AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-23, 12:28   Link #1661
Ramen00

The two that is sick, might mostly refer to Hikari and Kaname, since they've been left out behind times, sick might be referring to how they didn't aged and 5 years was just a day to them. You can think of it as a huge trauma or shock for them.
Ramen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 12:28   Link #1662
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hikari and Miuna have great chemistry. I honestly didn't expect them to get along so well, it feels like they've been friends for years. Hikari seems to have completely accepted Miuna as an equal, he doesn't see her as a little girl anymore. The road is still long before he sees Miuna as a potential love interest, but I'm hopeful the story will get there. There's no way he'll be able to ignore how cute Miuna is forever.

I was surprised they played out the uncle/niece angle. I wonder how relevant it's going to be, it looks like they're setting up yet another hurdle for Miuna to overcome (as if Manaka wasn't enough). Surely, the law can make an exception for them since they're completely unrelated by blood and they're the same age. I really don't see any problem with it.

The farting shoe was such an odd thing to add, but it helped lighten the atmosphere when it mattered so it was okay. It even got a laugh out of me, plus embarrased Miuna is adorable <3

I'm not sure what to make of Miuna receiving ena (from the sea god or Manaka, presumably). Is it going to be unique to her or is ena going to be bestowed to other humans too? Or perhaps only halfs like Miuna? It's hard to tell. This could be an alternative way to save everybody.

Kaname is back, and he seems as creepy as ever. The drama is about to get turned up to eleven. I hope he'll give up on Chisaki quickly and focus on Sayu, but obviously, it's not going to be that easy.
Old 2014-01-23, 12:47   Link #1663
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
Oh wow, Okada really did it. She let Kaname wake up alone and naked.

Confirmed for Okada's punching bag.
If he were Okada's punching bag, he'd be wearing Manaka's dress.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 14:26   Link #1664
Tenzen12
Banned

Considering nothing realy happened between Tsumugu and Chisaki yet, there is plenty of space for some twist, so I am not gona call Kaname punching bag yet either. But Hikary and Miyuna are item for me regardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
So did Miuna just magically grow Ena?
I think she indeed grew Ena magicaly. With sea people slowly returning (starting with Hikari and Kaname), I would say new age for them is comming even in this manner.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 14:32   Link #1665
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

So I'm a romantic. So sue me. Wonderful episode. Highly effective voice-acting from Komatsu Mikako (Miuna). But the voice I totally love is Ishihara Kaori's (Sayu). That squishiness and little catch...ahhh.

Miuna's real mother was from the sea also, wasn't she? So she could conceivably have a physiological adaptation that meant that when she was in the water and unable to breathe, some ena might form. Or it's the god helping her -- or even Manaka, Queen of the Sea helping her.

I might finally be coming to actually like Hikari. He's got a hard row to hoe.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2014-01-23 at 15:54.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 14:33   Link #1666
hai_san

Damn another cliffhanger... Kaname came back sooner than i expected. I thought there will be another 1-2 ep with development with Hikari and co before Kaname comes back. Well the storywriter doesn't waste any time.

The interesting and juicy part is just beginning to start... so Kaname will live with Tsumugu and Chisaki...
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 14:37   Link #1667
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Even if nothing happened between them (Chisaki and Tsumugu), the fact is Chisaki is a lot older than both Hikari and Kaname right now, and she must also have some good years of memories worth of Tsumugu whereas both Kaname and Hikari were... well, stuck in time. I don't envy Kaname's position at all, here. Before it was just Hikari, and once he and Manaka got together, there'd be a good chance she'd open up to Kaname. Now, however... I don't know.

Anyhow, it was a cute episode. I'm not the biggest Miuna/Sayu fan in the world, but Miuna in particular worked pretty well with Hikari. The latter, as always, keeps on showing just how much of an interesting character he really is. I'd never have expected the loud obnoxious kid from episode 1 to come all this way, but his growth has been steady throughout the whole show and I love it.

