|2012-11-28, 23:20||Link #1|
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Shows with White Knight/Paladin archetype MCs...
As the title says, I'm looking for anime with a MC that adheres to the White Knight / Paladin archetype.
1. The show doesn't have to be an action series, slice-of-life will do, preferably released within the last 10 years.
2. I don't mind an initially wimpy MC (I have a problem with protagonists that start strong, which I will state later) as long as their personal problems are portrayed realistically or within the bounds of the story universe. However, he should at least be able to stand up for himself when the need arises, especially towards the abuses by bullies, his own harem or by his tsundere love interest.
3. If the show is an action series, I would prefer an underdog MC (bonus points if he has weird, unique powers that can only win battles through ingenuity and creativity on the wielder's part) who wins his battles against overpowered opponents the hard way. By way of example, Kosuke Ueki counts, Kirito doesn't (unless it's true that he has a hard time defeating the angels).
My problem with protagonists that start strong are as follows:
1. They tend to be insufferable, arrogant assholes or unsociable, distant loners.
2. They tend to have ridiculously sob backstories intended to make the audience emphatize with them.
3. They're so ridiculously overpowered that absolutely no one can even touch them. As a result, battles are no longer a question of whether the hero wins the battle, but rather, HOW the hero wins the battle, which is usually in one-shot fashion.
4. They give the wrong notion that you don't need friends to win your battles and succeed in whatever you do (and that they're just a hindrance to you rather than support), that being badass requires a difficult childhood and that you can never become badass unless you give up your moral values.
Suggestions start now.