AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 112 60.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.80%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.09%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-03, 15:51   Link #461
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
Edit: Or being able to have such a high reaction that he is able to be the one controlling his skills.
Well this is a game where the players minds are completely submerged into it and if the close up at all the programming books Kirito had on his desk in episode one is anything to go by then it stands to reason that Kirito is a very intellectually sound individual. So maybe he can think as fast as the game itself.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 15:58   Link #462
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post


Yeah, that's totally wrong. The average female player is not playing with a female avatar, isn't telling everyone in the world they're female, and is just like everyone else.

You'll get guild mates who are female who will speak up about it, or that rare female voice in vent... but their are a LOT of guys who play MMO's who are so desperate to spend time with a member of the fairer sex that they ruin it for everyone else. I'd totally believe those numbers.

Now they're not playing Eve Online with me, but in my FFXI guild we've got a pretty fair male/female mix.
Well, I did mention it was only in my gaming experience, not saying it's wrong what was said. I never actually asked those girls if they were female or male, they would just speak to me, and after a year or so I'd ask them, or had them to chat with the guild in skype or w.e.
But I did say that it could be possible to be even 50% girls playing - all kinds of games -, so I guess atleast anyone knows I don't think girls shouldn't play games, right?
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 15:58   Link #463
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well this is a game where the players minds are completely submerged into it and if the close up at all the programming books Kirito had on his desk in episode one is anything to go by then it stands to reason that Kirito is a very intellectually sound individual. So maybe he can think as fast as the game itself.
Your bodies reactions don't matter in a game where you mind is the medium, so your reaction time could be pretty damn quick.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 15:59   Link #464
Xaturas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
I don't want to be seen as sexist or anything, but I can't really think 40% of MMO gamers are women...they could be like, 30% or 25%, but 40%...I can't really feel like it.
I've played many MMOs and I'd only met a few girls...In Metin I've only met about 15 women out of...well...you know about 2000 + players? ( I'm not saying those girls I see are the only one that exist )
However, I do think if we put all games together, and not MMOs only, it is possible that girls are 40% of the players ( or maybe even 50% ). But in MMOs...I don't think it can really be true...not to mention those studies were about 4 years ago or 3, it may have changed drastically, so I won't say it was wrong. Neither could I say it was wrong even if it was made today. It's just me guessing, from MMO games experiences I've had...I can't help but feel there are 70% + male gamers...Maybe I'm just stupid for thinking this, but well...
Its whole MMO market, not just MMORPG which meetin is. Obviously rpg's will have less women. Though there is a lot of MMO games which doesn't have any rpg element at all, most of women may be there as much as we care.

And really guys obviously there will be a lot of older people. Its future for God sake, most of us will still randomly play games/read manga/watch anime or do other stupid *kidz stuff*. Maybe not as often as now, but it will still be one of our hobbies, that is if its our hobby now. Unless you will be filthy rich and play golf with other big fishes.
__________________
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:00   Link #465
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
Well, I did mention it was only in my gaming experience, not saying it's wrong what was said. I never actually asked those girls if they were female or male, they would just speak to me, and after a year or so I'd ask them, or had them to chat with the guild in skype or w.e.
But I did say that it could be possible to be even 50% girls playing - all kinds of games -, so I guess atleast anyone knows I don't think girls shouldn't play games, right?
Not saying you're sexist... in fact the demographic is more heavily skewed to females for the 'light games', the old popcap games, bejewled, and what not. I used to work in that industry, so I've seen the numbers.

But there definitely are a lot of girl MMO gamers out there who just never admit they're female, or who have very broken microphones and can't hop on Skype.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:04   Link #466
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Not saying you're sexist... in fact the demographic is more heavily skewed to females for the 'light games', the old popcap games, bejewled, and what not. I used to work in that industry, so I've seen the numbers.

But there definitely are a lot of girl MMO gamers out there who just never admit they're female, or who have very broken microphones and can't hop on Skype.
No no no, I just said that to make sure nobody would get me wrong.
In fact, I think more girls should play games, the way it is for now atleast it makes me feel like I'm some kind of heavily gamer who doesn't care about life and only that kind of people play this ( Not saying everyone is a no-lifer, just saying it makes me feel that way, and I wouldnt' dare to say anyone is a no-lifer )
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:09   Link #467
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
I find cool both Kuroyukihime from AW and Kirito from this series, obviously, have Starbust Stream as their special skill.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:19   Link #468
RDF2050
Gundam Meister
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 24
What happen to Kirito's Auto regen ability (Episode 4: The Black Sword-man)? The episode show Kirito with a red HP bar but he should be able to recover at least something every ten seconds.
__________________
RDF2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:19   Link #469
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
I don't want to be seen as sexist or anything, but I can't really think 40% of MMO gamers are women...they could be like, 30% or 25%, but 40%...I can't really feel like it.
I've played many MMOs and I'd only met a few girls...In Metin I've only met about 15 women out of...well...you know about 2000 + players? ( I'm not saying those girls I see are the only one that exist )
However, I do think if we put all games together, and not MMOs only, it is possible that girls are 40% of the players ( or maybe even 50% ). But in MMOs...I don't think it can really be true...not to mention those studies were about 4 years ago or 3, it may have changed drastically, so I won't say it was wrong. Neither could I say it was wrong even if it was made today. It's just me guessing, from MMO games experiences I've had...I can't help but feel there are 70% + male gamers...Maybe I'm just stupid for thinking this, but well...
Well, obviously I can't verify the accuracy of the study, but I'd imagine it depends a lot on what game you're talking about and where you live and all that. Somehow I doubt it would suddenly skew towards male players within the last few years though. If anything, it would move in the other direction.

Based on my own personal experience though, it sounds about right. My World of Warcraft guild is about 40% women. Oddly enough, 3/4 of them are healers...
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:22   Link #470
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
What happen to Kirito's Auto regen ability (Episode 4: The Black Sword-man)? The episode show Kirito with a red HP bar but he should be able to recover at least something every ten seconds.
It's called Battle Regen, IIRC, so maybe it only works in battle? dunno though.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:29   Link #471
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
Maybe it only does the regen every 10 seconds? If the ten seconds haven't passed, then it won't do that healing...
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:34   Link #472
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
What happen to Kirito's Auto regen ability (Episode 4: The Black Sword-man)? The episode show Kirito with a red HP bar but he should be able to recover at least something every ten seconds.
An explaination could be his battle regen heals ~600 every ten seconds, while his HP could be like 60000, so it'd heal for 1% of his maximum HP?

I think it was implied he unconscious for only a few seconds, and in games you are HP critical if its below ~20%-30%. If he regenerates 2%-5% every ten seconds, he'd need a couple of minutes.

The boss could also have left a debuff, reducing healing received?
__________________
Awrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:38   Link #473
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Looks like I'm the only one here who thought that the boss battle here was simply stupid.

Now don't get me wrong. It's not like the boss itself was bad, quite the opposite. We now have a boss that is much bigger, badder, fiercer, tougher (4 huge health bars) etc. - and he surely looks like it. It's no wonder Kirino and Asuna ran like heel when they first saw it. Plus, as an added nastyness, transport crystals don't work (which isn't quite as bad as back in that treasure chamber, as you can still walk out of the door).

Then we have the commander of that Aincrad Liberation Front with his totally exhausted men. Apparently they haven't been on the front lines for some time now.
Insane as the commander is, he has his totally exhausted men fight the uber-fierce boss. Naturally, this ends in a total disaster, with the men not even being able to put a dent into the boss.

Asuna, Kirito and Klein arrive at the scene, hearing the screams, seeing the men fighting a hopeless fight. Asuna is the only one with enough guts to join the fight, so they can rescue the remaining men still alive. Also here, they can't really harm the boss much with their attacks.

So far, so good. No surprises there. When it looks like Asuna, Klein and Kirito bite off more than they can chew with the uber-fierce boss, what happens? Super-Kirito to the rescue! XD
Super-Kirito pulls an ominous, convenient super-skill out of his super-ass!
Since he's so terrified of others finding out, he hasn't been using it since it suddenly appeared half a year ago. (Also ludicrous, especially in a fight for life and death, where you would use every little bit to increase your chance for survival. Besides, the author apparently lacked the wits to come up with a good reason for the skill appearing, so we just have a "Suddenly, Icecones!" bit here.) Then Super-Kirito uses his super-skill, which he never used before, takes out his second super-sword, which he also never used before, and attacks the uber-fierce boss.

Now what would I have expected? While Super-Kirito attacks the boss with his super-asspull skill and his two super-swords, Asuna and Klein get the remaining men into safety. Kirito harms the boss badly, making it lose at most half o the fourth bar (which would be a huge improvement over before already), but gets hurt badly as well and barely makes it out alive. Later, they come back with a huge party, at least a dozen people, and after a very long and arduous battle, during which quite possibly one or more die because the boss is simply that strong, they eventually can defeat it.

Now what happens instead? Super-Kirito with his super-asspull skill which he never used before and his super second sword, which he also never used before, simply cuts the uber-firece boss into schnitzels in no time whatsoever. Whee!

That was by far the biggest "what the fook!?" moment in the series so far. This can only mean one of two things:
1. The game is saying, "Lol, I was just trolling you. Despite pretending to have four huge health bars, the monster is actually very weak, made of papier mâché, and can be cut down easily."
2. Kirito is way more ludicrously overpowered than it appeared before. On the next boss battle, a skill named "Gleam Eyes" will suddenly appear in Kirito's skill list. Upon using it, Kirito's eyes light up, he shouts "Imma firin mah laser!", shoots lasers out of his eyes at the boss, and the boss dies That wouldn't be any more stupid than this boss battle.

I've seen several instances of shoddy storytelling in this series already, but this one certainly took the cake. The series is in clear B-movie territory now, and if it goes on like this, it'll turn into a veritable Plan 9 from Outer Space of the anime world
I'll continue watching this to see how stupid it can still get. That, and Asuna, who is one of the few saving graces of the series.
__________________
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:40   Link #474
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Its whole MMO market, not just MMORPG which meetin is. Obviously rpg's will have less women. Though there is a lot of MMO games which doesn't have any rpg element at all, most of women may be there as much as we care.

And really guys obviously there will be a lot of older people. Its future for God sake, most of us will still randomly play games/read manga/watch anime or do other stupid *kidz stuff*. Maybe not as often as now, but it will still be one of our hobbies, that is if its our hobby now. Unless you will be filthy rich and play golf with other big fishes.
I know it's the whole MMO market, but since I haven't played much more other than RPG, only a few which weren't, I can only base myself on those I played...I can't really say it's not true that 40% are women when playing MMOs, just saying it is my experience. Sorry if I did it seem like it was the other way.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:45   Link #475
Krono
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Looks like I'm the only one here who thought that the boss battle here was simply stupid.

Now don't get me wrong. It's not like the boss itself was bad, quite the opposite. We now have a boss that is much bigger, badder, fiercer, tougher (4 huge health bars) etc. - and he surely looks like it. It's no wonder Kirino and Asuna ran like heel when they first saw it. Plus, as an added nastyness, transport crystals don't work (which isn't quite as bad as back in that treasure chamber, as you can still walk out of the door).

Then we have the commander of that Aincrad Liberation Front with his totally exhausted men. Apparently they haven't been on the front lines for some time now.
Insane as the commander is, he has his totally exhausted men fight the uber-fierce boss. Naturally, this ends in a total disaster, with the men not even being able to put a dent into the boss.

Asuna, Kirito and Klein arrive at the scene, hearing the screams, seeing the men fighting a hopeless fight. Asuna is the only one with enough guts to join the fight, so they can rescue the remaining men still alive. Also here, they can't really harm the boss much with their attacks.

So far, so good. No surprises there. When it looks like Asuna, Klein and Kirito bite off more than they can chew with the uber-fierce boss, what happens? Super-Kirito to the rescue! XD
Super-Kirito pulls an ominous, convenient super-skill out of his super-ass!
Since he's so terrified of others finding out, he hasn't been using it since it suddenly appeared half a year ago. (Also ludicrous, especially in a fight for life and death, where you would use every little bit to increase your chance for survival. Besides, the author apparently lacked the wits to come up with a good reason for the skill appearing, so we just have a "Suddenly, Icecones!" bit here.) Then Super-Kirito uses his super-skill, which he never used before, takes out his second super-sword, which he also never used before, and attacks the uber-fierce boss.

Now what would I have expected? While Super-Kirito attacks the boss with his super-asspull skill and his two super-swords, Asuna and Klein get the remaining men into safety. Kirito harms the boss badly, making it lose at most half o the fourth bar (which would be a huge improvement over before already), but gets hurt badly as well and barely makes it out alive. Later, they come back with a huge party, at least a dozen people, and after a very long and arduous battle, during which quite possibly one or more die because the boss is simply that strong, they eventually can defeat it.

Now what happens instead? Super-Kirito with his super-asspull skill which he never used before and his super second sword, which he also never used before, simply cuts the uber-firece boss into schnitzels in no time whatsoever. Whee!
If you payed attention, you would have noticed that the army reduced the boss from 4 health bars to 3 health bars, and that his "second super-sword" was the one Liz made for him a couple of episodes ago to match the one we've been seeing him use.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:46   Link #476
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
<wall of text, scroll up>
Looks to me like he never NEEDED to use that skill before. Which obviously is why he never used it before. It's already been established that Kirito already is possibly the strongest player in the game, so why would he use a skill that's not necessary to use? Just to show off?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:49   Link #477
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Looks like I'm the only one here who thought that the boss battle here was simply stupid.
Redacted the silly bits, which was most of the post, but I can address the bits you're just blatantly wrong on ^^

Err, every boss to date (well, both of them I guess) have had 4 health bars... And it's not like Kirito hasn't already solo'ed a Raid boss so that's not terribly surprising that he could kill one that was weakened by 12+ other players.

Also, comparing the Ep2 boss room to this boss'es room, it's fairly obvious you aren't going to be able to cram 48 some-odd people into that room, so it's probably a weaker boss to balance the new mechanic.

And the Army people knocked it's health down by 25%... that's more than a simple dent. And I'm fairly certain Asuna landed five pretty powerful hits on the boss... we just didn't see his health bar, so we don't know how much HP he lost.

But hey, if you're watching the show just to pick faults, you'll find a ton... so keep enjoying it
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 16:52   Link #478
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
For the record, I thought the boss fight was pretty stupid too. One skill shouldn't make that much difference, no matter how rare.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 17:03   Link #479
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
For the record, I thought the boss fight was pretty stupid too. One skill shouldn't make that much difference, no matter how rare.
Oh, that on its own is arguably a valid argument. Although to be fair it wasn't a skill that allowed him an instant win. YMMV
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 17:05   Link #480
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
For the record, I thought the boss fight was pretty stupid too. One skill shouldn't make that much difference, no matter how rare.
Is this a MMO balance discussion thread, or discussing how we enjoyed an episode of anime?

For a MMO balance discussion they all should have died, re-spawned back in town, and tried it again with a larger group of players.

From the confines of the SAO world, when you consider just how small the room was, and how tough it'd be to cram a full raid group in there, it makes more sense. Add to that the fact that most MMO's with gimmicky bosses, said bosses tend to be easier...

From the "how cool was it", well, it's surely silly, but I thought it was cool as hell, so my enjoyment beat out the "meh, it'd never happen that way".
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.