AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 112 60.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.80%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.09%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-01, 19:26   Link #101
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I really don't get it: why would the "dual wield skill" itself be considered unique, if anyone can wield?
I would understand if the unique skill was that Star Burst Stream, but dual wielding? As far as it goes, the anime shows that the act of using 2 weapons at the same time is not usual, considering both Asuna and Klein were shocked to see that.

Is there a specific part of the LN that explains the characteristic and "unique" aspect of the skill? because it doesn't make sense that anyone could wield 2 weapons.
Maybe only dual wielding techniques work when you are holding two swords?
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:26   Link #102
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
The only episode I saw someone dual wield was episode 4, but I guess that was anime only, the staff simply made a mistake.
Spoiler for Dual Blades:

Edit: took too long
That's what I thought, but other LN readers state otherwise: that dual wielding itself is possible (as in: having 2 weapons equipped at the same time), but you can't do anything much with the off hand weapon.
There is a huge difference between impossibility and ineffiency.

Hence why a proper description from the LN might help in understanding that, since they basically skipped the details for the next plot point.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:27   Link #103
RDF2050
Gundam Meister

Quote:
I really don't get it: why would the "dual wield skill" itself be considered unique, if anyone can wield?
I would understand if the unique skill was that Star Burst Stream, but dual wielding? As far as it goes, the anime shows that the act of using 2 weapons at the same time is not usual, considering both Asuna and Klein were shocked to see that.

Is there a specific part of the LN that explains the characteristic and "unique" aspect of the skill? because it doesn't make sense that anyone could wield 2 weapons.
Spoiler for LN:

I have been waiting for this episode since I read the LN. Hopefully they keep adapting the following episodes as closer as to what LN is.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:29   Link #104
StellarCell
시논 짱!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
actually I consider Asuna pretty strong for a girl player, especially in mmorpg without level limit, I mean nowadays I don't recall any mmorpg which can't be maxed out in 2 years, there were a lot of them back then in early 2000 XD, and in those games usually guys out level girls by a lot.

back then I could play like 48h nonstop (eating instant noodles while playing) then took a bath for 15min, sleep for 4-5h, after that continue the cycle for a month or two.
It's different when your life is on the line I guess, and judging from Asuna's personality she wouldn't just give up.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:32   Link #105
dmaxzero

Its good to remember that if the fight would have been done normaly most likely 10 high lvl front liners with shields, plus a lot of switch, it would have been done smooth and cool.
Asuna is a subleader of a very efficient guild, meaning she is backed up by shields, greatswords, spears and tactics--- they always do boss tactics meetings, etc. So of course you have an asuna that may be stronger than most, but she is not a soloer, she does not work like that. And the other thing is that Kirito dual sword skill is haxed to say at least... any way, just keep watching the series... next chap should be interesting as well.

I found pretty neat some details, like the flashbacks, and when he fainted he saw Sachi calling him, very touching. having Liz in Egil store was a plus as well... pretty good- What was a weird was the pacing of the last 3 minutes, they simple squished a whole LN chaper in 3 minutes... seriously.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:35   Link #106
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So, in other words, because there are skills specific to single sword use, there wouldn't be any advantage to dual-wielding, and in fact you might put yourself at a disadvantage. So, only because Kirito has that skill is there an advantage to dual-wielding. Anyone else could do it if they want, but it'd only be "to look cool". (Which could explain why that goon did it in Episode 4.)
Exactly. Although.. That was just my interpretation of it. And Arwya's posts makes me think that it could be wrong.. Sigh. I guess I'll have to re-read a few chapters of the L/Ns.

Edit: I read 3 chapters wherein the Dual Blades skill was talked about.. and I couldn't find anything noteworthy. I guess the problem is that it was wasn't fully explained, and thus was left open to interpretation..
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:36   Link #107
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Just finished the episode a while ago. It was fascinating, and I greatly enjoyed it. The fight scene was animated well, and I cannot express just how exciting it was to see Kirito holding his ground against the boss. The part where he came rushing and changed his grip on his sword, and parried the thrust before it hit Asuna was a delightful sight. The angle of the shots during the battle was good, and the BGM that played made the entire scene extremely breathtaking. That was a close-call though. Kirito only had a tiny bit of HP left at the end.

I find it cute how Asuna kept on clinging on to him for a long time. Ah, those two make such adorable couple. As for the duel, I can't keep my excitement in control. Hmmm... Even if Kirito loses, its not like he'll be separated from Asuna, right? right? Those two always comes as a set no matter what, right?
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:36   Link #108
Adigard

Quote:

I think it's brought up somewhere that people could use dual blades (IIRC) but that the human reflexes just weren't up to using them efficiently, and there were no sword skills that took advantage of the second weapon.

IE - you use a sword skill, you land your hit on the monster... short cool down while you prepare the next strike. You now have a choice... Do you (in the WoW parlance someone else used) use a single 'white hit' for pathetic damage, or do you fire off another sword skill for respectable damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Is there a time limit or something? Was Kirito worrying he can't finish the boss off?
Kirito was taking hits and losing health even while blocking the boss's hits. Hell, the damn thing grabbed his sword. It probably would not have ended well if it lasted a single second longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
Another quest popped up in my mind as I was typing this out... If you learn the 'hand-to-hand' combat skill and use it in battle by itself, are you automatically dual wielding or are you limited to using only one fist?
Hard to say as we've never seen anyone using a pure hand-to-hand combat system in the anime. On the flip side we now know you can combine unarmed hits with sword skills... the boss definitely showed that.

Quote:
I saw the way they setup the fight (like how convenient it is that Kirito has this magical unique skill to save the day, and how everyone else just sort of stood there and watched as Kirito slaughtered him by himself and nearly got killed), my overall reaction was: hoooooly sh*t, he just soloed a floor boss. It was incredibly satisfying to watch in that sort of childish wonder sort of way; couldn't take my eyes away.
As was pointed out earlier, that wasn't solo'ed

I'd simply assume a few things on the 'everyone else stood around and watched' bit. A) Klein and his guild were busy trying to rescue the people they were there to rescue. B) If the anti-crystal field didn't block healing potion use they probably should have been using healing potions on themselves, C) Considering how big some of Kirito's swings were... they probably would have died from friendly fire.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:37   Link #109
Awrya
U mad?

Just me who was wondering how they implied that Liz knew of [Dual Blades] when they didn't animate that part in Ep.7?

Forgot to do that earlier, but nice episode.
How much time did Asuna spend in researching all those spices? If it was me, grinding/levelling skills would be more fun

Spoiler for LN info about Star Burst Stream:

Edit: Is the poll a bit wrong? 10/10 gives you a near perfect only?
Old 2012-09-01, 19:38   Link #110
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
Well, there was a 10 lvl gap, but he is the leader of Asuna's guild, which mean he is the best player in there. Atleast I've never been in a guild in where the leader was worse than any player.
And even more in this game, I don't think there would be a Leader who isn't better than everyone else.
I am quite sure he is atleast at Kirito's level.
Being a leader is not about being the strongest. Its about having charisma and that *something* that makes your legion/guild work. Not to mention knowing a lot about politics to interact with other legions and making aliances.
I played a lot of mmorpgs, in some/most of them I was either at leaders lvl in strength or above them. That didn't change the fact that I didn't like to command anyone, and was mostly a vice-something or a person doing dirty work (like kicking people from guild and stuff).

Anyway question was asked once in this thread but was not answered.
WHAT WAS THE BONUS DROP FOR LAST HIT. I hope it will be explained in future and it will be something meaningfull, as Kirito most likely doesn't get last hits often if not ever.
Spoiler answer about the bonus drop would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
How much time did Asuna spend in researching all those spices? If it was me, grinding/levelling skills would be more fun
She did say it took her a year.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:42   Link #111
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
WHAT WAS THE BONUS DROP FOR LAST HIT. I hope it will be explained in future and it will be something meaningfull, as Kirito most likely doesn't get last hits often if not ever.
Statistically, it's probably something he can't use so he sold it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:45   Link #112
Karakuri

Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Being a leader is not about being the strongest. Its about having charisma and that *something* that makes your legion/guild work. Not to mention knowing a lot about politics to interact with other legions and making aliances.
I played a lot of mmorpgs, in some/most of them I was either at leaders lvl in strength or above them. That didn't change the fact that I didn't like to command anyone, and was mostly a vice-something or a person doing dirty work (like kicking people from guild and stuff).

That is right, but this game is a game in which if you die in-game, you die in real life. What I mean is, the leader must be someone who can give confidence, would you have more trust in yourself in a battle if you know your leader is far stronger than you, and is there to help you, or knowing your leader is not stronger, or is atleast as strong as you? I would certainly be more confident if he was stronger.
If he was stronger he surely would have more knowledge, a stronger player knows what decisions to make, and when to make those decisions.
And if he was stronger, he could protect you. If he was weaker, what would he do to help you if he can't even defeat you?
About the politics, you are right, but still...I can't take it off my mind thinking about it like the way I think...
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:46   Link #113
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Statistically, it's probably something he can't use so he sold it.
I don't know. This boss fight seemed to be special.
Even floor 1 boss gave a nice cool item.
I think author would give him some meaningful drop just to remind him about this fight, at least I would do that if it was my story.

Quote:
That is right, but this game is a game in which if you die in-game, you die in real life. What I mean is, the leader must be someone who can give confidence, would you have more trust in yourself in a battle if you know your leader is far stronger than you, and is there to help you, or knowing your leader is not stronger, or is atleast as strong as you? I would certainly be more confident if he was stronger.
If he was stronger he surely would have more knowledge, a stronger player knows what decisions to make, and when to make those decisions.
And if he was stronger, he could protect you. If he was weaker, what would he do to help you if he can't even defeat you?
About the politics, you are right, but still...I can't take it off my mind thinking about it like the way I think...
Point is still valid. I take a smart leader over a brawn berserker any time. Its not leaders job to be at the front lines. Their job is for their guild to be sucesfull. If his underlings fights bosses, kill them and survive for another fight, then he does his job. He might as well be lvl 1 it wouldn't change much. This game doesn't require leaders to be front liners.
Frankly I wouldn't put my legion leader at front lines, risking loosing him and his knowledge & connections, just to fight some stupid monster.
You don't see generals riding their tanks and waving a sword at the head of the spear of their troops do you ... ?

Leaders aren't like this
Old 2012-09-01, 19:46   Link #114
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
Spoiler for comparison to the novel:
Quote:
Spoiler for Novel Comparison:
Spoiler for Novel Comparison:
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:47   Link #115
HandofFate

Quote:

No mention of any drops. Other than the first boss about the Cloak of Midnight. Despite being set in anMMO, gear and weapons is not a focus of this series.

Even those stats on Kirito's swords in Lizbeth's episode were all added in by the animators. The only thing you know about Kirito's Sword in the LN was that "it seemed to require to a high str. stat"
Old 2012-09-01, 19:48   Link #116
Adigard

Quote:
The LN's answer is rather disappointing, but makes sense considering how seemingly weak the boss was in comparison to something you'd typically fight with 50 players. It's also possible that the extremely heavy hitting but low-health boss was reasonable, considering it was the first time we've ever seen a escape proof boss.

LN answer
Spoiler:

Long and short of it, Kirito didn't look at the list, and turned everything over the Egil so he and Asuna could easily split the money. Which was probably wise... They've already discussed loot drama at this stage of the show ^^:;
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:51   Link #117
Lycodrake

I'm still horribly amused that Gleam Eyes was a combination between a Manticore and Chimera.
Or based on Allon of Bleach. XDDD

Either way, adored the episode, though mainly because of the interactions and emotions.
Though I think they could've done better on Asuna's emotions, or at least expressing them.

Unless that was intentional. *shrugs*
6.5/10, at least.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:52   Link #118
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Great episode.

I love how Kirito interrupted Klein's introduction by punching him in the gut. He sure knows preempt advances towards Asuna.LOL

Quote:
True. If leader can't be strong physically, he can still be effective using his intelligence or charisma. Essentially, the leader will make plans and gather allies while his stronger subordinates will handle to field work. It applies even more so in real life.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:54   Link #119
Kmos

Appearance of sandwich #2.

Kirito didn't solo the boss. Those army guys were a diversion for an Asuna attack and later on Klein and Asuna bought time for Kirito.

Klein is 24??? He's gotta be around 30! I wish there was more focus on Klein and his guild. They've got an interesting story if they survived together for so long. It'll be a good showing of how a small tight-knit guild is probably near the same level as the Knights of Blood who has a strong group but seems to random invite?

Why Dark Repulser isn't his new main: people can carry multiple sets. Kirito seems to be medium to light armor, switching gears to have more of whatever stat to deal with the situation is ideal for him. I just assumed he uses Elucidator mainly for fighting and Dark Repulser for speediness while finding upgrades as well. I'd rather use Elucidator in fights (based on epi 7's stats), maybe Dark Repulser is hard to upgrade or there's a risk in weapon breaking in doing it.
{I might be remembering it wrong, but I thought Elucidator was a boss drop or something. SAO could be one of those games where boss dropped eqipment can't be upgraded.)
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 20:00   Link #120
Karakuri

Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
I don't know. This boss fight seemed to be special.
Even floor 1 boss gave a nice cool item.
I think author would give him some meaningful drop just to remind him about this fight, at least I would do that if it was my story.

Point is still valid. I take a smart leader over a brawn berserker any time. Its not leaders job to be at the front lines. Their job is for their guild to be sucesfull. If his underlings fights bosses, kill them and survive for another fight, then he does his job. He might as well be lvl 1 it wouldn't change much. This game doesn't require leaders to be front liners.
Frankly I wouldn't put my legion leader at front lines, risking loosing him and his knowledge & connections, just to fight some stupid monster.
You don't see generals riding their tanks and waving a sword at the head of the spear of their troops do you ... ?

Leaders aren't like this
True, but what I am talking about is, if he knows about Kirito's power and still challenges him, it means he is strong and he is aware of his fighting ability.
If he has confidence in his fighting ability agaisn't Kirito, who has that special skill, wouldn't it mean he considers himself stronger?
That's why I am saying this. And just because he is stronger it doesn't mean he can not be smarter. This isn't berserker noob playing some game. In this game you have your life in risk, which means a mistake will end your life, this is why I consider him both smart and strong.
Would someone be strong without being smart in this game? I can't see that happening, it's not like you can do it in MMORPGs where you go all in one mob and die, revive and do it as many times as you wish, you need a plan, and dumb people can not make that plan ( most of the times I guess ).

Edit: Not to mention in this game strenght isn't your strenght in your real life, so ofc we can not apply here some berserker who has only strenght, atleast in my opinion.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote