AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Old 2016-06-12, 17:28   Link #1
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn

Classical Fantasy/Fantasy-comedy

OK, I'm a big fan of fantasy, whether it be your medieval sword-and-sorcery or stuff that sometimes comes closer to modern in its style. I remember I used to get plenty of good fantasy holding to the classical style. Good examples could include a range of things including Elemental Gelade, Star Ocean EX and more-serious series like Ys or Record of Lodoss War. Lately though, it seems like fantasy has fallen into two groups, the "tongue-in-cheek" style that spends half its time making fun of the classic tropes and the other half making sure that things don't follow those tropes, and the "harsh reality" style that makes sure that several of your favorite characters die and you're doomed to constantly worry that your other favorites might soon join them. There's not necessarily anything wrong with either of these, or the series that don't make fun but still keep reminding the audience that they're looking at something fantasy; some of my recent favorites fall into these categories, but I miss the older style. I want more of the more classical stories, the series that tried to immerse me in the fantasy without forcing me to bring reality into it.

Therefore, I'm looking for more fantasy series that follow a more classical style. Series like the ones I mentioned earlier, or Slayers, where your comedy isn't about tropes or the fantastic nature of the world, and where people can die, but generally death is only used for serious wham moments. Old and new are both fine, but nothing that was clearly made for merchandising (like several 'mon series), and no need to mention super-popular several-hundred-episode-long series that meet these criteria, I know them and probably wouldn't have time to catch up if I wanted to. I greatly prefer series that are at most a few seasons long, not counting sequels.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 01:37   Link #2
jedinat

Well, you've seen The Twelve Kingdoms right? Pretty much bar-none the best fantasy anime there is.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 04:24   Link #3
Kotohono
Yuri 'serator

Send a message via Skype™ to Kotohono
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Well, you've seen The Twelve Kingdoms right? Pretty much bar-none the best fantasy anime there is.
I hugely 2nd'd The Twelve Kingdoms, it's an absolute must for any fantasy fan.

I'd also highly suggest Seirei no Moribito & Akatsuki no Yona as well.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-13, 07:52   Link #4
AntonKutovoi

How about "Bastard!!" or "Arslan Senki"?
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 14:25   Link #5
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn

Seen at least part of all these, but I'll look at them again. Any others? Perhaps a bit more light-hearted, like Slayers, Elemental Gelade, etc.?
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 14:28   Link #6
Tenzen12

Rune soldier Louie (comedy spin off if Lodoss war)
Zero no tsukaima
Seiken blacksmith

I will probably add some more later