AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-11, 23:22   Link #721
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I know there is many here who like MJP because it's more laid back than other mecha, but unfortunately I'm not one of those. I am a Gundam/Sunrise fangirl and so when I watch mecha I come with certain expectations. I think MJP has had some really good animated fights, but not so much good development in the plot or character department. They were beginning to make a change with the beginning of this second half and I hope that it keeps up.
Surprisingly I agree with this.

Up to now the development in characters in MJP has been fleeting. I feel like a lot of the first half was spend on trying to keep a certain pace and slowly integrate that information so that the latter half could get the brunt of the development and the action. Now that they've pushed all the slow material out of the way, they seem to be ramping up to the real show.
Old 2013-07-11, 23:27   Link #722
whsie

I honestly don't know how anyone can take last week's episode as a true gauge of Izuru's true ability. One side was going all out while the other was kinda of confused. Izuru was like "Uh..., so how should I do this?" Even if we disregard the fight we just saw, there is a night and day difference in focus/intensity between Izuru's first fight with the Prince and the fight mock fight Izuru had with Ange.

By now, I think it's clear that melee combat is king in this series. At the highest level, a cannon or gun just won't cut it. The mechs in this series are too fast for that. This was something Izuru recognized in the 1st fight and therefore went all melee as well.

As for the series itself. I agree that the character development has been stagnating since episode 10 or so and the two week break didn't help things out. Nevertheless, that was one of the best mech battle animations I've seen in a long while.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 23:48   Link #723
waffler

in the ED is that izuru and asagi holding hands? lol
waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 23:55   Link #724
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
in the ED is that izuru and asagi holding hands? lol
Hope you meant Kei... lol

They were both wearing long sleeves only the scene right before. So it could just be misdirection. I'm holding off judgement on who for Izuru since there is probably a lot to learn about Teoria since she has been rather mysterious up till now.
Old 2013-07-12, 00:11   Link #725
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Hope you meant Kei... lol
But will Kei watch "special videos" with Izuru like Asagi does for major bonding points?!
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 00:32   Link #726
waffler

id rather have izuru and kei together than izuru and theoria i dont know if im the only one though xD
Old 2013-07-12, 01:15   Link #727
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Finally caught up on the last two episodes. Man, this show keeps one upping its own battles! Episode 13 you're like "Holy shit Angie's a badass!" and then episode 14 you're like "Holy shit Angie got tossed aside like nothing and Izuru was amazing!"

I haven't really enjoyed mech anime in years, but this show hits all the right notes. Also, a mech with a chainsaw gunsword. What was that about specialization, Angie?
Old 2013-07-12, 01:28   Link #728
Tenzen12

Quote:
id rather have izuru and kei together than izuru and theoria i dont know if im the only one though xD
You definitely aren't only one, actualy so far I didn't noticed anyone shiping Izuru and Lacus. Which is definitely sign of good taste.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 05:50   Link #729
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My view on Ange vs. Izuru...

Ange consistently tries his best, at everything (as this latest episode makes very clear). This is especially true when in "snapped" mode.

Izuru only tries his best in high-emotion moments where he can feel it, where his blood gets pumping and brings out the inner hero in him. Izuru doesn't feel it in a practice match against a teammate, because there's nothing on the line there except professional ego, and Izuru ironically has little ego (his hero ideal is a very pure one, you could say, as Izuru doesn't particularly care about any fame or fortune that can arise from being an effective hero). But Izuru definitely does feel it after he gets a pep-talk from the beautiful mysterious girl who calls him a hero, and while he's facing his ultimate rival who's the ace pilot of the enemy army.

Izuru vs. Jiart is the dream fight for both of them - For Izuru, he becomes the shining knight facing the most powerful dragon that must be slain in order for him to be the hero (and get the Princess ), so it brings out all of Izuru's inner passion and strength. For Jiart, he's facing the one enemy that can actually be a pleasurable challenge to him, so he too rises to the occasion in incredible ways.

Izuru at his best > Any other protagonist pilot in this show, including Ange at his best.

But Normal!Ange > Normal!Izuru

And I agree with Solace on Majestic Prince's combat scenes. They are truly fantastic. Whatever weaknesses the show may have on the characterization end of things, it more than makes up for it with some absolutely glorious mecha battles. Izuru vs. Jiart in this episode was truly a thing of beauty. I definitely look forward to their next battle.
Old 2013-07-12, 06:03   Link #730
bastek66

That was glorious
Old 2013-07-12, 08:30   Link #731
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
That battle was freaking badass. So fast and smooth. Gonna have to watch it few more times cuz' my eyes couldn't keep up. ^^

I'm really enjoying Majestic Prince and it's relaxed feel. Nice comedy, character interaction and sweet mecha action. Next week can't come soon enough.
Old 2013-07-12, 10:13   Link #732
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
You definitely aren't only one, actualy so far I didn't noticed anyone shiping Izuru and Lacus. Which is definitely sign of good taste.
says you. I'm leaning more towards them at the moment.
Old 2013-07-12, 10:55   Link #733
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And I agree with Solace
I'm on fire.

Quote:
on Majestic Prince's combat scenes. They are truly fantastic. Whatever weaknesses the show may have on the characterization end of things, it more than makes up for it with some absolutely glorious mecha battles. Izuru vs. Jiart in this episode was truly a thing of beauty. I definitely look forward to their next battle.
I find the characterization refreshing. It's silly, but there's an endearing charm to it. The characters all have little quirks and stuff that seem cliche but help to highlight scenes and even running gags, like the ulcer joke being used by anyone other than Asagi. I really enjoy the show taking the time to weave the cast together, because it makes them more memorable and less like a piece of the set. It's not perfect, some characters are still pretty shallow, but it's handled pretty well.

The fanservice isn't pushing the envelope either. The worst offense is Irie's ridiculous breasts, but it's more like they're just...present. When I think of other mech anime recently, and anime in general, Majestic Prince comes off as relatively "clean" and far less exploitative of sex and violence, and in a way that's kind of nice. Frankly, the show doesn't need it, and in my opinion the lack of those things has not only enhanced my enjoyment of the show, it feels like the show is liberated by not relying on those elements to grab the audience.

When I watch something like Valvrave, I just feel like the writers are grabbing for shock value and outrageous stuff to pull the audience in, and it works, obviously. And there's an audience for it, too, but I feel it's become a bit too dominant lately in anime. But I feel there's a spot for stuff like Majestic Prince as well, and I'm thankful stuff like this is still made.
Old 2013-07-12, 11:34   Link #734
Key Board
Donut

To me, I feel as if most of the characters are caricatures. Especially at the start of the show.

Isuru is my favorite character, because he actually makes me curious.
I'm probably watching the show to see how his journey concludes

But for the rest.. well.. I like this show. I follow it every. But I'm not.. what's the word.. emotionally invested?

It doesn't make me wait in anticipation for each new episode.
It doesn't make me consider watching the raw episode on livestream
It doesn't make me ponder about the future of the characters.
I mean.. I like them, but it doesn't get me seriously thinking about their fate and future

It doesn't get a reaction from me unlike say.. certain (but not all) characters in Gargantia or Valvrave

Which bring me to my next point. PERSONALLY, I think this show needs more tension.

//

-- Mushoku Tensei. on the dangers of osananajimi attachment
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 14:02   Link #735
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The characters all have little quirks and stuff that seem cliche but help to highlight scenes and even running gags, like the ulcer joke being used by anyone other than Asagi.
Hey, hey, those ulcers are serious beeswax. They could get him killed one day! Not to mention the amount of effort he puts into trying to keep them at bay. Aroma candles, a small necklace with some sort of relaxing agent, etc, etc, .
Old 2013-07-12, 16:04   Link #736
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
says you. I'm leaning more towards them at the moment.
So there is someone! Nice to meet you.
Old 2013-07-12, 17:16   Link #737
waffler

there was something i didnt understand in this ep, they said that the robot couldnt keep up with izurus commands but i thought the mech moves by itself depending on the emotions of the pilot or something?
Old 2013-07-12, 17:23   Link #738
Tenzen12

It can be said mecha moves depending on the emotions of the pilot (though it's simplification), but this time Izuru emotions were too strong than hardware could handle as he was pushing it over went it's limits.
Old 2013-07-12, 17:46   Link #739
cyberdemon

Quote:
there was something i didnt understand in this ep, they said that the robot couldnt keep up with izurus commands but i thought the mech moves by itself depending on the emotions of the pilot or something?
even so there is a limit to how much a machine and the human can take. They are just prototypes after all so there are still flaws and weaknesses to be worked out. The human factor is also a big deal as well since they have to keep limits on so that it won't hurt the human to just use it like taking it past a speed that the human body can handle. Izuru seems to be special though and it probably wasn't taken too deeply into consideration during planning or was just underestimated. Gundam 00 had a realistic approach to it in that there are just speeds and reaction times that the human body just can't handle.
Old 2013-07-12, 19:01   Link #740
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm on fire.
OH NO SOLACE IS ON FIRE!

Quote:
I really enjoy the show taking the time to weave the cast together, because it makes them more memorable and less like a piece of the set. It's not perfect, some characters are still pretty shallow, but it's handled pretty well.
Even though these main characters beyond Izuru, Kei, and Angie aren't particularly interesting to me, I feel like I have more interest in these characters because they feel more like characters rather than objects. The cast isn't being used to move plot. They're not giving out constant exposition or being used to extract sympathy from our viewer hearts.

One recurring thing in MJP is that the cast is constantly in the dark, and they find out all the answers when we do. Because they're not moving the plot, in a way I think it makes them more endearing. They're the main cast and they're important, but they're not plot, they're just part of the story.
When I think of other mech anime recently, and anime in general, Majestic Prince comes off as relatively "clean" and far less exploitative of sex and violence, and in a way that's kind of nice. Frankly, the show doesn't need it, and in my opinion the lack of those things has not only enhanced my enjoyment of the show, it feels like the show is liberated by not relying on those elements to grab the audience.

Quote:
When I watch something like Valvrave, I just feel like the writers are grabbing for shock value and outrageous stuff to pull the audience in, and it works, obviously. And there's an audience for it, too, but I feel it's become a bit too dominant lately in anime. But I feel there's a spot for stuff like Majestic Prince as well, and I'm thankful stuff like this is still made.
This is pretty much my issue with Valvrave. Admittedly that show has some interesting things going on, but it feels so hideously scripted. A clear example of a show that's running off a formula, evidenced even more so by the studio producing it.

In a way I actually appreciate that severe downtime that I was mocking a couple episodes back. It's strange to say it, but somehow I prefer to be mildly bored than see some blatant grab at my emotions through shock value or other means. The entertainment I derive from shock value scenes and other poorly written attempts to appeal to me don't come from the scenes themselves; it comes from me verbally mocking and laughing at them.

I suppose the roundabout comment I'm making here is that MJP is actually written nicely, and it has good production values. As has been said by me and others, this most recent episode's animation was beyond above average. Even after the fact I still acknowledge those scenes to be some of the most well-animated ones I've ever seen, even compared to big titles like Gundam Unicorn. If you go over this fight sequence frame by frame it's almost breathtaking to see that nearly every frame is clean.

Quote:
This is actually a throwback to a certain classic. The original Real Robot Mecha: Mobile Suit Gundam! In seriousness though, the idea that the reaction time of the pilot has become so quick that his machine isn't able to keep up because of physical limitations stems from newtypes, as far as I'm aware. If you think of it in terms of a car throttle, for instance, you can depress the pedal as fast as you want but your engine wont immediately increase power because it has to relay and perform your input first, and this takes time. It also takes time for it to derive an increased amount of energy from the process. In your every day life your reaction time severely outperforms that of your automobile's engine. Alas, we're still not newtypes.

Last edited by Traece; 2013-07-12 at 19:05. Reason: Response to Waffler
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction