for him at the beginning of the show: She's under no illusions about the fact that it's unrequited. For Chisaki to get over Hikari (assuming she needs to) requires a change in perspective on how she views her feelings for Hikari. The show has been very ambiguous on what that perspective currently is which suggests to me that even she doesn't know yet whether it's changed or not.
Well, I in fact didn't give any "timing" to her moving on, my point was to explain why she needs to move on. And really I don't know how she could get over these feelings, I'm not the writer, I'd like to see Kaname having a role in it, because he is a good boy and he has the best view on this specific picture in which Tsumugu is too much involved and his way is not working either.
The fact is that after the second part of this episode the ambiguity you are talking about somehow faded away. That's the main problem I think about the complains about Chisaki going back to square one. I already said how I found it too convenient and ultimately unnatural so don't let me go ahead on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Moreover, what exactly is the relationship between changing and her unrequited love? Does she need to accept that she's changed or does she need to actually change? The latter I don't think is true since the episode seemed to hinting that she's already changed. But if she needs to accept that she's changed then the only application of that here would be to either realise that the age gap is an inevitable barrier (which doesn't seem to be the case, imo) or to realise that her perspective on Hikari has already changed so technically she's not stuck at square one: she just hasn't realised she's already at the finishing line (moreover, she's forcing herself to keep liking Hikari so she doesn't have to accept change, rather than the other way round).
Well, if I got it right that's exactly my point, even if I didn't use the word forcing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Now ultimately I think it would be better off for Chisaki to follow Tsumugu's advice (Well I think we all do) but it's important to note that Hikari's new found philosophy isn't entirely wrong. As far back as at the end of episode 5, Hikari commented on how Akari still seemed like a child when she was crying her eyes out at Miuna. He's also made similar comments about Miuna and Sayu, so I think the story is somewhat backing him up on his philosophy (Not to mention that he himself is living proof that things don't always change). So in regards to the dichotomy between Hikari and Tsumugu, I think Hikari is leading her astray or anything. I think they both represent a spectrum rather than a clear cut choice and it's up to Chisaki to figure out where she lays.
As I said Hikari is unwillingly keeping her at square one, so in a way yes I think he is leading her astray, well, not astray, as said .. just to square one. Because that's what he want to do to himself, to preserve Manaka from suffering the same trauma he had seeing that everything changed. What he is doing is probably right for himself, if he will be able to do it is yet to be seen btw, it's just not right for Chisaki imo. Anyways I agree that it's up to her which way to follow. It's just that in one way she just needs to stay still.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 20:31   Link #2431
JTeague
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thinking back on Manaka's last private conversation with Tsugumu, when she compared him to the sun and all; I think Manaka is in love with the idea of the surface in general rather than Tsugumu in particular. In contrast to Tsugumu and Muina who seem to love the sea, Manaka doesn't want to be confined to it, she wants to see the sun.
JTeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 22:15   Link #2432
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Kaname might regret saving Tsumugu, but he know that was the right thing to do, if he didn't that before I doubt he'll do something similar now.
They'll probably draw a parallel to how Miuna might regret saving Manaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Key Board

Nobody is saying that people should give up on their feelings for another at the first sign of difficulty or a little bit of opposition/competition. But there does come a point where it's quite obvious that your feelings for that other person aren't going to be reciprocated.

Hikari and Akari never reached that point, but Chisaki has (when it comes to Hikari). That's a key difference.

Look, do you really think its impossible for people to get over unrequited love? Do you really think it's good for people experiencing unrequited love to just stay in that position indefinitely?

Because honestly, that's the impression I'm getting from you and Miraluka. Don't you think at some point a person should push themselves to get over it and move on? Or do you think it's better to be like Aquarion EVOL's Zessica?
Chisaki knows she can't be with Hikari
and as said, I don't she's going to seduce him either
But as said, she can't force herself to forget about him
People expect Chisaki to have a "forget Hikari and move on" switch.
The heart is not mechanical, and I think she has extra burden since their last parting was pretty traumatic.

I think she's going for the "keep Hikari in my heart and continue living" route
and for that I think she acknowledging this
Is this choice i would personally chose? No
But it feels like the most fitting choice for her character so far

As for Zessica:

It's been a while since I watched Evol, but from what I recall she really didn't have any choices
Were people expecting her to push the supposed "stop being in love with (main character)?" button
Because I don't think that's a real option

Unrequited love is painful, period
But there's a saying, it's better to have loved and lost than to not have loved at all.
I guess she'll be content with what happened
__________________

Last edited by Key Board; 2014-02-15 at 22:32.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 02:32   Link #2433
deadite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Do you think there was more to Tsumugu and Manaka's last conversation that wasn't shown?
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 02:43   Link #2434
TheEroKing
Akari Edition
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: India
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
__________________
TheEroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 04:19   Link #2435
deadite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I wonder if the lack of Tsumugu monologues was a conscious effort on the writers/directors part? Everyone has had an internal monologue but him. I also wonder about those pralles being drawn between Hikari and the sea god..

Last edited by deadite; 2014-02-16 at 04:49.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 07:36   Link #2436
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
They'll probably draw a parallel to how Miuna might regret saving Manaka



Chisaki knows she can't be with Hikari
and as said, I don't she's going to seduce him either
But as said, she can't force herself to forget about him
People expect Chisaki to have a "forget Hikari and move on" switch.
Chisaki doesn't have to "forget" about Hikari. I've never forgotten about the people that I felt romantic love for in high school. You don't forget about these sorts of things unless you develop rather serious memory problems, or ended up having so many different romances that you eventually lose track of one or more of them.

However, when it comes to unrequited love, you do have a choice.

You can choose to keep the person you love (but who doesn't love you back) in a place of prominence in your heart and mind. Or you can choose to let go, and move on. "Let go" means you make a conscientious effort to stop thinking about the person you're in love with, and try to focus on other people and things.

The old saying of "There's other fish in the sea" is all about this. It's all about refocusing the heart and the mind away from a failed, unrequited, or past love, and towards your present possibilities.

Now, it isn't easy. And I respect that. But it is possible. It is a real choice that people can and do make all the time.

And what I'm seeing with Chisaki is a person who is choosing to put Hikari in a place of prominence in her heart and mind, and who is choosing to dwell on the past and not let go. Yes, she is naturally drawn to those choices by her own emotions, but she could make a conscientious choice to try to move on with her life.

And nowhere have I said that it's like flipping a switch or changing clothes. Making a choice to move on is just the first or second step in what's probably going to be a somewhat long journey.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 08:36   Link #2437
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Chisaki doesn't have to "forget" about Hikari. I've never forgotten about the people that I felt romantic love for in high school. You don't forget about these sorts of things unless you develop rather serious memory problems, or ended up having so many different romances that you eventually lose track of one or more of them.

However, when it comes to unrequited love, you do have a choice.

You can choose to keep the person you love (but who doesn't love you back) in a place of prominence in your heart and mind. Or you can choose to let go, and move on. "Let go" means you make a conscientious effort to stop thinking about the person you're in love with, and try to focus on other people and things.
If it comes to the point where you have to "force" yourself to stop thinking about something, than I'd say what you try to submerge will eventually resurface. pun intended.

Sweeping it under a rug is not a good idea. She must confront the issue, think and accept it. After that, maybe comes catharsis. I think admitting that she still loves Hikari is the right step.

Besides, I think it's asking too much of her to make a "conscious" effort to stop thinking about him given the recent DRAMA. This wasn't chance a random re-union. This was a miracle.

Quote:
The old saying of "There's other fish in the sea" is all about this. It's all about refocusing the heart and the mind away from a failed, unrequited, or past love, and towards your present possibilities.
That's true. but there are also rebound and unhappy silver medal relationships.
Carrying a torch for someone can be the happier option. What you can't have can inspire you in a positive way.
Must everyone let go and move on? Is that the only valid option?

Quote:
Now, it isn't easy. And I respect that. But it is possible. It is a real choice that people can and do make all the time.
And the best outcome doesn't always happen from that either.
I'm willing to bet that those that don't end up happy is because they had to "force" themselves to let go
Again, is this the only acceptable route?

Quote:
And what I'm seeing with Chisaki is a person who is choosing to put Hikari in a place of prominence in her heart and mind, and who is choosing to dwell on the past and not let go. Yes, she is naturally drawn to those choices by her own emotions, but she could make a conscientious choice to try to move on with her life.
She's not going to kidnap and elope with him.
Really, all she did was admit she still loves him.

Again, was does move on with her life mean?
Can she only "move on" by forcing herself to not think of him?
I think Hikari is part of her life and accepting the pain that comes with it is part of moving on.

Quote:
And nowhere have I said that it's like flipping a switch or changing clothes. Making a choice to move on is just the first or second step in what's probably going to be a somewhat long journey.
Well it certainly sounds that way. I'd say "making a conscious effort to not think about Hikari" is something mechanical like a switch

If it comes to the point that you must treat it like a switch than I'd say it's a false choice
__________________
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 10:30   Link #2438
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
If it comes to the point where you have to "force" yourself to stop thinking about something, than I'd say what you try to submerge will eventually resurface.
Sure. From time to time. But just because something is hard to do, and you're not likely to do it without some relapses or struggles, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I mean, would you tell an alcoholic person that he shouldn't bother trying to get over his alcoholism because his addiction is likely to resurface at some point?

And yes, unrequited love can be just as destructive to a person as alcoholism is, just in different ways.


Quote:
Sweeping it under a rug is not a good idea. She must confront the issue, think and accept it. After that, maybe comes catharsis. I think admitting that she still loves Hikari is the right step.
I don't think it's good if she stays at that step. It's fine if it's the first step in getting over him.


Quote:

Besides, I think it's asking too much of her to make a "conscious" effort to stop thinking about him given the recent DRAMA. This wasn't chance a random re-union. This was a miracle.
I think that's overstating it a bit. Hikari waking up was always a possibility. In fact, that was the plan, going by what Uroko said. It's not that shocking that "Hey, just like we were told, people are starting to wake up!"


Quote:
Carrying a torch for someone can be the happier option.
I've never seen it myself. I've never seen anybody truly be happy carrying the torch for someone that won't love them back.

So I'm very much inclined to strongly disagree with you here, and I think you're engaging in wishful thinking.


Quote:
Must everyone let go and move on? Is that the only valid option?
I really wonder why this idea bothers you so much. There's all sorts of things that we accept as good life advice.

"Look before you leap"

"Eat healthy and make sure you get plenty of sleep"

"It's important to get a good education"

What I'm talking about on this thread is not far after these three, in my view.


Quote:
And the best outcome doesn't always happen from that either.
I'm willing to bet that those that don't end up happy is because they had to "force" themselves to let go
I strongly disagree, and I don't see any good evidence supporting your position. I think you're way off on this. I think that those who don't end up happy are those who never get over their unrequited love.


Quote:
Again, was does move on with her life mean?
It means that Hikari shouldn't be the most prominent person in her life, heart, and mind.


Quote:
Well it certainly sounds that way. I'd say "making a conscious effort to not think about Hikari" is something mechanical like a switch
I strongly disagree. Is it "flipping a switch" for a teenager to make a conscientious effort to get into a good university? Is it "flipping a switch" to make a conscientious effort to purse a particular life dream, like becoming a music star or a pro sports player? It it "flipping a switch" to make a conscientious effort to move on with one's life after mourning the lost of a loved one?

No, it's simply making a decision that begins a gradual process. It is the very opposite of "flipping a switch".
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 11:01   Link #2439
ices
Monadically Happy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monadic Container
@deadite kaname too, IIRC.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 11:07   Link #2440
tezu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cloud cuckoo land
What Chisaki needs to do is not to forget her unrequited love, but to stop nurturing these feelings/letting them grow. Reminiscing about how she fell in love with Hikari easily leads to the impression that she's actively indulging in her memories, which is frustrating from a storytelling point of view. On the other hand, the sentence "I still do like Hikari after all" was immediately followed by "And so [...] our time [...] finally started moving", so the optimist in me hopes that this is not the message the directors wanted to tell us. Which is why I'll use my imagination to come up with a different interpretation

When she was 14, Chisaki refused to accept her feelings because she was afraid of changing the group dynamic. Her fear manoeuvred her into a corner where she wasn't able to face her feelings directly (even her confession in episode 12 was a half-lie). She never gave herself the chance to move on from Hikari naturally and when she told herself to "grow up"/"give up", it was not because she wanted to move on per se, but because she was forced to do so in order to maintain the status quo. Five years later, she repeats the same thing and is depressed that her 19-years-old self doesn't fit into the group anymore. Again, she fails to decouple her change issues from her feelings for Hikari. Her wariness of change and her love for Hikari were always mutually exclusive.

Episode 19 however seems to be the first time she's completely honest and open about both change and her feelings. She is 19, Hikari's 14...but she likes him anyway. For the first time, the change issue takes a back-seat. The optimist in me wants to believe that the Chisaki we see now is finally able to move on - not because her change issues dictate her to do so, but because she herself chooses to.
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.