AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-12, 04:02   Link #621
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
It might help you, and many others, to wonder how society advances or regresses being stuck behind a giant wall for at least 100 years (all we're told so far is it's been 100 years since giants attacked, but no mention of how long humanity weathered attacks prior to that). By following that to its logical conclusion, you may find it less difficult to give this society the benefit of doubt when it comes to what it seems it can/could be capable of based on a wall that was built generations ago, and what it is capable of today.
... and that is?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 04:16   Link #622
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
... and that is?
I'm no manga reader but I imagine there's a situation similar to something like Sora No Woto,at the time the wall was built mankind had super advanced technology capable of building the wall but after centuries of living inside the wall the technology was lost.
Old 2013-04-12, 04:18   Link #623
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm no manga reader but I imagine there's a situation similar to something like Sora No Woto,at the time the wall was built mankind had super advanced technology capable of building the wall but after centuries of living inside the wall the technology was lost.
Probably, but again I really really hope this will be answered coz.. before the series ends (no plans in continuing this on the manga) Honestly, the more we go deep into it... the more questions comes out..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 04:46   Link #624
desrtsku
Hold this for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
They managed to build those with the Titans roaming and attacking? Oh my.. that's why many died...

The fact that The Great Wall was built for a long period (dynasties after another, probably a hundred years in total)..

I'm beginning to think that the author was so obsessed with big walls, giants and blades that he fails to realized how hard is to make a huge, wide walls while under constant attack. its pretty close to impossible.

"try building a concrete wall while another is jack hammering it at the same time..."
The way how they managed to construct the wall despite the titanic assaults will be covered later in the story, so you have to be patient ... really patient since it'll take a while before we reach that point.
Old 2013-04-12, 04:56   Link #625
BoyTitan

Episode 2 and 3 should be great 1 was just the start =)
Old 2013-04-12, 05:00   Link #626
n120cky

Would you think this series is just like another Zombie genres (RE, HOTD, etc) with the twist,the Zombies is being oversized?
Old 2013-04-12, 05:15   Link #627
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Well Jump did try to change his story. I'm pretty sure his success was a big middle finger to Shonen Jump since you know, they thought his story wouldn't be popular enough.
Like what articuzwolf said. It just might fail with Jump's target audience without revision.

Anyway, this show is certainly more interesting than I thought. Will be following it a couple more episodes to see how it goes.
Old 2013-04-12, 09:39   Link #628
Assort Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'll add that maybe since being confined within the walls, there are less resources than before to research new tech.

Then again, maybe it's also because they are feeling safe behind the wall so there's no incentive to think up something new
Assort Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 10:15   Link #629
revive4563

Well, I think that Animation quality including Opening of this is too awesome, while story isn't so good...It's getting boring gradually (I just read vol.10 yesterday)

After all, author is an ordinary rookie IMO.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:43   Link #630
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
Would you think this series is just like another Zombie genres (RE, HOTD, etc) with the twist,the Zombies is being oversized?
My thought exactly! Oversized zombies. But it's way too serious to be HOTD or RE, and the main character is too annoying, he belongs to another genre.
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:57   Link #631
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
You know... I've never thought of it like that.

But Titans are more like another race entirely (i.e Vampires, Aliens etc) rather than mindless reanimated corpses.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 14:00   Link #632
finallyanime
Lvl 49 PastryMancer

Send a message via Skype™ to finallyanime
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
My thought exactly! Oversized zombies. But it's way too serious to be HOTD or RE, and the main character is too annoying, he belongs to another genre.
Seriously....nooo not even close! Zombie shows have a completely different vibe. These things scare people to death almost literally. I have a rule not to read manga when watching the show because typically you end up being disappointed (vampire bund anyone??), but just in general, they had an amazing first episode.

I just hope the second episode doesn't slow down even though it probably will

& also...who the hell cares about the wall...goodness. Lol it's irrelevant to be honest. I will give you credit the show should definitely divulge the origins and how they were able to build it "in peace" or under attack, but I really wouldn't get hung up on something like that.
Old 2013-04-12, 14:24   Link #633
desrtsku
Hold this for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyanime View Post
& also...who the hell cares about the wall...goodness. Lol it's irrelevant to be honest. I will give you credit the show should definitely divulge the origins and how they were able to build it "in peace" or under attack, but I really wouldn't get hung up on something like that.
Erm, it's really hard to hold back about it so ... see you guys in 15 episodes. I hope no one will bring back this discussion until then.
Old 2013-04-12, 14:28   Link #634
chaos_animagic

I wonder about the "super titan"...

If the other walls are of similar design (as we saw that pic a few page back)

... what's keeping him from breaking all the "Gates" from all 4 sides and invading the Human Field from all sides? (not so safe a design now is it?)

Especially since this Super Titan seems to appear and disappear randomly that suggests some sort of Teleportation... that or he can run really fast.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 15:34   Link #635
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I wonder how Mikasa got so strong? She was clearly able throw Eren around, and the thugs ran away once they realised she was coming, so they obviously knew about her strength.

Endless "<nickname here>" Soul
Old 2013-04-12, 16:02   Link #636
finallyanime
Lvl 49 PastryMancer

Send a message via Skype™ to finallyanime
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Erm, it's really hard to hold back about it so ... see you guys in 15 episodes. I hope no one will bring back this discussion until then.
yeah i wasnt trying to be harsh, but i just was like...it's the first episode lollll. If they don't talk about it in the second, id be very surprised. I'll give it till the third to mention it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I wonder how Mikasa got so strong? She was clearly able throw Eren around, and the thugs ran away once they realised she was coming, so they obviously knew about her strength.

Endless "<nickname here>" Soul
yeah i was curious about that too and on that drawing, was it me or was there like 2 or 3 outer walls in that picture...? ill have to check again.
Old 2013-04-12, 16:34   Link #637
desrtsku
Hold this for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyanime View Post
yeah i wasnt trying to be harsh, but i just was like...it's the first episode lollll. If they don't talk about it in the second, id be very surprised. I'll give it till the third to mention it.
No, no! I wasn't upset or anything. By "holding back" I was talking about holding myself back from spoiling.
It's really nice to see you asking these questions and establishing theories ... and I don't want to ruin it. So I was thinking about disappearing completely from this thread until the 16th episode or if any major changes in comparison to the source material were to occur.
Old 2013-04-12, 18:07   Link #638
backbone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
IMO i don't hate the protagonist, i just hate his voice actor. Had gotten enough with his whiny voice ever since Guilty Crown aired
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 18:35   Link #639
Enternal

Uh oh! Love Live! is somewhat jacking this thread...
Spoiler for Titans!:
Old 2013-04-12, 19:28   Link #640
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
It might help you, and many others, to wonder how society advances or regresses being stuck behind a giant wall for at least 100 years (all we're told so far is it's been 100 years since giants attacked, but no mention of how long humanity weathered attacks prior to that). By following that to its logical conclusion, you may find it less difficult to give this society the benefit of doubt when it comes to what it seems it can/could be capable of based on a wall that was built generations ago, and what it is capable of today.
Humans actually in a corner tend to be stupidly inventive. Which is a nice way of saying: you just have to accept this is a dark fantasy type of series. Evil menaces don't work very well as the ancient Greeks or Chinese would have devised effective methods for killing the Titans long ago.

So, if you just accept the series for what it is, and if it stays consistent to the fictional world, then it should be good.

Otherwise you end up with something like the "event" that was eating apart Muv-Luv Total Eclipse. Few writers are knowledgeable enough to construct a truly authentic "real" world.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence