AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-31, 19:21   Link #101
Green²
It's Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Spoiler:
Almost

Yet the pain in losing such magic, -a bitterness that remains. The happiness thy can no longer create. Opened the door of Dark magic, it has.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 19:59   Link #102
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
Almost

Yet the pain in losing such magic, -a bitterness that remains. The happiness thy can no longer create. Opened the door of Dark magic, it has.
Not a bad prediction,considering I made it more than a year ago, if I might add.

I ended up watching raws because Af-F was taking too long, and this show was one of the best shows last year. I can't wait till season two
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 03:28   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is such an interesting quirky little show ... love the soundscape and the interesting use of angles that both minimize animation costs but don't detract.
And of course.... I discovered KOTOKO via this show ... so points for that.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-01, 21:57   Link #104
driftr

Hey leechers so sorry we TOOK SO LONG in releasing this series. Not that you care about the dedication given to this series despite personal and group related problems. Not that I saw many of you all answering our recruting calls in chan or via our forums. Not that you understand anything about respect.

But now I can rest in retirement, as the motivation was found for myself to ensure it ended. And what was the motivation? Was it for 'the fans' for theose who appreciate the work or 'support' the series? Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. It was all for me and the obligation I felt to the translator who started it (and the only surviving member) with me.

As for season two, AF-F will sub it if it ever comes out. Signs point to no it will never come out as 2006 came and passed and it was slotted for 2005.

Thanks but no thanks and goodbye.
driftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 01:07   Link #105
Green²
It's Magic

After 39, eh,.. I was thinking probably that they would leave the Magic of Light vs. the Magic of Darkness thing for the next season. Though now, it seems that they could start a new. But that Alice vs. Eva theme would've been richer for an second season. ... Like a big cliffhanger, a la Narutaru. Both good series overall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftr
Hey leechers so sorry we TOOK SO LONG in releasing this series. Not that you care about the dedication given to this series despite personal and group related problems. Not that I saw many of you all answering our recruting calls in chan or via our forums. Not that you understand anything about respect.

But now I can rest in retirement, as the motivation was found for myself to ensure it ended. And what was the motivation? Was it for 'the fans' for theose who appreciate the work or 'support' the series? Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. It was all for me and the obligation I felt to the translator who started it (and the only surviving member) with me.
Cast be the Magic of Light, with upon thee, a voice

-Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll!

Much thanks to AnimeForever for their work in subbing this series.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 01:45   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

As for season two, AF-F will sub it if it ever comes out. Signs point to no it will never come out as 2006 came and passed and it was slotted for 2005.

Thanks but no thanks and goodbye.
Your rant might be more effective if you were addressing a specific poster or posters ... as it is.... people have to have skills to "answer the call" ....

Were you going to train them?

People engage in a hobby to please themselves.... I'd say you lost "the fun" somewhere in there or perhaps you should re-examine your reasons for continuing in it. And being courteous and earning respect works both ways --- if one has set a pattern for release ... it takes seconds to post "I'm being eaten by alligators, but not dead yet" and the people with a clue will understand and appreciate it.

Personally I think fansubbing is an interesting process and plan to start offering editing/translation services as soon I'm relatively comfortable with the language. I will be more interested in groups that behave maturely.
Old 2006-01-02, 08:51   Link #107
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Well, it's over... It was a nice show, although one thing that I really noticed in these last few episodes (possibly in earlier episodes aswell, but it's been a while since I saw those) is that things get rushed alot. Perhaps it's me but there seem to be timeskips, and total lack of explanations sometimes. Ofcourse you could consider that a plus since you can try to fill in the gaps yourself, but I would have preferred to see a more logical flow of events. But all in all, it was fun to watch, with its quirky style and story.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 12:57   Link #108
TronDD
Team the box!

Great show overall but I'll agree there seemed to be a lot of time jumping. I chock it up to the 8 minute episode length. They did a good job of making each episode feel as full as a half hour episode from any other show. I guess the trade off is a few jumps here and there.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-02, 15:37   Link #109
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
It was definitely a pretty nice series. Although it would have been nice if the episodes were longer. Also Alice did get a bit too preachy sometimes for the lack of a better term. Still it was worth watching that's for certian.
Old 2006-01-02, 16:57   Link #110
driftr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Your rant might be more effective if you were addressing a specific poster or posters ... as it is.... people have to have skills to "answer the call" ....

Were you going to train them?

People engage in a hobby to please themselves.... I'd say you lost "the fun" somewhere in there or perhaps you should re-examine your reasons for continuing in it. And being courteous and earning respect works both ways --- if one has set a pattern for release ... it takes seconds to post "I'm being eaten by alligators, but not dead yet" and the people with a clue will understand and appreciate it.

Personally I think fansubbing is an interesting process and plan to start offering editing/translation services as soon I'm relatively comfortable with the language. I will be more interested in groups that behave maturely.
Vexx: i figured leechers was specific enough... and yes trainig was available. http://www.animeforever.org/guides.php And while this link isn't directly available it's advertised in our recruiting chan and was in main room spam. Local to us.
Did you miss my double mentions of retirement? I did quit, but I wasn't going to quit until all I started was finished. And yeah I am/was a member of AF-F, but I'm not speaking on their behalf.. I at least think I have the right to an opinion of my own along with a group opinion.

And respect? That's what my whole rant is about. I consider it respect to the fans to make the effort when possible to provide releases. I don't think it's respectful to have to explain "things come up" whenever there's any delay on any project from any group at any point in the future. How many times has that been said? There's a whole lack of respect in the whole scene, from teammates, to other groups, and from the fans. Such a lack it's almost a want to make a group based off repsect, but then you'd be Sonchou (translates to respect if you didn't figure out) but you'd still be wrong (yeah inside dealings I know all about.)

So take it as you will, but it is a rant posted due to the lack of respect.
Old 2006-01-02, 17:06   Link #111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apologies... the rant just seemed to come out of nowhere and "leecher" kind of has a fluid meaning depending on the "purity" of the speaker. Thanks for clarifying and good luck to you.

"lack of respect" seems to be floating throughout most of the society I live in anymore ... doesn't seem to be confined to this particular subculture. very sad... its one of the reasons watching certain anime appeals to me I suppose. Even when people are in conflict they *respect* each other.
Old 2006-01-03, 14:27   Link #112
TBox

I thought it was a great show all the way until episode 40. Some people started noticing it earlier, I guess, but 40 was where it really started to feel rushed. I think the show could have used three more episodes: 1 for the trip to the human world, 1 for whatever revelations Alice has in the human world, then 1 for the grand finale, and it would have fit the pace of the rest of the series (at least the later episodes.)

As for driftr's rant, although he's addressing the community at large, I feel compelled to defend myself personally. I am a complete and total screw up. Were I to join any team, I would be more hindrance than help. I apologize for being doomed to be on the leeching end forever, but really, I lack the attention span to follow these long term projects... except to pick up the rewards.

Thank you, driftr. I really needed this show.
TBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 23:09   Link #113
driftr

Last episodes...

Isn't the last episode 'feeling rushed' 'a let down' 'being blah' pretty common for anime? After the 'promo' video release compared to the actual series I didn't expect much from the end. Really didn't think it'd have a clean ending when there was the big airing break and before/after they changed the animation style for a few epsiodes. Characters were more human like and less anime. Actually the first episode they did that on they really butchered the animation. In fine timing the ep I thought the raw was bad since the video seemed to be frozen, but no, they just had people speaking over a frozen frame.

Champloo ended nicely. Princess Tutu still stands up in the top 5 animes of all time for me too. FMA movie depending will determine the ending. Gotta love the series that seem to be fully planned out before airing.
Old 2006-01-06, 00:27   Link #114
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
In defense of myself, I seriously considered helping with Af-f's 1.5 years ago when I decided to get into fansubbing. But I then found a japanese friend willing to translate with me, so I decided to start my own project instead of simply helping others. Anyway, I always believed you guys would finish. Af-f has always been principled that way, from my experience.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 02:00   Link #115
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Isn't the last episode 'feeling rushed' 'a let down' 'being blah' pretty common for anime?
Well besides the fact some series are indeed rushed in terms of the final episode(s). It could be because no matter how a series ends, fans often have the urge to see more of what happened. Or at least more detail.
Old 2006-01-07, 19:26   Link #116
TBox

Quote:
Isn't the last episode 'feeling rushed' 'a let down' 'being blah' pretty common for anime? After the 'promo' video release compared to the actual series I didn't expect much from the end. Really didn't think it'd have a clean ending when there was the big airing break and before/after they changed the animation style for a few epsiodes. Characters were more human like and less anime. Actually the first episode they did that on they really butchered the animation. In fine timing the ep I thought the raw was bad since the video seemed to be frozen, but no, they just had people speaking over a frozen frame.
Huh. Couldn't tell you about anime endings in general, I'm still not totally sunk into Anime, just maybe eye-deep. I guess I've just been spoiled in my previous anime.

As for the animation shift, I thought for sure they were trying to pull some sort of aging process on them. I thought the ending was going to be "And oh yeah, the anti aging spell? That was a joke. Look at yourselves, you're growing up already!"

Guess not.
TBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 19:39   Link #117
porchoky

Hmm just finished watching this show, pretty interesting. Only thing that confuses me (other than the last episode) is renon's gender... his/her father refers to him as his son, right? But alice, eva, and shiela all think she's a girl. I personally thing he looks more male than female.
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 12:22   Link #118
driftr

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchoky
Hmm just finished watching this show, pretty interesting. Only thing that confuses me (other than the last episode) is renon's gender... his/her father refers to him as his son, right? But alice, eva, and shiela all think she's a girl. I personally thing he looks more male than female.
Renon is male. The three think Renon was a female because of the garb he wore but they discovered at some point...can't remember the ep. But I thought it was covered in a few places, dunno
Old 2006-08-01, 12:02   Link #119
dragonlord04

Just started watching this series, but can anyone tell me what garucchi means?
dragonlord04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 12:41   Link #120
driftr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlord04 View Post
Just started watching this series, but can anyone tell me what garucchi means?
I don't think it was ever covered. It's not a word in Japanese and is probably some childish word or made up thing Eva is calling Alice. Could be something school children use... who knows.

Give me Alice Adventures -_-