AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-14, 16:52   Link #761
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The narration before the OP said the titans appeared over a hundred years ago, so they haven't been around for long. I think it's kinda obvious they're the results of some kind of experiments gone horribly wrong. The titans remind me strongly of zombies. They're mindless cannibals just like them, expect they're giants. The only exceptions seem to be that big ass titan and the armored one. It looked like they had some kind of intelligence. Different mutation levels is also common in zombie stories nowadays. Anyway, this story is an interesting spin of the usual zombie tale.

That dream Eren had is very suspicious. His father experimenting on him? It wasn't clear whether this was a flashback or purely a dream, but if it's the former, I'm pretty sure where this is going... and I don't know if I like it.

Mikasa remains my favorite character. I'm curious to find out why she is so dedicated to Eren. She clearly puts his well-being over her own, and I'm afraid she's going to die horribly to save his reckless ass somewhere down the line. Characters like her always die early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post
NSFW
Badass Mikasa
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
More like nice ass Mikasa.
Old 2013-04-14, 16:52   Link #762
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Because the Titans were being attracted to the gate area where they could be shot down by cannons. They used boats because they were the quickest way out of there as following the river served as the most direct path into the next area.
If it really is just the 'quickest way', then there must have been other ways to get to the next area. Makes me wonder then why people didn't just walk to the next area if the boats are full. Kinda cheapens the moment where one parent said "at least take my child!" when these people should be high-tailing their butts out of there now that those ships are at capacity and it would be a while for their return trip.... but noo, you got stupid people trying to jump on the boats when they could've used that energy to walk to their destination.

Quote:
Surely they must have blocked off even the rivers with metal bars and the likes
Which begs the question, if metal bars are enough to stop the Titans, then why aren't the walls made of them? Surely they must be easier on the upkeep/maintenance than what looks like 20m thick walls.

Quote:
the wall held out for 100 years and would have lasted longer were it not for the colossal titan, they must have made countermeasures for everything
Not for EVERYTHING apparently.

Quote:
For now you can only speculate about whether or not they can swim/survive under water as we don't know if either is true.
Speculate? Nah, using logic here.

These titans look human, and thus without other information, one can safely assume certain things about them. For one, they need respiration, otherwise why the need for noses? As such, they should not be able to cross large bodies of water by walking through them because they need to breath. And that's not going into how walking the seabed (average depth? 3.7km) isn't just going to make goo out of their air filled bodies...

Which leads to the next thing, swimming. But swimming for instance needs a certain level of intelligence. Every ape can swim, but they do so by dogpaddling because they're too stupid to learn more effecient ways. And these titans so far show no intelligence that is better than your average ape, so it's safe to say that the best they can do is dog paddle. Considering that these beings actually need to eat (otherwise why eat people in the first place?), they can't just indefinitely dogpaddle until they randomly find a human,

But even assuming all the titans we have met so far are the dumb one, and there are some that can swim... how are these titans going to reliably locate the islands filled by humans across large bodies of water before starving to death?

Of course, with titans being a fictitious race, they might very well be able to indefinitely walk the marianas trench if need be because that they don't actually breath, are immune to sea pressure, only eat for recreation purposes rather than sustenance, or heck, simply because they are 'magical'. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief if that is the case.

But until that is shown in the anime? It's safer to assume that large bodies of water are a good deterrent against them, following the things we already know and what has so far to be shown.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 16:59   Link #763
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Armored titan breaking wall
Spoiler for HUGE gif:
That titan did a Colossus Shoulder Tackle right off of Marvel vs Capcom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
Spoiler for Possible final battle in the series:

Believe.
"It looks like I don't have to use my armor for this one."

"Ask Not The Sparrow How The Eagle Soars!"
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 17:00   Link #764
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That dream Eren had is very suspicious. His father experimenting on him? It wasn't clear whether this was a flashback or purely a dream, but if it's the former, I'm pretty sure where this is going... and I don't know if I like it.
I vote for flashback. When father left to go on the inlind trip pre-attack, he had the key with him. When Eren woke up in the barn post-attack, he wore the key around his neck. How did Eren get the key if he and father didn't meet post-attack?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 17:07   Link #765
Haak
Forever Alone...

I vote for prophetic dream. In the dream, Eren was screaming that his dad had been acting strange ever since his mom died but Eren hadn't met his father before he had that dream iirc. (EDIT: Oh balls, I forgot about the key. *facepalm*)

Quote:
Mikasa remains my favorite character. I'm curious to find out why she is so dedicated to Eren.
Although Mikasa was clearly predisposed to looking out for Eren, Eren's mother did ask Mikasa to look over Eren before she died and I'm sure Mikasa took that to heart.

Last edited by Haak; 2013-04-14 at 17:50.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 17:11   Link #766
azarhal

Quote:
The narration before the OP said the titans appeared over a hundred years ago, so they haven't been around for long. I think it's kinda obvious they're the results of some kind of experiments gone horribly wrong. The titans remind me strongly of zombies. They're mindless cannibals just like them, expect they're giants. The only exceptions seem to be that big ass titan and the armored one. It looked like they had some kind of intelligence. Different mutation levels is also common in zombie stories nowadays. Anyway, this story is an interesting spin of the usual zombie tale.
Big zombies though.

Quote:
Mikasa remains my favorite character. I'm curious to find out why she is so dedicated to Eren. She clearly puts his well-being over her own, and I'm afraid she's going to die horribly to save his reckless ass somewhere down the line. Characters like her always die early.
You will get a flashback that explain Mikasa's dedication to Eren, there was actually a tease of it in episode 2. Also, Mikasa is too badass to die early.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 17:26   Link #767
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I vote for flashback. When father left to go on the inlind trip pre-attack, he had the key with him. When Eren woke up in the barn post-attack, he wore the key around his neck. How did Eren get the key if he and father didn't meet post-attack?
Good point. I didn't notice his father had the key. That was definitely real then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Although Mikasa was clearly predisposed to looking out for Eren, Eren's mother did ask Mikasa to look over Eren before she died and I'm sure Mikasa took that to heart.
She was already very protective of Eren in the first episode, so I think there is more. Her composure is also abnormal. She has the look of somebody who's already been through some serious shit.
Old 2013-04-14, 17:41   Link #768
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
If it really is just the 'quickest way', then there must have been other ways to get to the next area. Makes me wonder then why people didn't just walk to the next area if the boats are full. Kinda cheapens the moment where one parent said "at least take my child!" when these people should be high-tailing their butts out of there now that those ships are at capacity and it would be a while for their return trip.... but noo, you got stupid people trying to jump on the boats when they could've used that energy to walk to their destination.

Which begs the question, if metal bars are enough to stop the Titans, then why aren't the walls made of them? Surely they must be easier on the upkeep/maintenance than what looks like 20m thick walls.

Not for EVERYTHING apparently.

Speculate? Nah, using logic here.

These titans look human, and thus without other information, one can safely assume certain things about them. For one, they need respiration, otherwise why the need for noses? As such, they should not be able to cross large bodies of water by walking through them because they need to breath. And that's not going into how walking the seabed (average depth? 3.7km) isn't just going to make goo out of their air filled bodies...

Which leads to the next thing, swimming. But swimming for instance needs a certain level of intelligence. Every ape can swim, but they do so by dogpaddling because they're too stupid to learn more effecient ways. And these titans so far show no intelligence that is better than your average ape, so it's safe to say that the best they can do is dog paddle. Considering that these beings actually need to eat (otherwise why eat people in the first place?), they can't just indefinitely dogpaddle until they randomly find a human,

But even assuming all the titans we have met so far are the dumb one, and there are some that can swim... how are these titans going to reliably locate the islands filled by humans across large bodies of water before starving to death?

Of course, with titans being a fictitious race, they might very well be able to indefinitely walk the marianas trench if need be because that they don't actually breath, are immune to sea pressure, only eat for recreation purposes rather than sustenance, or heck, simply because they are 'magical'. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief if that is the case.

But until that is shown in the anime? It's safer to assume that large bodies of water are a good deterrent against them, following the things we already know and what has so far to be shown.
And now we have arrived at the problem of this being the anime thread and me not being able to use manga knowledge at the risk of spoilers xD

But I can fully understand why an anime viewer would think like you do, especially since it's only episode 2. But most questions will be answered eventually, we can continue then (or in the manga thread if you don't care about spoilers).

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 17:57   Link #769
Phocus
◕ ◡ ◕

I found most of the episode to be boring, EXCEPT for this scene:

However, I understand that the exposition in this episode was necessary to build up to the next episode. And I can't wait for Potato-chan.
Old 2013-04-14, 17:59   Link #770
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phocus View Post
And I can't wait for Potato-chan.
OMG I almost forgot about her...second best character in the show!

Old 2013-04-14, 18:19   Link #771
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
But most questions will be answered eventually.
"Most" is relative, there's still a lot that the manga has yet to answer or even to address. I think that we aren't even half through the whole story, perhaps not even one third.
The anime viewers shouldn't get their hopes up and think that everything relevant will be answered this season. We don't even know how many chapters they will adapt, right?

What's important to remember is that this is a story that purposely leaves the readers/watchers in the dark on many important facts. This is one of its charms and that's one of the reasons it's so fascinating.

Supposedly every single bits that seems odd or strange will be clarified in the end...

Hopefully...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 18:25   Link #772
Iron Maw
The Black Wing

It's fair to assume the most pressing questions would at least be answered this season.

Quote:
OMG I almost forgot about her...second best character in the show!
How can she be second best when you forgot about her?
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 19:11   Link #773
Jetzero Infinity

Great episode again this week. It was mostly filler since it only really covered the last few pages of chapter 2 of the manga but the added stuff was pretty appropriate and it helped to flesh things out a bit. It added a lot to their motivation and it was interesting how some of the aftermath was dealt with.

As for next week I see they've decided to actually cover Eren's training instead of skipping it and highlighting it later through flashbacks like the manga did. Not sure whether or not it's for the best but we'll see how it goes.
Jetzero Infinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 19:17   Link #774
Doria

I have a question... If I'm understanding it correctly, there were a hundred years of peace pre-845, and before that, most of the human race was killed by the Titans, right? And the reason so many survived was because they were the ones inside the walls.

Is this correct? So the walls were not built (so far as we know) because of the Titans directly? Unless they built them while also fighting them off?

I've only read a little of the manga, and nothing's really mentioned regarding this at all, so maybe I'm missing something totally obvious. But it sounds like there was already some kind of conflict, in response to which, a group of people (maybe a nation? Or some other kind of group?) retreated to a fortress which, now that I think about it, is ridiculously large.

If Eren's father drugged him for what I'm sure most people would assume to be an obvious reason, then perhaps this isn't a natural species (in the sense of occurring through normal evolution or imported from elsewhere), but was created to destroy the fortress.

But then, that doesn't make sense either, since if so, it was a terribly conceived plan, since it took over a century to work... I don't know.

If anyone has any manga spoilers they'd like to share, I'd gratefully accept the answer in PM.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 19:39   Link #775
Iron Maw
The Black Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
I have a question... If I'm understanding it correctly, there were a hundred years of peace pre-845, and before that, most of the human race was killed by the Titans, right? And the reason so many survived was because they were the ones inside the walls.

Is this correct? So the walls were not built (so far as we know) because of the Titans directly? Unless they built them while also fighting them off?

I've only read a little of the manga, and nothing's really mentioned regarding this at all, so maybe I'm missing something totally obvious. But it sounds like there was already some kind of conflict, in response to which, a group of people (maybe a nation? Or some other kind of group?) retreated to a fortress which, now that I think about it, is ridiculously large.
That's what we are currently trying to find out ourselves. I find it rather hard to believe that these massive walls could have been built fast during the Titan attack without the Titans themselves noticing. I like the theory they were made for something else or maybe the original walls weren't as large as now. New walls might have been created while using the old ones as base/foundation.
Old 2013-04-14, 19:41   Link #776
Kirarakim

I actually think I enjoyed this episode more than the first. As how they dealt with refugee situation was pretty interesting to me.

One thing that confused me is at the end Eren and Mikasa looks like they aged which makes me think we have experienced a flash forward, but Armin looked roughly the same (well maybe it is just the character design).

Can people please not talk about manga stuff in here.
Old 2013-04-14, 19:44   Link #777
Iron Maw
The Black Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
One thing that confused me is at the end Eren and Mikasa looks like they aged which makes me think we have experienced a flash forward, but Armin looked roughly the same (well maybe it is just the character design).
I'm pretty sure that's what happened, but anime doesn't really make it clear and it's just sort of abrupt. That was the only real gripe I had with this airing.
Old 2013-04-14, 20:13   Link #778
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
How can she be second best when you forgot about her?
I meant that I forgot she would possibly be in the next episode.
3 Female Characters share my top 3 in this series and I shall never forget them! Neeeevvaaaahhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
There was a timeskip yes. During the Titan attack on the wall, Eren and Mikasa were not old enough to join the military yet. Armin looks young...because he's just naturally small and weak looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what happened, but anime doesn't really make it clear and it's just sort of abrupt. That was the only real gripe I had with this airing.
Less abrupt than the manga that had a timeskip to the end of their training rather than the beginning.

Old 2013-04-14, 20:15   Link #779
Guy Incognito
Odd Gentlemen

i thought that guard guy is kinda interesting but he most likey going to get killed soon
Guy Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 20:19   Link #780
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkyon View Post
i thought that guard guy is kinda interesting but he most likey going to get killed soon
I think he may have died in the gate attack. He has it good compared to the ones who directly eaten.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence