AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-26, 14:50   Link #261
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Actually, quite a few feminists would argue that those characters are sexist as well since it implies that a woman has to be exceptional to have any worth.
.
yep, I just try to ignore all the people that cry about gender roles like its some terrible sin best I can and just accept whatever characters are in the story.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 15:16   Link #262
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
To be honest you're overreacting massively here, parsing one statement I made in response to a specific citation of a different scene being sexist (which I argued was not) out of probably 20 paragraphs I've written on SAO in the last two days. Seriously - you're way, way out of line and completely out of context.

FTR, I still don't like that scene on its own terms. Asuna doing that was silly and demeaning and I don't give a rat's ass if that offends you. Making a comment about one moment in an episode isn't some kind of blanket political statement unless you come to the table looking to pick a fight.
Sorry if it seems like I overreacted (Am I not allowed to disagree with you?), but it does bother me when I perceive people trying to throw around comments like sexism over silly reasons. I haven't read absolutely everything you'd said about SAO, I just saw you say that one scene wasn't really sexist but that that this one appeared sexist to you. I personally see that as going over the line (And the reason I say this is because it wouldn't be the first time you brought up sexism in shows recently).

If you don't like the scene that's not my issue, I never bothered anyone here about disliking that scene.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2012-08-26 at 15:29.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:05   Link #263
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31
[mod edit: remove reference to conversation above]

also on a side note about the dagger blocking scene during the duel,

single faction mmo's with ffa pvp and collision detection on playermodels tend to work exactly LIKE it is shown during the duel, the dropped weapon was a bit much, but then again, we do not know how much impact froce from the weapons gets transmitted in VRMMO, but adding into other peoples duels is pretty common actually among griefers, most duels do not protect players from dmg from outside players, but only protect them from benefitial effects they would try to cast on them.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-26 at 17:23.
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:18   Link #264
Iron Maw
Devil Buster
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It would have been nice to see Asuna curb-stomp that guy, but can kind of get why. Besides the fact that the guy is creepy as hell there are more reasons why she'd just be holding herself back there. Probably thinks she's helped create intense guys like that because of how focused she's been and pushing people to clear the game. After helping create the atmosphere within that guild might not feel comfortable picking a fight with this guy. Plus already had that crowd gathering from the first spat between them and probably didn't want to cause more trouble by personally getting into another argument. Kirito is a solo player so less issue (especially if Asuna talks to the guild leader later) if he takes care of it.
Yeah, I get what they were going for, however Asuna's OoCness kinda of ruined it. Like Triple R said, had that been someone like Scillica or Liz I wouldn't of minded, but it just feels like the writer wanted an excuse for Kirito to show-off. Asuna seems to have known Kuradeel long enough to handle him without fretting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Of course would have liked her being able to handle it alone, but is in a party with Kirito so its ok to spread out the burdens . In terms of showing levels off I think that guy might still be dumb enough to pick the fight. Plus maybe Kirito was just getting tired of this guy as well. Demonstrating with force seems more effective anyways with that type.
True, but it makes you wonder how a guy like that got to be her escort

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Not that big a factor, we already know a common practice in PK guilds is to have a bunch of people that are green lead the target to a secluded spot for a bunch of orange players to get the jump on them.
Huh? I thought that was specific to Rosalia's group and why they were so successful.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:20   Link #265
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Huh? I thought that was specific to Rosalia's group and why they were so successful.
I am pretty sure ~10000 EVE Online players would dissagree with you, but no that's actualyl a pretty damn common tactic in FFA-MMO's
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:39   Link #266
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
True, but it makes you wonder how a guy like that got to be her escort
To be fair, you don't have someone who would be better off out clearing the game serving on bodyguard duty for your leaders. You assume your leaders can take care of themselves, and assign them lower-leveled members as bodyguards just in case stuff hits the fan. Having a second person around, just in case, is probably a fairly strong deterrent in a city.

In a front-line clearing party I'd assume Asuna would be fighting with the standard KoB fighters, who we saw in the opening minutes of the mystery arc and would be perfectly safe. It's in more casual situations that things could be awry.

Although... WHY she needs an escort now is a vastly more interesting question, and one likely not answered by the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocah View Post
How the hell can PoH (was his name even mentioned in the anime?) [laughing coffin leader] be in a city? (well, maybe he didn't PK for eons to get a green cursor again, but seems unlikely)
Probably exactly that. He couldn't enter the city if he was still orange, so he'd need to do whatever was required to clear his status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
I thought it was posted on Kawahara's twitter that the leader of LC was doing quests to grind off the <<infamy>>
well, nvm then, there's the answer ^^;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
But beyond that, the amount of money would be a deterrent, and right now, Kirito considers himself as poor, so he prolly has just enough col for his basic needs.
Kirito as an extremely powerful solo'er is probably stupidly wealthy... OTOH, as an avid MMO player (it's a safe assumption) he probably blows his money on silly things like new weapons / equipment pieces / and silly MMO fluff.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:40   Link #267
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Yeah, I get what they were going for, however Asuna's OoCness kinda of ruined it. Like Triple R said, had that been someone like Scillica or Liz I wouldn't of minded, but it just feels like the writer wanted an excuse for Kirito to show-off. Asuna seems to have known Kuradeel long enough to handle him without fretting.
It's not really OOC. She's as brave as you want when it comes to things she can hit, but some things creep her out, and when it comes to Kuradeel's face, I can see her point.

(More seriously, she was just at her wits' ends. She was as emphatic as she knew how to be short of taking him outside the zone and PKing him. It didn't deter him.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
To be fair, you don't have someone who would be better off out clearing the game serving on bodyguard duty for your leaders. You assume your leaders can take care of themselves, and assign them lower-leveled members as bodyguards just in case stuff hits the fan. Having a second person around, just in case, is probably a fairly strong deterrent in a city.

In a front-line clearing party I'd assume Asuna would be fighting with the standard KoB fighters, who we saw in the opening minutes of the mystery arc and would be perfectly safe. It's in more casual situations that things could be awry.

Although... WHY she needs an escort now is a vastly more interesting question, and one likely not answered by the anime.
Judging by Kuradeel's misplaced pride, it seems to be a mark of status more than anything. I suppose he could help her not get mobbed by autograph seekers, but that hasn't been shown to be a problem.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:46   Link #268
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's not really OOC. She's as brave as you want when it comes to things she can hit, but some things creep her out, and when it comes to Kuradeel's face, I can see her point.

(More seriously, she was just at her wits' ends. She was as emphatic as she knew how to be short of taking him outside the zone and PKing him. It didn't deter him.)

Judging by Kuradeel's misplaced pride, it seems to be a mark of status more than anything. I suppose he could help her not get mobbed by autograph seekers, but that hasn't been shown to be a problem.
Yup!

Since he's operating under orders from their boss, it's not like she can just dismiss him without potential political issues... and since she was complaining about the political issues in this very episode... it's likely an issue for her.

Just pointing out that Asuna did not have a bodyguard escort during the mystery arc, and if Kuradeel has been following her for the past month ('ish?) things may have gone awry in the KoB guild in that time. Sadly it'll probably never be brought up, but it is an interesting notion.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:49   Link #269
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Although... WHY she needs an escort now is a vastly more interesting question, and one likely not answered by the anime.
It's a question of logic honestly, very pretty girl, mmo, everyone uses their REAL appearences for avatar, male to female ratio, think that through and you got your answer
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:54   Link #270
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Dat FACE.... HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG~
Spoiler for Asuna Screenshot:


She's so KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~!!!!!

Poor Asuna. Stuck in a crappy guild that's going down a bad road, but her sense of obligation keeps her in it.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:54   Link #271
Lycodrake
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 22
7.3/10 for me on this episode.
The focus on Kirito and Asuna was wonderful, and finally getting to see this animated was joyous.

<<Magic Breast Grope>> at 14:00. Must be based on percent chance and factor in affection points.
__________________
Lycodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 16:59   Link #272
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
It's a question of logic honestly, very pretty girl, mmo, everyone uses their REAL appearences for avatar, male to female ratio, think that through and you got your answer
Not really. She wouldn't venture out of safe zones on her own, and as for cities, the most she risks is some griefing - if that actually happens and she can't get away, she can always call for help.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 17:19   Link #273
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31
It's nto about people wanting to hurt her, but more about keeping pubescent boys at bay.

Think about it, 2 years stuck in a virtual mmo, only one out of 4-6 people you meet is female, and only one 1 out of a hundred is as pretty as Asuna.

Famous girl gamers have alot of troubles in RL with e-stalkers and all that, just go to youtube, type Tankspot and Aliena, and go through the comments.
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 17:22   Link #274
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not really. She wouldn't venture out of safe zones on her own, and as for cities, the most she risks is some griefing - if that actually happens and she can't get away, she can always call for help.
True, but you know big guilds. Asuna, like Silica, is almost like a mascot for KoB. Naturally, with that kind of fame (and beauty), there's always creepy stalkers that could try to PK her or something. Since in town/cities it's possible for someone to literally create a wall of people to block someone's way, since players are protected within Inner Areas. If Asuna were alone, it would be possible (though unlikely with Asuna), that she could be forced into an Outer Area.

It's just unfortunate that her bodyguard was one of those creepy stalkers. The KoB recruitment personnel need to do better screening.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 17:28   Link #275
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
It's a question of logic honestly, very pretty girl, mmo, everyone uses their REAL appearences for avatar, male to female ratio, think that through and you got your answer
Highly logical yes, but rather boring
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 17:36   Link #276
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
True, but you know big guilds. Asuna, like Silica, is almost like a mascot for KoB. Naturally, with that kind of fame (and beauty), there's always creepy stalkers that could try to PK her or something. Since in town/cities it's possible for someone to literally create a wall of people to block someone's way, since players are protected within Inner Areas. If Asuna were alone, it would be possible (though unlikely with Asuna), that she could be forced into an Outer Area.

