AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-09, 10:59   Link #1
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Agarest: Generations of War

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...118/1376053051

Hello,

I know this game is probably old news for people who read Japanese/has an Xbox/console.

But as a PC gamer it is the first time I heard of it. Any opinions? Is it good?
Old 2013-08-09, 11:27   Link #2
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
It's a good story and fun RPG

bit ecchi at moments :P
Old 2013-08-09, 13:37   Link #3
Newhope

I liked it but the Battles, and battle system are very unforgiving to people who haven't played many JRPG.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 19:16   Link #4
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Nice! This is the first game, I don't have this one yet will get this on steam.
Old 2013-08-10, 12:01   Link #5
Thany
Unfair

All I have to say is given it's Ghostlight releasing the game I fear for the censorship hammer. And this time everyone will get it, not only the EU release (you could still buy the NA version which was uncensored).
Old 2013-08-10, 15:07   Link #6
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany View Post
All I have to say is given it's Ghostlight releasing the game I fear for the censorship hammer. And this time everyone will get it, not only the EU release (you could still buy the NA version which was uncensored).
How much could you possibility censor anyway? I was under the impression this was not a eroge.
Old 2013-08-10, 18:50   Link #7
KBTKaiser

Agarest has Event scenes that straddle the risque line, so it's prime ammo for the censor-happy parties.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 20:31   Link #8
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
How much could you possibility censor anyway? I was under the impression this was not a eroge.
To give an example from another series, Front Mission's various protagonists have had strong hints of PTSD and show signs unhinged (particularly Lloyd Clive and Elsa Ellaine), but SW edits all those out for the US releases.

Anyway, this looks promising, and I'll keep an eye out.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 22:05   Link #9
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
Agarest has Event scenes that straddle the risque line, so it's prime ammo for the censor-happy parties.
Well, I was watching youtube and saw there was a mini game for massaging a almost nude/totally nude girl? (For X-Box) If it is not a total eroge game, then I rather have that cut out.

There is nothing more of a buzzkill than a game that try to straddle eroge and a non eroge. If you don't want to show what is going on in the bedroom, then don't mention the bedroom!

Edit: How the freg anyone can play a "massage a nude girl" on a x-box on your living room anyway with a straight face? o_O
Old 2013-08-10, 22:08   Link #10
Kirayuki
蒼の深淵

That minigame is sadly not for the 1st Agarest, this one only venture as far to a little bit risky CG.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 20:44   Link #11
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
That minigame is sadly not for the 1st Agarest, this one only venture as far to a little bit risky CG.
Oh Good. I for one could never picture myself playing that mini-game in a living room. Imagine what my girlfriend would say.

If it is not going to be a full blown eroge on PC, then don't try to pretend to be one.
Old 2013-08-19, 17:00   Link #12
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

It's called fan service. Deal with it instead of getting your panties in a bunch as if we're supposed to hide that we're sexual beings. Please.
Old 2013-08-20, 08:51   Link #13
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
If you like SRPG type you will like it. Some of the story parts including deaths didn't sit well with me, but overall it was alright. Wouldn't buy another one in the series though...
Old 2013-08-20, 14:52   Link #14
Zakoo

So since I finished it last year I believe, I will give my opinion

Game is long. Long like as much o in loooooooooooooooooooong. It's subdivised in many generations as the name indicate it and with each generation the main hero changing, thus the main problem of the game is that you can barely attach to one character (aside somes who stay a long time).

But not only it's long, it's also FREAKING HARD, some boss will give you the will to throw your mouse ( or game controler ) onto the wall on your right, cause it's has been 3 hours you're on.

Story like ? Very hard to say, because it's both at the same time incredulously ordinary yet good, it's like Luminous arc, no shit happens until you get the revelations and there you go literally crazy.

As said before, but I will redo a paragraphe one, the characters aren't especially good, some will make you laugh until crying ( Touma/ Winfrield) and others cry of despair ... As for the girls, since the whole damn point is to get one and go to the next generations, all steretypical female of japenese animation are there.

System of combat is quite elaborate, but takes a lot of time to come in handy, and you will probably master it when you do a NG+, the first agarest is quite bothersome cause you need to learn all combo by heart ... or write on paper.

Lastly, I will end on the most bad aspect of this game : it's redondant like hell, 3-4 fights spots-events same loop again and again with sometime a dungeon. Dungean being map where you can run and end it in less than 30 secondes since it takes 40 steps to encounter a mob but a map is 30 steps.

I give it between 6-7/10, a pleasant game but not especially epic, I saw by far better ( tales of/ fire emblem/ luminous arc) JRPG, but as well by far worse ( Toki to Towa), I don't consider it as a waste of money at least.

Agarest zero on the other hand, I don't advice it, no good ... really. Agarest 2 was pretty good though. 3 generation seems a good

Also as for the event ... meh, they last 10 dialogues, and are always optional,, if you don't want them, you can bypass them or click on X like Sonic.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 08:15   Link #15
Newhope

I actually liked Zero more than 1-2.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 01:17   Link #16
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, I've started playing it.

I hadn't really noticed that it's made by Idea Factory, but once I got into the postbattle level screens and all I realised that's what I was dealing with. There's a certain sense of familiarity there.

I've just started playing, and I'm in the prologue. So far... omg the DLC weapons are OP, lol.

I like the setups for link attacks and waiting to charge up AP, and so far I'm liking it a lot. I do wish there was a button to skip dialogue. Since there isn't, when I have to redo a section with dialogue i've already scene, i hit up Tiny Tower on my iPad.

So far, cautiously optimistic. And thank god there are no resizing issues on the PC.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 14:03   Link #17
Achiuakuna
関西機のみんな、お仕事お仕事!

Started it recently as well. The eroge-gamer in me instinctively held down the ctrl key, yet nothing skips and characters still move in unreasonable 1mm steps. I cried The skipping of combat scenes are not ideal either.

Yes I later found a skip button eventually for dialogues (and rightclick for combat), but most of the time is wasted on the character sprite popping in and out of the screen every time someone says anything (is this really necessary?)

If it didn't take so damn long to do everything, it might be pretty good.

I'm probably just spoiled and haven't touched a normal game in a while. Though I have to wonder why instantaneous skip is only a feature of eroge, no matter how little ero there is. Even Utawarerumono had it. It seems to me that normal games really want you to have a hard time in the non-gameplay areas.
Achiuakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 21:53   Link #18
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

This game has been a completely disappointment for me. The gameplay is awful.

1) Unlike other titles done by Idea Factory, Agarest completely ignored terrain. Every fight is on a chessboard like arena. In a jungle? fight on a board. In the middle of a palace, board, on top of a mountain? Another square shaped map.

Compared to say Spectral Souls, which had towers, stairs, buildings, towns, ruins, mountains where a player can fight using strategy, it is totally depressing.

2) Juggle 3 girls and Light/Dark is kind of silly. In order for the game to achieve true ending, you pretty much need all 3 girls to be happy, and the light/dark gauge in the NEUTRAL setting. Of course, the game don't explain that too you...

3) The women, at Gen 1 at least (I got that far), had the personality of a brick board. There are literally only one event for each of the first generation girls. Fuyria wanted you to buy her a doll....thats it and <3. Luanna apparently only want you to help her make dinner, and that knight chick is predictably the childhood princess you promise to marry and forgot.

Then they get prissy over your strategy choices, you want march over the mountains? Girl A will be happy, Girl B+C would get angry. Cross the lake? B will be happy, A+C would act as if you just cheated on them. Which makes no sense at all. Charge straight through the enemy fortress? C will kiss you on the spot while A+B will be sad.

Then near the they get together and ask you what kind of women you like out of the blue....and thats it.

Even nukige eroge had better storyline development.

4) The storyline is pretty much garbage, even for JRPG standards. I won't spoil the plotline, But sufficiently to say the characters all lack depth because each of their combined lines for entire "generation" is barely 500 words. Baldur's Gate I Circa 1990 had better lines and choices.

Compare to say...spectral souls, which would explain the consequences of each battle and the total losses, and make you actually feel like you are fighting an war.

5) Oh yea, unlike Spectral Soul or Generation of Chaos (also done by Idea Factory). The bulk of the game for Agraest involve moving from point A to point B. Unfortunately, you would have to travel through 7-8 battle points, clearing them out by fighting a battle against the same combination of monsters over...and over again.

6) This game is seriously equipment intense and not for casuals (unless you brought DLC). You need to constantly farm material for weapon upgrades, otherwise even wolves, spirites and low level zombies suddenly became completely immune to all attacks.

7) Also it is coming out for Android...yet its U.S Dev still didn't bother to admit it.

Sigh --___--
Old 2013-10-12, 11:39   Link #19
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The Agarest trilogy is available on PS3. Go search on Amazon.
Old 2013-10-12, 15:39   Link #20
Zakoo

It's even available on the PSN, at least in Europe.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote