AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2013-04-18, 19:58   Link #121
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
You have that much faith in humanity? >_>
I believe in the humanity that believes in me to believe in them that they can believe that they can walk while taking pictures with a cellular camera

And thus humanity triumphed over the Zeds
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 20:09   Link #122
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
You have that much faith in humanity? >_>
They have enough practice to walk and snap/text. It's when you ask them to drive or think that things get hairy.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 21:33   Link #123
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
People aren't going to start attacking others in an attempt to rip them apart and eat them when they have SARS. They will if they're zombies. First time it happens, people would retaliate. You're comparing oranges to rotten apples and acting like they'd be the same.
Not sure if the book came out pre or post SARS but China's response in the book pretty much mirror the pre-SARS response. Denial of any big problem until it spread outwards to other countries. Also, I think there's an underlying message in the books that the US and other major governments knew about the Z virus but choose to cover it up until it became a full blown crisis. Which is why it became so big and across multiple countries.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 00:05   Link #124
Child_of_Sierra

There was too much confusion in the book (initially) whether the "disease" can be cured or not. So I find it believable that people would try to "herd" or protect mobs of zombies from getting killed.

Likely, people end up shooting each other first because they don't want their "turned" loved ones killed or because they are too paranoid to confirm who they shoot at.
Old 2013-04-19, 08:08   Link #125
GDB

I'd find the whole "confused about zombies" thing more believeable if, you know, zombies weren't a huge thing. If no movies or books had ever been made on them, then sure, be confused. But everyone pretty much knows what happens in a zombie flick. They aren't going to just run around like headless chickens.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 09:26   Link #126
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'd find the whole "confused about zombies" thing more believeable if, you know, zombies weren't a huge thing. If no movies or books had ever been made on them, then sure, be confused. But everyone pretty much knows what happens in a zombie flick. They aren't going to just run around like headless chickens.
I can't remember. Did World War Z happen in that alternate reality where zombies didn't exist or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Not sure if the book came out pre or post SARS but China's response in the book pretty much mirror the pre-SARS response. Denial of any big problem until it spread outwards to other countries. Also, I think there's an underlying message in the books that the US and other major governments knew about the Z virus but choose to cover it up until it became a full blown crisis. Which is why it became so big and across multiple countries.
Yes, but the way Brooks presented the coverup was working was...well quite frankly impossible.

How exactly does the federal government keep local law enforcement from responding to that 9/11 call about that crazy "drunk" that turned out to be a zombie? The Black ops guys would have to be embedded within every 9/11 call center in the country, and they'd need to be able to make a judgement call as to whether this was an actual zombie or just a drunk. They'd also need enough special forces guys distributed across the country to make timely responses.
Old 2013-04-19, 14:39   Link #127
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Not to mention with SARS where the Chinese government tried to keep it suppressed it didn't take WHO long to get to the bottom of it.

But then artistic licenses allows them to do whatever anyways.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 07:24   Link #128
PzIVf3

No blood and gore this move failed to scare me but the story is good.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 05:04   Link #129
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The two cases I can think of that a Zombie Apocalypse would actually screw the whole human race up is when its:

1. Airborn, and simultenous ground zeroes. Unless vaccination is found quickly, we're done for.
2. Long dormancy. If the virus actually spreads fast in dormant state, inconspicuous to its final results, we're probably doomed as when it goes active, we'll have zombie riot spawns all over the globe.

Left 4 Dead is like the worst possible scenario thinkable. Not only the virus are airborn, dormant, but the zombies are INSANE STRONG. I mean even the weakest average zombies can climb a freakin building, and you got SUPER-ZOMBIES that's intelligent, possibly conscious, and has super-human powers. That world is convincingly f***ed. Lol.
Old 2013-06-21, 05:18   Link #130
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The two cases I can think of that a Zombie Apocalypse would actually screw the whole human race up is when its:
Rabied rat... biting everyone... then human to human...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 06:20   Link #131
james0246

Saw it this morning (midnight showing). It was okay. Some nice set pieces, but kind of bland.

Don't see this in 3D. The conversion is terrible. Like Last Airbender terrible.

Tired now. Going to bed. Will discuss more later.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 11:57   Link #132
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

I would say that the movie doesn't offer anything really fresh (hur hur hur). Fast zombies have been all the rage since 28 Days Later and, frankly, I wish we could return to the slow zombies of yesteryear.

But the movie ended well though. So, all in all, not bad for late-night entertainment.

Now, I watched the film on Wednesday night (June 19). As some of you may have heard, Singapore is currently blanketed in a thick haze from forest fires in Indonesia. And on Wednesday night, the Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) hit 321, breaking the previous high of 226 set in 1997.

A PSI reading above 300 is officially "hazardous" to health.

I stepped out of a reel war that night, and into a world that looked (and most certainly smelled) like a war zone.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2013-06-21 at 12:10. Reason: 28 Days Later, not the alcoholic Sandra Bullock flick 28 Days.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 18:36   Link #133
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I wish we could return to the slow zombies of yesteryear.
Hmm... it's the trend besides if that's the case then:

Soldier 1: Look a zombie is slowly walking towards us....
Soldier 2: It's still 10 meters away....
Soldier 1: I see... Anyway.. hows your last assignment in Afghanistan....
Soldier 2: Oh yeah!.. I forgot... That one was a blast!!!

I never yet to see the movie.. but I the trailer took my breath away...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 18:57   Link #134
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Singapore is currently blanketed in a thick haze from forest fires in Indonesia.
Yep, it's strange. It's raining like hell almost everyday here in Indonesia. Yet, we still got major forest fires in Sumatra .
Old 2013-06-22, 11:35   Link #135
james0246

In terms of sheer action-adventure, World War Z is probably the best film of the summer so far (note, only in terms of action). It doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth like Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel, and it is not as conceited or pandering as Star Trek nor simply bad as After Earth. Fast and Furious 6 is the only other action film that really stands beside World War Z, but even then WWZ is far better in terms of tension. (There's also Epic, which had some amazing set pieces, but I'll leave that in it's own category for now.)

There is much to like about this film. As mentioned, the tension is quite nicely played, and the pacing only adds to an already scary story. Never before have I seen such a scary pandemic on screen, and the multiple vistas of rampant destruction and floods of monsters can be quite unsettling, especially early on (In many respects, I imagine this is what Day of the Dead was supposed to look like). While the special effects are a little cheesy at times, especially when we see the zeeks as a flood of bodies, the overall make-up effects and sound design is simply superb, with unholy noises echoing in quite unsettling ways and the chittering and chattering of teeth sending chills up and down my spine. While I can't say WWZ has really done anything new, the film still does everything right to the nth degree. Seeing a true world conflict is quite startling and endlessly fun.

There are some superb action sequences. The brief foray into Newark; the over-the-top quality to the destruction of Israel; the tense but still fun airplane ride; and of course the very nicely done journey through the W.H.O. research center at the end. All are impeccably executed, endlessly fun, and wonderfully tense.

Sadly, too much plot contrivance and silliness abounds for this to be a truly great action film. While I liked the idea of Brad Pitt's Gerry as a family man first and foremost - and being a family man suited the character quite well - the use of his family was needlessly silly at times especially considering the power that Mireille Enos can command as an actor at times. Still the first half hour with the family is extremely good, I just wish they could have been developed a little more/better. There were some structural issues as well (the idea that Brad Pitt wouldn't know about Israel building walls days ahead of time, or any number of other large scale political maneuverings seems a little unrealistic), but ultimately the film moved at a solid pace along a fairly linear thought process. Sadly, the biggest problem is the lack of a true ending. If this is a set-up for a sequel (and this is supposed to be a trilogy), then the film should have treated it as such, but using a silly monologue at the end with footage of humanity fighting back was not a real ending. It felt very slapdash and too forceful.

In terms of adaptation, I never really liked the book so I didn't care what was changed or not, but there are still quite a few references and ideas found from the book that are instilled in the movie. Of course there are some drastic differences, but the film still felt complete in and of itself, so I didn't really mind the differences. 78/100 (I knocked off a full 5 points for being PG-13; hopefully an unedited version exists).
Old 2013-06-22, 13:48   Link #136
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Left 4 Dead is like the worst possible scenario thinkable. Not only the virus are airborn, dormant, but the zombies are INSANE STRONG. I mean even the weakest average zombies can climb a freakin building, and you got SUPER-ZOMBIES that's intelligent, possibly conscious, and has super-human powers. That world is convincingly f***ed. Lol.
True, the only edge survivors have is the fact that commons are so frail, you can off one with a couple bullets. Heck, Ive killed quite a few shooting them on the legs.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 16:52   Link #137
Hooves
~In Wonderland~
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
So yeah, I could have watched this with my friend today. But decided just to get back home, kind of skeptical about how I feel towards this. Well mostly because I don't have money to pay for popcorn while I watch it so no.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 10:58   Link #138
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Super strong zombies are actually the most trivial aspect of the outbreak in L4D. The real problem was all the Typhoid Mary's spreading the plague everywhere they went. The Majority of people probably never got zombified by being bitten. They probably got it from a carrier who seemed perfectly normal.
Old 2013-06-23, 11:22   Link #139
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

One thing that gives me pause is the movie's medical epiphany...
Spoiler:

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-06-23 at 11:39.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 12:40   Link #140
james0246

^
Spoiler for ending spoilers...: