AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-11, 12:58   Link #701
HybridBloodsZak
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Theoria is certainly giving vibes she is hiding something big as we get another look of concern from Rin.
Yeah was noticing that too, her look right before Izuru's pager rings was suspicious
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 14:13   Link #702
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Well, so we do have a SEED mode in this show.

I think I can see why this Earth military constantly fails. They're idiots. You have a teenage pilot that you know has mental issues and is a potential loose cannon, and could potentially destroy your team, but instead of doing anything about it. You leave the decidedly inexperienced teenage teammates to handle it. Smart, really, really smart guys.

On top of that, they seem to be using tech and doing things with their pilots that they still don't understand. This alien tech is beyond their comprehension and obviously so is its effects on the pilots. Izuru had his SEED mode right after having a tete-a-tete with Teoria, and I think the experiences are related. I'm also speculating if Ange is having SEED transformations as well, but since Black 6 doesn't transform when Ange does, I'm sticking with the split-personality.

Speaking of Ange, I think it was quite a plot contrivence to make Ange and expert at everything, and to be better than any of the team in EVERYTHING, and yet, still have her unable to phase Jiart. How could Jiart find her a worse opponent than Izuru? He chose Izuru because he's the best fighter in the team. Yet, Ange IS a better fighter than Izuru. And Izuru's mech was easily bested by hers before, but now when the plot says so she can do nothing against Jiart? I find that ridiculous.

Also, they seem to be staying with the in-joke of never revealing Ange's gender. I'm seriously considering that Ange's two separate personalities have two separate genders, where the nice but expert one is female, but the battle one is male. I also am going with her being physically female since the female personality seems to be the one in view most of the time.

As for the animation, the fights were good, and the battle between Jiart and Izuru was very good. Despite the fact that they want to indicate a KeixIzuru relationship according to the ED, Teoria is still doing her best Lacus Clyne impression and is proving to be the real moving force in Izuru's life. And I have to say that Teoria has the majority of the emotional hold on Izuru's heart while he doesn't even seem to notice Kei's hidden affection, that Asagi can clearly see. So, I honestly don't know which way things will go romance-wise.

As for next week, it will be a downtime episode again. Hopefully not for long. We got to see Team Doberman this episode, so maybe they will also be in the next one.
I give this episode a 7.5/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laevatein View Post
If one personality is male and the other is female, does that mean Ange is transgender?
I doubt it. Ange doesn't seem to be trying to actively be going from his/her original gender to the opposite. He/she doesn't cross-dress, nor do I doubt, is Ange a transsexual. Having two different personalities that are two distinct people suggest him/her being bipolar or having dissociative identity disorder. However, it just so happens that the secondary personality that split off from the original one, could have a completely different gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post

anyway this ep1 Ange hate to be called Ange-chan = male?
+
Cool mecha fight (another berserk)
Not so sure, even with that. I've seen anime females, even lolis, who hate being called "chan". So, it's really still up in the air.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2013-07-11 at 14:31.
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 14:32   Link #703
Puu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Speaking of Ange, I think it was quite a plot contrivence to make Ange and expert at everything, and to be better than any of the team in EVERYTHING, and yet, still have her unable to phase Jiart. How could Jiart find her a worse opponent than Izuru? He chose Izuru because he's the best fighter in the team. Yet, Ange IS a better fighter than Izuru. And Izuru's mech was easily bested by hers before, but now when the plot says so she can do nothing against Jiart? I find that ridiculous. .
I kind of expected that, though. Ange's strength in battle is that he sort of bum-rushes into enemies without thinking. Brute force vs taking the time to dodge attacks etc. It seems to me like Jiart is the fastest enemy unit there is and just bumrushing and using long-range weapons (which Ange seems to do a lot) won't work. I seem to remember the first time Izuru and Jiart faced off, he realized this fact very soon and switched to attempting close-ranged attacks.

Also, having Ange be better than Kei at cooking really isn't much of an achievement... for all we know, Ange's baking skills may just be standard but being constantly faced with the sugar horrors of Kei, everyone else believes it's the best thing ever....

Anyway, I loved that fight scene in this episode. This show is mediocre in a lot of areas but mech fights. That was just amazing!
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 15:10   Link #704
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
I kind of expected that, though. Ange's strength in battle is that he sort of bum-rushes into enemies without thinking. Brute force vs taking the time to dodge attacks etc. It seems to me like Jiart is the fastest enemy unit there is and just bumrushing and using long-range weapons (which Ange seems to do a lot) won't work. I seem to remember the first time Izuru and Jiart faced off, he realized this fact very soon and switched to attempting close-ranged attacks.

I would think that if it wasn't for the fact that Ange does seem to employ strategy. She used strategy to avoid Izuru's shots, get him all turned around before coming in with the "killing blow" in the end. He also used strategy when taking out some of the Wulgaru fighters last episode. It does appear that when angered he/she rushes her opponents with brute force, but there are times when Ange uses subtler tactics, such as her knowing which weapons to use at which time and when to use speed to confuse, etc.

I really think that they only reason why she suddenly couldn't hold her own against Jiart, who has had trouble against Izuru even without the power-up, is simply because Izuru is the MC and the plot says so. They keep wanting to push him at us as this awesome leader and hero, and while I agree he is a pretty nice guy and can influence and help others, he's nowhere near the great leader MC that they are trying to say he is.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 15:22   Link #705
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: (◣_◢)
Now this is mech. Sunrise can learn a thing or two.
__________________
Drkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 15:27   Link #706
Cloudedmind
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I would think that if it wasn't for the fact that Ange does seem to employ strategy. She used strategy to avoid Izuru's shots, get him all turned around before coming in with the "killing blow" in the end. He also used strategy when taking out some of the Wulgaru fighters last episode. It does appear that when angered he/she rushes her opponents with brute force, but there are times when Ange uses subtler tactics, such as her knowing which weapons to use at which time and when to use speed to confuse, etc.

I really think that they only reason why she suddenly couldn't hold her own against Jiart, who has had trouble against Izuru even without the power-up, is simply because Izuru is the MC and the plot says so. They keep wanting to push him at us as this awesome leader and hero, and while I agree he is a pretty nice guy and can influence and help others, he's nowhere near the great leader MC that they are trying to say he is.

I think we need to also take into consideration the circumstances of the battle between Izuru and Ange. It was a mock battle against a new teammate in which Izuru wasn't really sure what to do. He says as much in the dialog. As such I don't think Izuru was going all out/as serious against Ange as he is when he fights Jiart. The fight against Ange just wasn't as serious for Izuru, as he's not really fighting for his life or the life of his friends. If he loses against Jiart then well it's kind of over. Different mindsets for each battle as it were.

Sure Ange probably should have been able to do more with what we've seen Ange do before, but I don't disbelieve that Izuru would do better in a fight against Jiart then against Ange since one fight is more noteworthy.


And poor Patrick I expect him to die now that he's fallen for Tamaki. xD
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 15:37   Link #707
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I think we need to also take into consideration the circumstances of the battle between Izuru and Ange. It was a mock battle against a new teammate in which Izuru wasn't really sure what to do. He says as much in the dialog. As such I don't think Izuru was going all out/as serious against Ange as he is when he fights Jiart. The fight against Ange just wasn't as serious for Izuru, as he's not really fighting for his life or the life of his friends. If he loses against Jiart then well it's kind of over. Different mindsets for each battle as it were.

Sure Ange probably should have been able to do more with what we've seen Ange do before, but I don't disbelieve that Izuru would do better in a fight against Jiart then against Ange since one fight is more noteworthy.


And poor Patrick I expect him to die now that he's fallen for Tamaki. xD
I guess, perhaps it just doesn't make sense to me, for them to have a badass character and then have a whole episode and a half to show that they're badass, only for them to be easily outmaneuvered in the same episode just so the MC can shine. It's like you're sacrificing one character for another. I think it would have been better if Ange had never being able to interact with Jiart and had been locked in her own battle at the time.

I wish someone would die in this series, there hasn't been really any stakes thus far, since all main characters live no matter the danger, and the only ones to die have been the Soldier As. Say what you want about Sunrise, but at least you could tell there was some gravity to whatever war they happened to be fighting.

However, maybe I should be glad that there's actually ONE boy out there who is truly interested in Tamaki. Maybe if she finally gets a boyfriend, she won't be so annoying.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 16:26   Link #708
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
The mecha battles in this show are really glorious. Nothing too interesting beyond that this week, other than the emergence of the seed mode/transam/whatever they'll call this.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 16:48   Link #709
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I guess, perhaps it just doesn't make sense to me, for them to have a badass character and then have a whole episode and a half to show that they're badass, only for them to be easily outmaneuvered in the same episode just so the MC can shine. It's like you're sacrificing one character for another. I think it would have been better if Ange had never being able to interact with Jiart and had been locked in her own battle at the time.
I agree with what Cloudedmind said. Izuru was surprised in that mock battle and never fought Ange with all he’s got. For me, Ange is more of the berserker type who rushes to the enemies. Note that a berserker can still use tactics like choosing weapons, luring enemies, etc. Still, a berserker is quite unstable and at some point, bound to make some tactical mistakes when facing an equally-strong enemy which is smarter and cool-headed like Jiart.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 16:54   Link #710
waffler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
dang izuru was beast this fight it would be nice if he could do that every fight lol
waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 17:05   Link #711
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: T dot Ohhhhhh
Age: 27
Best Mech fight I have seen in a long time.

Valvrave has nothing on these fights, Jiato (spelling?) was throwing his sword in the air and striking Izuru, who was dodging like he was a BOSS.

This fight brought me back to the old days of Zero vs Epyon. Man I love it.
__________________
"Hey Joe Rogan, there is something you don't know about me...i smoke rocks!!!"
Tyrone Biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 17:25   Link #712
Tenzen12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
When Lacus appeared my mood went right down to zero. I was sure episode was ruined for good.

But her brother appeared and saved day. I am not sure if it was best mecha battle I ever seen, but definitely I can't remember any better. Poor third rate Valvraves pale in comparison.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-07-11 at 19:55.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 19:49   Link #713
Algent
IDTI, IDTI.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Age: 24
It's certainly is one of the best mecha battle scene I've seen in a long time. It was very fast yet completely animated .
It would have been perfect without everyone saying "Iruzu ?!" so often.
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 20:25   Link #714
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algent View Post
It's certainly is one of the best mecha battle scene I've seen in a long time. It was very fast yet completely animated .
It would have been perfect without everyone saying "Iruzu ?!" so often.
I've been a long-time mecha fan, literally starting anime with mecha, and I have to give credit here. That was one of the best mecha fighting sequences I have ever seen. It was so well animated and done so well that I really was lost for any words.

In all honesty MJP has been kind of a "meh" for me. I've liked it, but it's really lacked anything of great interest. These most recent episodes have really been shaping up though, and admittedly this battle really seals the deal for my interest in this. It was nice to see that there was something more to give it a bit more development.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 20:50   Link #715
Excorsism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Majestic Prince showing off the pretty battles once again, great stuff. I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to see Asagi do stuff but I guess he took care of the grunts off-screen like a real champ. Here's hoping we'll see all the AHSMB units super form along the way.

And I'm hoping they'll have a major battle coming up soon that'll last longer than one episode.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32974&dateline=119918  5263
Excorsism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 21:02   Link #716
shadow1296
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
man that fight was intense, i haven't seen a fight like that in a mech anime in a while, say what will about valvrave or gargantia, but neither of them had a fight as strong as the one jiart and izuru had and this was just a mid season fight i can't even imagine what the finally fight will be like
__________________
shadow1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 22:31   Link #717
Reality_Breaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Puerto Rico
Age: 25
Amazing ep. loved Izuru and Jiart's fight, they made Valverave look second rate in comparison, now all I need is a IzuruxKei ending and I'll be happy.
__________________
Reality_Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 22:33   Link #718
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Please don't use the manga to spoil potential anime plot. I've removed a few posts hinting already, but I will issue infractions if the behavior continues.

Thanks.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 22:44   Link #719
Puu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Speaking of the plot, I speculate that
Spoiler for Episode 14 speculation/spoilers? ~~:
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 23:03   Link #720
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
Speaking of the plot, I speculate that
Spoiler for Episode 14 speculation/spoilers? ~~:
Spoiler for interesting development speculation:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I agree with what Cloudedmind said. Izuru was surprised in that mock battle and never fought Ange with all he’s got. For me, Ange is more of the berserker type who rushes to the enemies. Note that a berserker can still use tactics like choosing weapons, luring enemies, etc. Still, a berserker is quite unstable and at some point, bound to make some tactical mistakes when facing an equally-strong enemy which is smarter and cool-headed like Jiart.
I don't know, I just can't really believe that. Maybe it's because I'm bias. I freely admit that Ange is my favorite character so far since she brings more stakes, action, and drama to a series that I feel had been lacking that.

I know there is many here who like MJP because it's more laid back than other mecha, but unfortunately I'm not one of those. I am a Gundam/Sunrise fangirl and so when I watch mecha I come with certain expectations. I think MJP has had some really good animated fights, but not so much good development in the plot or character department. They were beginning to make a change with the beginning of this second half and I hope that it keeps up.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.