AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2012-09-09, 13:43   Link #1
hui4163

Action/adventure series where a hot guy harbors unrequited love for the main girl

Ok, so to all anime experts out there, here's a challenge for a more specific kind of anime (at least I haven't come across too many with this exact theme)! Any recommendations for a good action/adventure or magical girl series where a cool/hot guy (not a loser guy) falls HARD one-sidedly for the main girl? I want an action/adventure (Magical girl ok too) sort of anime, NOT a romance/comedic/slice of life anime like Kaichou Maid/Special A/Maison Ikkoku. If the girl eventually reciprocates near the end, that's ok too; I just want the guy to be the main one suffering from his feelings. Examples of what I'm looking for would be:

Blood+ -Solomon's love for Saya http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsA2PCgYl-M

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars -Seiya's love for Usagi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGiA7Dlqhg

Fushigi Yuugi -Hotohori and Nuriko's love for Miaka
Nuriko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjNIRx5x-s
Hotohori: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DHF9xMwzI4

Card Captor Sakura -Syaoran loving an oblivious Sakura (sort of unrequited since she never knew and liked someone else until the very end when she finds out and realizes she likes him too)

Tokyo Mew Mew -Kish's love for Ichigo (tho he wasn't as cool/hot as the 4 guys above & the series was a little too childish for me)

All examples above have hot guys who harbor deep unrequited affections for the main girl to the point where it became really heartwrenching to watch. So, any other action/adventure/MG series with unrequited love on the part of a cool guy? And my definition of a "hot/cool guy" is someone good-looking (duh, lol) who's kind of powerful or very much able to protect the one he loves -basically a bishounen who's skilled, strong, and confident. In other words, not someone who's a bum/loser or a star-eyed innocent/wishywashy average joe type of guy. Also, would prefer the series to be more serious-toned and for the protagonist to be the girl. Additionally, please name series that are actually good/have quality, so if it's a lackluster series with what I'm looking for, don't name it. After around a 5 yr. hiatus of anime watching, I'm kind of out of touch and would love to discover some new great action anime with this theme, so thanks so much in advance!
hui4163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 15:26   Link #2
Divini
Senpai!

You could try Shugo Chara!. It's more of a love triangle than completely unrequited, but I thought a certain male character suffered from it quite a bit.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:03   Link #3
Kirito
Tease to Please!♥

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
This may not work with you but Shining Tears X Wind sort of has those elements. The male lead is really capable, good looking, and cool so no worries there.
Old 2012-09-09, 16:33   Link #4
VampirePaladin

Shikibane Hime - It fits what you asked for perfectly for. The main male character is in love with the female lead but not only is it unrequited, he never tells her because he respects her love for someone. It also has legal streams.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:46   Link #5
hui4163

You guys are awesome! I heard of Shugo Chara, but many people stated that the last season kind of ruined the anime -does it? Hate it when potential series get screwed up in the end. But it does seem to have what I want -by the way who suffers? Ikuto or Tadase?

In Shikibane Hime, is it really obvious that the male lead loves the girl? Or is it just really strong speculation?

Thanks again!
Old 2012-09-09, 17:39   Link #6
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hui4163 View Post
You guys are awesome! I heard of Shugo Chara, but many people stated that the last season kind of ruined the anime -does it? Hate it when potential series get screwed up in the end. But it does seem to have what I want -by the way who suffers? Ikuto or Tadase?

In Shikibane Hime, is it really obvious that the male lead loves the girl? Or is it just really strong speculation?

Thanks again!
IMPO, the longer you watch Shugo Chara the worst it gets. I also personally can't stand Ikuto so that probably relates to it. It does start strong.

In Shikabane Hime it is canon that he is in love with her.
Old 2012-09-09, 17:41   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Your request forms the basis of the romantic parts of Saiunkoku Monogatari. Impoverished but ambitious young princess Kou Shurrei is recruited by the Emperor Ryukki's senior advisor to become the Imperial Consort and somehow convince Ryuikki to abandon his homosexual ways, get down to business, and conceive an heir. Ryukki naturally falls hopelessly in love with Shurrei, but she has other plans. Turns out her goal is to become the first female Imperial official ever appointed in Saiunkoku. A life devoted to producing heirs for Ryukki just does not fit her agenda. Being a "reverse harem" Shurrei has many other male admirers forcing her to balance her devotion to her career, her obvious affection for Ryukki, and her newly-discovered physical attraction for a possibly dangerous man. Of course these are not Shurrei's only admirers. The shoujo drawing style emphases the "bishie" look. Many of the guys, and most of the women, are "hot," and those that are too young to be hot are adorable. Here's a "cast photo":
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Two other shows that have the same "reverse harem" structure include Hakuoki Shisengami Kitan where a young woman becomes involved the famous samurai group, and Ristorante Paradiso, in which a young Japanese woman follows her mother to Italy and starts to work in an restaurant where all the waiters are middle-aged men who wear glasses. One of them becomes enamored with our young heroine, but they are all so old!
Images

Of the three shows, Hakuoki is the most action-oriented. Saiunkoku is more a political and social drama, and Paradiso has really no action at all.

One other show I'll mention which is truly an "action/adventure" series is Black Lagoon. Whether Rock "harbors unrequited love for" Revy, and vice versa, I'll leave to you.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-09 at 18:11.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 17:52   Link #8
hui4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Your request forms the basis of romantic parts of Saiunkoku Monogatari. Impoverished but ambitious young princess Kou Shurrei is recruited by the Emperor Ryukki's senior advisor to become the Imperial Consort and somehow convince Ryuikki to abandon his homosexual ways, get down to business, and conceive an heir. Ryukki naturally falls hopelessly in love with Shurrei, but she has other plans. Turns out her goal is to become the first female Imperial official ever appointed in Saiunkoku. A life devoted to producing heirs for Ryukki just does not fit her agenda. Being a "reverse harem" Shurrei has many other male admirers forcing her to balance her devotion to her career, her obvious affection for Ryukki, and her newly-discovered physical attraction for a possibly dangerous man. Of course these are not Shurrei's only admirers. The shoujo drawing style emphases the "bishie" look. Many of the guys, and most of the women, are "hot," and those that are too young to be hot are adorable. Here's a "cast photo":
Images

I loved Saiunkoku Monogatari, but lost interest after
Spoiler for the first season:
I haven't touched the series since, so I'll probably check it out again. Thank you all for the terrific suggestions!

Last edited by hui4163; 2012-09-09 at 18:26.
Old 2012-09-09, 17:59   Link #9
kitten320

I would say Fate/Stay Night. Though I found Shiro annoying.

Mawaru Penguindrum had a problem like that. Series are weird and have a lot of twists. They are not action but they are not comedy like Kaichou either.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin had one small arc like that. Like it was building up in the background but whole resolution took only like 2 episodes. Though I liked it. Not exactly action heavy though but dark series.

Vampire Knight had something similar. It is shoujo genre.
Old 2012-09-09, 18:01   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I loved Saiunkoku Monogatari, but lost interest after
Spoiler for one of Shurrei's admirers:
He was such an interesting character! I haven't touched the series since, so I'll probably check it out again. Thank you all for the terrific suggestions!
There's a second unlicensed season available via torrents. It's not as good as season one, but still entertaining.

Could you please spoiler that comment about Sakujun in your post, too? The easiest way is to highlight the text and click the animated caution sign in the editor. Or you can just wrap it in [spoiler][/spoiler] tags.
Old 2012-09-09, 19:25   Link #11
hui4163

Thanks again everyone for giving out more recs!

Lol, I avoided Fate/Stay Night because the girl seemed way cooler than the guy. Shiro seemed liked he'd be one of those "Mary Sue" everyday guys that get swept up into something more sinister -similar to Kai from Blood+, whom, at least to me, couldn't compare to Solomon or Hagi.

Shikibane Hime looks very fascinating, only I wish it were way longer than 13 episodes -story seems to have a lot of potential. Why can't there be more series like this that are 52 or 26 episoders?
Old 2012-09-09, 20:10   Link #12
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Thanks again everyone for giving out more recs!

Lol, I avoided Fate/Stay Night because the girl seemed way cooler than the guy. Shiro seemed liked he'd be one of those "Mary Sue" everyday guys that get swept up into something more sinister -similar to Kai from Blood+, whom, at least to me, couldn't compare to Solomon or Hagi.

Shikibane Hime looks very fascinating, only I wish it were way longer than 13 episodes -story seems to have a lot of potential. Why can't there be more series like this that are 52 or 26 episoders?
Shikabane Hime actually is 26 episodes. The second half had a different name. One half is called Shikabane Hime Aka and the other is Shikabane Hime Kuro. I don't know which is which, as I watched on netflix that just puts it all under Shikabane Hime.
Old 2012-09-10, 08:05   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Another possibility might be Kurozuka. I haven't watched it in quite a while, but I think it fits the profile. It certainly falls into the action/adventure category, but his love isn't exactly "unrequited."

Speaking of unrequited love, if you have never seen the Kon Satoshi movie Millennium Actress, you should watch it some time. The genders are reversed in this case though.

In both these stories the pursuit becomes more of an obsession than a yearning.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-10 at 08:25.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 18:02   Link #14
Midnight2352
The Eternal Mystery
*Author

You have a complicated request but nevertheless, I think i have one that fits your description. Try Hanasakeru Seishonen. It has no magical girl but has action/romance in it and very good looking guys.
Old 2012-09-12, 18:23   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In case you missed my comment in your thread over in General Anime, I'll just reiterate that Genji Monogatari Sennenki certainly fits your request.