AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-10-11, 08:24   Link #1
Skane
Anime Snark

Question About Graphic Cards

Just a quick query.

How relevant is the 550-Ti still? Assuming I am willing to play on Medium Settings.

Was reading some video card comparisons, and noticed my card wasn't even on the budget list any more (lowest was 560-Ti).

Cheers.
Old 2012-10-11, 13:49   Link #2
Tong
Now, come at me

Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Pretty decent if you want to run below 1080p...
Old 2012-10-11, 16:05   Link #3
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

It's a pretty good card, but it's sort of dated now. Chances are you can buy a GTX650 (the budget model of the new generation, called Kepler) for about the same price; it'll give you the same or better performance while drawing less power and making less noise.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 18:28   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

If you like Nvidia cards, I say get a new card when they go to the 700 series (assuming that is how they brand them). I'd say wait till those hit. I've found that a lot of people go by a "every other generation" rule when it comes to upgrading GPUs.
Old 2012-10-11, 18:33   Link #5
spikexp

The 7770 is better, or even the older 6850.
My 6850 is still going strong in all game in 1080p.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 19:50   Link #6
Skane
Anime Snark

Looks like it's time to upgrade then.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 2012-10-12, 11:14   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Just FYI, AMD plans to roll out the 8000 series around February. If you're not in a hurry...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 23:17   Link #8
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Personally, I don't think there's any point in upgrading, just to upgrade.

The real questions are: what cpu you do you have (so you can determine if upgrading your GPU is even going to do anything for you), and are you happy with your video game performance today?

That said, a 550 ti is, to put it nicely, a piece of junk. Or, at least, not very good, even in today's weird PC video game world where games are often built with consoles in mind and thus not really requiring the higher end tech to run well on a PC like the good 'ol days.

Which makes the first question, concerning your cpu, even more relevant. If your cpu and video card weren't noticeably bottlenecking each other, just upgrading your video card can have only negligible effects, especially in the case of a 550 ti.

As an aside, these days, I'd consider a GTX 560-$122 on newegg-(not the GTX 560 ti), the budget video card of choice. And, it's significantly better than a 550-ti plus.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 23:32   Link #9
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

How about HD 5770? Is it still relevant? Approximately how much longer should I wait to replace it?
Old 2012-10-14, 23:54   Link #10
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Personally, I don't think there's any point in upgrading, just to upgrade.

The real questions are: what cpu you do you have (so you can determine if upgrading your GPU is even going to do anything for you), and are you happy with your video game performance today?

That said, a 550 ti is, to put it nicely, a piece of junk. Or, at least, not very good, even in today's weird PC video game world where games are often built with consoles in mind and thus not really requiring the higher end tech to run well on a PC like the good 'ol days.

Which makes the first question, concerning your cpu, even more relevant. If your cpu and video card weren't noticeably bottlenecking each other, just upgrading your video card can have only negligible effects, especially in the case of a 550 ti.

As an aside, these days, I'd consider a GTX 560-$122 on newegg-(not the GTX 560 ti), the budget video card of choice. And, it's significantly better than a 550-ti plus.
Well, this is my current setup for CPU,

Performance wise, I have noticed slow-downs on newer games like X-COM:Enemy Unknown, so I figured I need to nip the problem in the bud soon.

Cheers.
Old 2012-10-20, 03:19   Link #11
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Well, this is my current setup for CPU,

Performance wise, I have noticed slow-downs on newer games like X-COM:Enemy Unknown, so I figured I need to nip the problem in the bud soon.

Cheers.
Sorry for such a late reply, but yea, you could definitely use a way better graphics card than a 550-ti with that CPU. :/
creb is offline   Reply With Quote