AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-15, 20:33   Link #841
Enternal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The way this series is going, you can't simply assume that Eren is the ONLY main character. For certain show, the protagonist is the main chara but for this show, I think they are trying to make it a 3-person protagonist. The reason is that, the dynamics between Eren, Mikasa, and Armin really compensate for each of their weaknesses.

Eren: He's also hotheaded, act before he thinks, and at times very short sighted. He's probably the least intelligent of the group but he's the most driven. In terms of strength, he's probably the middle of the three.
Mikasa: The strongest physically of the group. The most coolheaded. Rational but is not very driven. In terms of intelligent, she's probably the middle of the three.
Armin: The smartest of the group. He's driven but not that much but probably more so than Mikasa. He's the most rational of the group and can see things from a longer term perspective. "Live today first, become stronger, than fight". He's however the weakest of the group physically.

In a different perspective:
Eren: The legs.
Mikasa: The shoulders and main body.
Armin: The head.

You can't make a complete tita... uhh... human without all three components.

@Panzerklein
Damn. That's..... Lol!
__________________
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 21:50   Link #842
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 23:24   Link #843
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
You can't make a complete tita... uhh... human without all three components.
So you are saying... Gattai?
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 01:38   Link #844
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
That Day. The Fall of Zhiganshina - Part 2

Watched the second episode, and the first half of the episode not only elevated my blood pressure but made to sob for all those people's misfortune, helplessness, and tragedy.

The fear and despair vividly expressed in the eyes of the soldiers, civilians, and children was morbid, and yet very powerful. I both cringed and flinched at the sight of a Titan capturing a human and ready to eat him or her; these guys have normal teeth and not fangs, which makes the whole process of devouring people alive chaotically painful.

But, the true highlight of the episode was witnessing Eren going berserk, though I do understand his position and can empathize for everything he has gone through. However, I grant my praise to Mikasa, because now I understand her role is to keep Eren cool and make things stable; she'll resort to violently beat Eren to make him understand sense. Since the end of the episode show some timeskips, I get a feeling that on the next episode she'll be absolutely badass now that she grown into teen woman.

This show is getting better and better in both the drama and doomsday plot. Unlike Claymore, Shingeki no Titan doesn't feature any sort of biologically enhanced soldiers who can both stand their ground and eventually defeat the Titans with too much struggle and high casualty rates, as far as the anime has gone to reveal. Even the best and most fit hunters can fall prey to the Titans.
Mankind in that world is practically powerless and cannot do anything about it but to live inside the walls like livestock and pray that the Titans won't dare to breach another wall.

However, therein lies the dilemma: Would the people of the inner walls go on with their lives so aloof and carefree, disregarding that the Titans finally breached the outer wall?
Or, would they do something in respect to strike back?

Nonetheless, what I mean with striking back is not going blindly to the slaughterhouse but to know about the enemy, although the fatality rate skyrockets from 80 to 90 percent.
Seriously, I truly feel for the characters, since it's been a long while that a show like this has made me to loath and despise the antagonists and monsters with so much passion.

Last edited by Guido; 2013-10-08 at 22:23.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 01:40   Link #845
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Well, I don't hate it, so I guess maybe I came off a bit too critical. It's just that I felt the extra Eren angst was a bit over the top in how he lashed out at Armin. As a manga reader you should know why it felt weird, I hope. I'd rather not mention it yet because it's sort of a spoiler.
Is it because they're lovers? Oh god, it totally is. Surprise yaoi.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 02:20   Link #846
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
The order of things is kinda off.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 02:20   Link #847
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 34
I'll wait for the anime to end, and then I'll start reading the manga.

Changing topic, the second episode both cruelly and ruthlessly answered a troubled question that got answered a few days ago.

I guess that I didn't look ahead about the Titans destroying the outer wall and made the question in a rush.

How humans can procure food and water supplies to feed their population? and what happens if their population grows past a sustainable point?

Wouldn't bouts of starvation begin to occur due to food shortage?

Before Wall Maria was breached, mankind had a hundred years of peace and that's enough time for their numbers to have increased quite considerably.

The answer was that there's such a humongous distance from the outer to the inner walls that there is enough to cover vast amounts of land with sufficient water bodies and vegetation to raise livestock and do farming.

My rephrased question is what happens when the outer wall is breached, and mass quantities of survivors escape to the inner walls adding not only to the bulk of the local population but putting strain on the food supplies?

- As cruel and monstrous as it was, the adult "extras" were sent in a suicide mission coated as a campaign to retake the outer walls, which at the end provided the desired outcome: increasing the fatalities in order to reduce the population and alleviating the food crisis, if only a little bit.
- Monstrous as it was, unfortunately, they were left with no other choices, if they wanted to preserve food and water for the rest of the populace.

- What is truly monstrous is the people of the inner walls complaining, fighting against, and mocking the survivors. It was like sprinkling salt to their already open wounds; it is understandable that those inner folks have also been living sheltered in a life of complacency, but that doesn't give them the right to treat their peers and neighbors from the outer walls like burden or dead weight.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 02:23   Link #848
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Is it because they're lovers? Oh god, it totally is. Surprise yaoi.
Yaoi? I'm assuming Armin is a girl (Armin is going to voiced by Marina Inoue and she can't do a convincing a male voice).
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 02:26   Link #849
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
If there's any yaoi in this series, it's certainly not them. There's one yuri at least though.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 02:44   Link #850
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I'm just very curious why Eren decided to enlist, since its shown time and again the humans' tactics, training and equipment were completely useless when it comes to fighting the Titans. The scouting party were soundly beaten by a single slow, dim-witted Titan. The garrison troops were about as useful as throwing a bucket of water at a forest fire. Just where did Eren's confidence in Titan-killing come from? It's like the usual shounen fighting manga: when you have sufficient guts and determination, you don't need nothing else, just walk up to a dinosaur-extinction meteor and punch it back to space.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 02:47   Link #851
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Đế Quốc Đại Việt Thần Thánh
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Yaoi? I'm assuming Armin is a girl (Armin is going to voiced by Marina Inoue and she can't do a convincing a male voice).
Armin is 100% a boy, not girl.
__________________
War! War never changes
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 03:08   Link #852
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
The way this series is going, you can't simply assume that Eren is the ONLY main character. For certain show, the protagonist is the main chara but for this show, I think they are trying to make it a 3-person protagonist. The reason is that, the dynamics between Eren, Mikasa, and Armin really compensate for each of their weaknesses.

Eren: He's also hotheaded, act before he thinks, and at times very short sighted. He's probably the least intelligent of the group but he's the most driven. In terms of strength, he's probably the middle of the three.
Mikasa: The strongest physically of the group. The most coolheaded. Rational but is not very driven. In terms of intelligent, she's probably the middle of the three.
Armin: The smartest of the group. He's driven but not that much but probably more so than Mikasa. He's the most rational of the group and can see things from a longer term perspective. "Live today first, become stronger, than fight". He's however the weakest of the group physically.

In a different perspective:
Eren: The legs.
Mikasa: The shoulders and main body.
Armin: The head.

You can't make a complete tita... uhh... human without all three components.

@Panzerklein
Damn. That's..... Lol!
I don't think that Mikasa is that smart and rational. What she think of all things is to survive. She will fight to protect Eren and Armin. That's what Eren's mom told her to do so and she will keep doing it. Mikasa will be an elder-sister and Armin will be a younger brother to Eren. That's why when I saw Armin came back with breads for Eren and Mikasa, I found him cute. I found him like a younger brother who is caring about his brother and sister in a hard time.
__________________
Currently watching previous season anime: Chihayafuru 2

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 04:08   Link #853
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orange Road
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Yaoi? I'm assuming Armin is a girl (Armin is going to voiced by Marina Inoue and she can't do a convincing a male voice).
going to? she already did man lol, from the first episode and as Narrator as well

Marina Inoue was voicing some of male character before, and she did quite a good job before and this time as well
__________________
articuzwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 04:56   Link #854
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
The scouting party were soundly beaten by a single slow, dim-witted Titan.
Are you talking about the opening scene of episode 1?Because while the scouting party came back defeated I doubt it's just that one titan that did the damage.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 06:15   Link #855
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Are you talking about the opening scene of episode 1?Because while the scouting party came back defeated I doubt it's just that one titan that did the damage.
I sure hope that is the case. But so far we've never been shown a titan being toppled, not even once (except the small one that took direct hit from a cannon in ep 2). I can't help but wonder if all this spiderman stunt actually work ? Aren't our sword is just like insect bite to them ? Unless we are using poison, I doubt they will feel anything.
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 06:24   Link #856
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Tip, watch the opening again
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 06:50   Link #857
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
I'm just very curious why Eren decided to enlist,
To honor those who have fallen and he is right complacently would lead to the extinction of the human race.

Beyond those walls humans are ignorant of the world around them. It doesn't help they do not have actual flight technology.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 07:07   Link #858
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Are you talking about the opening scene of episode 1?Because while the scouting party came back defeated I doubt it's just that one titan that did the damage.
I guess it's just that for what it's been told so far it's hard to understand the difference between scouting party and regular soldiers if you don't pay close attention. They have basically the same uniform and equipment.

Anyway if someone had doubts, none of the soldiers we saw during the first invasion was from the scouting party. They were all "wall menders", as Eren call them, just like Hannes. You can tell by the emblem on their back. The scouting legion has two wings while the others have two roses.

If you saw how Hannes and his friends were acting in the beginning you can pretty understand why they were so completely helpless against Titans. Those guys never even got close to one in their whole career, and they never thought that day would come. Hannes chickened out because that was his first close encounter with one.

At the beginning of the very first episode, before the OP, you get a taste of how is the scouting party in action and how they attack a Titan. Unfortunately you can't see if their tactic was successful or not, he he.
__________________


Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-04-16 at 07:20.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 07:15   Link #859
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Đế Quốc Đại Việt Thần Thánh
Age: 27
Spoiler for Some funny image:
__________________
War! War never changes
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 07:32   Link #860
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
To honor those who have fallen and he is right complacently would lead to the extinction of the human race.

Beyond those walls humans are ignorant of the world around them. It doesn't help they do not have actual flight technology.

Honoring dead people is all well and good, but he's not going to achieve a whole lot when the current methodology doesn't work at all. In other words, unless Eren is some kind of super soldier, he's just going to end up just like the rest doing the same old thing that doesn't work: dead and having nothing to show for it.

Well, he's probably going to become some kind of super soldier anyway. His dad probably gave him some Captain America super soldier serum. Can it be mere coincidence that, in the same episode he recalls some bad memories about getting needle shots from his deranged-sounding doctor dad, he decides to become a soldier? Yeah, seen that coming a mile away. And that key around his neck? Yes, it'll probably unlock some hidden lab with a newly-finished-before-his-dad-died anti-Titan nuclear bomb device.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.