AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-04-05, 11:23   Link #3581
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Just out of curiosity does anyone have any numbers on DVD/BD sales?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 11:26   Link #3582
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Maybe my preferences are at odds with the general anime community but I am totally flabbergasted at how this series is getting an 8.5 on MAL (and it's continuing to rise...) and animeplanet making it the 2nd highest rated PA Works show after Angel Beats (which I also have no idea why it's ranked so high).
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 11:33   Link #3583
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just out of curiosity does anyone have any numbers on DVD/BD sales?
I can't remember clearly but Vol.1 first week sales were around 2,900 copies and it took 3 months to reach 5500 copies, vol.2 sold around 2500 but vol.3 sold less.

Heck, even Wake Up Girls Vol.1 got 2900 copies on its first week of sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Maybe my preferences are at odds with the general anime community but I am totally flabbergasted at how this series is getting an 8.5 on MAL (and it's continuing to rise...) and animeplanet making it the 2nd highest rated PA Works show after Angel Beats (which I also have no idea why it's ranked so high).
Well, those are western sites, and those usually judge a series based on their looks at first.
__________________
The world is collapsing

Last edited by Miraluka; 2014-04-05 at 11:44. Reason: fixed
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 11:36   Link #3584
Kakurin-san
私がラッキーガールですって?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just out of curiosity does anyone have any numbers on DVD/BD sales?
1 9 3,678 2013/12/20 Fall Nagi no Asukara
2 9 4,182 2014/01/29 Fall Nagi no Asukara
3 9 3,082 2014/02/26 Fall Nagi no Asukara
4 9 2,855 2014/03/26 Fall Nagi no Asukara
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 11:38   Link #3585
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 25
^
Btw, those are not the first week sales.
__________________
The world is collapsing
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 11:41   Link #3586
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
1 9 3,678 2013/12/20 Fall Nagi no Asukara
2 9 4,182 2014/01/29 Fall Nagi no Asukara
3 9 3,082 2014/02/26 Fall Nagi no Asukara
4 9 2,855 2014/03/26 Fall Nagi no Asukara
Looks like it's floating along the Manabi line for now which is okay I guess. At least it doesn't sound like a disaster.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 12:02   Link #3587
Flower
Purrrrfectly cuddly!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yamato, Akiba, Log Horizon Guild Hall, Kitchen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Maybe my preferences are at odds with the general anime community but I am totally flabbergasted at how this series is getting an 8.5 on MAL (and it's continuing to rise...) and animeplanet making it the 2nd highest rated PA Works show after Angel Beats (which I also have no idea why it's ranked so high).
Well, in my earlier post I gave it the same rating.

All it really means is that other people have different tastes.
__________________
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:00   Link #3588
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Mmm, you know, the more I think about the ending resolution, the more I'm convinced the original idea was to mimic the legend with a happy outcome and perhaps the original idea was to have that Tsumugu/Manaka/Hikari triangle without Miuna as narrator (and perhaps not even as a relevant character) or as an important piece since it was the main focus of the series presentation and the preview.

Hear me here. The legend is about someone torn between the earth lover and her sea husband, this was flat out said similar to what happened to the seagod as Uroko sympathized with Hikari's love woes. The guy drowned himself for her sake. So the discovery was that, despite still liking that guy, the Ojoshi loved her husband and he made a bunch of wrong assumptions. I think Manaka, Tsumugu and Hikari were meant to be a parallel of that story. Miuna's participation kind of clash with it because she really doesn't have a fitting role, she's not loved back as the Ojoshi or is in a focal triangle between two guys she loves. Hikari doesn't love her romantically to make the wrong assumption who loves her, so the resolution of his feelings is kind of incompatible with the sea deity finally realizing his wrong. Tsumugu gaining ena after he nearly drowned for love could have been the 'happy outcome' of the land lover side. Manaka released with ena and feelings and Hikari, unlike the sea god

It’s like the parallelism of the fairytale was there but became lost. Don't get me wrong, Chisaki/Tsumugu is probably my favorite pairing in this show because it has a refreshing realistic procession, but I am noticing that Miuna's role and perhaps Chisaki/Tsumugu (at least from his side) maybe derailed the original fairytale parallelism to have the Sea God and the Ojoshi-sama realization of the truth mirror Hikari and Manaka with the land rival saved rather than dead. Because the scenes with Miuna and Hikari, while powerful and emotional, were a little unrelated and departed to the feelings of the Ojoshi and the Seagod.

Just my observation, please don't take it as serious gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Looks like it's floating along the Manabi line for now which is okay I guess. At least it doesn't sound like a disaster.
Volume 4 sales are only for the first week which was higher than the third volume first week. I don't think it's low.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:10   Link #3589
deadite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
@Thess
I think Miuna was means to transmit Ojoushi's feelings. I think the presence Uroko felt in episode 25 was the Ojoushi's.

I kinda hope Uroko finds love in the future. Really saw a new side to him this last 2 episodes.

I'd like to reiterate that Ena folk are like Newtyes in Gundam only underwater. Haha..
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:22   Link #3590
MgMaster
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Maybe my preferences are at odds with the general anime community but I am totally flabbergasted at how this series is getting an 8.5 on MAL (and it's continuing to rise...) and animeplanet making it the 2nd highest rated PA Works show after Angel Beats (which I also have no idea why it's ranked so high).
Right there with you man... I just can't seem to enjoy romance shows which lack subtlety and are filled to the brim with tears,even thought it's one of my favorite genres.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:50   Link #3591
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
@Thess
I think Miuna was means to transmit Ojoushi's feelings. I think the presence Uroko felt in episode 25 was the Ojoushi's.
Which makes no sense because Miuna was never torn between two guys like the Ojoshi to be able to actually understand her feelings. The one who was is Manaka and she's the one telling the story as the one she understood what is to be trapped between two longings. She was also never loved back romantically by the sea god parallel (Hikari) to be actually a good substitute, unlike Manaka. That's why I am saying the parallelism fell flat. I don't complain because I vastly prefer Chisaki's storyarc than the fairytale one.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:02   Link #3592
deadite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
@Thess
I was just wondering how Miuna picked up on Ojoshi's true feelings. Or maybe it was her trying to tell sea god and Hikari that falling in love was not a horrible thing.

In general I like the magical realism of the show, makes for a very unique seting. And I appreciate both story arcs.

In the end though your prediction was correct that the Sea go had to "change" or "move on" so to speak. It is like symbolically cast away his feelings so he wouldn't get hurt. He thought being the Spirit Fire was enough to keep everyone safe. But as Tsumugu said, you have accept love with both the pain and suffering along with the good.

The Sea God realized that, transmitted by the feelings of the cast underwater. He burned the Wooden Idols to show that he wanted to change.

I think it's safe to say no Ofunehiki of any kind would be needed in the future anymore.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:25   Link #3593
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
In the end though your prediction was correct that the Sea go had to "change" or "move on" so to speak. It is like symbolically cast away his feelings so he wouldn't get hurt. He thought being the Spirit Fire was enough to keep everyone safe. But as Tsumugu said, you have accept love with both the pain and suffering along with the good.
Yes, while the catalyst could have gone more smoothly to have a greater significance and resound the tale, I'm glad this happened. Because there was no realistic way a bunch of children would affect the world weather and the sea tide. They could only work together and their efforts be noticed by the deity who can.
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:27   Link #3594
deadite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Also, I'd like to commend a certain attention to detail. Chisaki was actually performing proper CPR on Manaka unlike what Miuna did to Hikari in episode 14. It's nice to see Chisaki being a nurse is being incorporated in some way.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:51   Link #3595
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@Thess

Very nice observations. Now I see where the Sea God story may have tied in beautifully to the original narrative plan for this ending. Yes, the parallelism you're describing would have made NnA's ending feel much more organic and hence less arbitrary.

So here's my suspicion based on your observation - The original story concept just wasn't long enough to fill up 2 cours worth of episodes, so Miuna and Tsumugu/Chisaki were given added focus to make up the difference. The cost was the parallelism now falls flat, as you say. But I agree with you that the benefit outweighs the cost here - the Tsumugu/Chisaki arc was the most compelling romance arc in this show, imo.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 15:44   Link #3596
Kakurin-san
私がラッキーガールですって?
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But I agree with you that the benefit outweighs the cost here - the Tsumugu/Chisaki arc was the most compelling romance arc in this show, imo.
I guess that's probably the main point of disagreement between those who liked the second half and those who thought the second half was terrible. I personally just completely disliked the focus the second half put on the badly done teen romances that stumbled along in conflict with the other part concerning the end of the world / fantasy. The romance never got me committed, despite me normally liking romance or romcoms. Exemplified was this by the Chisaki / Tsumugu part which sometimes was at the forefront, then completely disappeared, only to come back again, always on the bubble. And when it came to the forefront, what was shown was more annoying than compelling in my eyes. It also didn't help that Chisaki weaseled her way around for 9 episodes to turn me from a supporter into somebody who no longer cared for her and Tsumugu being a "Golden Boy" character.
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 16:18   Link #3597
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Also, I'd like to commend a certain attention to detail. Chisaki was actually performing proper CPR on Manaka unlike what Miuna did to Hikari in episode 14. It's nice to see Chisaki being a nurse is being incorporated in some way.
That's one of the various events that happened twice, like Manaka being fished by Tsumugu, Miuna diving into deep water and Tsumugu and Chisaki diving after each other. And so Miuna mimic CPR and then Chisaki doing it to Manaka.
It's important to note that to me every double event was a hidden indication that the show would have done the ceremony again.

What I think is that every double event has been done the first time without a real meaning, or without the due awareness or simply "just because". Instead the second time it happened in the right way.

Miuna faked the CPR probably to have a contact with Hikari more than anything else, Tsumugu commented on that Instead Chisaki did it knowing how, knowing why and with the right feelings behind it. Manaka got fished by chance the first time and had a crush on Tsumugu, the second time instead she was aware of her true feelings, i.e. awareness. Chisaki when dove to save Tsumugu didn't know about her feelings for him, she started realized them in that very moment. She did that instinctively. Tsumugu the second time was fully aware of his feelings and even Chisaki's and even what he was risking doing what he did.
So looking at the main event, the ceremony the first time happened without a clear reason in mind, was more a let's give it a try, everyone took it not seriously. And Hikari did it in the first place for Manaka IIRC. Instead the second time Tsumugu had a sound reason and a clear plan in mind. He spent 5 years studying the ocean, he had the big picture in mind, starting from the wider, the ice age climatic problem, the middle, sea people still sleeping to Manaka and Chisaki. In fact Uroko accepted his idea right away. Not and not only him, basically all the villagers took part to it working hard.

So having said that and to respond to Thess and Triple_R, I'm a bit sceptical about the idea that they added Miuna and Chisaki / Tsumugu love story as filler. Despite at least for me Miuna felt as such for the first part of the second cour.

The first objection that comes to mind is that Manaka before becoming the new Ojoshi had already cleared her doubts. So we still would not have the conflict.
Instead if we follow the circular pattern I mentioned above, I'll try to give another read to it.
It's like when the first time Manaka was saved the situation was exactly as the fairy tale. The sea-god unloved by his "wife" and the wife that came back to his lover. Basically the sea-god suffered again the same fate, that's why the outcome was the same (manaka' inability to love).
The second time instead Miuna was not loved by anyone (sorry for put it bluntly Miuna' supporters ) but still Hikari fought as hard as he could to have her back. We have to take into account that the whole Hikari's issue from my pov has always been to be focused onto Manaka and Manaka alone. As far as I remember he never noticed nothing about his friends, nothing about Chisaki, nothing about Kaname and nothing about Miuna. Until the end. So that moment worked for him as his step up and for the sea-god. Somehow the lack of love in the fight was the trigger that wake up the sea god. Maybe because it wasn't a rival who was stealing his wife. But a relative, but most importantly a friend (sorry again). If it makes sense. Because I know it is a bit counter intuitive.

I don't know, but the script seems to be too accurate to make Miuna a late addiction to the story. Despite I'm not denying the possibility.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not trying to defend the Tsumugu/Chisaki arc, because I could care the less if it was added or already there in the original script. I'm just glad it was there. Because their arc, despite the exaggerated implied development, touched a lot of my romance soft spots.
Oh, and speaking of which, the little shipper that live in me made (or tried to make) a video for the Chisaki and Tsumugu supporters. I'll drop it here for who is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLhhXEzFx10
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 19:00   Link #3598
deadite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
As for me I was surprised how ending actually tied up all of the shows themes. I mean, it could have been executed better but I was honestly surprised how so many events in the show were actually build up for the finale of the Sea God finally changing. I was surprised that the sea god himself had to change as well. I think the themes of stagnation is pretty solid despite getting tiresome for some.

While I agree NagiAsu was over and not subtle in many regards, I'm also glad there quite a bit of subtleties in the show, just overshadowed by the emotional characters. There are much symbolism and parallelism one can draw from show that were in fact no told to the audience.

I also liked how each of the girls shared an aspect of the Ojoushi. And Hikari is easily the parallel to the Sea God.

Last edited by deadite; 2014-04-05 at 20:30.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 21:41   Link #3599
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Very nice observations. Now I see where the Sea God story may have tied in beautifully to the original narrative plan for this ending. Yes, the parallelism you're describing would have made NnA's ending feel much more organic and hence less arbitrary.
Thanks. It's something that a second watch of some episodes made me think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So here's my suspicion based on your observation - The original story concept just wasn't long enough to fill up 2 cours worth of episodes, so Miuna and Tsumugu/Chisaki were given added focus to make up the difference. The cost was the parallelism now falls flat, as you say. But I agree with you that the benefit outweighs the cost here - the Tsumugu/Chisaki arc was the most compelling romance arc in this show, imo.
I think Tsumugu/Chisaki would have happened in the end as well, because she had a parallelism too with Manaka as her foil, however it wouldn't be as compelling because it could be soulless without Tsumugu's feelings assured and only putting them in the back-burner for the sake of the fairytale (Chisaki definitely displayed far more overt interest in him during the scenes before the timeskip, for instance, than what could be construed as his interest until he informed us he fell for her in episode 4). I'm far more satisfied with the way their relationship came to be, so I'm in agreement with you.

@Arya: I'm not implying Miuna and Chisaki/Tsumugu were filler in the final product. They were not, I mean, that perhaps in the original planning stages (which only show three characters: Tsumugu, Manaka and Hikari) the Seagod-Ojoshi-sama resolution would be a mimic of rehearsal of the past but with a happy ending twist which makes the sea god be able to cope and move on.

It wasn't changed to fit the new narrative. Tsumugu/Chisaki was obviously going to happen, it could have been different, but the signs were set up early. Specially in Chisaki's side.

Miuna's 'lack of being loved' I don't know if it was any realistic trigger, or at least a smooth trigger that makes sense with the presented narrative. The reason why Manaka and Miuna connected was because they share something in common: their love for Hikari. That's why they could awake their ena and transmit feelings, however how could Miuna who has zero in common with the Ojoshi actually transmit and understand her feelings? It's even more damnable in logic when Manaka's the one who is telling what happened as if she had the connection. So there's a gap that seemed to happen just because.

Maybe if they changed the legend and had the Sea God actually suffer from unrequited love? That would fit it better with he finally understanding to let go thanks to Miuna, but otherwise it really doesn't make sense why their situation would be empathetic with theirs, you know?
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 01:57   Link #3600
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 28
From official twitter, in celebration of 40k followers

Images
Miuna kawayui
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.