AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2014-01-02, 12:22   Link #21
kitten320

Finally got around to watch the following:

Shigofumi - liked it. Not fully satisfied with the ending, especially when everyone started to blame "The real" one but OVA made up for it. Over all I'm satisfied. It was not episodic as I though it would be and i always liked ghost related stuff.

7/10

Hachimitsu to Clover - I wrote most of my opinion in other thread so I'll keep it short... it was dragged as well silly. Mind you, not funny but silly. Jokes were repetitive and main heroin design is just ugh... Well I do plan to check season 2 but for now I'll let it have 7/10.

One Outs - loved this one. Sport shows are one of my faves. The only problem I had is that MCs team consists of idiots. Like I don't want for them to be clever like Tokuchi but come on.

8/10

Cross Game - Not big fan of character design, at first I had hard time telling Ko and Aoba apart. And what's with those bear ears?
Also baseball wise not that strong either. Ko is supposed to be this amazing pitcher yet I simply could not feel it.
Also big part of the cast were pushed to the side and barely played any role like for example Mizuki. I still have to scratch my head as to why was he even introduced. Get him out f the show and nothing will change.
However, story wise it is pretty good even though it mostly picked my interest in second half when Akane was introduced.

Despite all those faults and some small ones I did not list, I still enjoyed the show and would recommend it.

8/10

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Oh boy... where do I start? For something so popular, it was just painful to watch. I understand that it is an old anime but WTF with all those still frames?
Story... what story? Whole show can be basically summarized in "Oh no, Angel Attacks! Oh No! Asuka and Rei failed again! Oh yes! Shinji saved us all even though we never learned why he is so special."
Then random moments like when Ritsuko happened to be in love and sexually active with Gendou Ikari... WHAT?! When has it even even been indicated that there is some kind of connection between them? They literally pulled it out of nowhere just to have an excuse for Ritsuko go a bit crazy.
Introduction of 5th child... he and Shinji knew each other for like what? 5 hours? And they are already "madly in love with each other" -_-
Not to mention him being and Angel out of a blue...

Then the last 2 episodes... in all honesty they are the only ones worth watching because of some nice psychological themes. They actually can be watched as stand alone since they barely have any connection with everything we saw till now and didn't give any kind of conclusion. Series just abruptly ended like every episode.

I still have to watch the movie (continuation) but my impression on TV series alone are just MEH! How this anime managed to become one of the most iconic shows is beyond me...

Are the remake movies any better? Or is it same rushed/poorly developed thing?

For TV series alone, 5/10. Mostly because of some nice philosophical themes, otherwise it would be lower.

With that said, any other recommendations to build up my list? Or any I should remove from the list?
Old 2014-01-02, 14:28   Link #22
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Gatchaman Crowds is worth a watch. Why aren't you following Kill la Kill?

I share your general lack of enthusiasm for Evangelion. I liked Rahxephon considerably more.
Old 2014-01-02, 17:17   Link #23
kitten320

Considering that I really disliked Gurren Lagan, chances of me liking Kill la Kill are extremely small considering that I did not like episode 1. So I better stay away and not ruin its fandom^^
Old 2014-01-03, 10:48   Link #24
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well if you thought Cross Game was weak on the baseball side, perhaps you'd like something like: Ookiku Furikabutte aka Big Windup better. Or if you'd like to try something by Adachi again you could go for H2, although I can not vouch for the anime version I did find the manga very good.

If you are in the mood for something more like Cross Game you could try Touch.

For comedy I'll add a vote for Hataraku Maou-sama!

Last Exile is a good action title.

As for Neon Genesis Evangelion I do not deny that it has major flaws. (They had a very tight budget, the company was almost bankrupt and they literally run out of money by the last few episodes). However, I do think you might have missed some details watching it, as they do explain why Shinji is "special" and it's rather horrific. It's similar in feel to Madoka Magica- a genre associated with fantasy fare becomes a nightmare. As for Ryouko's affair with Gendo, I too was caught by surprise, but when I watched a second time I realized that they did provide several subtle hints in early episodes.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 12:42   Link #25
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Oh boy... where do I start? For something so popular, it was just painful to watch. I understand that it is an old anime but WTF with all those still frames?
Story... what story? Whole show can be basically summarized in "Oh no, Angel Attacks! Oh No! Asuka and Rei failed again! Oh yes! Shinji saved us all even though we never learned why he is so special."
Then random moments like when Ritsuko happened to be in love and sexually active with Gendou Ikari... WHAT?! When has it even even been indicated that there is some kind of connection between them? They literally pulled it out of nowhere just to have an excuse for Ritsuko go a bit crazy.
Introduction of 5th child... he and Shinji knew each other for like what? 5 hours? And they are already "madly in love with each other" -_-
Not to mention him being and Angel out of a blue...

Then the last 2 episodes... in all honesty they are the only ones worth watching because of some nice psychological themes. They actually can be watched as stand alone since they barely have any connection with everything we saw till now and didn't give any kind of conclusion. Series just abruptly ended like every episode.

I still have to watch the movie (continuation) but my impression on TV series alone are just MEH! How this anime managed to become one of the most iconic shows is beyond me...
Evangelion TV series was never meant to make audience comfortable. You can even say that the makers intentionally make the series painful to watch by having almost no likable characters. Shinji being one of the most EMO MC ever and always struggling with his life pretty much cement that notion. Yet, that is the point of the show. The anime is more like a character study than your usual piece of entertainment. If you can find entertainment in it at all, that would be a bonus.

Thus, I agree with Sackett. They made the anime with (very) limited budget hence the many still frames. Evangelion series itself was never known for being an eye candy even though its a mecha show.

One thing is that, this show relies more on subtle hints. Often, in order to know more about the characters, you need to read between the lines and gestures, like in the case of Ritsuko’s relationship with Gendo. Ritsuko was always depicted as a mysterious woman anyway, so her being infatuated with Gendo is not exactly an asspul, just another revelation, part of the mystery. Mind you that even if Ritsuko’s in love with Gendo, they don’t have to show her flirting with him or things like that considering the nature of their relationship, their personalities and working environment. As for Kaworu being an Angel, it’s not really “out of the blue”. It is intended to be that way from the beginning of his introduction. Him being able to charm Shinji in such a short time is to further show us how “unusual” he actually is, as well as hinting him being an Angel at the same time. Kaworu being an Angel itself is actually a result of progress. If you watch closely, each Angel varied in forms and methods (from a giant humanoid, big block of crystal, light, even tiny viruses that hacked EVA-04). The more we’re into the show, the attacking Angels are using psychological attacks more often in an attempt to understand the humans. A human (Kaworu) being an Angel is pretty much the result of the Angels's development (if not evolution) to best infiltrate NERV HQ to meet Lilith without triggering NERV’s self-destruct mechanism by using a human body. That’s pretty much their goal from the get go.

That said, I can assure you that I’m no Evangelion blind-fan. Like Sackett said, it has glaring flaws too, and one of many titles that I think got overhyped too much. Many people said it’s the best anime ever, I don’t think so. But it’s still a breakthrough in terms of storytelling. If it’s not, then Evangelion wouldn’t be revered by countless fans and critics alike nor encouraged so many copycat-shows which want to recreate the magic. Rei Ayanami, in particular, was such a unique character for its time that she gave birth to so many kuudere female characters we enjoy to this day.

Quote:
Are the remake movies any better? Or is it same rushed/poorly developed thing?
Well, for one, the remake movies are a lot more entertaining and filled with spectacles and eye-candy (but some fans complain that the Rebuild movies are just dumbed-down version of the series to appeal to the broader masses). The first two Rebuild movies, in particular, are more “cheerful” compared to the original series. But then they go into the unknown territory with the 3rd movie (don’t want to spoil it) that makes the upcoming 4th movie a big question mark.

As for my recommendation, after watching Evangelion series, you can skip Death & Rebirth movie (it's just a recap movie) and go straight to End of Evangelion movie.
Old 2014-01-03, 15:33   Link #26
kitten320

They could at least have Ritsuko and Ikari casually chatting at least once like Rei and Ikari. It really felt like an ass pull, considering that right after revelation she went and destroyed half of a laboratory.

And duno why so many people hate Shinji, he was not that emo and bad. I saw worse. Most of his problems were kinda easy to relate to. Like his father being ass and Shinji hating his guts while still wishing for some attention.

Kaworu needed at least one more episode instead of introducing and killing him in one while creating this big drama between him and Shinji which barely made any sense. Besides from what I understood, HQ knew that he was an angel from the start.
Old 2014-01-03, 18:11   Link #27
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
They could at least have Ritsuko and Ikari casually chatting at least once like Rei and Ikari. It really felt like an ass pull, considering that right after revelation she went and destroyed half of a laboratory.

And duno why so many people hate Shinji, he was not that emo and bad. I saw worse. Most of his problems were kinda easy to relate to. Like his father being ass and Shinji hating his guts while still wishing for some attention.

Kaworu needed at least one more episode instead of introducing and killing him in one while creating this big drama between him and Shinji which barely made any sense. Besides from what I understood, HQ knew that he was an angel from the start.
They could, but they did not. It’s stylistic choice. They chose to have it under wraps until the reveal.

Many of those who hates Shinji came in expecting the usual lively and optimistic MC of mecha show. Only to get the opposite.

Again, stylistic choice (and probably some budget limitation too). Also, there’s no point to all the fuss if NERV knows Kaworu is an Angel from the beginning. They just realized it when it’s too late when Kaworu already entering Central Dogma. And him being physically recognized as a human negates the HQ’s automatic self-destruct mechanism.
Old 2014-01-03, 23:29   Link #28
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

When I re-watched I realized that Ritsuko was depicted as Gendo's confident, and that he was manipulating her. It's just I didn't see it until the second view because the conversations were so work related that the subtext was very subtle. It actually fits for their personalities and being an illicit work affair (with Electra Complex overtones to boot). So I tend to actually think that was rather well done.

The story also resonates with significant Jungian themes. I discuss these more here, including discussion about the anima and animus figures depicted in Evangelion. (If you are unfamiliar with these concepts The 7 Basic Plots by Booker is a good survey of Jungian influences on fiction.)

I view Evangelion as a flawed masterpiece. It has major problems, but it is worth watching despite those issues both for the story it is telling and for the impact it has had on anime since then. Anime as diverse as Fullmetal Alchemist to The World God Only Knows to Madoka Magica have referenced specific scenes from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Madoka for example references Shinji vs Kawrou in the Octavia vs Madoka scene. Angel Beats referenced certain Evangelion themes (made more clear by the selection of specific voice actors for certain characters).

Of course, a lot of Evangelion is a case of All There In The Manual. My understanding is that originally Anno wanted to spend another cour building up to the final episode, and the budget cuts forced a reduction in episodes which resulted in things like Kawrou being developed in a single episode instead of 3 or more, as well as significant shortening of Asuka and Misatos's character arcs.

PS: I love how just about every thread that results in someone watching Eva quickly becomes another "analyze Eva" thread.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 09:32   Link #29
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

to add to your list for sports anime I recommend battle athletes victory ( the 26 episode anime series). It also is a comedy and it made laugh out loud a lot.

Of all the shows you listed in to watch I recommend NANA. for this show you have to watch 10 episodes to really get into it... that's how it was for me. something shocking happens and then more shocking and depressing things happens so you have to stick around a little bit till that happens. I enjoyed the first 10 episodes but I really got into the show somewhere after that.
Old 2014-06-20, 20:19   Link #30
kitten320

It is time for me to make a small update on things:

Hachimitsu no Clover 2 - now we are talking. This season was 100% am improvement from a mess in season 1. Characters seemed to mature a bit, story was not rushing through and we actually had some sort of development happening. The only thing that put me off was whole Hagu/Shu thing. I always saw him as her guardian and father figure, not boyfriend material... it kinda reminded me of another show... or more like manga. You all know which one I'm talking about.

But yeh this season gets 8 from me so over all it is 7.

Nodame Cantabile - I've been delaying this show for years and finally got around to watch it. Honestly I duno why it is so popular. For one, biggest part of characters are idiots... like complete idiots. Thankfully they finally started to mature up towards second half and I also started to warm up to them.

WAY too many static frames. Felt almost as bad as Evangelion.

But despite all those problems, it did keep me entertained closer to second half and music was good. Humour became better too so I did enjoy it to an extend so 7 it is. Will watch other seasons later.

Hanasaku Iroha - I remember skipping through 1st episode when it was just released and I was not impressed.... Well I was wrong. It is not type of show you can skip through, it is something you have to watch since it is all about characters and small things.

Definitely loved it. Though I do think it could have been a bit shorter since some parts felt a bit like a drag, especially all those Ko-chan scenes. I found him and his whole relationship with Ohana totally useless. It barely did anything. You could easily remove him or keep him as friend and not much would change. Probably my least favourite episodes in the series.

Other than that it was great. I give it 8.

Would not mind to watch something similar. Heard that Tari Tari has similar feel so that's my next choice now!

Also after lots of fan art and gifs, Kill la Kill kinda managed to pick my interest so I will give it a shot after all. Hopefully it won't disappoint me like Guren Lagan.
Old 2014-06-21, 03:07   Link #31
Eragon
I got you babe.

Quote:
Also after lots of fan art and gifs, Kill la Kill kinda managed to pick my interest so I will give it a shot after all. Hopefully it won't disappoint me like Guren Lagan.
There's a lot of fanservice. The reason for it existing is provided but, what you make of it is up to you.

Btw, what were you expecting from Gurren Lagan ?
Old 2014-06-22, 05:05   Link #32
kitten320

Great story and characters? Ok story might not have been that bad but all those illogical robot transformations and completely idiotic 2D characters were a total turn off.

This show made no sense whatsoever. A tiny robot head could transform into a giant, like WTF? Or like one of those characters that went "Fire! Fire!" all the time. Like really? Is that all you can say? And you were chosen as one of generals!

GL was over its head. It was all about big bangs. Honestly don't understand everyone fascination with big explosions. The moment there is big explosion, everyone's brain seems to stop thinking. It's a beautiful big bang, who cares about logic?

Like NO! Even the most surrealistic stuff has some thought put into it, here there was none.
The only thing I can compliment GL on was on what they did with Kamina. That's a massive plus point there since I did not see that coming at all.

At least from all the spoilers I have seen about Kill La Kill, it seems to be more down to earth in comparison to GL. So yeh, I'll give it a shot. I can deal with fan service if other things are good.
Old 2014-06-22, 05:53   Link #33
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'm curious as to what spoiler you saw that made you think you might like it, because going by what you just said I doubt you'd like KlK.
Old 2014-06-22, 06:04   Link #34
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Great story and characters? Ok story might not have been that bad but all those illogical robot transformations and completely idiotic 2D characters were a total turn off.

This show made no sense whatsoever. A tiny robot head could transform into a giant, like WTF? Or like one of those characters that went "Fire! Fire!" all the time. Like really? Is that all you can say? And you were chosen as one of generals!

GL was over its head. It was all about big bangs. Honestly don't understand everyone fascination with big explosions. The moment there is big explosion, everyone's brain seems to stop thinking. It's a beautiful big bang, who cares about logic?

Like NO! Even the most surrealistic stuff has some thought put into it, here there was none.
The only thing I can compliment GL on was on what they did with Kamina. That's a massive plus point there since I did not see that coming at all.

At least from all the spoilers I have seen about Kill La Kill, it seems to be more down to earth in comparison to GL. So yeh, I'll give it a shot. I can deal with fan service if other things are good.
Gurren Lagann's over-the-top-ness with lttle-to-no-regards in logic is its nature and premise. So, when you said you got turned off by "illogical robot transformations and completely idiotic 2D characters" that's like saying you got turned off by mahou-shoujo transformation sequences and the girly antics in Sailormoon.

People who are fans of GL admire the show for its earnest-ness in the story, the GAR-moments of the characters (not explosions), and the "screw logic!"-nature of the show. So, if you went to watch GL expecting something a bit sophisticated, I'm afraid you have a completely wrong expectation before you went into the show.

As for Kill la Kill, if you totally despise all the illogical and over-the-top elements in GL, you'll despise the ones in Kill la Kill too. Kill la Kill is over the top, hilarious, in-your-face, logic-free, and full of not-so-subtle comedic (as well as drama) moments. In other words, you should come to Kill la Kill fully aware that this is a "magical girl"-version of Gurren Lagann. So, you should either accept the show's quirks and enjoy it, or avoid it like the plague. Still, there's always the third option: activate your masochist-mode and watch the show you hate .

Just want to help by sharing my 2-cents.
Old 2014-06-22, 07:10   Link #35
Eragon
I got you babe.

Quote:

Like, Totoum said, I don't think you are gonna like KLK. But, I'm not gonna tell you to not give it a try. There are a few likable characters in there. And the fact that, you are gonna have a good time shipping will probably be enough to plow through the show
Old 2014-06-22, 07:18   Link #36
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I just have visions of kitten320 getting frustrated every time there's a scene with Mako and going "WTF...this isn't even trying to make any semblance of sense".
Old 2014-06-22, 13:06   Link #37
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!

Anybody recommends Durarara?
Old 2014-06-23, 12:45   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll just mention that I couldn't get very far into TTGL either, but Kill la Kill was my most anticipated show each week it aired. I like Nakashima's other show, Oh! Edo Rocket, quite a bit as well, but TTGL just never worked for me. It's on my list of shows to try again some day.
Old 2014-06-23, 13:14   Link #39
Flower
Celestial operations....

Will be interested to see what you think of Tari Tari - I thought it was quite enjoyable. ^^

It is nowhere as "dramatic" as Hanasaku Iroha, which I also liked but which for me had some glaring turn offs.

If you like Tari Tari you might consider giving Glasslip (airing next season) a try too - it is prolly way too early to make any kind of accurate guesses, but people have been speculating it could be another series similar to Tari Tari....
Old 2014-06-23, 19:19   Link #40
kitten320

Obelisk ze Tormentor
Well I never got into Sailormoon either

totoum
Since I don't mind spoilers, I pretty much know all major plot points, including the ending, and they seem far more intriguing than what GL had to offer.
So yeh, I have enough bases to keep me going at least for several episodes.

SeijiSensei
Hoping that it will be the case for me too since I did put this show away after skipping through first episode when it just aired. Now that I know what to expect, my mind will be more into it. Don't think KlK will put me off more than GL did.

amaterasu4
Seen it ages ago, waiting for season 2 now.

Flower
I'll make an update as usual once I get through next bunch of series and will keep an eye on that one