AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-15, 02:07   Link #181
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I ship Rin and Aoki from Kojika! Besides HH doesn't even look a day past seventeen.
They can keep it platonic until she becomes a teenager.
Wow. +5 for making me laugh, though.
Old 2013-07-15, 02:19   Link #182
TheEroKing
has left.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing

moe...
Old 2013-07-15, 08:06   Link #183
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think a discussion of this series has to start with Namikawa Daisuke, who's carrying the series so far with his performance. Namikawa has an intensity that's rare - I would say almost unequalled - among seiyuu of his generation. There's a seething, tortured energy to so much of what he does, and it provides a sense of danger always lurking just below the surface. His characters are almost never conventionally nice men (Waver might be called an exception) but they're always fascinating, and there's a kind of wry mirth in his delivery that suggests that he always knows more than the person he's speaking to. The best compliment I can offer is that I can't imagine anyone else playing Hampnie besides Namikawa-san.

The other element that stands out in Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi so far is the atmosphere. Simply put, the series has oodles of it - it's managed to completely draw me into the sad, bizarre yet strangely beautiful world it's created. Part of this is the eerie stillness of the landscapes, where there never seems to be a breath of wind and the sunlight always seems to burn as if in perpetual dusk, a world facing the sunset of its existence. Part of it is the subtle but completely fitting music, used sparingly to give the mood a nudge at just the right moments. Collectively it's remarkably successful at creating a setting that feels complete and distinct, even if it remains full of mysteries.

I'm not exactly sure where the story goes from here, because there really doesn't seem to be a way to "fix" everything (perhaps the "secret" of Ai's village could prove otherwise, though). Rather, Kaminai may be a sad reflection on a dying world, with a cast of misfits and lost souls trying to retain their dignity and find a little meaning in the twilight of existence. That doesn't seem as if it would be an uplifting experience to watch, but it has all the earmarks of an emotionally meaningful and fascinating one.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 08:46   Link #184
TheEroKing
has left.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
A freebie.
Old 2013-07-15, 09:51   Link #185
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Wow. +5 for making me laugh, though.
Look, man, if we can have anime with an otaku girl in love with her brother and a 20-year-old woman talking about her first time with a dog, there is absolutely NO excuse to shun me for shipping a loli and an immortal bishounen.

@TheEroKing: TAKING.

Can someone also make some 100x100 gifs of this show? I'd do it myself...but I have a pretty tight schedule. ^^;
Old 2013-07-15, 10:06   Link #186
novalysis

Quote:
Look, man, if we can have anime with an otaku girl in love with her brother and a 20-year-old woman talking about her first time with a dog, there is absolutely NO excuse to shun me for shipping a loli and an immortal bishounen.

@TheEroKing: TAKING.

Can someone also make some 100x100 gifs of this show? I'd do it myself...but I have a pretty tight schedule. ^^;
I think what creeps people out even more, is the possibility that this girl might be Humphery's daughter.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 10:26   Link #187
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think what creeps people out even more, is the possibility that this girl might be Humphery's daughter.
You don't know how much I'm praying this won't happen.

But......he SAID he isn't. And he said she could be the daughter of a gravekeeper and human. I don't think he's lying.
Old 2013-07-15, 11:21   Link #188
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Episode was much better than the first. Not saying the first is bad though.

Loved the dialogue between Hambert & AI at the end of the episode. This series is already one of my favorites from this season.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 12:39   Link #189
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Eh, I'm personally not the kind of woman who's into those sorts of thing... But whatever floats your boat, I guess. XD
Old 2013-07-15, 12:40   Link #190
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

I'm curious, why are people acting like all of the villagers were already dead? Is it just because Mister Immortal says all he did was make them stop moving? Why treat that as the truth without any evidence?* Or is it something confirmed in the books? Because if so, NOT COOL mentioning it in the ANIME thread outside of properly labeled spoiler tags.

* I know Ai complained about her foster mother's smell, but that was said to be perfume, and that she normally smells better. I suppose gravekeepers could be set up to enjoy the smell of decay, but nothing like that has been mentioned yet.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 14:19   Link #191
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Eh, I'm personally not the kind of woman who's into those sorts of thing...
Oh, I'm not either...just saying that I think incest and bestiality is more disturbing than the possible relationship in this show.
Old 2013-07-15, 16:54   Link #192
Dr. Casey

Everyone deserves some Hampnie Hambert lovin', poor Ai-chan has enough problems without being told she can't date such a sexy bastard.

Quote:
I ship Rin and Aoki from Kojika! Besides HH doesn't even look a day past seventeen.
They can keep it platonic until she becomes a teenager.
She said that she's 12 years old in their conversation before going to sleep at the end of the episode, so... I officially declare that her 13th birthday is the very next day. They can now officially become a couple in episode 3 after waking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu
I don't think what he's doing can be called 'killing' anymore, since those people, including Julie's wife, were already dead long before he showed up. As he himself said in this episode, all he did was to immobilize them while waiting for Gravekeepers to finish the rest. He's actually doing those people a favor in the end.

As to why he keeps holding onto those ideals regardless of that messed up world, he already explained it at the end if episode 2. People won't stay fresh forever after dying, the decomposing process kicks in slowly and gradually, both in and outside without people noticing it, leaving behind nothing but a rotten corpse clinging to life. That's why he corrected Ai's begging while pointing the gun at her, rather than not wanting to die, she should want to live.
Hm, I see. While that's an improvement over what I originally thought, I'll need to understand more about the situation before I condone his actions. An unpleasant existence though being an undead might be, I don't see how Julie's dead wife living with her husband and daughter is any of his business. Alcoholism can lead to a sad and depressing life too, but if I decided to pull a Carrie Nation and break into someone's home to smash all their bottles of beer, I wouldn't be in the right.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 17:25   Link #193
Tenzen12
Banned

And what if it was your best friend who drinking himself to death? And what if his child suffered by that as well?

Death gradualy becomming mere leechers, parasites clinging to their life more than anything and anyone (if HH said truth). Of course their relationship will get very deformed in one point.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 17:33   Link #194
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
And what if his child suffered by that as well?
I forget, did Hampnie say the child was being harmed or inconvenienced somehow? And the decomposition process is said to be a very gradual one; if Julie's wife was still perfectly happy and contented, as he said, they might have been years away from reaching the point where things got ugly. I'll reserve judgment for now since the details of the situation are still mostly shrouded, but Julie said the three of them were happy together, and they likely would have remained so for quite some time if the 'second death' process is a very slow and gradual one. I don't remember there being any extenuating circumstances mentioned that would remove this situation from the 'none of Hampnie's business' category. To me, it kind of sounds like if someone went around shooting people in the early stages of Alzheimer's because everything beyond that point would basically just be clinging to a half-life, even though the patient would still have a number of years ahead of them where they would be functional, independent, and happy.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 18:12   Link #195
Tenzen12
Banned

Child mother woulld be undead with decaying body and mainly character. Of course that daughter would be "inconvenienced" if she had to watch that happening.

And yes, aside of fact that Julie is HH friend, it realy isn't his bussiness.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 18:45   Link #196
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I forget, did Hampnie say the child was being harmed or inconvenienced somehow? And the decomposition process is said to be a very gradual one; if Julie's wife was still perfectly happy and contented, as he said, they might have been years away from reaching the point where things got ugly. I'll reserve judgment for now since the details of the situation are still mostly shrouded, but Julie said the three of them were happy together, and they likely would have remained so for quite some time if the 'second death' process is a very slow and gradual one. I don't remember there being any extenuating circumstances mentioned that would remove this situation from the 'none of Hampnie's business' category. To me, it kind of sounds like if someone went around shooting people in the early stages of Alzheimer's because everything beyond that point would basically just be clinging to a half-life, even though the patient would still have a number of years ahead of them where they would be functional, independent, and happy.
The signs are far more obvious than that. People just choose to ignore them.

Ai commented on Anna stinking, and Anna covered it up claiming it was perfume. That was clearly the smell of her body rotting, but no one in the village was doing anything about it because they wanted to stay "alive" and the only person who could keep them dead is the gravekeeper.
The farmer who had half his head blown off by Hampnie had the exact same disturbing dead look in his eyes before and after he was shot by Hampnie.

Then there's also the mystery surrounding Alfa. How did a gravekeeper die in a world where people don't die even when they are killed?
Considering how negative of a stigma Scar gets as a gravekeeper, how do we know the village didn't incapacitate Alfa the same way Humpnie did to them, then deceive Ai into using her gravekeeper powers to get rid of Alfa for good?
Then they could just appoint Ai as the new gravekeeper keep her under a tight leash since she is a child who wouldn't know any better about what's happening. Hell, Ai didn't even know the entire village was dead until after Humpnie showed her the hard way.

That in turn would make all the "dead" people in the village murderers and fits perfectly with Humpnie's description of how dead people grow more and more selfish and desperate in trying to stay alive.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-07-15 at 19:05.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 19:43   Link #197
Traece
:cool:

The issue with the wife isn't one of her being undead. The issue is that she would gradually become more and more incapable of maintaining a normal state of mind to the point where she could easily endanger the lives of Yuri and her own daughter. That's the issue. If people just became rotted and decayed or some such thing whilst undead it wouldn't be nearly as large of an issue compared to them being literal timebombs of insanity.

At any rate, it was pretty hilarious that they tossed the "is she a gravekeeper?" card into the dirt in the very start of the episode and then stepped on it a little bit. We all knew it, but evidently Humpbert was wrong the whole time. You can't win every mystery, I suppose. Though his hybrid theory does seem to make perfect sense. At this point there are two conclusions to draw on: Ai is the result of her mother being a test subject, or her father is an albino (maybe even Humpbert, and he doesn't even know it). Personally, I think it's possible that the mother was somehow made to give birth using Humpbert's DNA or some such thing by the villagers.

Although the biggest question to ask is: Why create a hybrid gravekeeper at all? That, I suspect, wont become apparent for some time.

Someone mentioned Humpnie's performance, and how great it is. I'm inclined to agree. He does do quite a fantastic job here, and additionally they've created such a great atmosphere. There's this contrast between Humpnie and Ai in how they act and how they sound that makes them a great duo within this. It gives this anime a lot of charm.
Old 2013-07-15, 21:08   Link #198
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Everyone deserves some Hampnie Hambert lovin', poor Ai-chan has enough problems without being told she can't date such a sexy bastard.
lmfao.
Reading that made my day, Dr.

Quote:
She said that she's 12 years old in their conversation before going to sleep at the end of the episode, so... I officially declare that her 13th birthday is the very next day. They can now officially become a couple in episode 3 after waking up.
And again.

Quote:
An unpleasant existence though being an undead might be, I don't see how Julie's dead wife living with her husband and daughter is any of his business.
As much as I like his character, I do agree. He should have just left them alone...but like you said, we don't know the whole story...

Quote:
If people just became rotted and decayed or some such thing whilst undead it wouldn't be nearly as large of an issue compared to them being literal timebombs of insanity.
True...
OH.

I long forgot mention...has anyone here watched the TV series, Torchwood? This anime's plot reminds me of the mini season they did called "Miracle Day".

..........yes, turned out to be a miracle nobody wanted..... Nobody could no longer die....and it was quite horrific, actually. The consequences were so awful...and humanity just got more and more corrupted! It was a real eye-opener and made you seriously think about how terrible the world would be if people could not die.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-07-15 at 21:20.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 21:23   Link #199
backbone
Banned

Humans can no longer be born yet they can still die using "certain" way.

Going by this logic, at some point of time humanity will eventually go extinct.

Right?
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 21:30   Link #200
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Humans can no longer be born yet they can still die using "certain" way.

Going by this logic, at some point of time humanity will eventually go extinct.

Right?
That seems to be the general idea, yes.

They can't live forever, because eventually in their undeath they become mindless zombies.

They can't breed because... Well... I guess they just can't?

So those that live are forced to live in fear of those who have died, while those who have died experience an erosion of their mind and body until they become zombies that would murder those around them. Humanity is, indeed, pretty screwed.

Tags
fantasy, mystery