AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2003-11-25, 15:26   Link #41
JAppi
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gureibi wo aishite iru
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
It does hurt. The worst is when you really fall in love with a series, and you watch as parts of the story and dialog get butchered by them so the vast majority of the fans watching it don't appreciate the story as much as you know they could.

It's more than egos, it makes people rethink why they sub at all. Speedsubbing sucks, ask just about every fansubber :P

-Tofu

And I say mindless leechers because they tend to not care about the quality of what they download.

Wow, that is an insightful post. Maybe I should put it in my signature.
JAppi is offline  
Old 2003-11-25, 19:25   Link #42
Spyre
"Soon"
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
The reason I hate them is because they dont care whatsoever about the anime at all, they just care about themselves, and the size of their channel. Their neverending releasing of licensed material (GITS, SEED, etc etc), combined with their Urban Vision incident makes all this more apparent. They are nothing more than a bunch of warez kiddies.

*waits for idiot AJ-supporters to claim they do respect the American anime community*
__________________
Member of Mugen
Spyre is offline  
Old 2003-11-25, 20:26   Link #43
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
At the end of their demise...they attempted to produce decent quality fansubs...and they accomplished it with about the same amount of mistakes any other average group makes. But because they were aiming for quality...it deeply cut into their speed release schedule and they eventually self-destructed.
Enragin_Angel is offline  
Old 2003-11-25, 21:21   Link #44
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
It does hurt. The worst is when you really fall in love with a series, and you watch as parts of the story and dialog get butchered by them so the vast majority of the fans watching it don't appreciate the story as much as you know they could.

It's more than egos, it makes people rethink why they sub at all. Speedsubbing sucks, ask just about every fansubber :P

-Tofu

And I say mindless leechers because they tend to not care about the quality of what they download.
--------For your information, not all leechers are mindless and dumb. Your generalization is terrible. I for one know quality and pick and choose what I download from which fansubber. You should be more confident and proud of your works than that.

Grifis
__________________
"I have a dream..."
Grifis is offline  
Old 2003-11-25, 22:53   Link #45
Tofusensei
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Umm, I wasn't saying all leechers are mindless and dumb. There are different types of leechers, and the mindless variety is one of the types (and sadly, there seems to be a lot of this type) :P

Don't misinterpret what I am saying ^_^;;;

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline  
Old 2003-11-26, 03:55   Link #46
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
I'd like to say something about AJ's brand of speed subbing that always irritated me. They would put out the first 4 episodes of a show with lightning speed. They'd sub the episode within two days of its airing. Then they'd ignore the show while the other groups slowly catch up. Finally, about 2 weeks after AJ had finished episode 4, another group finally subs that episode.

Then AJ subs episodes 5 and 6 in a two day span, followed quickly by episode 7. Now the other groups are 3 weeks behind and once again AJ stops subbing until another group has gotten up to episode 7. Guess what happens then? AJ promptly picks up the project again.

It was as if the speed wasn't really important to them. All they cared about was being one up on the other subbers. They were content to ignore a project for week after week until someone got close to them. Then they were off in a flash without ever getting passed.

That's an example of how the lacked respect for other subbers and for other fans. All they cared about was beating the competition, not the anime or the fans.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline  
Old 2003-11-26, 13:47   Link #47
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis
--------For your information, not all leechers are mindless and dumb. Your generalization is terrible. I for one know quality and pick and choose what I download from which fansubber. You should be more confident and proud of your works than that.

Grifis
Then you're clearly one of the few discriminating leechers who chose not to download AJ releases, so obviously Tofu's comments weren't directed at you. You should be more confident and less defensive than that.
LordBrian is offline  
Old 2003-11-26, 23:57   Link #48
JAppi
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gureibi wo aishite iru
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
And I say mindless leechers because they tend to not care about the quality of what they download.
--------For your information, not all leechers are mindless and dumb. Your generalization is terrible. I for one know quality and pick and choose what I download from which fansubber. You should be more confident and proud of your works than that.

Grifis

He specified Mindless leechers, so that means that it doesn't apply to the non-mindless leechers.

Hurrah, my nested quotes actually worked!
JAppi is offline  
Old 2003-11-27, 22:06   Link #49
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
Then you're clearly one of the few discriminating leechers who chose not to download AJ releases, so obviously Tofu's comments weren't directed at you. You should be more confident and less defensive than that.
------I didn't know that leechers were specified in different groups like 'mindless leechers', 'non-mindless leecher' or whatever. I guess I'm fairly new to this 'language' here. When I see 'leechers are dumb' and 'mindless leechers', I can't help but think that he's blanketing the whole leechers population hence the comment.

