AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-06-07, 14:06   Link #61
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for reason:
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 14:59   Link #62
ImperialKnight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Thank guys.

Some of my friends actually said they will prefer if the movie ends 5 minutes earlier, which i kinda agree with. What's about you guys?
Nah I disagree with that.

I don't think the general audience would've gone for that and this movie is a stand-a-lone one, not something you'd make a sequel out of.

What people seem to forget is that the Japanese have very very different tastes and ideas than western audiences do. Honestly I preferred this ending because

Spoiler:


Do we still need spoilers? I mean the movie is out.

For me the movie was really good and it was funny how they worked out his deaths but it makes sense though. I mean killing the guy 1-2 times is brutal but then after that you get de-sensitized so the movie starts glossing over the majority of them (not like we need to see the detail of each one). The pacing was good too because something where you keep repeating the same scenes you can easily lose focus.

I wish though they showed more of the beach battle but I guess you take what you get.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 17:30   Link #63
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
Nah I disagree with that.

I don't think the general audience would've gone for that and this movie is a stand-a-lone one, not something you'd make a sequel out of.

What people seem to forget is that the Japanese have very very different tastes and ideas than western audiences do. Honestly I preferred this ending because

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Ending:
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 18:49   Link #64
LightDragonman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
So what are the chances of there being an anime adaptation of All You Need Is Kill now?
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 20:16   Link #65
ImperialKnight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler for Ending:
That's not what I meant.

What I meant was the way some people prance about a certain type of ending and that somehow it makes them feel superior.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 21:05   Link #66
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
Movie was much better than expected. Though I'm kind of "eh..." on the end battle when there was a bunch of minions coming down on Rose and Cage but never broke through.

The actual ending was fine IMO, because after all that work, it would have been rather fucked up to just end the movie after the final fight.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 21:24   Link #67
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
just watched it tonight. bought a $16 ticket for RGX, since i didn't know what that meant. haha. turns out its like iMAX for Regal. what a good movie to watch in such a format. i was a fan of it. they kept most of the original shell of the story, but transformed what they needed to fit their new premise. the ending, while original, was good for a hollywood movie. i don't think the general audience would have liked the novel ending.

of course they had to cut out development and events, but there were a few references they threw in that i liked. the part i miss the most was the back story of Rita which they pretty much cut out completely and how the process is completely emotionally draining (save for one iteration). i also wasn't a fan of how it never seemed like Rita and Cage got better. yes, they showed him in training, but the part where they were planning the battle seemed to me like they were trying to memorize everything. in the novel, they became super adept soldiers, and their movements out of suit reflected that.

anywho, great movie. definitely one to watch.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-08, 13:55   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for reason:
Which is a terrible reason to send him. They have embedded people and stuff. All Cage's work so far had been way at the back, where he should have stayed and managed the story. That's his job, that's what he's good at. Sending him to get shot at (or whatever Mimics do) makes as much sense as sending an accountant to the front because you want to track expenses better.

It's also terribly hypocritical of the general to do it when he sent his secretary's son out of danger. Cage may be cowardly and douchey, but he did necessary work for the war effort, and did it well. And that's his reward?

(Not even that bad a guy, really. When he first started looping, he tried saving people instead of just himself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i also wasn't a fan of how it never seemed like Rita and Cage got better. yes, they showed him in training, but the part where they were planning the battle seemed to me like they were trying to memorize everything. in the novel, they became super adept soldiers, and their movements out of suit reflected that.
Agreed. The point was to use the loop to become incrementally better. Here he was suck-suck-suck-...-suck-super(-ish) soldier.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-08, 17:08   Link #69
ImperialKnight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Which is a terrible reason to send him. They have embedded people and stuff. All Cage's work so far had been way at the back, where he should have stayed and managed the story. That's his job, that's what he's good at. Sending him to get shot at (or whatever Mimics do) makes as much sense as sending an accountant to the front because you want to track expenses better.

It's also terribly hypocritical of the general to do it when he sent his secretary's son out of danger. Cage may be cowardly and douchey, but he did necessary work for the war effort, and did it well. And that's his reward?
He's a general. He can do whatever he wants no matter how hypocritical it is.

The guy figured it'd be smart to send over 10,000 men onto a beach with just satellite recon....

Quote:
Agreed. The point was to use the loop to become incrementally better. Here he was suck-suck-suck-...-suck-super(-ish) soldier.
No he was pretty good and dominating on the battlefield. I mean he was able to go from the Beach all the way to the dam by himself. The issue was trying to ensure that both he and Rita could get there together.

it's like playing a video game. You want to reach the boss perfectly but something always happens that causes you to suffer that set-back no matter what you do.

This brings to the next problem. No matter how good they were they're running on limited ammo/power so by the time they even reach the farmhouse the suits were next to useless for them.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-08, 18:22   Link #70
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
yes, he did become pretty good, but most of it came through memorization and running through all the possible scenarios. in the book, he legitimately became a super soldier, just like Rita did. the two of them could tear through the enemy lines, not because they knew what was going to happen when, but because they could fight. the monologues that they had to omit also exemplified this. like when he was fighting his squad mates in the movie, he closed his eyes because he knew what he was going to do. in the book, he actively dodged because his opponent's moves were so unrefined and slow. he even counted up the number of times he could have ended the fight.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-08, 19:58   Link #71
ImperialKnight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
yes, he did become pretty good, but most of it came through memorization and running through all the possible scenarios.
So that 10-15 minute portion of the movie where Rita trains Cage continuously meant nothing to you?

Quote:
in the book, he legitimately became a super soldier, just like Rita did. the two of them could tear through the enemy lines, not because they knew what was going to happen when, but because they could fight. the monologues that they had to omit also exemplified this. like when he was fighting his squad mates in the movie, he closed his eyes because he knew what he was going to do. in the book, he actively dodged because his opponent's moves were so unrefined and slow. he even counted up the number of times he could have ended the fight.
Even a super soldier can falter. Ever read Halo or Warhammer 40K? You have hardcore veteran super soldiers who could tear entire companies apart but sooner or later by blind luck or numbers they will fall. Besides it wasn't Cage that was dying it was Rita.

I know what you're saying though. In Asian cultures it's not rare of to have "one man" that can annihilate an entire army by himself. Western audiences probably not so much.

And besides, since we're talking about the novels wasn't it her strategy to loop once or twice to learn the layout of the battle and enemy position?
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-08, 20:54   Link #72
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 25
Didn't read any material before seeing the movie. It was pretty enjoyable though. Anyone who has read the source material(s) want to compare them (particularly the endings)?
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-09, 12:13   Link #73
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
So that 10-15 minute portion of the movie where Rita trains Cage continuously meant nothing to you?



Even a super soldier can falter. Ever read Halo or Warhammer 40K? You have hardcore veteran super soldiers who could tear entire companies apart but sooner or later by blind luck or numbers they will fall. Besides it wasn't Cage that was dying it was Rita.

I know what you're saying though. In Asian cultures it's not rare of to have "one man" that can annihilate an entire army by himself. Western audiences probably not so much.

And besides, since we're talking about the novels wasn't it her strategy to loop once or twice to learn the layout of the battle and enemy position?
i'm not saying they're infallible, but they were described in the book as tearing through enemy lines like a hurricane of axes. i took even more issue with Rita dying so much, because if she had looped 100+ times, her combat skills should be through the roof (and they were in the book). Keiji described himself as unable to comprehend her movements until fighting with her many times.

i believe Rita took 2 looks to solve a battle. one to see what would happen, where stuff was, etc. the second was when she eliminated the server.

I'll try to do a comparison between the book and the movie later. there were some issues i had with changes they had made, but i'm still incredibly happy with the movie.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-09, 12:28   Link #74
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
So that 10-15 minute portion of the movie where Rita trains Cage continuously meant nothing to you?
But that's the thing. He didn't look like he was getting much better until he had visions. Proficient, yeah, maybe, but only as an average soldier.

Quote:
And besides, since we're talking about the novels wasn't it her strategy to loop once or twice to learn the layout of the battle and enemy position?
And that's another thing. In the manga (haven't read the novel), they couldn't rely on looping for every little thing. Because even a small change (let alone the fact that the aliens are also aware of looping) means that people will act a bit differently and it'll snowball from there. That shmuck wouldn't always get killed by the same crashing plane. They had to rely on their super-soldierness to adapt to the small changes.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-09, 14:00   Link #75
ImperialKnight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But that's the thing. He didn't look like he was getting much better until he had visions. Proficient, yeah, maybe, but only as an average soldier.
No near the end of the training he did get better, especially when Rita was watching him from afar and then she brings up about training him he says, "you already have."

And besides, the stunts he were pulling out at the beach aren't something you memorized anyways. Sure he knows their position but you still need the skills to pull them off.

Quote:
And that's another thing. In the manga (haven't read the novel), they couldn't rely on looping for every little thing. Because even a small change (let alone the fact that the aliens are also aware of looping) means that people will act a bit differently and it'll snowball from there. That shmuck wouldn't always get killed by the same crashing plane. They had to rely on their super-soldierness to adapt to the small changes.
Yeah this movie it seems everything is locked though I wonder if it's just for pacing reasons.

That's the thing with movies you have a limited timeframe.

Quote:
Didn't read any material before seeing the movie. It was pretty enjoyable though. Anyone who has read the source material(s) want to compare them (particularly the endings)?
Novel
Spoiler:
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-09, 20:56   Link #76
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for Answer:


As for Brigham's stubbornness, I've got friends who've served who tell me that yes, there are officers just like him.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 07:38   Link #77
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Saw this movie just now (paid P100 more for the non-IMAX 3D just so I can see it earlier), and it was actually worth it. It was

SAVE SCUM: THE MOVIE

People in the theater were actually busting their guts when the entire loop became a montage of all the different ways Cage died (the entire theater burst into laughter when he got run over by that truck trying to get out of his pushups ), and I heard at least one person say "Save Reload".

Movie has a very good pace, didn't feel like they wasted time on anything, and it was very enjoyable all throughout. I didn't mind the ending, since I had a theory on what just happened, and it was an ending I could live with instead of being a copout.
__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 11:15   Link #78
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Saw this movie just now (paid P100 more for the non-IMAX 3D just so I can see it earlier), and it was actually worth it. It was

SAVE SCUM: THE MOVIE

People in the theater were actually busting their guts when the entire loop became a montage of all the different ways Cage died (the entire theater burst into laughter when he got run over by that truck trying to get out of his pushups ), and I heard at least one person say "Save Reload".

Movie has a very good pace, didn't feel like they wasted time on anything, and it was very enjoyable all throughout. I didn't mind the ending, since I had a theory on what just happened, and it was an ending I could live with instead of being a copout.
Saved-state the movie.
omimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 11:18   Link #79
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
They should've [(re)re]named the movie "All You Need Is Grind".
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-10, 11:45   Link #80
ImperialKnight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-d...ow-bomb-2014-6

What'd you guys think?

Despite getting awesome reviews the movie isn't doing so hot in the US.

It's a shame because it kinda gives more reason why Hollywood these days don't go for newer stuff and instead fall back on sequels or franchises.


Quote:
They should've [(re)re]named the movie "All You Need Is Grind".
Pretty much was
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.