AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 14:25   Link #1
brood-faun

HD space recover issue....

I wondering if anyone encounter this type of problem before with your HD when you delete something, you don't gain any space. I tested the HD with tools for the manufacturing website, it was perfectly fine and plus the HD has no bad cluster. This happens occasionally, but now even thing I delete I still don't get any space back. I disabled the recylebin space for that drive and restarted the computer but no improvement.

Anyone knows how I can recover those precious space since I'm running low on HD space?
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 14:48   Link #2
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

I asume you are using windows: did you ty to use the standard scandisk? The way you described it, it looks more like a logical error, which should be fixable with scandisk. The HD tools from the manufacturer most likely only search for physical errors.
Old 2004-04-06, 15:12   Link #3
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brood-faun
I wondering if anyone encounter this type of problem before with your HD when you delete something, you don't gain any space. I tested the HD with tools for the manufacturing website, it was perfectly fine and plus the HD has no bad cluster. This happens occasionally, but now even thing I delete I still don't get any space back. I disabled the recylebin space for that drive and restarted the computer but no improvement.

Anyone knows how I can recover those precious space since I'm running low on HD space?
Forgive me for sounding obvious, but: Recycle Bin / Trash?

Also, scandisk may find orphaned allocated space which will take up space.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 15:16   Link #4
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brood-faun

If you have Norton installed, the files might be going to Norton's protected recycle bin which is seperate from the normal windows one.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 18:46   Link #5
brood-faun

Well, I did scan the disk, attempt to defrag (I can't since not enough empty space) before asking for help. Good thing, it how solved the issue for the time being but I lost couple of gb of space. I disabled norton recyling bin for all the drives, and I always delete by shift+delete. Really, no point of deleting if I am going to store it in the recyling bin.
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 16:20   Link #6
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
This problem is normal if you have an older version of windows. Some sort of free space bug with them not reporting the correct size available. I think it deletes the file pointers from the FAT but doesn't report it correctly.
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 20:30   Link #7
MasafumiGotoh

Also Should happen if you installed a newer harddrive on a older system. The OS i believe has a limit on how many GB on a HD or something like that. Dont quote me though I not quite the Techie yet.....
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 01:37   Link #8
box-chan

yup yup, FAT 16 and 32 can only go so big before you have to break the drive into partitions.
95 has a well documented error (even with all SPs loaded) that inaccurately reports the amount of free space after files are deleted. It has to do with the swap memory too, but a restart usually (but not always) will fix this.

have you used something like "maxblast!" to put in a new HD? I've had nothing but trouble with that little program.
box-chan is offline   Reply With Quote