It's just unfortunate that her bodyguard was one of those creepy stalkers. The KoB recruitment personnel need to do better screening.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and I am pretty sure the game as it is right now lacks any form of customer support, as in no GM's to answer harrassment tickets, which would have been the thirst thing I would have recommended Asuna to do after she found out her bodyguard was stalking her, if it was a normal MMO. Another reason why the bodyguard would have been there.
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 17:51   Link #277
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's not really OOC. She's as brave as you want when it comes to things she can hit, but some things creep her out, and when it comes to Kuradeel's face, I can see her point.

(More seriously, she was just at her wits' ends. She was as emphatic as she knew how to be short of taking him outside the zone and PKing him. It didn't deter him.)
One other thing in addition to this. I am assuming that her intention all along was to get there, get Kirito, and run as fast as she could towards the dungeon (hoping perhaps that he wouldn't follow in the dungeon because he wasn't a high enough level to take it). But her and Kirito's accidental "close encounter" ended up slowing things down. Based on the gap in time between when she arrived on that floor and the guard did, it seemed like she had a head start, but now the head start was gone. So I saw her running behind Kirito as a sort of desperate "oh crap, now there's nowhere to run or hide" move. Hence she hides behind him because, well, it's better than coming face-to-face with that guy.

So, if you want to look at it that way, I don't think it was her running behind Kirito in particular, but it started much sooner when she decided to run away. You would think that a character like Asuna wouldn't have to run away... but she was being (rightfully?) chastised for being childish. Her hiding by Kirito is in the same vein: it's a sign of her being childish. As Kirito went on to explain later, perhaps she was being a bit childish to throw off her responsibilities for a day or two, but she had that right given all she's done to further progress in the game. In other words, no one has the right to lecture her about not taking the game seriously, her attitude on that one day notwithstanding.

So yeah... less sexism, but more childish behaviour from the moment she ran away. That combined with Kuradeel being creepy.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:02   Link #278
Lycodrake
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So yeah... less sexism, but more childish behaviour from the moment she ran away. That combined with Kuradeel being creepy.
Agreed on all points.
And, given that Kirito and Asuna have entrusted each other with their lives before, it isn't unreasonable or OOC for her to do what she did.
Kuradeel, at that point, was crossing lines and she wanted something done, but felt freaked out and desperate by that point.

...if I worded that correctly.
__________________
Lycodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:16   Link #279
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
One other thing in addition to this. I am assuming that her intention all along was to get there, get Kirito, and run as fast as she could towards the dungeon (hoping perhaps that he wouldn't follow in the dungeon because he wasn't a high enough level to take it). But her and Kirito's accidental "close encounter" ended up slowing things down. Based on the gap in time between when she arrived on that floor and the guard did, it seemed like she had a head start, but now the head start was gone. So I saw her running behind Kirito as a sort of desperate "oh crap, now there's nowhere to run or hide" move. Hence she hides behind him because, well, it's better than coming face-to-face with that guy.

So, if you want to look at it that way, I don't think it was her running behind Kirito in particular, but it started much sooner when she decided to run away. You would think that a character like Asuna wouldn't have to run away... but she was being (rightfully?) chastised for being childish. Her hiding by Kirito is in the same vein: it's a sign of her being childish. As Kirito went on to explain later, perhaps she was being a bit childish to throw off her responsibilities for a day or two, but she had that right given all she's done to further progress in the game. In other words, no one has the right to lecture her about not taking the game seriously, her attitude on that one day notwithstanding.

So yeah... less sexism, but more childish behaviour from the moment she ran away. That combined with Kuradeel being creepy.

Excellent synopsis.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:27   Link #280
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
I'd wager that for a one hit kill scenario to even be plausible, you'd have to be doing some ridiculous duel where one person is one upping the other guy by like 20+ levels and have vastly superior equipment and skills.

Given that the duel ends after someone drops below 50% either the player would need to do the full 100% damage in the opening hit, or they'd have to deal a full 50%+ damage in the final strike if they could get their opponent to the minimum damage that doesn't end the duel. While I suppose it's possible, if the game itself is fair, two people duelling at relatively close levels shouldn't be able to do that.
Considering that there exists something called the "sleep pk" exploit that makes people fearful of simply falling asleep anywhere in a safe zone, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a possibility. What's to say that an opponent couldn't just specialize in armor breaking techs and poke at the opponent with off-hits till they're near 50%, then break/disarm? their armor and just deal the finishing blow on an essentially 0def opponent?

Just a farfetched scenario, but still.
__________________
Eclipze is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.