AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-11-21, 14:09   Link #241
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I got interrupted. Spent several hours chatting with the model I'm going to be using for Tsika on the cover of volume two or three. She lives in Poland, so the time zone difference makes it challenging to be awake at the same time.

She's very chatty (rather like Tsika) in a good way and what started out as a short contract discussion turned into a brainstorming session with her sending me a small pile of images of clothing and accessories she wants to use. She's watched the videos and seen the image captures, we talked about the story. I'll drop a picture of her here to divert you while I keep typing.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-11-21 at 18:42.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 01:53   Link #242
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay, I'm going to cut myself some slack. As I said a few chapters ago, I had gotten two rock festivals mixed up in my head. One is in Hokkaido, the Rising Sun Rock Festival near Ishikara. The other is the Fuji Rock Festival near Yuukawa in the Niigata Prefecture.

Somewhere in my planning I did a brain flip. The Ishikara festival is "japanese artists only" - meaning it is highly unlikely that Rocket Science would ever perform there. The Fuji festival is world inclusive with seven main stages and multiple minor stages. That's where I *meant* to have the band go and where Sashiko's grand-dad was supposed to be from. Brain flipped.

I'm saving myself some labor time - the next chapter will retcon reality and simply assume they're arriving in Niigata for the Fuji Festival. I'll fix the earlier chapters that mention the destination in Volume Two and when I'm editing the work for Volume Three of my published book series.

I am NOT asking anyone to buy the books (though I'd be delighted if you did). I AM asking people who read the rough drafts to visit the Kindle or Nook site and write a quick review for volume One.

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/It-Really-Rock...rocket+science

B&N Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/it-r...=2940148974130

Leave the review anonymously or whatever. This would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I'm going to start plunking stuff here that I've put up on my Facebook page and my blog site so people won't have to bounce around links.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-11-25 at 00:31.
Old 2013-11-25, 04:16   Link #243
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Got my first review for Book One ... has a take on it I wasn't entirely expecting but I'll be happy and run with it -

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.
B.H.Branham captivates the reader through the complex journey that makes up the human psyche while retaining enough comedy relief to keep the reader feeling sane. Branham successfully takes a page out of James Joyce's playbook in writing from the female perspective as a male author. It Really Is Rocket Science is appropriately titled as it lightheartedly explores the complexity of the human condition, both male and female. Branham successfully engages an audience with a catchy premise and taboo relationships through characters that you can't help but fall in love with (I adore Kpau).

This book is a must read even if you are not an avid Anime fan, or for some strange reason, not a fan of music. Branham successfully draws characters that have qualities anyone could relate to, laugh with, or fall madly in love.
Old 2013-11-26, 02:42   Link #244
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Holiday coupon good between now and 25 Dec 2013.

Too late, you missed it. I will offer 100% off coupon again for Volume One when I release Volume Two in the first week of February.

Go to Smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/372572).

Available ebook reading formats

HTML (suitable for web browsers)
Epub (Apple iPad/iBooks, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo, and most e-reading apps including Stanza, Aldiko, Adobe Digital Editions, others).
Kindle (.mobi for Kindle devices and Kindle apps)
PDF (good for reading on PC, or for home printing)
RTF (readable on most word processors)
LRF (Use only for older model Sony Readers that don't support .epub) Palm Doc (PDB) (for Palm reading devices)
Plain Text (download) (flexible, but lacks much formatting)
Plain Text (view) (viewable as web page)

The only request is that once you have done that, please rate the book at Smashwords website, even write a review. If you feel really energetic, write reviews on Amazon, B&N, or Goodreads and rate the book there as well. Not asking for money, only a little time helping me promote the book. A virtual flash mob if you like. I get several hundred hits a week so I know you're out there

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-12-28 at 03:10.
Old 2013-12-02, 02:08   Link #245
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Volume 03 Chapter 19 ("I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide")

Volume 03 Chapter 19 ("I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide")

TL;DR…
vol 03 ch 19 content
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

A collection of the day's moments. -- that'll do. Will definitely add more little moments in the final draft. Back to working on volume two final draft for publishing.
edit: fixed the Hank discontinuities - those annoyed me too much to leave alone even in a rough draft.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-12-03 at 09:54.
Old 2013-12-04, 04:30   Link #246
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In my head, this is likely the way they dressed and played on the first day of the festival on the secondary stages they were assigned to.

Glycerin on fire playing guitar in "Vengeance"
YouTube

Sashiko singing "clubfoot" and proving she has a nice wiggle in her walk.
YouTube
Old 2013-12-09, 03:32   Link #247
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

On the road of becoming a 21st century version of an "indie" author, I'm trying a number of tactics. I'm self-publishing on Amazon, B&N, iTunes, Kobo, and other sites - both paperback and e-book. I've set up social media points on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and blog on Wordpress.

Tonight I'm trying something interesting. There's a site called Patreon.com which is essentially an Internet Tip Jar (not project specific like Kickstart is). People who like the stuff an artist makes can arrange to have a few quarters or dollars automatically given each month. The artist puts out stuff.

I'm going to release to patrons two chapters a month of the final published books. I'm just interested in seeing how it flies and I'm looking at other authors on the site to see what works for them. I'm not asking anyone here to donate, just check the site out. I've become a patron to Jon Rosenberg who creates http://amultiverse.com.

http://www.patreon.com/bhbranham
http://www.patreon.com/user?u=55136 (until the name link works)

Seriously, it would be cheaper to just buy the books but there may be an audience who likes their reading doled out this way.

Join my Facebook author page for fun - http://www.facebook.com/bhbranham
See what the cover models of my books are up to there. They are both very nice young women (as well as damn beautiful).

Next rough draft chapter of Volume Three will be out later this week, probably with a couple of new AMVs of the band -- I'm going back and remaking the Lost Girls and Early Rocket Science videos with what I know now about making them.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-12-09 at 03:43.
Old 2013-12-09, 03:38   Link #248
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I have read you briefly, paragraph here, a page there, but it was still enough of a reading to see that you've become far more comfortable at writing in your recent chapters than in the first Volume. It's almost as if your story is flowing better. You are clearly enjoying yourself!
Old 2013-12-09, 05:51   Link #249
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I have read you briefly, paragraph here, a page there, but it was still enough of a reading to see that you've become far more comfortable at writing in your recent chapters than in the first Volume. It's almost as if your story is flowing better. You are clearly enjoying yourself!
thanks ... my published version of volume one barely resembles the rough drafts of the volume here. The original volume one posts read more like scraps of scripts to me now.

For the thread, I'm to figure out what to do in the long run. I'll likely go back and do some surgery, updating volume 1 chapters (without screwing the posts up ... a string of post deletes would look awful).

That's mostly because volume one looks so rough. The rough drafts of vol2 and vol3 are somewhat closer to the published versions (though there's some story segment moves and all the dialog is tweaked ... got rid of some slow stuff, tweaked the racy stuff).

Like I wrote in the beginning - I just want to tell a ripping yarn about these characters, if it sells well that's secondary. I have about six/seven volumes sketched out.

I *seem* to have a fair readership here (though they're a quiet bunch). And as my .sig says - people here can get the first e-book for free if they use the coupon code at Smashwords. I'm likely to give free coupons for the other books as well if I can get some reviews out of anyone. (hint, hint )

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-12-09 at 06:31.
Old 2013-12-09, 23:39   Link #250
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I may have just found a new place to send the band in some future tour: Antartica. (I already have an East European tour on the storyboard).

YouTube
Old 2013-12-09, 23:45   Link #251
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
For the thread, I'm to figure out what to do in the long run. I'll likely go back and do some surgery, updating volume 1 chapters (without screwing the posts up ... a string of post deletes would look awful).
In my opinion you shouldn't edit/delete anything. You can certainly add the newer version, but you shouldn't delete anything. Every scrap/draft shows your progression from where you were and where you are at now. It makes your thread more interesting.
Old 2013-12-10, 00:47   Link #252
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
In my opinion you shouldn't edit/delete anything. You can certainly add the newer version, but you shouldn't delete anything. Every scrap/draft shows your progression from where you were and where you are at now. It makes your thread more interesting.
Sounds interesting (comparison of excerpts, etc). I'm always telling other fan fiction people not to consider their first burst of text a finished product. I've kept revision histories of story segments.

edit: After I bring volume 3 rough draft to a close - I'll take a break and compare rough drafts to final drafts of volume one.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-12-14 at 00:55.
Old 2013-12-10, 02:08   Link #253
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the story of "It Really IS Rocket Science", a rocker-in-self-exile trips across "The Lost Girls" a small band struggling to break into the business. They have left Los Angeles for the Pacific Northwest looking for their niche.

I'm remaking a number of old videos that create the idea of the "Lost Girls" as they appear before the story begins. Here's Tsika, Glycerin, Sashiko, and Kpau doing a cover of a tune by The Donnas in a small club - The guitars in use, the outfits, hairstyles, and makeup reflect the beginning of the series.

YouTube
Old 2013-12-14, 05:29   Link #254
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

volume 2 Tsika cover model - and chapter status.

I haven't fallen off a cliff. Just a lot of time taken up with "marketing", "branding", "connecting" (blerch). Plus editing volume 2 and corresponding with the little Polish Pixie model who's going to front volume two. She's been sending test images but I'll just provide a peek. Derezzed, shrunk rough proofs - as they're not done tweaking with details and background magic.

She's going to try and do some "candid photos" as if Kpau snuck up on Tsika with a camera at embarrassing moments - we'll see how those turn out. If they work, I can use them for back cover image scraps. I'm told by every publisher that a good cover basically sells a book. My volume 1 cover is getting very good feedback.
The same model (evoking Glycerin as she is vol 1) is also evoking her in volume 3.

That cover of volume 3 is from her stock portfolio but yesterday she said she'd really like to do a Glycerin-custom photo to look exactly like her for the cover. We're discussing the business details now. She's carved out a niche doing Gothic, fetish, latex, military, sci-fi, horror, pinup photography - like yeah, this:

She's very very very good at her job -- (O.O)

next rough draft chapter of volume 3 - hopefully Wednesday 18 Dec.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-12-14 at 06:12.
Old 2013-12-15, 20:56   Link #255
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah, garnered a couple of reviews this weekend ... interesting to see how the first volume is being perceived - some opinions new to me:
http://www.amazon.com/Really-Rocket-...rocket+science

Quote:
Originally Posted by a great adventure
By missaliax on December 13, 2013Format: Kindle Edition
Music and love are the key elements of this book. Branham vividly describes the characters, it makes you feel connected, like you’re a part of something. This is a dark and emotional story, showing love and friend ship prevail in a bittersweet world.
Somehow the author, being a male, grabs the female perspective so well, which isn’t easy. He actually plays out the male and female roles so life like. It’s hilarious all the escapades they go through, but friendship is key in the end.
My main focus is on Kpau, I love a free spirit. Although I grew a soft spot for all these characters. I am not so much an Anime fan, but this book opened the door for me. Every page is definitely entertaining. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good adventure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' in a Hurricane?
By John R. Dizon on December 15, 2013Format: Kindle Edition
It Really Is Rocket Science by Brad H. Branham is a fascinating look at the unreal world of underground rock, taking us on the road with a grungy band pursuing their dreams of fame and fortune. The author weaves his tale against the backdrop of Portland, Oregon, home of the Grunge Revolution of the 90’s. He provides us with authentic scenarios, particularly behind the scenes where bands often live or die according to their ability to survive on the road on tour.

The main themes of Branham’s story are those of defiance, friendship and duty. Disillusioned rocker Blar Umlaut joins forces with Tsika, Glycerin and Kpau, hoping to give them the extra push to make them a commercial success. Yet the spirit of rebellion that ruined his relationship with his woman and his band resurfaces in the Lost Girls, particularly in lead guitarist Glycerin whose substance abuse threatens the cohesiveness of the group. Blar is forced to establish the bonds of friendship with the girls and build upon its foundation to help weather the pressures of life on the road. Eventually the band develops a sense of duty that translates into individual responsibility. They finally realize that they must step up and know their role if their fantasies are to ever become reality.

Anyone who’s ever ‘been there done that’ will appreciate the true-to-life narrative the author brings to the storyline. The reader will fully sympathize with Blar’s helplessness in watching someone self-destruct with liquor and drugs, just as the claustrophobic feeling of confinement in small vans, small clubs and small dressing rooms are realistically conveyed. We watch the girls try to alleviate the boredom with their board games, hoping to do whatever they can before turning to the bottle as a last resort.

This is a compelling read for rock fans as well as YA and new adult audiences, or anyone who’s ever wondered what life behind the smoke and mirrors of the hard rock spectacles is really like. Just as the title suggests, It Really Is Rocket Science by Brad H. Branham shows us that it’s not as simple as wowing Simon Cowell on American Idol.
Old 2013-12-18, 16:04   Link #256
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry, people. I spent the last few days violently ill (food poisoning). I'll try to get a chapter out in a few days. Bleh.

To quote Tsika, "Fucking hell, I am goddam fucking behind on every fucking thing!!"
Old 2013-12-21, 13:31   Link #257
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

While I am catching up, I started a contest over on Facebook to take input on the book covers I might use for volume Two. Specifically, to choose the model pose people like best. The prize is a high-resolution image of the winning picture for those who both "like" and "comment" on the images. There might also be 100% Free coupons for volume two when it is released for those who provide thoughtful feedback in the comments. (In other words, "cool" or "sucks" is not sufficient)

I, of course, reserve the right to use the picture I like best anyway, but there's a wallpaper worthy twintail bass player young woman to win.

An account on Facebook is needed. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3233385&type=1

Preview images (bookcovers are not final. I just want to see the reactions and which pose is popular.):

Old 2013-12-22, 05:25   Link #258
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Want to see what the published Volume One looks like while you're waiting for the latest rough draft chapter of Volume 3?

Jump to read the first seven chapters of volume One from "It Really IS Rocket Science" for FREE. Totally. Free. Give it a read. The opening excerpt introduces the primary characters and gives you a hint of the adventures, comedy, and drama to come. For the rough draft readers it should provide an example of just how the story has developed since those first sketchy chapter releases a year ago.

http://bhbranham.wordpress.com/previ...r-free-online/

The first seven chapters of the final published novel - online.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-12-28 at 04:00. Reason: coupon days are expired for now
Old 2013-12-24, 23:47   Link #259
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Got a review this week that just kind of floored me. Most of you are probably too young to remember this classic. One of the top reviewers at Amazon compared IRIRS to "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test". Not complaining at all.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1VV49E...=&nodeID=&tag=
Quote:
Author Brad Branham has a definite knack for walking the walk and talking the talk of that dark and seemingly twisted world of underground rock bands. Despite his credentials being well lodged in the world of electrical engineering and software development on NASA projects, defense contracting, and scientific pursuits, his gut level response is for raw life fiction and offering other views and stances on those parts of the population that are esteemed by some, ignored by others, and avoided by most. There has to be a degree of music performer in this man to be able to describe his chosen life set of this novel - the underground rock bands. He observes them well and offers a different more entertaining cadence to this genre of novels than most other writers - a reminder of sorts of `The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test' by Tom Wolfe of 1968, but bounced forward some 45 years and with a hefty does of acid rock/goth/heavy metal et al.

The story opens in snowy Portland, Oregon where we meet Blar Umlaut (great name, cleverly devised!) who has been famous as a rock band musician once but his career is in abeyance at present. He meets Tsika, an exotic appearing Russian goth bass player who after a fall in the snow finds herself in the shower and loft of Blar. They have much in common - both are involved in weird garb and weirder music and both have their own concept of bands (Tsika has The Lost Girls - Tsika, Glycerin and Kpau) and it is this nonchalant coming together that leads the two into a different passage through the unreal fantasy world of underground rock as we follow these strange, volatile but ultimately fun and needy fellow human beings around the strange Dantesque levels of emotional highs and lows.

Branham writes well, able to paint the scenery and costumes of these grungy musicians with great skill. And at the core of his book are life lessons about relationships and dreams and fantasies that rise above the odd stagecraft. It makes us wonder where his next volume will take us. Grady Harp, December 13
Pardon me while I put on some metal and crank it up to "11" ... Christmas metal. TSO.
Old 2013-12-28, 03:30   Link #260
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Read the published volume One's first seven chapters for free

The holidays and family take precedence at the moment. Working on the next volume 3 chapter but I don't want to just thrash something out.

In the meantime, want to see what the published Volume One looks like while you're waiting for the latest rough draft chapter of Volume 3?

Follow the link to read the first seven chapters of Volume One from "It Really IS Rocket Science" for FREE. Totally. Free. Give it a read, comparing it to the rough draft chapters at the start of this thread. For the rough draft readers it should provide an example of just how the story has developed since those first sketchy chapter releases a year ago.

The opening excerpt introduces the primary characters and gives you a hint of the adventures, comedy, and drama to come.
http://bhbranham.wordpress.com/previ...r-free-online/

I'm also holding a little contest to see which image people like best of images I'm choosing for the cover of Volume 2 over on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bhbranham). If you want to put in your vote here, here's the three images. PM me with your comments so as not to clutter up the thread.
Images

Tags
comedy, drama, light novel, music, romance