As for the little 'twist' at the end with Miuna in the water, that could be interesting. Makes me wonder what's the relation between the saltsnow and the (apparent) return of her Ena. Tsumugu's grandpa had said that the saltsnow might be only negative towards humans, but good for other things, so maybe those words are related to the current situation, and this whole thing of the surface getting hit by it is a means for the people who were born from fish people to recover their ena or whatever? I don't know. But I'm quite interested.
Old 2014-01-23, 14:44   Link #1668
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

I don't care about Saya but being invited to be a third wheel is just cruel so I'm glad she lashed out. Anyway I can't say I'm pleased about Miuna magically getting Ena, so now her and Hikari's children will be able to breath underwater, how convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Kaname still needs an uniform right? So he will end up wearing Chisaki's middle school uniform as it's the only one left in typical Okada fashion.
Old 2014-01-23, 15:36   Link #1669
ices
Monadically Happy

Wow, that escalated quickly. I don't know that Okada sensei will playing the uncle-niece card this early. It's like we are going up and up, slowly and steadily, in this roller coaster.... waiting for the highest possible turning point.

But man, that twist with Miuna gaining Ena, altough I've predicted from the start of the show, still surprise me. Repeating what I said before: Ena is like a gene that inherited from the sea-people. Miuna's mother from the sea and it makes her a half. She has the gene but it seems in this 14 year it was still dormant. Maybe the environment change, the sea god, or the sea goddess (uhm... Manaka) gives some push to that dormant gene and made her gain what sea-people called Ena.

Now, about Kaname returns, humm... I can't said anything. The roller coaster going up again. Yeah...yeah... "we're ready for the punch line, there no use for those useless gimmick." But I'll comment about what's probably the cause of his comeback.

So far it's just two sea-people that wakes up from their hibernation. The first one was Hikari in Episode 14 and the second one was Kaname in this episode. Although it's not enough, but let's just use this as evidence.

First, when they both show up, Miuna is around the sea. Second, Hikari shows up after Miuna comfronted with a love confession from her classmate (umm... Minegashi, right?). Thus bring her with a bottle up emotion of not wanting give up on her love for Hikari. Third, Kaname shows up after Miuna comfronted with her best friend Sayu. Which then made her realize how selfish she is, not noticing Sayu's feeling. Hence maybe she reflected with what happened and hoping for Kaname returns.

So, my point is, Miuna maybe the next sea god (or goddess) who has the power to revive those who hibernate in the sea. Now, you hear it first here
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 15:46   Link #1670
AyuAyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post

So, my point is, Miuna maybe the next sea god (or goddess) who has the power to revive those who hibernate in the sea. Now, you hear it first here
Interesting theory! So in the last episode Miuna realizes that Hikaru will always love Manaka and then she will come back, like the 2. OP suggests (Manaka catching the umbrella in the end).

About ChisakixTsumugu: I too am pretty sure she has feelings for him and poor Kaname will be the trigger for their relationship.

KuroFai is Canon! Accept it!
AyuAyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 17:07   Link #1671
Dawnstorm

We've got scientists examining the pheonomenon. And now that Miuna has gotten a dose of ena that let her swim underwater...

I sense Tsumugu's arc coming up.

Bascially, the sea people haven't been eating to amass ena. If Manaka's "sacrifice" (?) had an effect, they all might be waking up. Because Hikari and Kaname have been eating, their ena-coccoon would have been depleted first, so it would make sense for them to wake up first. The dispersing ena of waking up sea people could easily be swept up by currents, and that's what Miuna might have been caught up in. Her half-status might have let her bond with the ena.

Tsumugu is basically a quarter. So: self-experimentation? Is he going to do something reckless?
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 18:14   Link #1672
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I enjoyed Episode 16, and I think that Hikari and Miuna have good chemistry together when it comes to being fun to watch, but aside from that, my take is almost the complete opposite of Kanon's.

It seems to me like Miuna is really being setup to fail. That her character arc is likely going to be about dealing with unrequited love.

I think the Uncle/Niece relation may well end up being a big deal, and not just for "outsiders", but for Hikari himself. This episode is kind of foreshadowing that, I think, by focusing so much on it.

Yes, Hikari treats Miuna like a peer, because she basically is a peer to him now (i.e. the same age), but I think he also views her as a close relative, that's it. I get a strong vibe that Hikari just does not see her in any romantic or sexual light. Hikari's response to Miuna's holding hands suggestion demonstrates two things for me:

1) Zero sexual tension on Hikari's part. He was not at all shy about the idea, just...

2) Truly disgusted by it. "Us hold hands? Like on a date? But we're relatives! Eewwww..." was the vibe I saw with him. It was handled in Hikari's typical easy-breezy way, but that's still the feeling I took away there.

At this juncture, I suspect that Kazu-kun is right. Manaka will likely return, at some point, and Hikari will go rushing back to her. And Miuna will end up having to deal with unrequited love.

I do think, though, that at some point Miuna will not be able to just hide or subtly hint at her feelings for Hikari. I think at some point she sort of loses patience and blurts it out to him dramatically (this being Okada's style, I think). That'll probably be a cliffhanger for some future episode, and I expect Hikari to feel really awkward over it and try to let Miuna down easily.

This isn't what I want. I do like the idea of a Hikari/Miuna pairing, largely because that's what she wants, and she's probably my favorite character in the show at this point. But no matter what Miuna wants, or what I want, I can't deny the signals being sent here. It really does feel to me like Miuna is being setup for an unrequited love character arc, somewhat similar to a certain other famous PA Works/Okada heroine...
Old 2014-01-23, 18:39   Link #1673
Arya

So Kaname is back and he is as cool-headed as ever asking what day was
Poor kaname, apparently he will live with Tsumugu and Chisaki. Thinking about the title of the next episode the two who are sick could be him and Tsumugu that have to live with Chisaki who instead is still stuck with Hikari. Or so we should think, because sadly she didn't show up in this episode so we have to wait to know how she took Hikari's meeting.
I felt sorry for Sayu. Not a nice idea to invite her.
And about the ena, I can't figure out which is the point giving it to Miuna, if not for scenery reasons, so until they won't address it, I just hope that even Tsumugu could swim as her, but given how much he cared about that and how his path is, I bet he won't.
Still I'm curious to now when Hikari will say what he think is happened to Manaka. Sadly him and Tsumugu basically are ignoring each other for now. Bro's kind of ignoring I suppose. So maybe he will talk about that with Kaname.
Right. Kaname, I'm still thinking about him, naked. Alone. No Kaname-detector for him. I hope that Sayu will work it out in some ways.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 18:45   Link #1674
Haak
Forever Alone...

It's difficult to tell whether Miuna will get to be with Hikari, but I'm personally optimistic about her chances purely due to the fact that she has the main POV and narration (Hikari is no longer narrating). Historically, those that have the main POV in Okada shows always turn out successful in their romances (assuming Hikari didn't just set a new standard).
Old 2014-01-23, 18:49   Link #1675
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm rooting for Miuna.

*Crunchyroll subs* That holding hand scene was just Hikari thinking that she already has a boyfriend. He wasn't disgusted. It could be interpreted as jealousy. He also didn't want Saya present.

And since Tsugumu is 1/4 Sea Folk maybe he will get his ena also. That would be one way to repopulate the Sea Villages. Have all the 1/2s and 1/4s develop ena and come back to the village.
Old 2014-01-23, 19:19   Link #1676
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's difficult to tell whether Miuna will get to be with Hikari, but I'm personally optimistic about her chances purely due to the fact that she has the main POV and narration (Hikari is no longer narrating). Historically, those that have the main POV in Okada shows always turn out successful in their romances (assuming Hikari didn't just set a new standard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm rooting for Miuna.

*Crunchyroll subs* That holding hand scene was just Hikari thinking that she already has a boyfriend. He wasn't disgusted. It could be interpreted as jealousy. He also didn't want Saya present.

And since Tsugumu is 1/4 Sea Folk maybe he will get his ena also. That would be one way to repopulate the Sea Villages. Have all the 1/2s and 1/4s develop ena and come back to the village.

Sorry, guys, but I think you're engaging in some very wishful thinking here.

Could be interpreted as jealousy? No way, orion, there wasn't the slightest hint of jealousy to it. And contrary to what you're arguing, it could be interpreted as disgust, and that's the interpretation that makes the most sense to me. If he was just thinking that she already has a boyfriend, it would make more sense for him to say "Us hold hands? You really think your boyfriend would be Ok with that?"

And as for Miuna being the main POV character, that's certainly debatable. It may apply to the latest episode, but the one before it clearly had Hikari as the main POV character (with Miuna absent from a lot of scenes).

And let's not forget the oldest and most ironclad anime romance rule of them all - First girl wins. And who's the first girl? Manaka.

It's fine to be hopeful, but I really think that viewers should be prepared for things not going Miuna's way.
Old 2014-01-23, 19:35   Link #1677
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Miuna has Ena now? gg Manaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And let's not forget the oldest and most ironclad anime romance rule of them all - First girl wins. And who's the first girl? Manaka.
Except she was put on a bus. She's not even in the opening, aside sleeping in the ocean.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 19:41   Link #1678
Miraluka
18 forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
Oh wow, Okada really did it. She let Kaname wake up alone and naked.

Confirmed for Okada's punching bag.
Onore, Okada!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Okada: Not yet, not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I don't care about Saya but being invited to be a third wheel is just cruel so I'm glad she lashed out.
Good, I thought I was the only one who thinks like that.

Quote:
Kaname still needs an uniform right? So he will end up wearing Chisaki's middle school uniform as it's the only one left in typical Okada fashion.
Bullseye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
So Kaname is back and he is as cool-headed as ever asking what day was
As expected of him.

Quote:
Poor kaname, apparently he will live with Tsumugu and Chisaki. Thinking about the title of the next episode the two who are sick could be him and Tsumugu that have to live with Chisaki who instead is still stuck with Hikari. Or so we should think, because sadly she didn't show up in this episode so we have to wait to know how she took Hikari's meeting.
Suffering intensifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
He will impregnate all of the sea girls and at the same time destroy sea males' hearts. Everyone will be a Kaname.
Old 2014-01-23, 20:10   Link #1679
Tenzen12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sorry, guys, but I think you're engaging in some very wishful thinking here.

Could be interpreted as jealousy? No way, orion, there wasn't the slightest hint of jealousy to it. And contrary to what you're arguing, it could be interpreted as disgust, and that's the interpretation that makes the most sense to me. If he was just thinking that she already has a boyfriend, it would make more sense for him to say "Us hold hands? You really think your boyfriend would be Ok with that?"
As I see it your denial is as strong as other people wishfull thinking. There was no jelouse nor particular disgust. Despite of all Hikari development he is still brat and thus he would have big problem even if Manaka asked him do same. And didn't you mentioned he see her just like sister before anyway? In that case holding hands shouldn't be problem either.

Quote:
And as for Miuna being the main POV character, that's certainly debatable. It may apply to the latest episode, but the one before it clearly had Hikari as the main POV character (with Miuna absent from a lot of scenes).

It's fine to be hopeful, but I really think that viewers should be prepared for things not going Miuna's way.
It was Hikari before of Time-skip, but Myuna after that. It's that simple. Also don't forget there case when first girls doesn'T win. In these case there exist alternative law: "Last girl wins" for example.

In storytelling there no such thing as Ironclad rule. And you shouldn't forget whole that time-skip did massive boost to Myuna chancess as you don't have to be in same age category to have unriquired crush.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 20:23   Link #1680
Miraluka
18 forever

Hikari's actions are not natural.

Hikari just made a wall since he is just on a vulnerable situation after the 5 years. Remember the OP? He is faking how he feels now.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen