AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-10-15, 21:44   Link #1
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
How can you tell what an original anime's demographic is?

When I say 'original', I mean an anime that was not an adaptation from a manga, light novel, or game, so the audience cannot be easily identified already.

This is just a very curious thing to me. I'm sure most fans don't think it matters...but...sometimes it drives me insane. >_> (I'm in a debate with some members at another forum over Princess Tutu's demographic/target audience.
They think the show was intended for children....and I don't.)

Is there such a thing as "this anime is for EVERYONE"? Miyazaki Hayao's works seem to fall into this. I think Tutu falls into this as well. There are some small things kids might appreciate but so many more other things adults/older teens would appreciate much more.

And please don't say "If you like it, watch it." I already follow that but I'm looking for a true answer, here, okay? The answer won't have any effect on what I choose to watch.
Old 2012-10-15, 21:46   Link #2
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Character design and personality:
Moe chara: 40 year old men who are virgins
Childish designs: small kids

Sometimes the rules are broken: K-ON went for the teenage girl demographic

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 22:02   Link #3
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I try to find what time the show airs and make my judgement from that. If it airs at 1:30, it's probably not for kids.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 22:03   Link #4
hyl
smile

I don't think it's different from looking up it's demographic target for anything else.
Just analyze it's content and genre and that should give you a big idea for whom it was primarily written.

Eventhough you are emphasizing on original work, but even if was an adaptation there was still an original for that.
Also some adaptations can have a different target than the original. Like eroge adaptation are most likely going to target the teens as well by not having sexual scenes in it (and because you can't broadcast that on tv)
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 22:20   Link #5
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Just analyze it's content and genre and that should give you a big idea for whom it was primarily written.
This simply doesn't work all the time. Especially when a show feels so "mixed" with both light and dark content.
Old 2012-10-15, 22:25   Link #6
hyl
smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
This simply doesn't work all the time. Especially when a show feels so "mixed" with both light and dark content.
Being "mixed" is not an excuse for not being able to see how something is written and what genre it has.
Eventhough I haven't watched princess tutu, but i think you are talking about "judging a book by it' s cover". It may look like a children show based on the art and for the people who don't know the story, but "quick looks" are sometimes pretty deceiving (Madoka anime cough cough).

Last edited by hyl; 2012-10-15 at 22:36. Reason: reworded in a less awkward way
Old 2012-10-15, 22:46   Link #7
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A few general rules of thumb:

1) If the content of the show has at least a couple very graphic moments (i.e. a brutal death scene, a sex scene that's on the level of something straight out of an eroge), then it's probably not for kids/pre-teens. So, for example, if anybody thinks that Madoka Magica is for pre-teen girls, there's a couple scenes in it that makes it pretty clear that it isn't for pre-teen girls.

2) If the show has a complex plot and/or very nuanced characters, it's probably hoping to appeal to adults. It might be an anime that's aiming to appeal to adults and kids (i.e. that show that's for EVERYONE, like you said), but it definitely is trying to appeal to adults directly.

3) If a show has a lot of female character fanservice, it's probably intended for adult men. If a show has a lot of male character fanservice, it's probably intended for fujoshis or adult women. If it has both, it's probably intended for a mature audience in general.

Now, for a show to be for EVERYONE, I think it would need a complex plot and/or very nuanced characters (like I alluded to before), but it would also need to not have much in the way of graphic content. The complex plot/nuanced characters shows that it's for adults - the lack of graphic content shows it's for kids. Does Princess Tutu meet these prerequisites? I couldn't say, as I've never seen the show. But if you're going to argue that Princess Tutu is a show intended for everyone, then showing how its plot/characters are complex enough to appeal to adults might be a good starting point.
Old 2012-10-15, 23:31   Link #8
Kirarakim

I am pretty sure Princess Tutu aired on Kids Station during the day so original demographic I think was children.

However the series is definitely for people of all ages. To me no magical girl anime compares.
Old 2012-10-16, 00:15   Link #9
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am pretty sure Princess Tutu aired on Kids Station during the day so original demographic I think was children.
Shadow Star Narutaru aired on that channel as well and that show is definitely NOT for children.....
Old 2012-10-16, 00:35   Link #10
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

I think you have to look toward several layer of criteria to determine this. What i often do is: look at the main character, the age and gender of this character tends to be the main demographic. If there is a group of main characters, the one who's most ordinary will play this role. Basically the characters who audiences can assimilate with more.

However, of course it can played reversed. In that case, the younger the characters look, the deeper the behind-meaning will be. And in that case it will be for older audiences
Old 2012-10-16, 08:04   Link #11
Kirarakim

Quote:
Shadow Star Narutaru aired on that channel as well and that show is definitely NOT for children.....
During the day? I highly doubt it!

The channel does show adult anime but that tends to air at night. Princess Tutu is a kid's show, you can even look at the TV spots/promos for the show from the DVD set and tell this.

Princess Tutu is one of my absolute favorite series, there is nothing wrong with it being a kid's show. It has plenty of depth, more so than many shows aimed at adults.
Old 2012-10-16, 08:32   Link #12
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Isn't 100%, but this works most of the time
-If it airs during the day or evening, its a kids show. Figure out whether its for boys or girls or just generic kids by content.
-If it airs at some ridiculously late hour, its for adult males (otaku).

There are some odd late night anime that aims to appeal to non-anime-otaku demographics (e.g. K-On!!), and some kids shows also try to appeal to the otaku crowd, and occasionally the late night anime will be aimed at adult females (e.g. a lot of NoitaminA slot stuff). Then there are Miyazaki/etc. But generally, this rule holds up well.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 13:21   Link #13
Akuma Kinomoto
木之本 悪魔

I think we need to make the distinction between intended demographic and whom the content appeals to the most. Just saying.
Old 2012-10-16, 13:29   Link #14
hyl
smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
I think we need to make the distinction between intended demographic and whom the content appeals to the most. Just saying.
The latter can be rather unpredictable. Like Tennis no Oujisama was most likely not originally intended for the female audience, yet the serie is overall more popular to them now.
Old 2012-10-16, 13:43   Link #15
Stealther

Princess Tutu was actually a loose adaption, but this a rare case of adaption being a lot better than the original (original work was a pretty stereotypical mahou shoujo). Personally I don't think it suits everyone since its storytelling isn't straightforward enough. I doubt children understand much behind the facades, although they surely can enjoy the facade. That said it's a masterpiece.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 13:59   Link #16
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealther View Post
Princess Tutu was actually a loose adaption, but this a rare case of adaption being a lot better than the original (original work was a pretty stereotypical mahou shoujo). Personally I don't think it suits everyone since its storytelling isn't straightforward enough. I doubt children understand much behind the facades, although they surely can enjoy the facade. That said it's a masterpiece.
Nope, the Princess Tutu anime is the original work. The manga was the adaption. And yes the manga is not very good at all, but the anime is a masterpiece.
Old 2012-10-16, 14:00   Link #17
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Is there such a thing as "this anime is for EVERYONE"? Miyazaki Hayao's works seem to fall into this. I think Tutu falls into this as well. There are some small things kids might appreciate but so many more other things adults/older teens would appreciate much more.
They often call this the "Family" demographic; family as opposed to "kids", because it's something you can watch as a family and both the adults and the children will get something out of it. If any anime can lay claim to this demographic, Princess Tutu is probably one of the closest, along with stuff from the World Masterpiece Theatre series and the like.

In the end, you've gotten a lot of different answers about ways to determine a demographic, but no single method on its own is complete. Among the factors to consider:
  • Staff involved
  • Time the show is airing (and what stations it's airing on)
  • Members of the production committee
  • How they're spending their advertising budget (where are ads placed, who are they targeting, etc.)
  • Sorts of merchandise being created to promote the show
  • The key points emphasized in trailers and previews
  • Magazines where any spin-off or tie-in manga are published
  • The aesthetic of the production, including character designs, the age/gender of the protagonist and other key characters, and identifiable key influences from other shows/sources
  • The camera angles and cinematography (including the way any "fanservice" is presented)
...and so on... Usually you don't necessarily need all these points, but they tend to support each other. But I don't think you can necessarily take any one point on its own. Just looking at character designs, or time slot, or whatever else on its own can be deceiving (because there are a lot of exceptions to any one rule).
Old 2012-10-16, 21:44   Link #18
NK_500
Disabled By Request

It is nice to know that Hetalia wasn't actually made for teenage girls but just look at its fandom today.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 21:46   Link #19
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
It is nice to know that Hetalia wasn't actually made for teenage girls but just look at its fandom today.

That's news to me. Who was it intended for?
Old 2012-10-16, 21:54   Link #20
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I guess men.

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote