AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-11, 01:12   Link #321
GundamZZ
残念美人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Feels like some cheap way to try to cash in the success of Amagami SS, but just with another dating sim-style game.
Maybe it's an attempt that all other anime trying to avoid: five bad endings and one good ending.....
__________________
流麗のヒステリア Hysteria of flowing beautifully
三つ腕のリヒティ Lichty of three arms
重剣のクロエ Chloe of giant sword
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 01:20   Link #322
Jerseykid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Giving each girl their own episodes always strikes me as a lazy way to get out of actually putting effort into designing a coherent story.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 01:26   Link #323
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Well, when you do anime based on dating sim games, there's not much else you can do without completely changing things around. And omnibus formats really aren't that widely used at all. Most of the time, it tends to be a typical harem with an indecisive or, god forbid, bad end.

Very rarely will it end with the male lead actually picking someone (Mashiro-iro Symphony being one of the only ones I can immediately think of that did that) or actually get the harem in any conclusive fashion.
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 01:40   Link #324
NeutralZero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
After Amagami... it seems the age of anime base from a dating sim where they were just dumping one flag event after another of each character then going for a single route usually the main heroine is now over...
That may sounds lazy but its a win win sitch... the viewers get to see parts they want and less trouble by making the story more complicated and confusing and or straying away from the orinal route like what they did in Kimikiss and such
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 07:12   Link #325
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Damn... after 5 episodes of boredom and idiocy.. our MC gathered all his balls and confessed his feelings...

I really love this episode (best episode for now). I nearly cried. I'm a fan of childhood romances and development will surely make me love this series even though it has a lot of flaws in the romantic side..

Wait.. Is this an arc series? It seems like this arc is finished. Will we have another arc... Will this be like Yosuga no Sora? I meant the arc and not "that"...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 07:18   Link #326
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Feels like some cheap way to try to cash in the success of Amagami SS, but just with another dating sim-style game.
If Amagami SS is successful, they why AIC didn't animate Photo Kano? They can do better than Madhouse.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 11:22   Link #327
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Well, safe to say after this episode I'll probably stop watching this. The weird angled close ups are starting to rub me the wrong way and quite honestly, I'll just wait for Fukudahda to make an H of this series because it makes a lot more sense that the actual animé
__________________
She's in your internets, watching you masterdebate.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 11:49   Link #328
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Ah, this anime's done by the Amagami people? It did remind me of it - nice looking art and animation, but lukewarm (neither good nor bad) story and direction and dull protagonist.

I was losing interest, but after 6 and knowing there'll be endings for other girls, I guess I'll keep watching. I prefer this way of giving each girl a chance to shine.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 12:16   Link #329
YourIdeas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
Ah, this anime's done by the Amagami people? It did remind me of it - nice looking art and animation, but lukewarm (neither good nor bad) story and direction and dull protagonist.

I was losing interest, but after 6 and knowing there'll be endings for other girls, I guess I'll keep watching. I prefer this way of giving each girl a chance to shine.
Not quite.

Amagami anime was done by AIC, Photo Kano done by Madhouse.

The developer of the dating sim for both series, Enterbrain, is the same however.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 12:23   Link #330
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Looks like it's going to be omnibus after all
Spoiler for Next episode screenshot?:
Great, this girl and Haruka are my favortire characters in Photo Kano.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 12:52   Link #331
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
Not quite.

Amagami anime was done by AIC, Photo Kano done by Madhouse.

The developer of the dating sim for both series, Enterbrain, is the same however.

Oh. Thx for the correction.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 13:11   Link #332
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 47
I think the only other girls I'm interested in would be Aki (maybe it's the glasses?) and Uchida. However, I doubt we'll see a Uchida storyline. Wouldn't that be delicious though? Stalker spygirl becoming the subject.

Endless "Stalking the stalkers" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 06:01   Link #333
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 39
"We're sorry for taking so many lewd shots of you. You're just the prettiest girl in school, whom we thought deserved her own photo gallery. Our intentions were good and honest, really."

I couldn't tell of the club president was honest or not.

At least he gave her the chance to not have them displayed if she would've wanted that.

So they're going into this omnibus-style? I guess making a coherent story out of it, that still involves all the girls was just too hard for the writers...
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 06:47   Link #334
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: bakanki.blogspot.com
Though I like Haruka (the character), but I find her route on the game wasn't that interesting, mostly because most of the time her interaction with Kazuya is hard to watch, it only gets better near the end. The anime adaptation of her route (eps 5+6) weren't that good to me too, mostly due to unnecessary search for Haruka that could be use for more romantic event for sub event or after-school date event.

But I can see why they shifted from Haruka H(appy) story on the introduction to her L(ove) story because L part shed more light to her and Kazuya back story of why Haruka became what she is today, while the H story barely touch that part. But the compensation is we get sudden change of ambiance from the light-heart ecchi comedy with the Photography Club antic to *forced* drama, development, and conclusion due to lack of time.

A little bit nitpicky for detail, I think it'll be better if the final scene on the Haruka room showed the picture of Kazuya and Haruka after they became couple instead gravure pictures of Haruka Kazuya took

Oh, I think they also screwed up the preview segment. They showed the scene where Hikari smiles (and jumps energeticly) but then Kudou mention that Hikari is a distant/cool person who never smiled on the past 6 months. It kinda ruins it >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
Episode 6 ends Haruka's arc and overall, only counting episode 5 and 6, I can now see why this could be the spiritual successor to Amagami.
CMIIW but "the spiritual successor of Amagami" title has been given to this due to the game success, not the anime ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think it's going to be hard to top this one. Haruka really feels like the main girl so they should have saved this arc for last.
I agree completely. Haruka is the main/cover heroine of the series, from the introduction episodes she got the most appearance, Photography Club members (and some other characters) have role and participate on her story, and her route get 2 episodes quota. I think it definitely should be the last arc instead >,>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Blargh. What exactly was Maeda's problem in that beach scene? And what kind of drama relies on him to touch a girl's breast for character development? And it was just such a complete throw in out of nowhere as well. I don't even understand the point the of that. And the chemistry between Maeda and Niimi seems so terribly forced. At least they actually finally explain why Niimi likes him so much although is also means I've come to the conclusion that kid-Maeda is a way better character than grown up Maeda. And it's just hilarious that this show can, with a straight face, say that telling a girl that a bunch of weirdos have been taking so many secret photos of her the whole time can lead to a good outcome.
As ridiculous as it sounds, but Kazuya has trauma of seeing Haruka playing soccer due to the accident where he tackled her

The chemistry and development does seems forced, on the game it was better because beside the main event, we can see they interact more from the talking segment, sub events on the school, and after-school date events. But both of them already love each other from the beginning anyway, it's only Kazuya (conveniently) forget their promise after they became distant because of their surrounding for the sake of the story

As for the Haruka pictures Photography Club took, at least they didn't put the dangerous pictures of her, from what shown it's all clean. On the H story of Haruka, Uchida explains what Photography Club truly does (though I'm not buying it). Besides, if all this time they really took too dangerous pictures, the club would've been taken down already and they would've been expelled from the complaints of all girls throughout the school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The question is why this studio would attempt an omnibus format not only with one-cour, but only a fraction of one-cour because they wasted the first three to four episodes on shameless fanservice with no progress.
I think because the anime was made to introduce viewers to this series so they will buy the game which was released almost in the same time when introduction episodes end. And after they fallen for the characters and bought the game, to increase the Blu-ray/DVD sales they include exclusive DLC bonus for the Blu-Ray so those who already bought the game will buy the Blu-Ray/DVD too. Evil marketing sure, but it's quite common nowadays I think

So now for the focused arc, the anime can just use the important main events, and to know more about the story, interaction, and other things anime couldn't adapted, the game is the place to get those. I think that's also why Kanon and Momoko route weren't adapted on the anime because the requirement to unlock those routes on the game was quite time-consuming (get at least one of all previous 7 heroine ending and finish Kanon route, respectively) so they only adapted fraction of those two girls's route on the anime. The player wouldn't have been motivated to fulfill the requirement if they can just watch the anime...... Oh but wait, there's already a manga that focused on Momoko route so scratch this >.<

It's not that I disagree that the introduction episodes could've been done much better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't say the first four episodes were a complete waste of time. Seeing how Maeda interacted to each girl differently, it seems to me that the first 4 episodes were hinting on which buttons to press to get each girl (though that was jarring since his character didn't seem consistent).
Pretty much. Though it did make his characteristic is inconsistent/unclear, but it's pretty normal for a person to act differently depending on who he/she's interacting with to get close to that other person.

But if it were me, I'd make so on Aki part Kazuya only gets to when he saw Aki illicitly entry the first time, not until the part where he blackmails her, so I could use the time to give Hikari, Rina, and Tomoe more appearance. I'm really curious how they will handle Hikari arc next chapter due to her lack of screen time and route progress on the introduction chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobester11 View Post
Great series so far! I'm loving the BGM of this! I think this series is pretty underrated...
That's what you get for having the 3 episode rule, which is totally BS.

I think the director's having a hard time with this ^^; I mean the purpose of the first 3 episodes is to establish the characters right? Their problems and etc... What I don't get is why did he do 2 episodes for the haruka arc? Not that I'm against it, but because of that there's not enough episodes for the other girls. It's kinda awful and pitiful if he does 1 girl in one episode, that would end up being unrealistic and rushed...

But for now, let's see that happens XD
I love the BGM where Kazuya searched Haruka on eps 5. But the BGMs from the game were great too.

For the development, it is fast if we only include the main story. I mean even the two mangas of Hikari story only last 7 chapters the most, only 1 volume each. But that also the same for Amagami manga of Haruka and Ai story. To get the full experience of the development, in the end playing the game is the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I think the only other girls I'm interested in would be Aki (maybe it's the glasses?) and Uchida. However, I doubt we'll see a Uchida storyline. Wouldn't that be delicious though? Stalker spygirl becoming the subject.

Endless "Stalking the stalkers" Soul
Uchida does have her route on the game, and early part of her story was already adapted on introduction episodes, but with no more episodes left for other heroines other than the 7 main heroines, I think the best chance for Uchida route is to be included as bonus episode for Blu-ray/DVD.
__________________
bakAnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 09:52   Link #335
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Episode 6

This episode isn't as hateful as the others, but it still lacks emotional impact. The characters and the romance aren't compelling, and there isn't anything else to liven things up. What the heck were the creators thinking when they inserted that flashback at the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
And I still have a problem with how Kazuya's "interest in photography" never goes beyond the girls and is never actually explored or developed into anything meaningful, even on the side, so it makes his "interest" feel really half-hearted/insincere and practically just an excuse to take (semi-)ecchi photos of the girls.
I'd say that this aspect of the show could be redeemed if the photos were any good. Figure and portrait photography relies heavily on good lighting to bring out the subject. But the character faces in the show are too ugly to allow for this. The character poses tend to be pretty ugly as well. Then again, the storyboarder thought that it would be a good idea to destroy an emotional moment with an ugly filter:



And how is this supposed to be a portrait good enough to display? Is the Photography Club supposed to be filled with tasteless hacks, or is that only true of the show's artists?



Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Well, when you do anime based on dating sim games, there's not much else you can do without completely changing things around. And omnibus formats really aren't that widely used at all. Most of the time, it tends to be a typical harem with an indecisive or, god forbid, bad end.
I think that the omnibus format betrays a dearth of creativity. I guess it's the only option out there if the anime staff wants to preserve the story events of a game, but why is that a worthwhile goal if they are incompatible with each other to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Very rarely will it end with the male lead actually picking someone (Mashiro-iro Symphony being one of the only ones I can immediately think of that did that) or actually get the harem in any conclusive fashion.
It can be done, but it requires creativity and skill on the part of the anime staff. It's too bad that that Kimikiss got such a backlash since it made a game effort at it.

As an aside, why the heck is the term "omnibus" used for this format? Wouldn't "collection" be more appropriate.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 14:10   Link #336
NeutralZero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
Looks like this is seires would rather follow Yosuga no Sora than Amagami... Considering its a 12 ep anime...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 15:33   Link #337
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
Looks like this is seires would rather follow Yosuga no Sora than Amagami... Considering its a 12 ep anime...
though i doubt there will be the same ending as Yosuga no Sora. i dont see him switching focus that seriously atm. i do think they might do another arc that ends in nothing more serious than friendship. id rather not see him switch interests as i find its good enough now and it'll ruin the story if he changes Haruka for another girl.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 17:29   Link #338
NeutralZero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
They could go for the extended ver that is present in the Photo Kano Kiss if they wish to stick to Haruka but chances are slim...
Probably partial reset similar to Yosuga no Sora...
If only they have taken the L(Photo) route rather than the H(Photography) route...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 19:49   Link #339
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
They could go for the extended ver that is present in the Photo Kano Kiss if they wish to stick to Haruka but chances are slim...
Probably partial reset similar to Yosuga no Sora...
If only they have taken the L(Photo) route rather than the H(Photography) route...
the male character's final choice is a bit different which is interesting in itself. it doesnt however excuse the progress wasted in the many episodes before the final 2 eps. id rather not see that happen again.

the biggest dissapointment which is understandable but it still turned out well is the fact he didnt leave the photography club and join the photo club. he knows the photography members well enough to jump ship to the legit club and still protect the girls from the photgraphy club. he ,ight just be sticking with the photography club just to keep tabs on them.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 22:25   Link #340
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
Looks like this is seires would rather follow Yosuga no Sora than Amagami... Considering its a 12 ep anime...
If only...if only...
__________________
She's in your internets, watching you masterdebate.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
high school, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.