Grifis
__________________
"I have a dream..."
Grifis is offline  
Old 2003-11-28, 01:42   Link #50
JAppi
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gureibi wo aishite iru
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis
------I didn't know that leechers were specified in different groups like 'mindless leechers', 'non-mindless leecher' or whatever. I guess I'm fairly new to this 'language' here. When I see 'leechers are dumb' and 'mindless leechers', I can't help but think that he's blanketing the whole leechers population hence the comment.

Grifis

Leech is a fairly indefinte term. The actual meaning is derived from the context. If you are offended by the word leecher it's only if you interpret it's meaning to mean you as well.
JAppi is offline  
Old 2003-11-28, 14:16   Link #51
biscuitless
bad dog, no biscuits
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to biscuitless Send a message via MSN to biscuitless Send a message via Yahoo to biscuitless
ok, ok. ive been reading this and i have been asking myself, what is the imfamous naked child event? hopefully, it is about some anime and not any pedophile kinda thing, cause that is just wrong. answer this, and this could sway my opinion of liking anime junkies. by the way, the other good release they had was get backers.
__________________
in the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen.

biscuitless is offline  
Old 2003-11-28, 14:53   Link #52
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fish-shape Paumanok
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitless
ok, ok. ive been reading this and i have been asking myself, what is the imfamous naked child event? hopefully, it is about some anime and not any pedophile kinda thing, cause that is just wrong. answer this, and this could sway my opinion of liking anime junkies. by the way, the other good release they had was get backers.
In Anime Junkies' sub of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex episode 16, they completely mistranslated the Korean of one script as "Are you aware of the frequent occurrences of the mass naked child events within the country?". This has often been used as an argument against fansubbing in general by people who don't like the fansub community, to show how badly translated all fansubs are.
__________________
Learn to define and spell mo
Shii (formerly known as ashibaka)
Shii is offline  
Old 2003-11-28, 23:37   Link #53
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Wow! Lots of AJ-bashing going on in this thread, nothing different from the usual...

Anyway, I'm going to take my usual stance on this issue: Anime Junkies eventually became a good fansub group. Around late July or August, when the summer series began to air, barely anybody downloaded any of their releases. I, however, was still somebody who sampled their work along with most of the other groups. I tried every group that was doing Onegai Twins and I found their version to be beaten only by Lunar anime (though this is just my opinion), putting it quite a bit above the zillion other groups that were doing it. After the first episode, I waited for their release of the second episode, then their third episode. It wasn't until the fourth episode that they failed to deliver within five days, so I downloaded the Lunar version and stayed with that until the very end. Unfortunately, AnimeJunkies never really did anything after that.

The other summer series that they did, Happy Lesson Advance, was also very comparable to Anime-Keep's release of it, and I followed that until they stopped releasing it as well, which was around episode 5. I don't know what Anime-Keep is doing with the series now because they haven't released an episode in well over a month. I hope that series didn't end up like Anime Junkies.

If AnimeJunkies were still around, I'd probably check out their versions just like I always have. However, I'm disgusted by the treatment some of you guys are giving them, especially those of you who gave their releases no chance at all, even though the quality was pretty damn good. Tell me, if they were the only group subbing a series, would you still refuse to download it? That doesn't sound like what a true anime fan to me... you posers!
boneyjellyfish is offline  
Old 2003-11-28, 23:50   Link #54
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
.

If AnimeJunkies were still around, I'd probably check out their versions just like I always have. However, I'm disgusted by the treatment some of you guys are giving them, especially those of you who gave their releases no chance at all, even though the quality was pretty damn good. Tell me, if they were the only group subbing a series, would you still refuse to download it? That doesn't sound like what a true anime fan to me... you posers!

When AJ was the only group doing Gravion i bought the HK's of it.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2003-11-28, 23:58   Link #55
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
When AJ was the only group doing Gravion i bought the HK's of it.
Wait a second... you paid money to watch Gravion? BWAHAHAHAHA!
boneyjellyfish is offline  
Old 2003-11-29, 00:08   Link #56
JAppi
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gureibi wo aishite iru
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I'm disgusted by the treatment some of you guys are giving them, especially those of you who gave their releases no chance at all
Not everyone has enough time to watch 5 different subs of the same show. So, naturally we go with the groups we know are good. Why take a chance with AJ? The only thing AJ had to begin with was their speed. They lacked their speed on most of the summer releases so the only group who really cared for their subs, (The mad mindless leechers) decided that they can go to hell.


Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Tell me, if they were the only group subbing a series, would you still refuse to download it?
Yes I would refuse to Download it, but that arguement is rather irelevant because they usually only subbed the popular shows, the shows that the mad mindless leechers would wanna watch. I don't think AJ even considered Massugu Ni Ikou. Lunar though is working on a sub of it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
That doesn't sound like what a true anime fan to me... you posers!
Typical AJ fanboi tactics. Trying to insult us and be-little us.

I'm suprised no one has used the lame "OMG IT IS FREE STUFF J00 SHOULD STOP TEH COMPLAINZ0ring!" argument. Which is a rahter pathetic arguement. What about volunteers? Do they do a half assed job? or the UN, they shouldn't have to do a good job because they don't get payed? Plenty of stuff in the world is free, and we still expect quality from it, why should anime fansubs be any different?
JAppi is offline  
Old 2003-11-29, 00:22   Link #57
FinFangFoom
The Man, The Legend......
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redmond, WA
Age: 37
Quote:
or the UN, they shouldn't have to do a good job because they don't get payed?
I thought that was the case.

Actually I think it really is hard to bash someone who does something for free. And if Anime Junkies really where just leecher whores why did they never pick up Naruto? I think everyone would have to agree that it is the number one leeched anime of all time. But overall I worry to much about getting the best versions of each episode that I can't bring myself to check out a group with a bad rep over a well established group. (Someone called AnimeKeep the new AnimeJunkies in another thread, now im nervous about getting their peacemaker). Although I do download the first version of anything that comes out just in case it gets licensed before my favored group releases. Although I dont watch it untill I get the one I want. Man im paranoid.
__________________

OFFICIAL GAYEST SIGNATURE ON ANIMESUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear
ps. hey FinFangFoom, can you change that pic of yours in the sig because when ever I read threads that have your message post in it would make people around me think I am watching gay porn, make it smaller or something
FinFangFoom is offline  
Old 2003-11-29, 00:33   Link #58
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Typical AJ fanboi tactics. Trying to insult us and be-little us.
Oh noooo, I've been called an AJ "fanboi" by JAppi! My life is over! *cry* JAppi, I expected better from you. Actually, that's a lie. JAppi, you used stock responses to me, and those are typical tactics of an anti-AJ "fanboi".

By the way, what is your point anyway? Are you trying to make yourself look big by doing the exact act that you are saying is wrong? Belittling people from AnimeJunkies is okay, but as soon as they criticize somebody else it's wrong? What kind of twisted logic is that, anyway? I don't mind if I'm being called an AJ "fanboi" by the likes of you, however, I DO mind if my criticism is thrown away just because I show some support for AnimeJunkies.

In my crazy world, everybody deserves a second chance. I didn't care for AnimeJunkies when the whole Ninja Scroll atrocity happened, and I laughed when I saw the mistranslation for Mass Naked Child Events. However, when the new season came around, I gave them their second chance and I didn't regret my decision to do so for an instant. They delivered with good fansubs, and it's people like you who don't give them that second chance that I don't like.

Furthermore, I have no conclusion to make... oh wait, I just thought of something. I don't really care about AnimeJunkies the group, all I care about is the sweet, sweet fansubs. If the subs are high quality, then I don't give a rat's ass about who puts the damn words in it. If there are two groups doing a series, and one is doing a cruddy job on it while AJ is doing a fantastic job on it, I'm going to download the AnimeJunkies version. If it's of a higher quality, then I'm going to damn well get it. If they continue to release quality fansubs, then I don't care what the hell they did in the past. For me, they're the best out there and I'm not going to force myself to put up with a piece of crap just because I don't agree with the group's morality.
boneyjellyfish is offline  
Old 2003-11-29, 00:44   Link #59
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fish-shape Paumanok
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
JAppi, I expected better from you.
Uhh, if you ever go on #animesuki, you should know better than to expect anything polite from JAppi, other than him not insulting you. Well, actually, he did compliment me in the how-are-fansubs-made thread, but that's because I was trolling
Quote:
However, when the new season came around, I gave them their second chance and I didn't regret my decision to do so for an instant.
AnimeJunkies should have disbanded for disgracing the fansubbing community, period. Their subs sucked enough for people to take notice, and they ridiculed the R1 licensing companies. There was no good reason for them to continue.
__________________
Learn to define and spell mo
Shii (formerly known as ashibaka)
Shii is offline  
Old 2003-11-29, 00:49   Link #60
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: AnimeSuki Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
JAppi, I expected better from you.
Uhh, if you ever go on #animesuki, you should know better than to expect anything polite from JAppi, other than him not insulting you.
Hmm... perhaps you should include the full quote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
JAppi, I expected better from you. Actually, that's a lie.
Zing!

Quote:
AnimeJunkies should have disbanded for disgracing the fansubbing community, period. Their subs sucked enough for people to take notice, and they ridiculed the R1 licensing companies. There was no good reason for them to continue.
Their subs DID get better, but they were already shunned by the community so much that it just wasn't worth it anymore, it would seem.
boneyjellyfish is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.