AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Accel World

Notices

Old 2013-08-23, 20:01   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Accel World - Light Novel Licensed by Yen Press

As announced at Japan Expo and confirmed by ANN, Yen Press has licensed the Accel World Light Novel series.

This thread can be used to discuss anything related to the licensed release, but for spoilers from the Japanese release please use the Light Novel Discussion thread.
Old 2013-08-24, 22:43   Link #2
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Could you also update the AW thread that it's licensed now? Just to make it clear which one has been picked up...
Old 2013-08-27, 02:28   Link #3
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Well, this is good news. If they release 3 volumes a year, then we can read volume 5 and 6 in 2015. If 4 volumes, then we can read volume 5-8. I checked their release dates for Spice and Wolf and Haruhi as reference. Recently, they seem to be consistent with 3 volumes a year. Either way, I can finally read volumes 5 and 6 in two years time. I could wait that long. After all, patience is a virtue.
Old 2013-08-27, 07:59   Link #4
R.LocK
My turn

Probably they'll follow two books per year schedule.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 08:24   Link #5
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Actually according to their twitter, they will be releasing 4 volumes a year. In other words, a 3 month interval release like Spice and Wolf. I better start saving money now.
Old 2013-08-27, 10:03   Link #6
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Actually according to their twitter, they will be releasing 4 volumes a year. In other words, a 3 month interval release like Spice and Wolf. I better start saving money now.
Holy crap, seriously? That's awesome, if true (not necessarily saying you're lying, but delays can happen).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 10:45   Link #7
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Holy crap, seriously? That's awesome, if true (not necessarily saying you're lying, but delays can happen).
Here's the link to their twitter post.

I will quote it as well.

Quote:
Expect to see the light novels released in three month intervals, comparable to our current S&W schedule.
But as you said, delays can happen. Let's just hope we could read Volume 5 and 6 by 2015.
Old 2013-08-27, 10:56   Link #8
GDB

Pretty excited for that. Is that for both, since it doesn't seem to specify just AW?
Old 2013-08-27, 11:00   Link #9
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty excited for that. Is that for both, since it doesn't seem to specify just AW?
It seems to be both as well as the Puella Magi Madoka Magica. They did say "light novels".

In any case, let's hope they will be on schedule.
Old 2013-08-27, 11:04   Link #10
GDB

Well, Madoka's a manga, not a novel, so I doubt that's included. And even if it is, it's only 2 volumes anyway.
Old 2013-09-04, 00:47   Link #11
tsunade666

wow, seriously? I'll love to buy this book.

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 22:30   Link #12
gensouR-1

Um, i have a question.
was it true that only SAO got fully licensed and AW only got Vols 1-4 licensed

[ ÖÖやれやれ
あのね、テイカー君。きみのその饒舌さが、巡り巡ってこんなサドンデスデュエルなんて状況にきみを追い込ん だんじゃないかと、わたしには思えてならないよ] (ブラック・バイス)

【勲】「AIと人類が雌雄を決する戦いだな」 【甲】「いえ。甲中尉がひたすら腹パンをする。長官はただ眺めているだけですよÖÖ」
gensouR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 00:42   Link #13
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensouR-1 View Post
Um, i have a question.
was it true that only SAO got fully licensed and AW only got Vols 1-4 licensed
Where did you hear that? To the best of our knowledge, Yen Press licensed both series as a whole, not individual volumes of the series.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 00:57   Link #14
gensouR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Where did you hear that? To the best of our knowledge, Yen Press licensed both series as a whole, not individual volumes of the series.
From 4chan.Someone there said that in their press release Yen Press Licensed All of Sword Art Online's Volumes while Accel World Only got the first 4 volumes licensed,to be honest i'm not really sure If AW only got Vol's 1-4 Licensed so i was hoping someone here would clarify it for me,Sorry if i wasted your time

[ ÖÖやれやれ
あのね、テイカー君。きみのその饒舌さが、巡り巡ってこんなサドンデスデュエルなんて状況にきみを追い込ん だんじゃないかと、わたしには思えてならないよ] (ブラック・バイス)

【勲】「AIと人類が雌雄を決する戦いだな」 【甲】「いえ。甲中尉がひたすら腹パンをする。長官はただ眺めているだけですよÖÖ」

Last edited by gensouR-1; 2014-04-01 at 04:51.
gensouR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 15:06   Link #15
c933103
FTNR

No official words on them. (Btw, I don't know how english publishers get LN licenses, but in the case of Traditional/Simplified Chinese, usually publisher have LN licensed per volumes while they themselves would use term like the series had been licensed on more widely read news report.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 22:45   Link #16
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensouR-1 View Post
From 4chan.Someone there said that in their press release Yen Press Licensed All of Sword Art Online's Volumes while Accel World Only got the first 4 volumes licensed,to be honest i'm not really sure If AW only got Vol's 1-4 Licensed so i was hoping someone here would clarify it for me,Sorry if i wasted your time
Generally speaking, 4 chan isn't the greatest source for things like this. If you hear something there, but can't find obvious confirmation elsewhere, then it's best to assume that someone's wrong or mistaken. And don't worry about whether or not you wasted our time. If you're uncertain, it's always better to ask for clarification than to remain ignorant or wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
No official words on them. (Btw, I don't know how english publishers get LN licenses, but in the case of Traditional/Simplified Chinese, usually publisher have LN licensed per volumes while they themselves would use term like the series had been licensed on more widely read news report.
English publishers, to the best of my knowledge, license the series as a whole, all existing and future volumes, for a set length of time. It makes sense as it protects them from a variety of issues.

I've never seen one claim they'd only licensed a certain number of volumes as a reason for not continuing the release of a series, despite there being times where that would be a very convenient excuse. Likewise I've never seen one claim they didn't have the license to older volumes as a reason for why they don't do another print run. And the times a company has lost a series involved them losing the whole series, even if they only had a few volumes left, and those volumes were basically already ready to go.
Old 2014-04-03, 00:39   Link #17
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Generally speaking, 4 chan isn't the greatest source for things like this. If you hear something there, but can't find obvious confirmation elsewhere, then it's best to assume that someone's wrong or mistaken. And don't worry about whether or not you wasted our time. If you're uncertain, it's always better to ask for clarification than to remain ignorant or wrong.

English publishers, to the best of my knowledge, license the series as a whole, all existing and future volumes, for a set length of time. It makes sense as it protects them from a variety of issues.

I've never seen one claim they'd only licensed a certain number of volumes as a reason for not continuing the release of a series, despite there being times where that would be a very convenient excuse. Likewise I've never seen one claim they didn't have the license to older volumes as a reason for why they don't do another print run. And the times a company has lost a series involved them losing the whole series, even if they only had a few volumes left, and those volumes were basically already ready to go.
Believe it or not, this is a reply letter from Tokyopop to SirWence on Gosick licensing:
Quote:
Thanks for your question!

I donít believe we currently have plans to continue the series, given both the cost of doing novels and the poor sales performance of the first two volumes. Itís a shame, since now with the anime series coming out, it seems like sales might pick up, but thatís the kind of problem you run into in publishing sometimes. Your interest has been noted, though, and Iíll be keeping an eye on other requests to see if at least doing a reprint of the existing material would make sense, and then maybe based on the performance of the reprint, we could consider moving forward, but to be honest, thatís fairly unlikely at this stage of the game.

However, we only tend to license a couple volumes at a time, so there isnít really anything stopping another company from continuing the series if they choose to do so. The likelihood of that is also fairly slim, but you never know, I suppose!

Anyway, thanks for your interest and support, and Iím sorry that I donít have better news for you!

Sincerely,

~Lillian
Old 2014-04-03, 02:04   Link #18
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Believe it or not, this is a reply letter from Tokyopop to SirWence on Gosick licensing:
An interesting point of data, but given it's Tokyopop, I take it with a large grain of salt. That was the company that removed the afterword from Slayers novel 6, and attempted to market it as the conclusion of the series. Then attempted to pretend the omission of the afterword was an accident.
Old 2014-04-03, 06:01   Link #19
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

^ Agreed, but I don't see a point in making a lie about this when the email could have been ignored. I have sent such questions to Viz and YenPress before and they have been ignored. T_T

But on equal terms, "To the best of your knowledge" just doesn't prove anything, unless you have some kind of source? Besides, even if many titles are licensed as an entire series, it doesn't prove that per-volume licensing model does not exist, which I feel will make more sense for less prominent series if it could be cheaper, due to the risks involved.

I was just throwing this out so that people don't take your post without any grain of salt, even if it seems like a sensible presumption.
Old 2014-04-03, 09:30   Link #20
c933103
FTNR

*Example of how chinese publishers obtain LN licenses:
https://www.kadokawa.com.tw/p9-news2...eriesa=&id=907
or
https://www.kadokawa.com.tw/p9-news2...eriesa=&id=845
while it doesn't seem like any English LN publisher publish info like these, but it doesn't mean these processes does not exist...
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote