AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-23, 22:32   Link #701
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
93.4% of the 47% don't pay taxes, not because they take advantages of deductions and exemptions, but because the amount of their income falls below a taxable threshold. 93.4% of 47% still means that 44% of Americans are getting government benefits paid for by other taxpayers.
Just a couple of add-ons to fill in the blank to complete your posted facts: 93.4% of the 47% don't pay Federal taxes, not because they take advantages of deductions and exemptions, but because the amount of their income falls below a taxable threshold. What it is telling you and me is that these people are making so little money that they can barely sustain themselves with it, let alone pay a tax on that income. These people are still paying some form of taxes in the states/city/town they live in the ways of sales tax, tolls, etc. At the end of the day, the money they are earning still isn't enough to cover the total cost of food and shelter (the two most basic need of any human being) without some kind of assistance.

Quote:
the other 6.6% of the 47% (3% of total taxpayers) use perfectly legal methods of avoiding taxes. Many do so with tax-free municipal bonds that were created so cities and states could raise revenue for schools, roads, and bridges. the bond buyers are actually helping communities by purchasing bonds that pay a lower interest rate. congress gave these bonds taxfree status for just that reason.
you can legislate these away if you like, but just watch... communities get hurt in the process.
That's a bit of a naive outlook considering almost every state in the United States has been struggling for the last decade or so to raise money to balance their budgets. That 3% of the rich buying those bonds because it helps them with their deduction to reduce the taxable income, not because they want to help the states and cities from the goodness of their heart. Even then, if you go state by state, bond buying isn't creating that much of dent to effect a state's projected budget. These states still need to raise money via tolls, tickets/infractions, sales tax, property tax, state tax, town tax, city tax, etc. etc. to raise that money and they are still broke. Now imagine if you live-in-poor in a state like Alabama, or Mississippi...... Can you name the top five states where most of these 47% moochers that are leeching of the taxpaying, bond-buying citizens like me and you live in? Here they are in the following:

1. Mississippi - 44.5%
2. Georgia - 42.5%
3. Alabama - 40.3%
4. Florida - 39%
5. Arkansas - 38.8%

Here is a link with a overall outlook (along with a map) of where a whole lot of these non-payers live. Come election time, a lot of these non-paying leeches will still be voting Republicans if we go by the trend of the last three decades or so........
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2012-09-23, 23:42   Link #702
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Is Barack Obama a Tory?

For those unfamiliar with the word Tory, it's a nickname given to the British Conservative party.
The article is interesting as many are seeing Obama as a true Conservative like those European parties unlike the American Conservatives who they see as more an Objectivist party.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 02:57   Link #703
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I doubt than you could remove all thoses loopholes, given their numbers. Plus a few of them aren't that hated, or even positive, like the deduction for donation to charity.
I dare say they're all loved by someone.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 08:09   Link #704
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Analysis: For Romney, some troubling signs among older voters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88N04Z20120924
Quote:
Analysts say that if Romney cannot reverse the trend among older voters, he won't win on November 6.
"If Romney loses seniors, he loses this election, period," said Jonathan Oberlander, a health policy specialist at the University of North Carolina. "A bad showing nationally (among older voters) does not bode well for Florida and other states with big senior populations."
Edit: Obama Refers to Israel Concern Over Iran as 'Noise' Calls Israel "one of our closest allies in the region."
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...se_652967.html
Quote:
"When it comes to our national security decisions—any pressure that I feel is simply to do what's right for the American people. And I am going to block out—any noise that's out there. Now I feel an obligation, not pressure but obligation, to make sure that we're in close consultation with the Israelis—on these issues. Because it affects them deeply. They're one of our closest allies in the region. And we’ve got an Iranian regime that has said horrible things that directly threaten Israel’s existence."
Noise wasn't probably the best choice of word.
__________________


Last edited by ganbaru; 2012-09-24 at 09:26.
ganbaru is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 09:46   Link #705
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
...Yeah, that was pretty bad. I can see the Republicans jumping all over that to try and deflect the spotlight away from the fire Romney is trying to put out.
Destined_Fate is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 10:32   Link #706
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Edit: Obama Refers to Israel Concern Over Iran as 'Noise' Calls Israel "one of our closest allies in the region."
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...se_652967.html
Noise wasn't probably the best choice of word.
Why isn't it? America is independent, noise is noise.

I seriously would have used more insulting terms if someone is demanding that I fight their wars for them.

Imagine if Japan demand America send the Pacific Fleet to guard the Senkaku islands? That's noise too.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 10:54   Link #707
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Why isn't it? America is independent, noise is noise.
Because to the GOP, Israel is like the golden goose. It lays its golden eggs (war/instability in the middle east), and you collect it. Obama dared to say its... quack? Do geese quack? Anyway, dared to say it was mere noise!
GDB is online now  
Old 2012-09-24, 10:59   Link #708
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Because to the GOP, Israel is like the golden goose. It lays its golden eggs (war/instability in the middle east), and you collect it. Obama dared to say its... quack? Do geese quack? Anyway, dared to say it was mere noise!
I am hoping that just like "Obamacare", Obama wear GOP insults on this matter like a badge of honour. Pre-emptive attacking Iran is not what the voters want, and Obama should know that.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 11:18   Link #709
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Is Barack Obama a Tory?

For those unfamiliar with the word Tory, it's a nickname given to the British Conservative party.
The article is interesting as many are seeing Obama as a true Conservative like those European parties unlike the American Conservatives who they see as more an Objectivist party.
It's also the nickname we in Canada give to our Conservative party that's in power right now. They tend to focus more on fiscal conservatism than social conservatism though they do a bit of the latter too. What they don't seem to do is have it in for the middle class in quite the same way the Republicans do and they've always seemed to be about Business as opposed to just big business.

I still don't like them very much at all nor our Prime Minister Stephen Harper, but I kind of acknowledge that they're probably the right party to have in power during this recession.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 12:15   Link #710
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Why isn't it? America is independent, noise is noise.

I seriously would have used more insulting terms if someone is demanding that I fight their wars for them.

Imagine if Japan demand America send the Pacific Fleet to guard the Senkaku islands? That's noise too.

It isn't like I don't care about the people of Israel, because I do, but when you think about it, most Americans who care so much about Israel, they are Christians, and they care so much because of end of the world prophecies, and when you put it that way, well, that sounds scary! There are political reasons, too, but the underlying reason why we support Israel so much is because of prophecies about the end of the world.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 12:19   Link #711
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Where the end of the world is somehow considered a good thing. Crazy.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 12:28   Link #712
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Edit: Obama Refers to Israel Concern Over Iran as 'Noise' Calls Israel "one of our closest allies in the region."
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...se_652967.html
Noise wasn't probably the best choice of word.
Actually it IS noise. I don't think a moderate Mossad would actually lase the Bushehr for a missile strike, yet. They will just be watching......and look for opportunities to turn the moderate Iranians against the hardcore IRGC and the fake mullahs running it.

They already saw that bombing the scientists was a bad idea - it almost turned the moderates and the Green Revolution activists against them. This requires careful treading.........and making the Iranians blow up their plant themselves.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 13:12   Link #713
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Where the end of the world is somehow considered a good thing. Crazy.
It would certainly solve the economic crisis...
james0246 is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 13:20   Link #714
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually it IS noise. I don't think a moderate Mossad would actually lase the Bushehr for a missile strike, yet. They will just be watching......and look for opportunities to turn the moderate Iranians against the hardcore IRGC and the fake mullahs running it.

They already saw that bombing the scientists was a bad idea - it almost turned the moderates and the Green Revolution activists against them. This requires careful treading.........and making the Iranians blow up their plant themselves.
See, but because all that fear of invasion and/or attack is actually uniting Iran. People revolt if they live under martial law too long when everything is peaceful. But if there is a clear threat then people are willing to trade some freedom for unity.

Iranians will never self destruct for as long as Israel threatened to attack.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 13:34   Link #715
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
"We've always been at war with Oceania" ....
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 13:36   Link #716
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Except that in this case, Israeli threat is a quite demonstrable fact.
__________________
Ridwan is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 14:11   Link #717
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I still don't like them very much at all nor our Prime Minister Stephen Harper, but I kind of acknowledge that they're probably the right party to have in power during this recession.
I would have to dissagree; much of the mesure than got us pretty much out of the trouble when the US and the EU economy whent down, were passed by Liberal gouvernment under Chrétien and Martin.
As far as the economy side Harper would act much like a Republican ( and a Republican than want to work on the provincial juridiction) if he could.

@ Aegir, both the Israeli and Iranian threat are pretty much created by each other.
__________________

ganbaru is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 14:35   Link #718
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Of course it is. But it's still funny to think that Iranian influence only started expanding because of Israel's persistence to see itself as the only regional power around.
__________________
Ridwan is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 15:18   Link #719
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Of course it is. But it's still funny to think that Iranian influence only started expanding because of Israel's persistence to see itself as the only regional power around.
It doesn't. It only sees itself as the lonely regional power around, one literally without friends on every border until the dramatic rapprochement with Egypt. Why else would Israel consider US-Israeli relations to be so paramount? Some of them are close to castrating their dear Prime Minister over the dangerous game he's trying to play with the US.

Israel has no aspirations towards a dominant position in the Middle East, it's far too hated by everybody else for that; what it wants is that no other regional power could become dominant enough to threaten its very existence, either by nuclear threat or by rallying the other nations in the Middle East the way Nasser's Egypt did. If anything, Iran is the power that is trying to (re-)assert its historic role as one of the centers of Middle Eastern power politics over the oil-soaked Gulf states/Saudi Arabia. It's also almost as isolated as Israel compared to the Arab mainstream, being Shiite and Iranian, hence the jealous and, IMO counterproductive support of its few allies like Hezbollah, Assad, and (not quite as counterproductive) the Shiites of Iraq.

To blame Iran's geopolitical ambitions on Israeli "ambition" is wrong. To argue that it was motivated partly by fear of Israel's military might, and greatly aided in this aspiration by assuming the mantle of anti-Israel hatred, would be more correct.
Irenicus is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 15:24   Link #720
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Romney must be this stupid. Read what he said here, and think about it:

Spoiler:
Kyuu is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.