AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 14
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 102 45.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 57 25.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 19 8.56%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 7.21%
6 out of 10 : Average... 10 4.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 1.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 8 3.60%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-06, 18:13   Link #141
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Perfect. The best anime in all world and history. No flaw whatsoever because any criticism can, have, and will be answered by the ever vigilant brigade of the fans to be proven wrong. Anyone who says otherwise is dead wrong, has inferior taste (my taste>your taste), and is a heretic that shall be put down by the hammers of fandom. Praise the show or stfu.
In case it isn't clear, that is sarcasm and not meant to be taken seriously
Well, yes, it's sarcasm -- clearly. But, to be clear, I don't think that's the intention of the conversation in this thread. People have opinions -- shocking! And the nature of opinion is that people will see things differently, and value certain things above others. This has been the case every week with this show -- there'll be a few things that some viewers will consider important, while others don't understand why it's that big of an issue. So we discuss it. When one person calls something a flaw or "bad writing", people who didn't consider it a big deal will question that because they didn't see it that way. What do you expect?

Criticism and critique is more than welcome in this thread (and many people have done so!). But people are also welcome to question or disagree with the logic employed in that critique. Otherwise, what should we talk about? (This isn't a battle of fans vs. critics anyway.)
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:15   Link #142
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
Wishful thinking, but I hope they show whatever happens to Yui. I will be sorely dissapointed if they totally close this anime without showing what happens to our digital child. that in the final episode/s.
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:19   Link #143
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nasuverse
Kayaba didn't expect Kirito to surpass the laws of the world. However, my explanation would be Kirito's will to live before killing Kayaba. Call it a dying man's last breath.

I guess the author turned it into Matrix'esque style. The will of the user, if strong enough, can bend the laws of a virtual world.
__________________
joshuafaramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:20   Link #144
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Spoiler for Comparison to Accel World:
Spoiler for Comparison to Accel World:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-06 at 18:24. Reason: added spoiler tags for comparison
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:22   Link #145
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Kayaba didn't expect Kirito to surpass the laws of the world. However, my explanation would be Kirito's will to live before killing Kayaba. Call it a dying man's last breath.

I guess the author turned it into Matrix'esque style. The will of the user, if strong enough, can bend the laws of a virtual world.
If anything Asuna surpassed the law of SAO, moving despite being paralysed/whatever that was by Kayaba. He even says there shouldn't have been a method to free oneself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
This.. confuses me. This isn't the correct thread.. but.. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.. I mean, isn't it way too early to say so?
Well, you could say in this episode Asuna's will has 'overwritten' the numerical values of SAO (moving despite paralysis from game admin).
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:26   Link #146
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nasuverse
Exactly my point. Asuna surpassed the laws of SAO because of her desire to protect Kirito, while Kirito surpassed the laws of SAO because of his desire to avenge everybody.

I know it's super-cheesy and cliche but hey, if your brain is hooked into some kind of program, then there's bound to be some things that can't be explained. Our mind after all, is a mystery in itself. Nobody can ever know how it works or why it works. That's why A.Is are ultimately, impossible to make because for one to create something, one has to have ultimate understanding of the said object.
__________________
joshuafaramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:27   Link #147
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Our mind after all, is a mystery in itself. Nobody can ever know how it works or why it works.
It saddens me that people actually believe that.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:29   Link #148
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Kazu-kun does seem to pull the "My college professors told me what is and isn't good writing, and since my college told me this that means it's the absolute truth and there's no room for differening viewpoints" card an awful lot. :/



Well, that was an unexpected response. I thought it was a genuinely powerful, moving episode and didn't find it cheesy at all.
I really did find this episode an enjoyable watch. And I loved the twist of Heathcliff being Kayaba. I also felt that the Kayaba reveal was very well-executed, and the Heathcliff vs. Kirito fight was pretty good. Finally, I found it pretty funny how much Kayaba looks and stands like a certain Mad Scientisto!

But SAO just pulls too many incredible conveniences for me to truly get swept up in all the emotions of the show. Either one of them alone I'd let slide, but the sequence of them was just too much for me.

And what really capped it off for me was Kirito slowly struggling out of his hospital bed, ripping off a couple cords, and oh-so-very slowly and dramatically walking down a completely empty (yet brilliantly well-cleaned and pristine!) hospital corridor. Here I should mention that my mom's a recently retired nurse, so the sheer absurdity of this scene truly hit home for me (there's no way a hospital with these sorts of facilities would let a patient just walk off like that for that long).

So I honestly started cracking up at the final scene, as it just felt so cheesily overdone to me, like a western movie taking several minutes to show its hero slowly ride off into the sunset.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:30   Link #149
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Well, technically it is still a mystery since there's still quite a bit about the brain we don't understand, though most of its mysteries are expected to be solved during this decade and the next.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:39   Link #150
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Exactly my point. Asuna surpassed the laws of SAO because of her desire to protect Kirito, while Kirito surpassed the laws of SAO because of his desire to avenge everybody.
Considering they showed a shot of Asuna right before Kirito pulled off that Matrix thing, I'd say he did it for Asuna.

Kirito might have accepted the duel for everyone's sake. We see what he's thinking at that moment so the conclusion is easy. But at the last moment, when he was about to die, there was only one thing on his mind: Asuna.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:43   Link #151
Kamui04
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
4) With everyone waking up in the real world, the hospital seemed awfully empty. Heck, the hospital seemed awfully empty, period.
That they were moved doesn't mean they are all in the same hospital. Where can you find one that could house 10K coma patients in a short notice? They were most likely spread across Japan and close or near where each player lived.

In other site someone wrote that today Japan has around 5000 hospitals, spread 10k among those and you have 2 extra coma patients per hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
A part of me has to wonder, though, is it really over? I feel like there was a lot of insinuated story within the game world that never saw the light of day. For instance, I really expected the pvp guild/players aspect to have reared its head at some point in the story, as so much of the earlier episodes seemed to be aimed at laying groundwork for future plot, and that's one aspect who's framework was laid, but never seemed to rear its head like so much of the other game mechanics.
Go back to the Crime in the inner area episodes and remember the faces of the Laughing Coffin members, one had a skull mask; another one had dark skin and square jaw which later appeared among the crowd in Kuradeel vs Kirito's duel. Now watch the scene where Kayaba says everyone is being logged out and he browses the list which has little face icons, all of them are familiar faces including the three Laughing Coffin Members which are between Sasha and Yulier. Since they survived and are being logged out, they might appear later.

Damn we even got to know Klein's friends/guildmates: Harry One, Issin, Dynamm, Kunimitzz and Dale.
The Holy Dragon Guild has Yamata, Shivata, Lind and Schmitt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
That part had me wondering if the combat in SA:O isn't quite as awesome as it seemed, if most player's moves are actually just the equivalent of pressing a button, as the insinuation seemed to be that scripted moves were part of combat. I always assumed up 'till now that this was a truly free-form combat system where the players were 100% required to move on their own.
Then you forgot what Kirito explained to Klein in the first episode. He explained that to pull a sword skill you have to go thru the initial motion and once the system recognizes it the rest is automatic and even helps you with the targeting/aim.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:44   Link #152
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So I honestly started cracking up at the final scene, as it just felt so cheesily overdone to me, like a western movie taking several minutes to show its hero slowly ride off into the sunset.
I'm hoping it wasn't cheesy at all, and was really just a sinister tease to letting us know that they're not in the real world at all! They've simply moved from one virtual world to another!
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:45   Link #153
royrbff
Foxhound
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to royrbff
Nice episode! not the best of the series but was very enjoyable. I can't wait to see what would happen next.
royrbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:53   Link #154
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Here's the main thing for me, to elaborate a bit more on what I wrote in reply to Dr. Casey.

Let's say that SAO was a straight-up Tolkien-esque fantasy show. Let's say that Kirito and Asuna were magically powered knights hunting down the villain that has plagued our fair lands with hordes of horrible beasts and monsters that have caused normal life to grind to a painful stop. And let's say a dramatic reveal is made that the Governor-Commander of the capitol of our fair lands is actually the villain himself! Shock and awe, and he's used magic to paralyze everybody, leaving an one-on-one duel between him and the Dark Duel-Wielding Knight Kirito!

But then Kirito's love Asuna overcomes the paralysis to save Kirito from a death-dealing blow. But she seems to die herself! And then Kirito seemingly dies himself. But then his magical avatar of sorts fights on and defeats the villain King Kayaba! Yay, Aincard is saved!

Due to being magical knights, Kirito and Asuna discover that sheer force of will is enough to empower them to overcome even seemingly lethal blows. A bit contrived, perhaps, but given the setting and the magic involved, I could roll with it. Besides, once you involve superpowers of any sort, you expect things to get stretched a bit.


But these aren't magical knights. And they don't have superpowers. These are normal kids playing a video game. I'm sorry, shounen fans, but while I can kind of see sheer force of will enabling the likes of Ichigo Kurosaki to take it to the next level and beat Aizen, I have a much bigger problem with someone completely breaking a very mathematically and scientifically-based MMO.

And here's what disappointed me the most - Didn't Kirito pick up an one-time "rescue from dead" item way back in Episode 3? This would have been the perfect opportunity to make use of that!

Kirito uses that item to believably bring Asuna back, and Kirito and Asuna then team-up to take down the Big Bad Boss. Then the only thing I have to let slide is Asuna somehow overcoming the paralysis effect. By itself, that wouldn't be too bad.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:55   Link #155
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And here's what disappointed me the most - Didn't Kirito pick up an one-time "rescue from dead" item way back in Episode 3? This would have been the perfect opportunity to make use of that!
He gave it to Klein (in that same episode 3), who was a) paralysed in the present, and b) probably used it a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But these aren't magical knights. And they don't have superpowers. These are normal kids playing a video game.
To be fair... we don't totally know the basis for their abilities right now. We know that they exceeded the rules of the world, per Kayaba (the person who built said world, so he would know). How, why, with what ability, etc.? TBD...
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 18:58   Link #156
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And here's what disappointed me the most - Didn't Kirito pick up an one-time "rescue from dead" item way back in Episode 3? This would have been the perfect opportunity to make use of that!
Yes, he did, but he gave to Klein and told him to use it on the next person he sees die. Even if Klein still had that item, he wouldn't able to use it because he was paralyzed, and well, because he wasn't in love with Kirito. ;p
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:01   Link #157
Esebian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Here's the main thing for me, to elaborate a bit more on what I wrote in reply to Dr. Casey.

Let's say that SAO was a straight-up Tolkien-esque fantasy show. Let's say that Kirito and Asuna were magically powered knights hunting down the villain that has plagued our fair lands with hordes of horrible beasts and monsters that have caused normal life to grind to a painful stop. And let's say a dramatic reveal is made that the Governor-Commander of the capitol of our fair lands is actually the villain himself! Shock and awe, and he's used magic to paralyze everybody, leaving an one-on-one duel between him and the Dark Duel-Wielding Knight Kirito!

But then Kirito's love Asuna overcomes the paralysis to save Kirito from a death-dealing blow. But she seems to die herself! And then Kirito seemingly dies himself. But then his magical avatar of sorts fights on and defeats the villain King Kayaba! Yay, Aincard is saved!

Due to being magical knights, Kirito and Asuna discover that sheer force of will is enough to empower them to overcome even seemingly lethal blows. A bit contrived, perhaps, but given the setting and the magic involved, I could roll with it. Besides, once you involve superpowers of any sort, you expect things to get stretched a bit.


But these aren't magical knights. And they don't have superpowers. These are normal kids playing a video game. I'm sorry, shounen fans, but while I can kind of see sheer force of will enabling the likes of Ichigo Kurosaki to take it to the next level and beat Aizen, I have a much bigger problem with someone completely breaking a very mathematically and scientifically-based MMO.

And here's what disappointed me the most - Didn't Kirito pick up an one-time "rescue from dead" item way back in Episode 3? This would have been the perfect opportunity to make use of that!

Kirito uses that item to believably bring Asuna back, and Kirito and Asuna then team-up to take down the Big Bad Boss. Then the only thing I have to let slide is Asuna somehow overcoming the paralysis effect. By itself, that wouldn't be too bad.
You got one thing wrong, Kirito didn't die, the scene in which we could see him falling to the ground was his imagination what would happen next, not sth that did actually happen (although that was a bit weird and not rly easy to see, the glowing in yellow doesn't make that easier XD)

EDIT: Well he didn't die in the sense that his avatar didn't fell into pixels I mean, ofc his life bar hits 0 ^^
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:04   Link #158
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yes, he did, but he gave to Klein and told him to use it on the next person he sees die. Even if Klein still had that item, he wouldn't able to use it because he was paralyzed, and well, because he wasn't in love with Kirito. ;p
Thanks to you and relentlessflame for the info. I had forgotten that part of it.

Ok, now I have a different interpretation for this final episode that makes it a bit more believable for me, and which fujoshis should absolutely love. But I'll keep it to myself.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:10   Link #159
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks to you and relentlessflame for the info. I had forgotten that part of it.

Ok, now I have a different interpretation for this final episode that makes it a bit more believable for me, and which fujoshis should absolutely love. But I'll keep it to myself.
I sort of want to hear it.

Hmm.. something along the lines of:

After Heathcliff hit Asuna, and her HP hit 0, Klein, not having used the resurrection crystal, managed to break free from the paralysis due to his strong feelings for Kirito, which allowed him to use the crystal to revive Asuna?
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:14   Link #160
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
This episode was amazing and emotionally beautiful. The 2nd fight between Kirito and Heathcliff/Kayaba was much better than the 1st fight.

And too many things made me cry in this episode, Asuna's "death" and Kirito's reaction, both of them reuniting again on the top of the game world, the scene where they tell their real names and embracing as the world ends and finally, a weak bodied Kirito, struggling to get up from his hospital bed, searching for Asuna. I could't stop crying. ;_;

Another best episode. 10 out of 10!
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.